Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got opportunities but couldn't defend his position, rebound & got bullied in the playoffs two seasons in a row. Now, he plays for a franchise with low expectations, which is horrendous on defense (making his terrible defense commonplace) & is excited just to have him be a gunner.

Had he remained in San Antonio & garnered such a ridiculous contract the fanbase would be livid just like when Patty, Pau & DeJounte were overpaid.

That is a God damn lie.

Kyle looked 1,000× better in San Antonio, Boban has been a journeyman since the Spurs first signed him & both got paid for what they did on the Spurs/could "potentially" do after not otherwise.
    And Forbes and Belinelli could? Numbers indicate Bertans could defend his position a por better than those two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he lit it up here way he did there people wouldnt be too mad...he didnt show that consistently here same as marco n forbes which exposed their poor defense further

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Forbes and Belinelli could? Numbers indicate Bertans could defend his position a por better than those two.
    Never said anything about Forbes or Belinelli, but thanks for that pointless "what aboutism," who are also bad on defense, no longer are on the Spurs and weren't handed a huge overpay of $80 million dollars.

I like Davis, I'm happy he got paid & stayed with a team that could continue to properly use him. Yet his faults of being a bad defender & rebounder (for his position) still exist. Plus, he'll still be outmatched if he faces anyone with even some of the physicality of Paul Millsap (who bullied him off the court in the 2019 playoffs).

The Wizards need to add a "tough guy" or an "enforcer" to compliment him, Rui, Mo and/or Thomas Bryant. Robin Lopez brings some of that but isn't a every night contributor anymore.

The Spurs need to find a starting caliber PF & be thankful to the good heaven's they didn’t pay a backup PF an annual salary of $16 million per year.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 11-30-2020 at 09:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he lit it up here way he did there people wouldnt be too mad...he didnt show that consistently here same as marco n forbes which exposed their poor defense further
    Right, but also Pop didn’t run plays for him or feature him in the offense like the Wizards have. I just hope they have some actual team success, Davis continues to light it up & that contract doesn't become an albatross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said anything about Forbes or Belinelli, but thanks for that pointless "what aboutism," who are also bad on defense, no longer are on the Spurs and weren't handed a huge overpay of $80 million dollars.

I like Davis, I'm happy he got paid & stayed with a team that could continue to properly use him, yet his faults of being a bad defend & rebound still exist. Plus, he'll still be outmatched if he faces anyone with even the physicality of Paul Millsap (who bullied him off the court in the 2019 playoffs).

The Wizards need to add a "tough guy" or an "enforcer" to compliment him, Rui, Mo and/or Thomas Bryant.

The Spurs need to find a starting caliber PF & be thankful to the good heaven's they didn’t pay a backup PF an annual salary of $16 million per year.
    I brought up Forbes and Belinelli because those are two players that got plenty of opportunities above Bertans, who is a much better player on every aspect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I brought up Forbes and Belinelli because those are two players that got plenty of opportunities above Bertans, who is a much better player on every aspect.
    Say what now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has more size & is one of the best 3 - point shooters in the league, but let's not pretend his anything more than a 6th man or high - end role player.

They play different positions, Davis couldn't rebound to save his life (when he played here) & Gay/Aldridge/Poeltl werse all better options (starting). Not that hard to understand & also why they tried to upgrade with Morris but he reneged.

Davis found a place where he can shot at will & his flaws are practically ignored. That might change if the expectations in Washington increase or he slips back to his up - and - down play like in San Antonio.

There are legitimate reasons why all three are gone regardless of the fact that Davis is the best of the three. Pop was likely never going to feature Davis on offense or give him as much margin for error as Scott Brooks. Some guys just won't reach their full potential or tap into their entire skillet with certain coaches.

I'm happy he's paid (elsewhere) & hope he can live up to that big contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has more size & is one of the best 3 - point shooters in the league, but let's not pretend his anything more than a 6th man or high - end role player.

They play different positions, Davis couldn't rebound to save his life (when he played here) & Gay/Aldridge/Poeltl werse all better options (starting). Not that hard to understand & also why they tried to upgrade with Morris but he reneged.

Davis found a place where he can shot at will & his flaws are practically ignored. That might change if the expectations in Washington increase or he slips back to his up - and - down play like in San Antonio.

