Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    From the end of the 2019-2020 NBA season to November 20, 2020 is gambit's purgatory.

It was the period of when gambit wouldn't shut up about Dwight Howard.

Only to realize on November 20,2020 that none of the contenders wanted Dwight Howard because they know he's garbage and not a game changer... which left gambit in shock.
    lakers don't ring without howard tbh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Spurs got DeMar DeRozan and became a clear playoff team. Made the playoffs, even, almost second round. Either you don't know what the word "literal" means, or "purgatory"... The consensus here seems to be the latter, and I agree, tbh. Lol at "1 year of purgatory"
    i said: "spurs aren't a clear playoff team and aren't a clear high draft pick team. literal purgatory."

that doesn't mean that being a playoff teams means you're out of purgatory either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does the trade exemption work?....let's say boston was interested in LMA, doubtful, but let's say it's so....can we trade LMA straight up for the exemption, an if so, what do we even do with it?
    TEs aren't items. It was wrong to frame the Hayward trade as Boston receiving the exception. In reality, trading Hayward and not getting back salary CREATED a trade exception because it basically left a credit on the Celtics' trade account they can use for a future transaction. If they traded for Aldridge, the TE could be used to take his salary, but then it would go away (or rather be reduced by $24 Million). SA would then have a new $24-Million TE created they could use in a subsequent transaction. But it's important that that TE isn't given to them by Boston. It's just an accounting thing. So in order to actually make a legal trade, the Celtics have to give SA something of value. That can be some cash or a throw-away second like what Charlotte did to make the Hayward trade legal. But it has to be something.

The TE can be used to take back up to $24 Million in salary (assuming at this point we're talking about the one created from an Aldridge-to-Boston deal) in trades for up to a year after it's created. This would include potential sign-and-trade deals next off-season -- thought SA would likely lose the TE anyway due to being under the cap by so much. Finally, they could use it to claim a waived player. So if for some reason there's a buyout candidate who the Spurs like but who doesn't plan to sign with them over the other teams, SA could put in a waiver claim and take that player against their will. Dallas reportedly told Corey Brewer back in 2011 that they'd claim him if he didn't agree to sign with Dallas, and that's what allegedly made him pick them over the Spurs, though Brewer also got a long-term deal as part of the exchange and won a ring as part of one of the weirdest careers of a journeyman that I can think of.

Anyway, yeah. The TE would have some use, but it would likely only be to take back salary or claim waived folks this season and wouldn't extend into next summer in all likelihood. In my opinion, they shouldn't trade Aldridge with the goal of having that TE. Boston would have to give up something of value to make it worthwhile, or rope in a third team to give SA something. Maybe SA would decide they need the money badly enough anyway.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    the raptors were in nba purgatory with demar too... and then traded for kawhi and won it all. i never cared about how "well" they played in the RS or about their playoff seeding, they were never a contender before kawhi.

when i said the spurs are in literal purgatory i meant nba purgatory. not a purgatory where you can't manage to fix things wtf is wrong with y'all?
    Last edited by gambit1990; 12-01-2020 at 04:15 AM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    bud's hawks were in nba purgatory too, despite franchise record in wins or whatever. no one EVER thought they were contenders. they were just a team that was not good enough and had to be broken up.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the raptors were in nba purgatory with demar too... and then traded for kawhi and won it all. i never cared about how "well" they played in the RS or about their playoff seeding, they were never a contender before kawhi.

when i said the spurs are in literal purgatory i meant nba purgatory. not a purgatory where you can't manage to fix things wtf is wrong with y'all?
    "The Spurs FO knows what it's doing"
    "The bubble team wasn't at full strength. It's wise to see how they mesh with Aldridge on the team."
    "Internal growth and development"
    "Who did you have in mind we should be trading for then?"

Man some people don't even give you the right to be frustrated the way the roster was managed. You can support the team and be critical of it at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would really like the FO to workout a sign and trade for Collins.

I think Collins is looking for around $27M to $30M per year. That matches well with a straight DDR for Collins swap. Think Atlanta might do that seeing as how it sounds like they don’t want to pay him that much and the signed Gallo to a big contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By gambits definition of purgatory it seems like 26 teams or so are in nba purgatory

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be nice if the Spurs threw him a training camp invite tbh.
    Damn, what happened? Thought this kid was a lotto pick two years ago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, what happened? Thought this kid was a lotto pick two years ago?
    Plenty of lotto picks bust out tbh, so it isn't that much of a surprise. Not sure what happened in his particular case.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plenty of lotto picks bust out tbh, so it isn't that much of a surprise. Not sure what happened in his particular case.
    Looks like he had bad foot issues and hadn’t recovered. Ouch. You know it’s bad with pistons waive you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he had bad foot issues and hadn’t recovered. Ouch. You know it’s bad with pistons waive you.
    Eh, Pistons just let Christian Wood walk to sign a bunch of washed up vets. They clearly have no idea what they're doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So gambits "purgatory" is " if i can see it wasn't going to work in hindsight, then regardless of the teams success, youre in purgatory,"

Basically he doesn't like DeMar, and doesn't think demar can be on a championship core team. He could totally be a third star, but otherwise we all agree DeRozan isn't a top 10 talent. That has nothing to do with purgatory.

