Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was about to say he’s the worst FT shooter of all time. Bring in Chris Dudley as his personal coach good god
    he is the new Bryn Forbes. Thankfully he can’t stay in the game for more than 20 minutes without getting in foul trouble. Watching him makes me miss Matt Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is the least of San Antonio's problems, in my opinion-- and honestly, not even a problem at all. He makes an average salary, and consistently posts incredible advanced stats with a second unit that is the main reason the Spurs have a winning record... he's basically the Bruce Bowen of a team that doesn't have a Timmy or a Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's such a liability who did the nuggets try to take him out of the game.

Poeltl + Aldrich > Poeltl + Eubanks.
    They weren't trying to take him out, per se. They were trying to get SA to waste possessions. Right now, SA can expect to get like .48 points per possession when Poeltl is shooting FTs. There's not a defense in the world that will get better PPP than that. I don't think they minded that SA would take Poeltl out, since they seemed to have a good handle on LMA. But the goal was to waste that chance for the Spurs.

That said, Poeltl isn't useless away from the rim. His passing is a plus from that range, and the Spurs should probably give him more short-rolls to let him make decisions from the high post. It wouldn't be as effective as it could be if Poe where a threat, but it's a nice change-up to him fully rolling every time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relax the free throws are just at 1.2 attempts per game. Every other game he shoots 2 free throws. He's at 70% at the rim this season. He shoots so few free throws that the percentage would be closer to career 50% than 23% with more attempts.
    Lol relax at shooting 23% free throws? What kinda bull is this? So you just randomly double his free throw percentage based on what exactly? I feel like if he shot more free throws his percentage would go up. Ok in that case Poetl should shoot more outside jumpers since that’s all it takes to become adequate. There is no defending 23% ever. EVER.

He’s barely playing 20 minutes a game and his defense is usually pretty good (not like DPOY like most people act like he is). But if he’s hacked, how tf is he gonna stay on the floor? Malone used the strategy bc he rather LMA no defense guard his best player than Poetl. And Poetl, knowing he had to stay on the floor, responded with an air ball. That’s being a ty teammate that you can’t count on tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For perspective on those saying his free throws aren’t a big deal. He has to make 14 in a row to get up to 50%. However, he only has to miss 2 in a row to be at 20%. Which percentage seems more plausible?

And this isn’t to hate on Jakob, bc he is a wonderful 18 minute a game guy. But this is more for anybody who says he should be a starter or play 30 something minutes. You just can’t suck that much offensively and be that big of a minute player. This isn’t 2005 anymore. Defense isn’t played anymore. You gotta adjust to the new rules. Offense is what wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For perspective on those saying his free throws aren’t a big deal. He has to make 14 in a row to get up to 50%. However, he only has to miss 2 in a row to be at 20%. Which percentage seems more plausible?

And this isn’t to hate on Jakob, bc he is a wonderful 18 minute a game guy. But this is more for anybody who says he should be a starter or play 30 something minutes. You just can’t suck that much offensively and be that big of a minute player. This isn’t 2005 anymore. Defense isn’t played anymore. You gotta adjust to the new rules. Offense is what wins.
    "defense isn't played anymore"

LMA: "I like this guy!"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol relax at shooting 23% free throws? What kinda bull is this? So you just randomly double his free throw percentage based on what exactly? I feel like if he shot more free throws his percentage would go up. Ok in that case Poetl should shoot more outside jumpers since that’s all it takes to become adequate. There is no defending 23% ever. EVER.

He’s barely playing 20 minutes a game and his defense is usually pretty good (not like DPOY like most people act like he is). But if he’s hacked, how tf is he gonna stay on the floor? Malone used the strategy bc he rather LMA no defense guard his best player than Poetl. And Poetl, knowing he had to stay on the floor, responded with an air ball. That’s being a ty teammate that you can’t count on tbh.
    Yes. Statistically it would be closer to his career average.

And to the point of offset of Jakob not being able to close quarters there was a rule change in the 2016-2017 season.

Away-from-the-ball fouls now award the fouled team a free throw and possession of the ball in the final 2 minutes of each quarter, extended from the prior rule affecting only the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok this got out of hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "defense isn't played anymore"

LMA: "I like this guy!"

Bryn: "I agree Lamarcus. I like this guy. Defense isn't being played anymore. The Spurs would never replace me because of that. No way."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok this got out of hand.
    League average of points per game is 111 Dejounte. Silver changed all the rules to benefit offense the same way Goodell did in the NFL. Prior to these last few seasons, you had to go back to 1972 to get a season that was at 111 points per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bryn: "I agree Lamarcus. I like this guy. Defense isn't being played anymore. The Spurs would never replace me because of that. No way."

