Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just watch the games. I stay out of the front office decisions. I'm not mad about not trading them this summer because truthfully just knowing good business it would have been best to trade them at the deadline last year. I didn't want to see that but if we're talking business wise that was the chance at a good return. Now i just want them to let them leave for nothing if that's the case instead of taking back garbage.
    I think the big difference in me and some others is what is “trash”. I think taking on a year or two of a bad player is worth getting some extra shots in the draft. SA drafts well stands to reason extra shots means good things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No lol. It’s because they had Duncan Parker and Ginobili. We’ve proven good chemistry and culture doesn’t > talent + coaching
    But they have talent. They just have to develop it. It's also hard to separate culture from coaching or the personalities of the talent. Certainly, plenty of stars and even superstars had way less success than the Spurs did. It wasn't merely talent that carried them through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they have talent. They just have to develop it. It's also hard to separate culture from coaching or the personalities of the talent. Certainly, plenty of stars and even superstars had way less success than the Spurs did. It wasn't merely talent that carried them through.
    True. Point is, especially when you miss playoffs, that talent > everything else. Winning les? Ya. It’s the little things too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the big difference in me and some others is what is “trash”. I think taking on a year or two of a bad player is worth getting some extra shots in the draft. SA drafts well stands to reason extra shots means good things.
    Do you REALLY think SA drafts that well compared to other teams, or do you think they might actually develop players well? I think the biggest reason why they seem to have more success with late picks is because they don't ask those players to do too much, especially early. Those young players have also had good mentors to learn from and have mostly avoided drama. It's weird how teams that have been able to draft objectively more talented players seem to still not get as much out of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Point is, especially when you miss playoffs, that talent > everything else. Winning les? Ya. It’s the little things too.
    I don't think that's a thing, though. Like who said talent trumps everything when you miss the playoffs? Teams that miss the playoffs perennially almost always have a ton of talent on their roster because of the train of high picks they get and the ability to overpay to get at least middling talent on their roster. To think Minny, for example, hasn't been talented AF for like six years is weird. Meanwhile you could argue that Dallas has very little talent outside Donicic (and Kristaps this past year) was still had a steady chance of making the post-season most years.

No offense, but it sounds like you're trying to make up axioms on the fly because you are unsure of how to handle a non-contender Spurs team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you REALLY think SA drafts that well compared to other teams, or do you think they might actually develop players well? I think the biggest reason why they seem to have more success with late picks is because they don't ask those players to do too much, especially early. Those young players have also had good mentors to learn from and have mostly avoided drama. It's weird how teams that have been able to draft objectively more talented players seem to still not get as much out of them.
    That’s a great question. Honestly? Both. I think they go hand in hand but they aren’t turning turds into polish. They are drafting excellent players especially when factoring in average draft position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that's a thing, though. Like who said talent trumps everything when you miss the playoffs? Teams that miss the playoffs perennially almost always have a ton of talent on their roster because of the train of high picks they get and the ability to overpay to get at least middling talent on their roster. To think Minny, for example, hasn't been talented AF for like six years is weird. Meanwhile you could argue that Dallas has very little talent outside Donicic (and Kristaps this past year) was still had a steady chance of making the post-season most years.

No offense, but it sounds like you're trying to make up axioms on the fly because you are unsure of how to handle a non-contender Spurs team.
    Disagree - I can handle it fine. Most things I’ve been saying are in lense of being a non playoff team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can say that if we are able to get a pick in the 2021 draft from the 6th - 12th range that player had a good chance to be one our top 2 players easily. If we are able to get a pick in the 13th to 19th range that player will become a starter within 2 years on this team barring any vet signings. Yes, that is how talented this upcoming draft class is hate it or not ...........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree - I can handle it fine. Most things I’ve been saying are in lense of being a non playoff team.
    I believe you're struggling with the idea that the Spurs might be mediocre for a long time and are looking for the quickest fix possible. If you were rooting for the Lakers or Heat, you'd want them to dump contracts as fast as possible to play free agency. For the Spurs, you seem to believe they have to tank and get a high pick to fix get back on track. That's not really handling them being a non-contender/non-playoff team fine at all. I think if you really considered the odds of their possible paths succeeding, you'd realize how self-defeating a lot of your wishes for them are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard not to like Jakob. One of my favorite players from the last 2 trainwreck seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him and am glad he is back ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe you're struggling with the idea that the Spurs might be mediocre for a long time and are looking for the quickest fix possible. If you were rooting for the Lakers or Heat, you'd want them to dump contracts as fast as possible to play free agency. For the Spurs, you seem to believe they have to tank and get a high pick to fix get back on track. That's not really handling them being a non-contender/non-playoff team fine at all. I think if you really considered the odds of their possible paths succeeding, you'd realize how self-defeating a lot of your wishes for them are.
    Whether you agree or not, I think you aren’t giving me any credit for actually thinking this through

