Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle if your out there your ass better be working on a mid range shot I don’t care if you even use the back board like Timmy used to do and learn a post move for Christ sake oh and is it to hard to learn how to dunk the ball with two hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a lot of us who live/lived in SA grew up watching the Spurs didnt "choose" our fandom, its just how it is. you cant just turn your fandom off and watch another team instead, thats not how it works. at least not for most people i would imagine
    Okay, then it shouldn't be hard to tell several hundreds of Spurs employees they're laid off because the team is paying tens of millions of dollars to luxury tax. They should just tell them "it's just how it is". And in turn, giving fans a worse product because they're operating a skeleton crew. , they might not be able to broadcast the Spurs on local TV anymore because so much money is going to players. They must be like, "damn, how are we going to pay our electricity bills". Oops.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that was the plan paying Jakob hurts the cap space plan is the point.
    Personally I always had Poeltl as someone who would be signed to a 7 to 11 million year deal, so for the cap stuff I do for myself I had him accounted for.

He only got a 3 year deal and I had him penciled in for a 4 or 5 one.

Unless we have to pay damn near max money for white, we are still going to have a max slot next year if we just let ddr lma gay and mills walk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So next year's cap shouldn't be an issue. Worrying about that's a non-starter. That doesn't make his contract good. But it's tenable so long as the team stays under the tax. It was a real move to try to sign an offer sheet that would make SA be a tax team. It seems like both sides would've been served well by doing a sign-and-trade.

I don't think this deal really pushes LMA out the door. As I said before, the Spurs paid Splitter this same APY in a lower cap to be Tim's backup. Like with Tiago and Pau, I'm sure the Spurs are willing to play Jakob any minute with Aldridge that they can. But they are going into this deal content that he won't start.

There's nothing wrong with signing Poeltl in general. It doesn't hurt the team's direction, and not picking a side or whatever doesn't matter. The Spurs seem willing to let their vets expire, not so they can have some maximized amount of cap space but so they can have options for how they want to build around their young players. Maybe that means bringing in bad contracts for assets. Maybe it means trying to lure high-dollar free agents. Maybe it means re-upping the vets and trying again. We don't know, and it won't be something the Spurs will decide until after they get into the year and can see what they have.

And no, OKC is way, way off the rails at this point. They've basically made no trade of consequence, potentially even including the George and Westbrook trades. Presti needs blue-chippers, not a scatter shot. Every GM can tear a team down if they're ruthless enough. Even a -tier one like Hinkie did it. But navigating those assets and turning them into just a few legit foundation pieces is what separates good GMs from mediocre ones (bad ones will just draft a bunch of busts). That Presti failed to do that in this past draft can be defended as him not liking the players. But if next draft comes along and he hasn't traded half those picks to move up, OKC's whole rebuilding plan is going into the ter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a valid point. Fans here chose a small market team to root for. The issue is systemic and it's not like the organization's owners chose to be poorer than everyone else is. For a small market team that has performed the way it has done these past decades.... You can say that's impressive and unappreciated by most.

People can easily go root for a big market team like New York if they wanted to see a team be aggressive and pay players enormous amounts of money. But bottom-line is, they picked (and are actively picking) a small market team.
    We didn't choose this life, this life chose us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So next year's cap shouldn't be an issue. Worrying about that's a non-starter. That doesn't make his contract good. But it's tenable so long as the team stays under the tax. It was a real move to try to sign an offer sheet that would make SA be a tax team. It seems like both sides would've been served well by doing a sign-and-trade.

I don't think this deal really pushes LMA out the door. As I said before, the Spurs paid Splitter this same APY in a lower cap to be Tim's backup. Like with Tiago and Pau, I'm sure the Spurs are willing to play Jakob any minute with Aldridge that they can. But they are going into this deal content that he won't start.