The term purgatory evolved from teams who over pay bad talent from a time when the draft odds were weighted towards losing more than today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, Pistons just let Christian Wood walk to sign a bunch of washed up vets. They clearly have no idea what they're doing.
    Only Ellington 33, arguably fits that description. Otherwise: Plumlee 30, Grant 26, Okafor 24, Jackson 23. They also traded for Wright 28 and Musa 21, in addition to their four rookies.

So gambits "purgatory" is " if i can see it wasn't going to work in hindsight, then regardless of the teams success, youre in purgatory,"

Basically he doesn't like DeMar, and doesn't think demar can be on a championship core team. He could totally be a third star, but otherwise we all agree DeRozan isn't a top 10 talent. That has nothing to do with purgatory.

The term purgatory evolved from teams who over pay bad talent from a time when the draft odds were weighted towards losing more than today.

No chance DeRozan could be a third star on a championship contender. It's not about talent level, it's about skill set/mentality. He can't/refuses to even space to 3 off ball, let alone actually shoot them with any degree of regularity. He's also a terrible defender.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol..... cute! Just read the offer above my guy.
    Here it is: I bet you $100 that DDR and LMA are on the spurs' roster when the trade deadline expires.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's sad that it makes you think that gives you any credibility, face.
    Bro, you are a ing loon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, i was saying the spurs aren't in purgatory for years to come today.
    There isn't such a thing as "1 year of purgatory". Of course the Spurs aren't in purgatory for years to come: they're not in purgatory at all. That's why we're laughing at your wacky view.

i said: "spurs aren't a clear playoff team and aren't a clear high draft pick team. literal purgatory."

that doesn't mean that being a playoff teams means you're out of purgatory either.
    Being a clear playoff team is clearly being out of purgatory. And yes, I mean "NBA purgatory", generally and loosely defined as being too good a team to get a high draft pick, and too bad a team to make the playoffs. If you're making the playoffs, you at least have a punchers' chance to advance, which is simply not what purgatory means. Your definition could be stretched to mean "any team that isn't Conference Finals bound is in purgatory", apparently, and that simply isn't true (you can argue about teams like the previous iteration of OKC, who were consistently bounced in the first round, as your closest example to "purgatory", but even then I'd disagree with it).

You see, that's the problem with your logic. The Raptors weren't in purgatory - they stayed compe ive, made the playoffs consistently, built a winning culture and good team, then made a timely trade that put them over the edge. Had they tore it down if they shared your view that they weren't a "true contender", they never would've gotten a ring. It's this modern mentality that you're either a championship team, or you gotta tear it down and tank... That's not what teams are for. Sure, from a championship perspective it would be ideal, but NBA teams want to make a profit, and win consistently. Not every team's aspiration for a given year is a championship - and to be clear, the true point where a team is in "NBA Purgatory", is when they've actively tried to get out from their situation, and failed, either due to a lack of assets, bad management, bad drafting, or most likely a combination of all. Most "purgatory" teams have a few albatross contracts that tie up dead cap space, an overabundance of vets with a lack of young talent, and a losing mentality due to the bad situation taking its toll on the team. Spurs have literally none of that.

It's so weird to call the Spurs a purgatory team because they've actively changed and modified their roster build, to the point that now we're just a young team in need of development with a couple of vets leading the way. More than 3/4 of the roster are 26 or under - with almost no cap space tied up beyond next season. What part of that is purgatory-worth, exactly? The Spurs have been actively phasing out the vet components of the roster since at least, last season. I understand the frustration with DD and LMA, the two "biggest" vets, still being here, but they also have value to the young players as mentors, and I personally wouldn't mind letting them play out the year, then making a S&T after the season or just letting them walk. But there's no doubt the Spurs are going somewhere - not quite "literal purgatory".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here it is: I bet you $100 that DDR and LMA are on the spurs' roster when the trade deadline expires.
    Come on dude...... you know what the bets for.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take it or leave it. You're not winning this bet just because Demar and LMA get bought out so they can go play for some contenders, which is probably what this incompetent from office will do

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There isn't such a thing as "1 year of purgatory". Of course the Spurs aren't in purgatory for years to come: they're not in purgatory at all. That's why we're laughing at your wacky view.

Being a clear playoff team is clearly being out of purgatory. And yes, I mean "NBA purgatory", generally and loosely defined as being too good a team to get a high draft pick, and too bad a team to make the playoffs. If you're making the playoffs, you at least have a punchers' chance to advance, which is simply not what purgatory means. Your definition could be stretched to mean "any team that isn't Conference Finals bound is in purgatory", apparently, and that simply isn't true (you can argue about teams like the previous iteration of OKC, who were consistently bounced in the first round, as your closest example to "purgatory", but even then I'd disagree with it).