Popovich: "Hold on, guys. This is the same guy who claimed he has my direct line and said that we finally listened to him on how to handle Dejounte. THEN he claimed he was just being sarcastic and forgot the blue font. Don't trust this guy. He sounds like he's full of .

Wait a second, did he just back his argument by saying the league average for points is higher so therefore defense isn't being played and doesn't matter anymore???"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Statistically it would be closer to his career average.

And to the point of offset of Jakob not being able to close quarters there was a rule change in the 2016-2017 season.

Away-from-the-ball fouls now award the fouled team a free throw and possession of the ball in the final 2 minutes of each quarter, extended from the prior rule affecting only the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

His free throw percentage this year has nothing to do with his past. At least I was able to admit I was wrong about DJ. You can’t do the same when it comes to Poetl. Just admit that 23% is something that none of us should relax on. That he is more likely to miss two in a row than make 14 in a row. Like ur seriously so scared to admit that ur wrong that you just said a player that has made 5 free throws all year (and missed 18) is more likely to make 14 in a row than miss 2 in a row. I will bet you that he misses 2 in a row before he makes 14 in a row.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Popovich: "Hold on, guys. This is the same guy who claimed he has my direct line and said that we finally listened to him on how to handle Dejounte. THEN he claimed he was just being sarcastic and forgot the blue font. Don't trust this guy. He sounds like he's full of .

Wait a second, did he just back his argument by saying the league average for points is higher so therefore defense isn't being played and doesn't matter anymore???"

False DJ. I never said defense doesn’t matter. I said it isn’t being played anymore. There’s a difference. Name a great defensive team today. Every contender scores a ton of points and their defense is shaky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl has been good in his role for the last few weeks.
    I do think he needs to address the FT issue if he is ever to get more minutes.
    What is more embarrassing, shooting 22% FTs or shooting them underhanded? I think he needs to try underhanded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still waiting for that great defensive team Dejounte. Still waiting for that bet ranktear. Easy to talk earlier. Now... crickets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still waiting for that great defensive team Dejounte. Still waiting for that bet ranktear. Easy to talk earlier. Now... crickets
    You literally gave me 10 minutes to respond and you're saying crickets?

The problem is you keep comparing today's defense with yesterday's defense.

It's all relative.

The best defensive teams today stand out among other NBA teams. That's just a simple fact.

If you have league pass, all you have to do is check out the top 10 teams in defense today and see how much of a joy it is to watch a team that can make stops. The Bucks are an example. The Jazz and the Lakers are others.

Teams that are in the top 10 in defense still win championships. Fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like someone said,

Poetl is the least of the team's concerns right now.

The team is suffering from unreliable offense from its starting SG and unreliable defense from its starting C.

Surprisingly, Keldon is holding his own at the PF spot.

So if we are to look at holes to fill, those are the spots we should be whining about.

Not a player who's being paid bench money playing a bench role.

Earlier in the season, Poetl deserved all the bashing. He's stepped up on defense since and he's been superb at it.

Edit:

The unreliable offense from the SG position will be fixed tonight by White.

Edit #2:

It could also be fixed by starting Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, can you imagine starting Vassell and then coming with a bench of Mills, Lonnie, White, Gay and Poeltl? Nuts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His free throw percentage this year has nothing to do with his past. At least I was able to admit I was wrong about DJ. You can’t do the same when it comes to Poetl. Just admit that 23% is something that none of us should relax on. That he is more likely to miss two in a row than make 14 in a row. Like ur seriously so scared to admit that ur wrong that you just said a player that has made 5 free throws all year (and missed 18) is more likely to make 14 in a row than miss 2 in a row. I will bet you that he misses 2 in a row before he makes 14 in a row.

It does, we are only 19 games in. He is shooting 50% on 279 attempts before this season and 23% on 24 attempts. Not even 1/4 his attempts per season. Statistically it should be closer to 50% than 20%. Nobody is guarding him on those attempts, the form didn't seem to change. There is no way to know if its mental.

I don't know what to tell you, i still believe it would be closer to his career average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does, we are only 19 games in. He is shooting 50% on 279 attempts before this season and 23% on 24 attempts. Not even 1/4 his attempts per season. Statistically it should be closer to 50% than 20%. Nobody is guarding him on those attempts, the form didn't seem to change. There is no way to know if its mental.

