what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Trade LMA + Lyles to BOS
    Spurs get Batum + 1st
    Hornets get Hayward

Jakob then gets the PT to justify signing
    Does this work without Lyles? Solid trade otherwise. Who is the 1st coming from in this scenario?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this work without Lyles? Solid trade otherwise. Who is the 1st coming from in this scenario?
    It works legally but not functionally. If SA doesn’t include more money than lma going out then they will be in Luxury Tax with this trade.

Bos most likely but not indefensible for CHA with not having to stretch Batum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The games where Poeltl acts as a defensive anchor for the team, perfect PnR partner for our most efficient guard in White, and also an occasionally good offensive presence when he's on? Yeah, sure isn't backing up those stats...
    it was a pleasure to watch those bubble games and we almost made the playoffs with Jacob as a starter, that's the stats that matters so far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it was a pleasure to watch those bubble games and we almost made the playoffs with Jacob as a starter, that's the stats that matters so far
    Oh, lol, I had assumed your previous comment on " the stats" was a criticism for Poeltl, since the stats actually speak highly of him. Totally agree there, the Spurs played markedly better in the bubble and one important factor was Jakob's play (when he wasn't in foul trouble, and even when he was, he still managed to be effective). I have little doubts that he'll improve in most aspects of the game when given a bigger role and more time to just play with the young core. Seems like everyone on the Spurs, from the FO to the players, agree with this, which is good.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The most important stat in combination with Jakob is the defensive rating. With him on the Floor its goes way up (in a positive sense). The problem with Jaks Foul trouble in the bubble was not the fouls itself, but that without him the defense took a significant hit. Everything else is secondary. His primary job is to be the defensive Anchor. Also his stats are deflated to the reality what happens on the court. I have watched so many matches were he boxed out opponents so his teammates could get a easy rebound, a rebound he could have grabbed also. He plays so much teamoriented and does not care about stats. If thats not spurs basketball, than i dont know what is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most important stat in combination with Jakob is the defensive rating. With him on the Floor its goes way up (in a positive sense). The problem with Jaks Foul trouble in the bubble was not the fouls itself, but that without him the defense took a significant hit. Everything else is secondary. His primary job is to be the defensive Anchor. Also his stats are deflated to the reality what happens on the court. I have watched so many matches were he boxed out opponents so his teammates could get a easy rebound, a rebound he could have grabbed also. He plays so much teamoriented and does not care about stats. If thats not spurs basketball, than i dont know what is.
    I remember Tony's deep gra ude towards Rasho for blocking defenders for Tony's layups

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he just had an offensive move just one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Jaks Foul trouble in the bubble was not the fouls itself, but that without him the defense took a significant hit. Everything else is secondary. His primary job is to be the defensive Anchor.
    Add to that, this season with the improved defensive presence on the perimeter that was not there during the bubble it should only get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At MP >= 1171

NBA.com keeps same rank #, but removes those below the filter.
    So manually counting, worst to best:

1 Dwight Howard
    2 Jaren Jackson Jr.
    3 Daniel Theis

8 Joel Embiid
    9 Jakob Poeltl
    10 Andre Drummond

34 Lauri Markkanen
    35 Larry Nance Jr.
    36 Kevin Love
    Of course youre gonna get into foul trouble when you have to pick up everybodys up because of the team he plays with happens to play abysmal defense

Atleast back then timmy used to have Bruce, ldn, kawhi, heck even patty was pretty good chasing his man. Jakob on the other hand ��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep let’s see how the foul rate is with Bryn and Beli not letting their dudes a free path to the rim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, is where he's positioned in that list just common for bigs similar to him? Like do Embiid and Drummond have a reputation for being foul prone? Or do people understand that sometimes it comes with the territory of playing more closer to the basket and being that size? I feel people are ignoring some context here when just looking at where he's ranked and donning him a foul prone big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, is where he's positioned in that list just common for bigs similar to him? Like do Embiid and Drummond have a reputation for being foul prone? Or do people understand that sometimes it comes with the territory of playing more closer to the basket and being that size? I feel people are ignoring some context here when just looking at where he's ranked and donning him a foul prone big.
    He does foul a lot. That’s was literally the scouting report on him when we got him from Toronto. Timvp wrote an article mentioning it when we traded for him. That’s just a fact.