You see, that's the problem with your logic. The Raptors weren't in purgatory - they stayed compe ive, made the playoffs consistently, built a winning culture and good team, then made a timely trade that put them over the edge. Had they tore it down if they shared your view that they weren't a "true contender", they never would've gotten a ring. It's this modern mentality that you're either a championship team, or you gotta tear it down and tank... That's not what teams are for. Sure, from a championship perspective it would be ideal, but NBA teams want to make a profit, and win consistently. Not every team's aspiration for a given year is a championship - and to be clear, the true point where a team is in "NBA Purgatory", is when they've actively tried to get out from their situation, and failed, either due to a lack of assets, bad management, bad drafting, or most likely a combination of all. Most "purgatory" teams have a few albatross contracts that tie up dead cap space, an overabundance of vets with a lack of young talent, and a losing mentality due to the bad situation taking its toll on the team. Spurs have literally none of that.

It's so weird to call the Spurs a purgatory team because they've actively changed and modified their roster build, to the point that now we're just a young team in need of development with a couple of vets leading the way. More than 3/4 of the roster are 26 or under - with almost no cap space tied up beyond next season. What part of that is purgatory-worth, exactly? The Spurs have been actively phasing out the vet components of the roster since at least, last season. I understand the frustration with DD and LMA, the two "biggest" vets, still being here, but they also have value to the young players as mentors, and I personally wouldn't mind letting them play out the year, then making a S&T after the season or just letting them walk. But there's no doubt the Spurs are going somewhere - not quite "literal purgatory".
    Nice story. The truth is they're the biggest fluke ever.

Shady Ujiri has been trying to re-build since the moment he left the Nuggets to return to them, only to fall ass backwards into winning at a high enough rate every step of the way in spite of it. The supposed genius literally agreed to trade Lowry to the Knicks, only for Dolan to block it.

Long story short, S bag pulls his unethical stunt and they end up with a trade that they otherwise never would have had the audacity to even offer and finally the best team in the league is decimated by injury in the Finals.

Now all of a sudden they're viewed as some blueprint and above reproach because they're in bed with media big wings who have brainwashed the masses.

They were the definition of purgatory until that series of miracles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what bet you’re talking about but I’ll bet you $100 that the spurs don’t make the playoffs. Spurs will not finish in the top 8 in the west with this current roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what bet you’re talking about but I’ll bet you $100 that the spurs don’t make the playoffs. Spurs will not finish in the top 8 in the west with this current roster.
    There’s a play-in tournament, chief. You better set some parameters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice story. The truth is they're the biggest fluke ever.

Shady Ujiri has been trying to re-build since the moment he left the Nuggets to return to them, only to fall ass backwards into winning at a high enough rate every step of the way in spite of it. The supposed genius literally agreed to trade Lowry to the Knicks, only for Dolan to block it.

Long story short, S bag pulls his unethical stunt and they end up with a trade that they otherwise never would have had the audacity to even offer and finally the best team in the league is decimated by injury in the Finals.

Now all of a sudden they're viewed as some blueprint and above reproach because they're in bed with media big wings who have brainwashed the masses.

They were the definition of purgatory until that series of miracles.
    You really make up some wacky narratives in your head, man. I'm almost interested to hear what you think on common issues of the world, since your basketball takes always leave me scratching my head.

Shady Ujiri? What has he done? Lmao. None of what you said contradicts my points at all. Yes, he tried to make some moves - what GM doesn't (don't say the Spurs'...)? All you're saying is, he knew the Raptors as constructed weren't good enough to win it all, but instead of blowing up since they were in ""Purgatory"", they kept retooling and trying to make the team better, until a really good chance came their way, and they took it. The same way you say the Raptors would "never have had the audacity to even offer", you could say they would have never been in a position to make that trade, if the view of "purgatory" as being discussed by my guy Gambit was actually held around the league, and not just his head.

At this point, I can see clearly that you consistently underrate the job and movements of a good FO - it's been a common theme. No team "falls ass-backwards into winning at a high enough rate", however much you want that to be true and speak it like gospel. The Spurs FO didn't, the Raptors FO didn't, and I can't really think of a team that truly did it, tbh. I gotta wonder what your narrative excuse is for GOAT potential players not just "winning it all every year", if it takes so little input from a FO to let great players like Timmy or LeBron to just do their thing... But I'm feeling like we won't agree here, tbh.

At any rate, I sure ain't saying the Raptors are a blueprint. Did they luck out from the Spurs' and Nephew's situation? For sure. But the overarching point - which I'm sure you'll gloss over - is that had they done what Gambit suggests, and blown the team up at the first sign that they weren't going to win a ring with the team as currently constructed, they would have 0 championships today. Many times, keeping the grind up and trying to maximize your chances of winning ends up paying off... Just like it did for the Spurs in '14, after years of fake fans wanting to blow it up. But I'm sure that was just 100% on the players, and not a good job by the FO at all, right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a play-in tournament, chief. You better set some parameters.
    Let him take the bet......lol We will surprise many barring injury��

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll take that bet my guy��

Thread Information