Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10 blocks over the last 4 games, I think it's safe to say he's thawing tbh.
    i just wonder if he'll ever be able to keep the fouls down. because otherwise if he plays at the level we've seen last 2-3 games, that second unit should continue to roll, not to mention when we get White back up and running

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just wonder if he'll ever be able to keep the fouls down. because otherwise if he plays at the level we've seen last 2-3 games, that second unit should continue to roll, not to mention when we get White back up and running
    That's definitely the biggest concern with him tbh. He'll always be soft as in the paint so the ship has sailed on fixing that.

I'm inclined to think the fouls is just a reps thing where he tries to do too much in a bench role and he becomes more accustomed once he's starter with starter mins. But that was a problem for him during the bubble as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's definitely the biggest concern with him tbh. He'll always be soft as in the paint so the ship has sailed on fixing that.

I'm inclined to think the fouls is just a reps thing where he tries to do too much in a bench role and he becomes more accustomed once he's starter with starter mins. But that was a problem for him during the bubble as well.
    if anything the fouling tells me he's at least trying to be physical

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad the turtle is getting back to playing his game. Still would like for him to fix that freethrow %

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sell high!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already bought low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have to be high to sell now. Look at how the team performs when he is on the court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl-Interview with the Austrian Press Agency (APA) about CoV, his role, his performance and the Spurs going forward.

Pöltl is preparing for a new CoV break

The coronavirus pandemic has already shaken up the schedule of the new season of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Despite a strict security concept, 15 games had to be canceled in the first four weeks. Jakob Pöltl is therefore preparing for another complete game stop. His great hope for a "normal" operation is widespread vaccination.

"If there are too many diseases in society, or if it no longer makes sense in terms of sport, you definitely have to consider what the alternatives are," Pöltl is quoted in the APA. All teams are affected to a similar extent by failures and postponements, but the Viennese already locates a certain “compe ive distortion”.

Due to infections and close contacts, several clubs recently did not have the required eight ready-to-use players. In addition, the league has already tightened the hygiene measures. "We only spend the time in the hotel or in the hall, otherwise there is a curfew," said Pöltl before a guest appearance of his San Antonio Spurs at the Golden State Warriors. "We are in self-isolation, there are stricter mask requirements." The protection may only be removed for eating, in your own rooms and on the playing field.

The preparation for the games is therefore monotonous and not ideal, but what must be, must be, according to the Viennese. "Of course I can imagine better conditions, but I can live with them," said Pöltl about the ongoing match. "As long as it is not dangerous or too distorting of compe ion, I have no problem with it." The NBA professional also has hopes for a nationwide vaccination: "Hopefully it will come soon and increasingly for everyone."

Pöltl relies on constant growth
    In terms of sport, Pöltl was finally on the upswing at the beginning of January after what it said was a "hangover". In the last two games, the 25-year-old scored double digits and received great praise for his defensive performance. “These are normal ups and downs,” said Pöltl, who after his three-year extension at the Spurs will initially have to line up behind center veteran LaMarcus Aldridge. However, the 35-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season.

Pöltl emphasized that he had no problem with his playing minutes, so far just under 20 per game. "If I consistently perform, play defense and play my role offensively, the minutes will go up over time." He wants to keep expanding his role. But primarily it is about winning games. And that's what the Spurs are doing so far. With eight wins from 14 games, the Texans are on a play-off spot that many would not have thought they would have expected at the start of the season.