There's nothing wrong with signing Poeltl in general. It doesn't hurt the team's direction, and not picking a side or whatever doesn't matter. The Spurs seem willing to let their vets expire, not so they can have some maximized amount of cap space but so they can have options for how they want to build around their young players. Maybe that means bringing in bad contracts for assets. Maybe it means trying to lure high-dollar free agents. Maybe it means re-upping the vets and trying again. We don't know, and it won't be something the Spurs will decide until after they get into the year and can see what they have.

And no, OKC is way, way off the rails at this point. They've basically made no trade of consequence, potentially even including the George and Westbrook trades. Presti needs blue-chippers, not a scatter shot. Every GM can tear a team down if they're ruthless enough. Even a -tier one like Hinkie did it. But navigating those assets and turning them into just a few legit foundation pieces is what separates good GMs from mediocre ones (bad ones will just draft a bunch of busts). That Presti failed to do that in this past draft can be defended as him not liking the players. But if next draft comes along and he hasn't traded half those picks to move up, OKC's whole rebuilding plan is going into the ter.
    Don’t be too hard on Poodle. In 2001, David Robinson threatened to sign with the Knicks. Spurs wanted him to sign a one year cheapie like Barkley did to get Pippin to Houston, so they could make a run at CWebb. David was not amused, and eventually signed his final contract with SA, 2yrs/$20M.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The proponents of maintaing as much cap space as possible don't seem to explain themselves regarding what they are expecting to be done with it.

Attract a top guy in FA?
    Be a dumping ground for bad contracts as to get draft capital?

What?

I'm tired of hearing this ing for ing's sake.

PATFO has no direction? They are letting their young players develop in a try-to-be-winning environment.

What should they be doing? If they axe all of the vets they won't be that much worse, so there goes the tank aspect.
    And obviously they can't contend with LMA / DMDR so even the eventual signing wouldn't change things much.

They are flexibile enough to accomodate any eventual FA, or a disgruntled player via trade.

What's more to do?

My point is, there is too much whining and not enough constructive ideas.

It wierd, half of these same clowns are crying about having forbes and Marco taking up playing time from the young guys, and its the same clowns that are willing to take bad contracts, effect out cap for next season, limit the playing time for the youth.

lets not forgot the good ole, we should trade Murray, deaft a pg, thet will likely take 2-3 years to develop.......

or the fact that we should have taken player A, instead of player B....Than a few years later, these same clowns will be like " i knew player B will be this good!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t be too hard on Poodle. In 2001, David Robinson threatened to sign with the Knicks. Spurs wanted him to sign a one year cheapie like Barkley did to get Pippin to Houston, so they could make a run at CWebb. David was not amused, and eventually signed his final contract with SA, 2yrs/$20M.
    Negotiating is one thing, and I'm not made at Jakob for trying to get as much as he could. He was at least willing to work with the team on the structure in order to stay. I don't like how much of a blitz it seemed to be though.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Okay, then it shouldn't be hard to tell several hundreds of Spurs employees they're laid off because the team is paying tens of millions of dollars to luxury tax. They should just tell them "it's just how it is". And in turn, giving fans a worse product because they're operating a skeleton crew. , they might not be able to broadcast the Spurs on local TV anymore because so much money is going to players. They must be like, "damn, how are we going to pay our electricity bills". Oops.
    give me a break. spurs cant trade LMA because some employees will get laid off? dumbest thing i've heard on here in awhile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    give me a break. spurs cant trade LMA because some employees will get laid off? dumbest thing i've heard on here in awhile
    Not what I said at all. I'm saying if fans want the organization to act like other aggressive organizations, that's the price to pay as a small market team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Negotiating is one thing, and I'm not made at Jakob for trying to get as much as he could. He was at least willing to work with the team on the structure in order to stay. I don't like how much of a blitz it seemed to be though.
    It probably would have been a gentler negotiation in the normal time frame, but everything is compressed. Preseason starts in less than 3 weeks, and teams are rapidly spending their money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My conclusion is, “whatever”. At this point it’s clear we’re just maneuvering to keep our assets signed under the cap.