My problem with the whole Jakob thing is I have a hard time believing that a guy who never played more than 18 minutes a game in his entire career (as a top 10 pick mind you) is all of a sudden going to be able to play 30-35. That’s a huge leap of faith that I’m not willing to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does foul a lot. That’s was literally the scouting report on him when we got him from Toronto. Timvp wrote an article mentioning it when we traded for him. That’s just a fact.

My problem with the whole Jakob thing is I have a hard time believing that a guy who never played more than 18 minutes a game in his entire career (as a top 10 pick mind you) is all of a sudden going to be able to play 30-35. That’s a huge leap of faith that I’m not willing to have.
    Sure, but what I'm saying is: is that a fault that's unique to him or is it typical of bigs similar to him?

Are you and others focusing on an aspect that should be considered as minor because of my point above?

It's like marrying a rich white girl-- of course she's going to be high maintenance, she was a rich white girl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but what I'm saying is: is that a fault that's unique to him or is it typical of bigs similar to him?

Are you and others focusing on an aspect that should be considered as minor because of my point above?

It's like marrying a rich white girl-- of course she's going to be high maintenance, she was a rich white girl.
    I just don’t like paying 9 million to a back up. That’s what he is. A 20 minute a game guy. Some people see him as more. I don’t.

It’s like marrying that rich white girl but finding out her daddy’s cut her off. She looks good. Great in the sack and you can show her off to your buddies. But at the end of the day she isn’t bringing in any income and she hasn’t lessened her spending. Advance stats say Jakob looks great. But he’s never played consistent high minutes before in his career, he can’t space the floor or score at a good rate, and you can’t finish games with him on the floor if he shoots 50% from the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t like paying 9 million to a back up. That’s what he is. A 20 minute a game guy. Some people see him as more. I don’t.

It’s like marrying that rich white girl but finding out her daddy’s cut her off. She looks good. Great in the sack and you can show her off to your buddies. But at the end of the day she isn’t bringing in any income and she hasn’t lessened her spending. Advance stats say Jakob looks great. But he’s never played consistent high minutes before in his career, he can’t space the floor or score at a good rate, and you can’t finish games with him on the floor if he shoots 50% from the line.
    I think we're talking about two different points here.

I'm disputing the claim that him being a foul prone big is a huge issue.

You're talking about you don't like him for other reasons (well first, it was about him being foul prone and I addressed that, but you didn't come back with a different point).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think very few here have discussed what this signing and signing Eubanks means in terms of what play style the Spurs are committing to. They're never going to go full small ball is what it looks like to me. They'll have at least one tall guy guarding the rim at all times or else that's a lot of money sitting on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we're talking about two different points here.

I'm disputing the claim that him being a foul prone big is a huge issue.

You're talking about you don't like him for other reasons (well first, it was about him being foul prone and I addressed that, but you didn't come back with a different point).
    No I was just pointing out to you that he is foul prone. Whatever the reasons, he is a foul prone big man. But we already knew that about him seeing as that was literally his scouting report since day 1 with the Spurs. I have been very consistent on why I didn’t like the contract overall in this thread and others. I don’t see him as anymore than a 20 minute a game guy and as a back up big man and I just don’t feel like he will really evolve from that. It was like when Detroit signed Baynes. I was happy for him, but he was never worth that type of money. Paying back ups bigger than needed money isn’t a smart way to run a franchise.

