Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was his metaphor (shrugs). My point isn’t that Jakob sucks or that he doesn’t do the little things or that he isn’t effective when he’s on the court. My point is mainly that we won’t be playing him a lot and 9 million a year is a lot to pay a back up. Jakob DOES make life easier for the guards, but for like 20 minutes a game.

And him being foul prone is a problem bc there are people who think/want him to play 30-35 minutes a game and that hurts his cause. Him shooting 50% from the free throw line hurts his ability to finish games for us. For the 20-23minutes a game that I think he is going to play, I don’t really care about any of that . I just thought we could’ve re-signed him for less. But like I said before, maybe he had another offer that we had to match.
    I know it was a metaphor...I was pointing out that is doesn’t really match what Jakob is or is expected to do. He's just a guy on a reasonable contract expected to make life easier on the players with more skill...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His per-36 numbers are excellent, are they not?

I guess the Spurs see him as a full time starter next season.
    It's gonna be tough for him this year if LMA stays, that I have to agree with.
    Finding a rhythm and developing chemistry is difficult in a limited role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it was a metaphor...I was pointing out that is doesn’t really match what Jakob is or is expected to do. He's just a guy on a reasonable contract expected to make life easier on the players with more skill...
    But is it really reasonable? That’s my point. I think it’s too high. I’m not the only one who thinks that either. I mean the dude was 9th in minutes per game on the team. 9 million for your 9th man is just too much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was his metaphor (shrugs). My point isn’t that Jakob sucks or that he doesn’t do the little things or that he isn’t effective when he’s on the court. My point is mainly that we won’t be playing him a lot and 9 million a year is a lot to pay a back up. Jakob DOES make life easier for the guards, but for like 20 minutes a game.

And him being foul prone is a problem bc there are people who think/want him to play 30-35 minutes a game and that hurts his cause. Him shooting 50% from the free throw line hurts his ability to finish games for us. For the 20-23minutes a game that I think he is going to play, I don’t really care about any of that . I just thought we could’ve re-signed him for less. But like I said before, maybe he had another offer that we had to match.
    Well played by Poeltl's camp. Gave Spurs an ultimatum with 15 minutes to decide whether to give him the deal he wants or he'll sign an upside down offersheet that would screw the Spurs luxury tax-wise.

Can't knock the hustle, tbh.
    That was pretty clearly the case - and it's no wonder Poeltl was being courted by numerous other teams wanting to offer him even more money. As for the rest of your point, what I don't understand is how you just can't fathom Poeltl playing 30mpg, when it's already been hinted at by both the FO and Poeltl himself that they've talked about giving him a bigger role. The transitional window seems clearly set: be a backup for this last season, when the Spurs will either trade LMA at the deadline, or make him play progressively limited minutes as the season goes on, both to conserve his body and to aid a timely tank; then become a starter the last two seasons of his contract, and depending on his production there, the Spurs could either re-sign him, or explore trade options for him after the second season if he truly isn't cutting it - a $9m/year is far from untradeable.

Anyways, I can see the reasoning behind your thoughts, I just don't think it's fair/reasonable to not expect him to get any better at all, on both offense and foul troubles. If he doesn't by year two, yeah, might be an expensive backup for year 3. But a part of contracts for young players is factoring in the potential to get better, and I personally think the upside is there, even if it's only in terms of learning to not foul so much, and just polishing his game and defensive presence. That's a great compliment to our core, and definitely something I'd rather pay $9m/year than lose in RFA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But is it really reasonable? That’s my point. I think it’s too high. I’m not the only one who thinks that either. I mean the dude was 9th in minutes per game on the team. 9 million for your 9th man is just too much
    Compared to what other centers just signed for it's reasonable but, more importantly, it's easily tradeable next summer if we need to create room.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares that he'll remain a projected backup C for 72 more games? He's a starting caliber one though he'll probably top out at a mid 20s mpg player due to a combination of poor stamina/foul trouble.

Look around, the likes of Capela and Adams will make about double to be marginally better.

It remains bizarre to me that the fanbase that had a first hand account of the impact of Ginobili and post prime Duncan remains stuck on largely irrelevant counting stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just remember, we gave Splitter a big contract after he was unplayable in the 2013 finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just remember, we gave Splitter a big contract after he was unplayable in the 2013 finals.
    That was $10M in 2013 dollars. Much more of a payout than $9M in 2020 dollars. The reality is that $9M isn’t even the MLE. $9M is the new $5M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Valid concerns, but better perimeter defense cuts down on his need to foul as much, doesn't it? Still has work to do regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was $10M in 2013 dollars. Much more of a payout than $9M in 2020 dollars. The reality is that $9M isn’t even the MLE. $9M is the new $5M.
    Yes, my point is that Splitter's payday came after that horror 2013 final series. And we knew if we got back there, we were playing the Heat again. Despite that, the Spurs knew Splitter could progress. And we then traded him away before his injury downfall for a second round pick. And used that space to get LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade this bum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's 50% more than Jak is worth, just horrible
    analysis is usually quite easy, but this was even easier than usual, well, at least it looks like it was the only front office mistake this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rasho 2.0

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait for the pick and roll ball handler to return from injury. There is a reason those two are besties.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is disrespectful to Rasho, sir. Kindly take that back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contract looks bad right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob needs a DJ-like offseason and work his ing ass off

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to stop putting his hands on opposing players to give away cheap fouls and just try to dunk it rather than throw the ball away for TO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can say he's playing in the wrong era and the victim of cir stance, or is serviceable enough for the role has but no way was he worth the top 10 pick he was drafted at.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not playing in the wrong era. This guy sucks in any era. He has hands like Ayres, shoots free throws like Deandre Jordan, and has a touch like Jason Collins. He's not a good rim protector and I hope people stop saying that for good. He has 3 blocks 9 games. Wolves backup center had that many blocks THIS game

He literally got $27M for being tall. He shot 46% from the FT line last year and instead of spending time on the gym working on it, he got even worse. advanced stats for having casuals think this scrub is good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait for the pick and roll ball handler to return from injury. There is a reason those two are besties.
    You'll see these same posters change their tune once White's back, tbh. Anyone watching the games last season is aware of White's dynamic with Poeltl, and how he fed Jakob easy buckets for days on PnRs and drives. Dejounte, for all his improvements, is a far worse handler in the PnR and doesn't look for Poeltl nearly as much, even when he's still rolling to the rim on most possessions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is disrespectful to Rasho, sir. Kindly take that back.
    Agree! Rasho had decent mid range and can actually rebound. Poetl can't even make 2' away from the basket and
    so soft, even skinny guards can push him away..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Softest spurs center I've ever seen tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not playing in the wrong era. This guy sucks in any era. He has hands like Ayres, shoots free throws like Deandre Jordan, and has a touch like Jason Collins. He's not a good rim protector and I hope people stop saying that for good. He has 3 blocks 9 games. Wolves backup center had that many blocks THIS game

He literally got $27M for being tall. He shot 46% from the FT line last year and instead of spending time on the gym working on it, he got even worse. advanced stats for having casuals think this scrub is good
    Yeah I agree with you on all fronts. the dude keeps getting owned by random scrubs and everybody already knows he can’t guard any all star caliber big man. Dude is not worth his contract and Derrick effing White isn’t going to suddenly change that. Made no sense to me to pay that kinda money for a back up center and everyone kept telling me he is young or he just needs more minutes. And I’m like the dude couldn’t be a starter as a top 10 pick. He must suck then just by that statement alone. Top 10 picks get more leeway than any other player. He is and always will be a back up center

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is the most casual thing to say.

Thread Information