We’ve certainly behaved far more in a stand-pat, Holting pattern than I ever would have expected considering our ty season and the caliber of the expiring contracts we have at our disposal. Maybe the FO will do a fire sale at the trade deadline if the team isn’t doing well. Obviously Pop must think he can win with this group because we sure didn’t shake anything up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That could have been driven by the other teams, particularly given how quickly NO turned around and traded for Adams...it could be that Poeltl was being pushed by other teams who had contingency plans all lined up...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rasho,splitter and now poodle power keep the big white plodding center alive in sa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop loves centers who can’t dunk and are not physical

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers just signed Montrezz.... Im telling you the trade deadline is looking pretty favorable for the Spurs. GSW and now the Clippers are gonna need some front line help depending on how the season plays out.

Lakers isnt the only front court Contenders are worried about in the west... there is dude they call Joker.....

You guys are looking at this all wrong
    Haha, can you imagine neph having to play with Aldridge again? I'd love it for this reason alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I always had Poeltl as someone who would be signed to a 7 to 11 million year deal, so for the cap stuff I do for myself I had him accounted for.

He only got a 3 year deal and I had him penciled in for a 4 or 5 one.

Unless we have to pay damn near max money for white, we are still going to have a max slot next year if we just let ddr lma gay and mills walk
    And what do we do when Giannis lands in Miami or Dallas as expected? Guessing we consider resigning DDR to a 3 or 4 year max (depending on his fit this year) and maybe even LMA on a smaller vet contract if he slides behind the line seamlessly this year. I could even see them bringing back Patty as a vet minimum, were he so inclined, to be the equivalent of a bench player/coach.

Those last two signings are far, far more likely than getting a splash max free agent like Giannis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me get this straight, You think the GSW are TANKING ANOTHER SEASON!??!?!?!?!?!
    For the Recrod.... this is your Stance. GSW are TANKING another SEASON ? PRIME YEARS of the Curry in Poops "Just Like Curry..." take?

OMG
    Pretty much. They use this year to get Wiseman up to speed and get another good pick to trade for a win now player next year.

Unless you think Curry, Green and Aldridge is enough to ring next year, is that your take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can do this all before the trade deadline. Why so impatient its not like the spurs are even expected to make the playoffs. WTF?
    Because there are or were better players to be had in possible sign & trades. This isn’t the old Champion Spurs where they have a core lineup of HOF’ers & can sit on their ass & develop projects. They need players to play & play well. Murray has been a starter FFS and it was a gamble that didn’t pay off.

The Spurs doubled down and gave that dude a ridiculous extension. SMH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis. Dude is a playoff choker and loser. He’s been so damned overhyped with his athleticism but he’s not a go to player during winning time. Nothing more than a very, very poor man’s David Robinson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what do we do when Giannis lands in Miami or Dallas as expected? Guessing we consider resigning DDR to a 3 or 4 year max (depending on his fit this year) and maybe even LMA on a smaller vet contract if he slides behind the line seamlessly this year. I could even see them bringing back Patty as a vet minimum, were he so inclined, to be the equivalent of a bench player/coach.

Those last two signings are far, far more likely than getting a splash max free agent like Giannis.
    I expect Giannis to sign the super max with Milwaukee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not taking a roster spot. He was waived, and actually played a few games for Houston afterwards.
    I know that , but because of him Spurs cannot fill the spot without going into tax or clearing space through trade.
    It was a joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that , but because of him Spurs cannot fill the spot without going into tax or clearing space through trade.
    It was a joke.
    A cruel joke that senile drunk assed poop played in SpurNation

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . It was a real move to try to sign an offer sheet that would make SA be a tax team.
    what? Are you serious? It‘s not Poeltl‘s fault that they have Carroll on their payroll and they made other dumb decisions. Everybody would try to get as much as he can. That‘s part of the game. Otherwise You could also say it‘s a move the Spurs didn‘t want to pay the price the market had set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop loves centers who can’t dunk and are not physical
    But Poeltl is physical. Ask Zion whenever Poeltl defends him.

Thread Information