My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see LMA as a PF anymore

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I see that some are still desperate to trade Poeltl away, but he cant be traded for a year, cause he was an Restricted Free Agent. So none of those Trade scenarios above can happen.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I just don’t see LMA as a PF anymore
    it's all about the pairing tbh.

i wouldn't want the spurs to start la and marc gasol. an la and jokic frontcourt would be too slow.

but la and gobert would work fine. la can shoot more 3s, gobert can bust his ass defensively.

let la score and let gobert do all the dirty work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, and I would rather keep Poodle then trade for Westbrook that guy just does not understand team basketball and never saw a shot he didn't want to take.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want to conserve our cap space in 2021 and want to give minutes to the kids the only trade I see doable is trading LMA to Boston given that they got a huge trade exemption with the Hayward trade. We take a lottery protected 1st rounder in either 2021 or 2022. That's it. No more players no more picks.

Boston would really benefit from this. A core of Walker, Brown, Tatum and LMA would be very strong this year. And next year if Boston wishes they can just let Aldridge walk.

Am I getting the use of the trade exemption correctly? Can Boston take on that salary without sending any player out?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge isn't blocking "the kids" (Poeltl might not like it, but it won't kill him to play roughly 1/3 a game for 72 more games) and if he sticks to being more of a stretch five like he did last season, he should enhance them by opening driving lanes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we want to conserve our cap space in 2021 and want to give minutes to the kids the only trade I see doable is trading LMA to Boston given that they got a huge trade exemption with the Hayward trade. We take a lottery protected 1st rounder in either 2021 or 2022. That's it. No more players no more picks.

Boston would really benefit from this. A core of Walker, Brown, Tatum and LMA would be very strong this year. And next year if Boston wishes they can just let Aldridge walk.

Am I getting the use of the trade exemption correctly? Can Boston take on that salary without sending any player out?
    No. BOS Hard Capped from using MLE, 22 mil most they can absorb.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. BOS Hard Capped from using MLE, 22 mil most they can absorb.
    got it thanks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge isn't blocking "the kids" (Poeltl might not like it, but it won't kill him to play roughly 1/3 a game for 72 more games) and if he sticks to being more of a stretch five like he did last season, he should enhance them by opening driving lanes.
    great point but was thinking that boston needs LMA more than DMD. We could always play DM as our 4 like we did in the bubble. Plus Samanic also needs minutes to develop.

Look if it was up to me I would trade 2 of our 4 veterans and tank. Truly believe we need to develop our next core and they need minutes. Plus next years draft is stacked.

So trying to find ways to offload some of these guys and still retain cap space for next year. After flurry of FA signings and trades we are left with very few good options.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn LMA salary is 24 million and Boston has only 22 million in trade exception does a mid year trade change the money amount? You know Boston if getting LMA even if it’s a one year rental could have legitimate chance of going to finals and maybe win KY has shown it’s worth a one year rental if you can get to finals.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report (I know they suck) latest power rankings expresses exactly how I feel.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-free-agency

"The San Antonio Spurs seem content to remain in NBA purgatory, keeping both DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge to avoid a rebuild and failing to add any veteran outside help to try starting a new playoff streak.

Devin Vassell was a terrific pickup after he fell to No. 11 overall, but he may start the year buried on the depth chart with so many guards and wings, led by DeRozan, in front of him.

San Antonio will forever play hard, but a 24th-ranked defense wasn't addressed in free agency. The Spurs need to embrace a rebuild and seek new homes for both DeRozan and Aldridge before they become free agents next summer.

With the Phoenix Suns and New Orleans Pelicans both fighting for the eighth seed and the Golden State Warriors getting a healthy Stephen Curry back, the Spurs will miss the playoffs for the second straight year."

It's that NBA purgatory that I hate. You either are in or out not lets see if we can get that 8th seed and miss out on better draft capital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report (I know they suck) latest power rankings expresses exactly how I feel.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-free-agency

"The San Antonio Spurs seem content to remain in NBA purgatory, keeping both DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge to avoid a rebuild and failing to add any veteran outside help to try starting a new playoff streak.

Devin Vassell was a terrific pickup after he fell to No. 11 overall, but he may start the year buried on the depth chart with so many guards and wings, led by DeRozan, in front of him.

San Antonio will forever play hard, but a 24th-ranked defense wasn't addressed in free agency. The Spurs need to embrace a rebuild and seek new homes for both DeRozan and Aldridge before they become free agents next summer.

With the Phoenix Suns and New Orleans Pelicans both fighting for the eighth seed and the Golden State Warriors getting a healthy Stephen Curry back, the Spurs will miss the playoffs for the second straight year."

It's that NBA purgatory that I hate. You either are in or out not lets see if we can get that 8th seed and miss out on better draft capital.
    Pretty good assessment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a poor assessment to argue SA didn't address their defense. All of their departures were bad defenders and all of their additions are good defenders. They look to be improved on that end. The team is also not in purgatory, because they don't have assets and cap space committed to the team. If they were capped out on long-term deals and had traded away a bunch of picks to be an eighth-seed, that's worthy of scorn. Then doing it while playing young players and having oodles of cap space is just fine. They're farther from purgatory than any of those teams BR mentions as being better positioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s tough to say, the main problem last season was Marco Belly & Forbes getting so many minutes, if Lonnie and Keldon take those minutes and all the young guys keep improving the spurs absolutely could make the playoffs imo... now I could see the spurs selling their vets at the trade deadline but who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense is what I'm most looking forward to.