There are legitimate reasons why all three are gone regardless of the fact that Davis is the best of the three. Pop was likely never going to feature Davis on offense or give him as much margin for error as Scott Brooks. Some guys just won't reach their full potential or tap into their entire skillet with certain coaches.

I'm happy he's paid (elsewhere) & hope he can live up to that big contract.
    Belinelli and Forbes both played the wings on the Spurs' system, that's the position Bertans plays. It shouldn't have been so hard to give Bertans some of those extended minutes that useless pair got, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What didn't you understand?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Belinelli and Forbes both played the wings on the Spurs' system, that's the position Bertans plays. It shouldn't have been so hard to give Bertans some of those extended minutes that useless pair got, tbh.

Again, he is a combo forward, Belinelli is a swing man (barely) & Bryn is a undersized "combo" guard. How the did you expect Pop to hide Davis on defense if you're asking him to play up a position or two?

Especially when he isn't a shot creator or playmaker on offense, can't rebound for any position & is a bad/below average team defender.

I like Davis, but he was never going to do what he did in Washington with the Spurs & the fans would be going ballistic if he got $16 million per year (to be a backup/6th man).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is a unicorn
    Too wimpy though to guard strongman PF.
    David should have been a 2 or 3 or a 4 when the other teams 4 is a wimp.
    He was not put in position to succeed due to hard headed poop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is a unicorn
    Again, let him do it on a contending team or in the playoffs & then we can complain about it. Right now, he's put up numbers (for one season) on a bad team with very, very low expectations.

And the two ACL tears in Europe ruined any chance of him being a 3 (on offense) in the NBA. He is very unique because of his elite three - point shooting but needs to improve in other areas to become less predictable/1 dimensional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What didn't you understand?
    The only thing Bertans does is shoot. He's at everything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, let him do it on a contending team or in the playoffs & then we can complain about it. Right now, he's put up numbers (for one season) on a bad team with very, very low expectations.

And the two ACL tears in Europe ruined any chance of him being a 3 (on offense) in the NBA. He is very unique because of his elite three - point shooting but needs to improve in other areas to become less predictable/1 dimensional.
    Davis had some success vs Klay Thompson in the ZaZa series. Poop had him guard Klay and Davis did alright using his length on Klay.
    Small sample size I know-though

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis is a unicorn
    There are only 2 unicorns 1 useful 1 not so much.

1. Player that can play in the perimeter and protect the rim. ( Kristaps, JJJ, Durant )
    2. Game manager that can create his own shot. ( Tyus Jones, Austin Rivers )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis could have replaced Forbes or Beli and done just as (lol) good on defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing Bertans does is shoot. He's at everything else.
    1) no he isn't. That's why he's getting 80 millions.

2) let's pretend your false assumption is right and Bertans does suck at everything other than shooting. Is he worse than Forbes and Belinelli at all those other things. Is he worse than them at passing? Is he worse than them at defense? Is he worse than them at rebounding? No, to all those things. Therefore my original statement, "Bertans is better than Forbes and Belinelli on every aspect", still stands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, he is a combo forward, Belinelli is a swing man (barely) & Bryn is a undersized "combo" guard. How the did you expect Pop to hide Davis on defense if you're asking him to play up a position or two?

Especially when he isn't a shot creator or playmaker on offense, can't rebound for any position & is a bad/below average team defender.

I like Davis, but he was never going to do what he did in Washington with the Spurs & the fans would be going ballistic if he got $16 million per year (to be a backup/6th man).
    How the do you hide him? Having him guard anyone Forbes and/or Belinelli were guarding. Easy. He would have definitely done a better job at it than any of those two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the do you hide him? Having him guard anyone Forbes and/or Belinelli were guarding. Easy. He would have definitely done a better job at it than any of those two.
    Not even Scott Brooks plays him at the 2 or 3, homie. Let it go........

He could conceivably do it on a team that primarily plays a zone defense, but so far Brooks & Popovich have both used him as a 4.

Not sure why you continue to harp about Belinelli & Forbes, when the people in front of Davis were Aldridge, Poeltl & Gay.

He isn't a 3 because he's suffered too many knee injuries that zapped him of lateral quickness, pop off the floor & he'd get hunted on every position & blown by easily. Plus, his offensive game is extremely one - dimensional & he brings little to no shot creation, ball handling and playmaking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis could at least jump up and block shots at the rim every now and then. Forbes or Beli barely left their feet. They just watch folks just drive on by...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis could at least jump up and block shots at the rim every now and then. Forbes or Beli barely left their feet. They just watch folks just drive on by...
    No , he has 5 & 7 inches of height on Belinelli & Forbes.