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy to see hints that Jakob and not LMA will be an emphasis going forward. If they start Jakob over LMA I will be very impressed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy to see hints that Jakob and not LMA will be an emphasis going forward. If they start Jakob over LMA I will be very impressed.
    Would kill any value lma has left. But if they don’t care and are fine with him walking? Sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would kill any value lma has left. But if they don’t care and are fine with him walking? Sure.
    It’s a conflict that is obviously there based on how the off-season went. I don’t love it. But I hope they can somehow maximize Jakob while also reinventing LMA as a stretch five in a less dominant role. If they can get LMA to do that, there’s a chance it might actually increase his trade value. It’s not likely but this is Pop’s challenge he gave himself.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd bet Spurs continue to start Aldridge and DeRozan. The questions to me are Johnson or Lyles and Walker or White? I'm also convinced that Pop will experiment with starting lineups more than ever.

I'd like to see Johnson start, but that effectively gives the Spurs a defensive front court of Aldridge and DeRozan. This helps in terms of optimizing our lottery odds, but will be painful to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Value doesn't have to be strictly seen as a going-in/ going-out type. Value could be the veteran leadership that Aldridge provides to the younger players that those younger players can't get anywhere else. The Spurs can suck the value out of that and make LMA worth every year he has been here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd bet Spurs continue to start Aldridge and DeRozan. The questions to me are Johnson or Lyles and Walker or White? I'm also convinced that Pop will experiment with starting lineups more than ever.

I'd like to see Johnson start, but that effectively gives the Spurs a defensive front court of Aldridge and DeRozan. This helps in terms of optimizing our lottery odds, but will be painful to watch.
    It's no question that those two are going to start the season. Other players have to earn their stripes over those two. I have no doubt this year will be their last time starting for the Spurs, though. If they re-negotiate with the Spurs a new contract, it could be stated in those terms that they eventually have to give up their starting spot to a younger player who deserves it. Then they can give that spot up Richard Jefferson-style to a younger player. It's gotta be clear that the player taking their spot is better. Right now, as much as I love Keldon, I can't say that he is better than DeRozan yet. We sure as can't say Poetl is better than Aldridge. They have to earn it and shine brighter than the freaking sun when they get their minutes, just like Kawhi did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Value doesn't have to be strictly seen as a going-in/ going-out type. Value could be the veteran leadership that Aldridge provides to the younger players that those younger players can't get anywhere else. The Spurs can suck the value out of that and make LMA worth every year he has been here.
    I agree in theory, but I don’t see LMA as much of a leader. Too quiet. One reason I think Pop loves Murray is that he sees some leadership potential in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree in theory, but I don’t see LMA as much of a leader. Too quiet. One reason I think Pop loves Murray is that he sees some leadership potential in him.
    Only reason I say that is that he is frequently mentioned by the younger players when asked about how helpful the veterans have been. He is mentioned in the same breath as Rudy Gay and DeMar. We don't know for sure, though.

Also, Tim Duncan was perceived as quiet and he was the greatest leader of them all... just saying.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $8,730,240 Jame Wiseman [cap hold]
    $8,333.333 Jakob Poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have always liked Poeltl with the Spurs. He has been a per minute value add for the team and plays an important role in an era where centers are a dying breed. If the Spurs can land that star - either through developing one of their young core players or someone in the draft/ trade in the next two years, Poeltl will be a valuable role player component in a contending team going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on the it's a good signing side tbh.. This contract is fine in terms of amount in the actual market, I hear comments about cap space but to do what ? nothing short term to transform this team in a powerhouse anyway. If things change and opportunities appear this contract is a great trade tool anyway. Signing does not hamper anything regarding Spurs future that lie on the management of the two big salaries Rozan and LMA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob Poeltl's three-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs:

2020-21: $8,101,852
    2021-22: $8,750,000
    2022-23: $9,398,148

No options. All years fully guaranteed.

Thread Information