“I don't want to interpret too much. We played good basketball against a couple of strong opponents, you can build on that, but we haven't achieved anything yet, ”said Pöltl. The way to the desired goal of the knockout round, which was missed for the first time last season after 22 years of continuous participation, is still a long way. "We still have to give a lot more gas if we want to be in the play-offs at the end of the season."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what does he want to expand his role to?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what does he want to expand his role to?
    Starter, most likely. imo Poeltl is fine being the 5th option when he's on the floor, but if the Spurs really did promise him a chance at starting as part of getting him to agree to his contract, it's hard to imagine keeping Aldridge past this year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert level rim protection at a quarter of the price. This overpaid bum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starter, most likely. imo Poeltl is fine being the 5th option when he's on the floor, but if the Spurs really did promise him a chance at starting as part of getting him to agree to his contract, it's hard to imagine keeping Aldridge past this year.
    I think the opposite. LMA will be 36 next year and while he's still an offensive weapon he has become a clear defensive liability...with little to none hope to improve that much in that department. So, Imho, if he's not willing at all cost go be back in Portland, it will be in his best interest to accept a more limited role in a supposedly winning team like our team could be in the next future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, he probably should start and then get LMA touches in the second unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, he probably should start and then get LMA touches in the second unit.
    Would look closer to the bubble lineup, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert level rim protection at a quarter of the price. This overpaid bum.
    You get what you pay for. He doesn't rebound or finish anywhere near Gobert's level. And he's so foul prone that it's impossible to play him Gobert's kind of minutes. Jakob has never had a season above 20 mpg while Gobert's been a 30 mpg player his entire career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You get what you pay for. He doesn't rebound or finish anywhere near Gobert's level. And he's so foul prone that it's impossible to play him Gobert's kind of minutes. Jakob has never had a season above 20 mpg while Gobert's been a 30 mpg player his entire career.
    Exactly especially if you have no other rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip has got to work with him as Poeltl has ZERO confidence on his free throws, especially with Aldridge’s defense in the milk box. Poeltl hits those free throws and dunk those layups, we have ourselves a very good team. That’s the bottomline and it all hangs on Poeltl sinking that ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip has got to work with him as Poeltl has ZERO confidence on his free throws, especially with Aldridge’s defense in the milk box. Poeltl hits those free throws and dunk those layups, we have ourselves a very good team. That’s the bottomline and it all hangs on Poeltl sinking that ball.
    Man, way to bring me down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's more mental with his free throw shooting, although his mechanics do look terrible. Still, he was close to 55-60% from the line in college and his first couple of NBA seasons. No reason he can't get back to that %, which would be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, way to bring me down.
    It’s true though. Poeltl has the rim protection, the rebound. And Spurs won with Aldridge scoring 5 against a quality team. All other things given, Poeltl hitting those is a game changer imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's at 23% right now. On pace to crush the all-time worst FT % of 30% by Ben Wallace.

Means he's unplayable late in games. Assuming he's not already in foul trouble. His defense is nice. Outside of that he's a complete liability, offensively. Even within 5 feet, he's likely not to finish. And teams are absolutely gonna start fouling him when he's on the floor at the end of quarters.

Imagine expecting 9M/yr when you can't put yourself in a ing gym in the midst of a pandemic to at least improve your form so your shot looks better. He's absolutely regressed there. An NBA PLAYER should never be below 40%, let alone 25%. Pathetic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's at 23% right now. On pace to crush the all-time worst FT % of 30% by Ben Wallace.

Means he's unplayable late in games. Assuming he's not already in foul trouble. His defense is nice. Outside of that he's a complete liability, offensively. Even within 5 feet, he's likely not to finish. And teams are absolutely gonna start fouling him when he's on the floor at the end of quarters.

Imagine expecting 9M/yr when you can't put yourself in a ing gym in the midst of a pandemic to at least improve your form so your shot looks better. He's absolutely regressed there. An NBA PLAYER should never be below 40%, let alone 25%. Pathetic.
    Relax the free throws are just at 1.2 attempts per game. Every other game he shoots 2 free throws. He's at 70% at the rim this season. He shoots so few free throws that the percentage would be closer to career 50% than 23% with more attempts.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 01-30-2021 at 12:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relax the free throws are just at 1.2 attempts per game. Every other game he shoots 2 free throws. He's at 70% at the rim this season.
    Last night was the first time Hack-a-Jak was employed. Won't be the last. I think he's **airballed** 4 FTs already, *this year*, 19 games into the season. Kobe said he never airballed a FT *in his life.*

And yes, he's at 70% mostly on layups. His percentage drops drastically for every 12 inches he moves out.

In fact, he basically doesn't take shots beyond 4 feet out. Teams can double off of him. And he's an offensive liability that will increasingly be exposed as his minutes increase. There's a reason the Spurs are 0-4 with him in the starting lineup.
    Last edited by offset formation; 01-30-2021 at 12:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was about to say he’s the worst FT shooter of all time. Bring in Chris Dudley as his personal coach good god

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night was the first time Hack-a-Jak was employed. Won't be the last. I think he's **airballed** 4 FTs already, *this year*, 19 games into the season. Kobe said he never airballed a FT *in his life.*

And yes, he's at 70% mostly on layups. His percentage drops drastically for every 12 inches he moves out.

In fact, he basically doesn't take shots beyond 4 feet out. Teams can double off of him. And he's an offensive liability that will increasingly be exposed as his minutes increase. There's a reason the Spurs are 0-4 with him in the starting lineup.
    If he's such a liability why did the nuggets try to take him out of the game.

Poeltl + Aldridge > Poeltl + Eubanks.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 01-30-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Thread Information