Answer me this: Was Davis a better option when he was with Spurs than Gay, Poeltl or Aldridge?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even Scott Brooks plays him a the 2 or 3, homie. Let it go....
    lol what? Bertans plays the 3 while Hachimura plays the 4 in Washington.

He could conceivably do it on a team that primarily plays a zone defense, but so far Brooks & Popovich have both used him as a 4.
    Pop played Bertans as a 3 quite a bit too when Gay would guard opposing 4's, tbh. He just didn't do it nearly enough because he had to play the dinamic duo of Forbes and Belinelli.

Not sure why you continue to harp about Belinelli & Forbes, when the people in front of Davis were Aldridge, Poeltl & Gay.

He isn't a 3 because he's suffered too many knee injuries that zapped him of lateral quickness, pop off the floor & he'd get hunted on every position & blown by easily. Plus, his offensive game is extremely one - dimensional & he brings little to no shot creation, ball handling and playmaking.
    If Forbes and Belinelli could play the wings on this Spurs' team, then Bertans could too. Period. Simple as that. He's the much better defender of the three.

Answer me this: do you really think Bertans would have done a worse job than Forbes and Belinelli guarding the opposing 2's and 3's? Be honest son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No but if the teams PF was a wimp Davis was worth some minutes. I also think-and I know you and others do not-that Davis should have gotten run as a 3 or even a 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol what? Bertans plays the 3 while Hachimura plays the 4 in Washington.

Pop played Bertans as a 3 quite a bit too when Gay would guard opposing 4's, tbh. He just didn't do it nearly enough because he had to play the dinamic duo of Forbes and Belinelli.

If Forbes and Belinelli could play the wings on this Spurs' team, then Bertans could too. Period. Simple as that. He's the much better defender of the three.

Answer me this: do you really think Bertans would have done a worse job than Forbes and Belinelli guarding the opposing 2's and 3's? Be honest son.

Let it go.......

They are all GONE.

Again, Davis can play the 3 in spurts (with another combo forward like Gay or Rui) but he isn't a wing or a starter/long - term solution at small forward. He was never going to be used in that capacity in San Antonio & had he been the ing about his poor defense would be endless.

You gotta be drunk or high to think any team would use Davis to guard (any) shooting guards or starting small forwards.

He was given opportunities but often shrunk under pressure, got bullied or was inconsistent with his offense. I loved his ability to quickly heat up or expand a lead with two or three consecutive three - pointers, but would also want to pull my hair out as his piss - poor rebounding, bad defense, lack of shot creating & playmaking.

I see a lot of starting caliber wing players averaging 1.1 APG for their career with a high of 1.7 APG last year.

And before you mention him, no, Bryn was never a starting caliber anything so his terrible APG average is a moot point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let it go.......

They are all GONE.

Again, Davis can play the 3 in spurts (with another combo forward like Gay or Rui) but he isn't a wing or a starter/long - term solution at small forward. He was never going to be used in that capacity in San Antonio & had he been the ing about his poor defense would be endless.

You gotta be drunk or high to think any team would use Davis to guard (any) shooting guards or starting small forwards.

He was given opportunities but often shrunk under pressure, got bullied or was inconsistent with his offense. I loved his ability to quickly heat up or expand a lead with two or three consecutive three - pointers, but would also want to pull my hair out as his piss - poor rebounding, bad defense, lack of shot creating & playmaking.

I see a lot of starting caliber wing players averaging 1.1 APG for their career with a high of 1.7 APG last year.

And before you mention him, no, Bryn was never a starting caliber anything so his terrible APG average is a moot point.
    I like how you never answered the question of whether Bertans would do worse than Forbes and Belinelli defending 2s and 3s

It's ok son, you don't need to respond, we all know the answer. Bertans should have got the minutes Forbes and Belinelli got but Pop ed up. It sucks because it would be Nice to still have Bertans, he would have complemented this young team perfectly but it what it is. I will let it go, in fact I had already done so, I just won't let you get away with saying bull like "Bertans doesn't play the 3 in Washington" or "Bertans can't play the 3 or 2 but Belinelli and Forbes can", tbh.

Thread Information