But then again, maybe he had a similar deal somewhere else and the Spurs just decided to keep him around. Idk but I would’ve liked it better at about 6 million dollars less total

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No I was just pointing out to you that he is foul prone. Whatever the reasons, he is a foul prone big man. But we already knew that about him seeing as that was literally his scouting report since day 1 with the Spurs. I have been very consistent on why I didn’t like the contract overall in this thread and others. I don’t see him as anymore than a 20 minute a game guy and as a back up big man and I just don’t feel like he will really evolve from that. It was like when Detroit signed Baynes. I was happy for him, but he was never worth that type of money. Paying back ups bigger than needed money isn’t a smart way to run a franchise.

But then again, maybe he had a similar deal somewhere else and the Spurs just decided to keep him around. Idk but I would’ve liked it better at about 6 million dollars less total
    Bro, and what I'm saying to you is that big men of his type are probably foul prone anyway. Even the best ones. So I just find it odd to mention it in the first place.

If he was a perimeter type big like Brook Lopez (or bigs who don't bang inside) and he was still foul prone, THEN I'd say there was an issue with him being foul prone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will give you he is a good defender but what happens on offense when you have only 4 guys people have to guard outside the free throw line? No one is going to guard him on any pick and rolls and his defender is just going to cheat and pack the paint. I would love to know if Timmy has worked with him at all?

But I am resigned we signed him but no one should be under any illusion that he is a starting C for a good team and unfortunately I don’t think he will get any better on offense.

As far as Eubanks for the record he is not better then Poodle at Center but he can be used like Mills the Hot Test. One thing after the 2019 season some of his media clips it sounded like the Spurs wanted him to expand his offense and were looking at him more at the PF position. If he can start hitting some mid range and 3 balls then I think he might start getting regular minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will give you he is a good defender but what happens on offense when you have only 4 guys people have to guard outside the free throw line? No one is going to guard him on any pick and rolls and his defender is just going to cheat and pack the paint. I would love to know if Timmy has worked with him at all?

But I am resigned we signed him but no one should be under any illusion that he is a starting C for a good team and unfortunately I don’t think he will get any better on offense.

As far as Eubanks for the record he is not better then Poodle at Center but he can be used like Mills the Hot Test. One thing after the 2019 season some of his media clips it sounded like the Spurs wanted him to expand his offense and were looking at him more at the PF position. If he can start hitting some mid range and 3 balls then I think he might start getting regular minutes.
    Poeltl is 89th percentile and 81st percentile points per possesion on pick and roll big playtype the last 2 years, good for 10th and 20th among pick and roll big men. He is not a top tier vertical athlete but he has good hands and he is shooting 50% from floater range.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I never needed my wife to bring home any income...that's my job.....I need her her to do the little things that make my life easier so I can bring home the income..... That's what they want from Jakob...do the little things to make life easier for our young wings/ guards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At MP >= 1171

NBA.com keeps same rank #, but removes those below the filter.
    So manually counting, worst to best:

1 Dwight Howard
    2 Jaren Jackson Jr.
    3 Daniel Theis

8 Joel Embiid
    9 Jakob Poeltl
    10 Andre Drummond

34 Lauri Markkanen
    35 Larry Nance Jr.
    36 Kevin Love
    so that's the guys who defend at the top vs the guys who don't at the end

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, his best shot was the bubble with LMA out and he barely managed 26 mpg over those eight games. Fouled out two of those games and had foul trouble for most of the others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never needed my wife to bring home any income...that's my job.....I need her her to do the little things that make my life easier so I can bring home the income..... That's what they want from Jakob...do the little things to make life easier for our young wings/ guards.
    It was his metaphor (shrugs). My point isn’t that Jakob sucks or that he doesn’t do the little things or that he isn’t effective when he’s on the court. My point is mainly that we won’t be playing him a lot and 9 million a year is a lot to pay a back up. Jakob DOES make life easier for the guards, but for like 20 minutes a game.

And him being foul prone is a problem bc there are people who think/want him to play 30-35 minutes a game and that hurts his cause. Him shooting 50% from the free throw line hurts his ability to finish games for us. For the 20-23minutes a game that I think he is going to play, I don’t really care about any of that . I just thought we could’ve re-signed him for less. But like I said before, maybe he had another offer that we had to match.

Thread Information