Starved to see, actually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great point but was thinking that boston needs LMA more than DMD. We could always play DM as our 4 like we did in the bubble. Plus Samanic also needs minutes to develop.

Look if it was up to me I would trade 2 of our 4 veterans and tank. Truly believe we need to develop our next core and they need minutes. Plus next years draft is stacked.

So trying to find ways to offload some of these guys and still retain cap space for next year. After flurry of FA signings and trades we are left with very few good options.
    I'm for trading 2 of the 4 vets as well but, I don't think that's necessarily tanking. I don't think it effects our record very much (assuming that no more than one of the vets is lma or ddr)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher report is being paid by Nephew if yall havent noticed.

When Nephew left, thats when they started showing him off like crazy

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a poor assessment to argue SA didn't address their defense. All of their departures were bad defenders and all of their additions are good defenders. They look to be improved on that end. The team is also not in purgatory, because they don't have assets and cap space committed to the team. If they were capped out on long-term deals and had traded away a bunch of picks to be an eighth-seed, that's worthy of scorn. Then doing it while playing young players and having oodles of cap space is just fine. They're farther from purgatory than any of those teams BR mentions as being better positioned.
    Respectfully disagree. You make a good point on defense, but playing the vets knowing they aren't going to be here long term and knowing that there are at least 10-11 teams that on paper are in theory better than you is purgatory to me. Certainly isn't embracing a rebuild. Even if just miss or make the play offs the opportunity cost of not developing the kids is greater. Even for our cap space next year. FA will be more attracted to a team with 3-4 players with bright futures than two or three vets who are on the way down.

Having said all of this I don't think the FO is trying to screw with us. Most likely scenario was that they didn't have any good offers for LMA and DMD. They just aren't as attractive to other teams or we didn't want to take on guaranteed contracts for 2021. Thats why I'm big on trying to work out something with Boston.

Third and nuclear option which I just don't see Pop doing is keeping all the vets and slash their playing time. Make DM a second unit guy and start KJ for example. Buy that's not in Pop's DNA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah no way in is Pop going to sit LMA or DEROZZ as both are in contract year and we might end up offering DEROZZ a contract after this season crazier things have happened.

The big issue is if we are off to a good start and an offer comes do we take it or decide to run and make a playoff bush. I said it before but with all these young guys Pop is going to be a mad scientist as usual in the beginning of season so our record won’t be good and then will probably be shut down for COVID and another bubble playoff which hopefully puts us with a draft pick 6 to 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respectfully disagree. You make a good point on defense, but playing the vets knowing they aren't going to be here long term and knowing that there are at least 10-11 teams that on paper are in theory better than you is purgatory to me. Certainly isn't embracing a rebuild. Even if just miss or make the play offs the opportunity cost of not developing the kids is greater. Even for our cap space next year. FA will be more attracted to a team with 3-4 players with bright futures than two or three vets who are on the way down.

Having said all of this I don't think the FO is trying to screw with us. Most likely scenario was that they didn't have any good offers for LMA and DMD. They just aren't as attractive to other teams or we didn't want to take on guaranteed contracts for 2021. Thats why I'm big on trying to work out something with Boston.

Third and nuclear option which I just don't see Pop doing is keeping all the vets and slash their playing time. Make DM a second unit guy and start KJ for example. Buy that's not in Pop's DNA.
    The young players are developing just fine though. The rotation next year should be

PG: Young Player (YP), Vet (V)
    SG: YP, YP
    SF: V, YP
    PF: YP, V
    C: V, YP

That's a lot of spots where young guys get minutes. As far as having no vets, someone should point out evidence of throwing guys into the fire actually being better for their development. I think when you look around at the best players in the league most of the ones who didn't grow up around vets are mentally weak and en led. Most of the top players had guys who played at their position who competed with and helped mentor them. I don't know why people are dreaming of being Sacramento where you're overpaying young guys because you can't afford to let them go. But I can't support that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They do, but I wouldn't read too much into an 8 game sample size in a unique format. DeRozan as a nominal four is fine during the guts of a game as matchups dictate, but in terms of starting, unless they're otherworldly offensively, you need to at least be capable of physically guarding your position or else you get Forbes redux.

Samanic was always likely at least 2 years away from pushing for a rotation spot and doesn't play the same position as Aldridge.

Like Chinook said, the youth will be playing more by default. I wouldn't hold my breath on a Aldridge/DeRozan trade until next off season, when they can be signed and traded.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    lol, the spurs are 100% in nba purgatory.

better than last year? yeah. but both "stars" are in decline and this is a team that no one has really high hopes for.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs aren't a clear playoff team and aren't a clear high draft pick team. literal purgatory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, the spurs are 100% in nba purgatory.

better than last year? yeah. but both "stars" are in decline and this is a team that no one has really high hopes for.
    It's hard to call something purgatory when they aren't stuck there. The term for that is "transition", and that's way more apt for SA than "purgatory" is.

Thread Information