I don't know what to tell you, i still believe it would be closer to his career average.
    There’s more than just saying it’s mental stuff though. Did he work on free throws during the off-season? Did he get his contract and like a lot of other players just mail it in during the off-season. From what I can tell, he hasn’t added one thing to his game this year from previous years. Did he pout bc Pop told him his role was going to be the same and just say eff it, I’m going to just do what I always do and get by.

I don’t know the answers but it’s not always as simple as saying well it’s mental. If the dude was in the gym working on his free throws during the off-season, he would be able to sink them this year when many teams don’t even have fans or if they do it’s less than a fourth of capacity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like someone said,

Poetl is the least of the team's concerns right now.

The team is suffering from unreliable offense from its starting SG and unreliable defense from its starting C.

Surprisingly, Keldon is holding his own at the PF spot.

So if we are to look at holes to fill, those are the spots we should be whining about.

Not a player who's being paid bench money playing a bench role.

Earlier in the season, Poetl deserved all the bashing. He's stepped up on defense since and he's been superb at it.

Edit:

The unreliable offense from the SG position will be fixed tonight by White.

Edit #2:

It could also be fixed by starting Vassell.
    But Poetl is a problem and ur not even addressing it. LMA is trash on D this year (I think everyone can agree to this). Would t it be nice to have a reliable big man that can legitimately take away his minutes? Wouldn’t that solve a lot of issues? Like if Poetl could give us 12 and 8 and 65% from free throws, and play 35 minutes a game. Does this not fix one of the problems you are talking about. It totally would. But he is so inept on one side of the ball that he is no longer a possible solution to our problem.

Like I said, I wish we could combine the two players into one instead of playing two flawed ones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You literally gave me 10 minutes to respond and you're saying crickets?

The problem is you keep comparing today's defense with yesterday's defense.

It's all relative.

The best defensive teams today stand out among other NBA teams. That's just a simple fact.

If you have league pass, all you have to do is check out the top 10 teams in defense today and see how much of a joy it is to watch a team that can make stops. The Bucks are an example. The Jazz and the Lakers are others.

Teams that are in the top 10 in defense still win championships. Fact.
    Yes it is all relative. But would any of the teams in the past 3 years be comparable to the 99 Spurs? The 03 Spurs? The 04 Pistons? The 08 Celtics? No they don’t compare at all bc they are way tier. I don’t think we will see an all time great defense anymore. It just isn’t allowed.

I remember in college I got the highest grade on my government test in the class and it was an 88. That’s not a great grade by any stretch of the imagination and it sure as didn’t mean I was a great student. But comparable to my peers, my test was the best. That’s how I think of today’s defense. Yes they are at the top but teams are getting 88s on tests and I’m supposed to feel impressed when I’ve seen other teams of yesteryear get 100’s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Poetl is a problem and ur not even addressing it. LMA is trash on D this year (I think everyone can agree to this). Would t it be nice to have a reliable big man that can legitimately take away his minutes? Wouldn’t that solve a lot of issues? Like if Poetl could give us 12 and 8 and 65% from free throws, and play 35 minutes a game. Does this not fix one of the problems you are talking about. It totally would. But he is so inept on one side of the ball that he is no longer a possible solution to our problem.

Like I said, I wish we could combine the two players into one instead of playing two flawed ones
    How did I not address it? I literally said he's the least of the team's concerns. Meaning.... he IS a concern, but the LEAST.

LMA is being paid $24 mil and providing very little and yet you're complaining MORE about the guy being paid $9 mil.

There's no logic there.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is the new Bryn Forbes. Thankfully he can’t stay in the game for more than 20 minutes without getting in foul trouble. Watching him makes me miss Matt Bonner.
    He has 2.1 fouls/game, 3.7 fouls/36 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did I not address it? I literally said he's the least of the team's concerns. Meaning.... he IS a concern, but the LEAST.

LMA is being paid $24 mil and providing very little and yet you're complaining MORE about the guy being paid $9 mil.

There's no logic there.
    I mean I can start a thread about LMA if you like but he has led the team to the playoffs and got us to the WCF twice either as 1A or the B. Poetl hasn’t really done much for the franchise.

Also fairly or unfairly I look at Poetl as part of our future going forward so I’m going to be harder on the guy who is going to play for next year. Also it’s a pet peeve of mine for players to air ball open easy shots.

Thread Information