Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I can start a thread about LMA if you like but he has led the team to the playoffs and got us to the WCF twice either as 1A or the B. Poetl hasn’t really done much for the franchise.

Also fairly or unfairly I look at Poetl as part of our future going forward so I’m going to be harder on the guy who is going to play for next year. Also it’s a pet peeve of mine for players to air ball open easy shots.
    I don't care what Aldridge has done for us in the past. Why does that matter now? How is that productive going forward? "Thank you Aldridge for all the stuff you've done years ago, I won't look at how bad you are in the present"??? Such a weird point to bring up.

Again, Poetl's future with us has such a low risk negative impact on the team given that he's being paid bench money. Who cares if he is part of the team as long as he is playing as good as an average bench piece (which he is playing that well)?

Focusing on the future and how Poetl fits into it is pointless. We also both know how bad you are at predicting the future. This offseason is going to be a wild one and there will be so many directions the Spurs can go if they want to upgrade the center position because of the fact they've positioned themselves to be flexible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I can start a thread about LMA if you like but he has led the team to the playoffs and got us to the WCF twice either as 1A or the B. Poetl hasn’t really done much for the franchise.

Also fairly or unfairly I look at Poetl as part of our future going forward so I’m going to be harder on the guy who is going to play for next year. Also it’s a pet peeve of mine for players to air ball open easy shots.
    Also,

Literally the first report that came out this season about possible Spurs moves for the upcoming offseason was about a player who can play C (Dinos Mitoglou). So there you go, the Spurs are likely thinking about upgrading the C position.

Why worry about such trivial matters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care what Aldridge has done for us in the past. Why does that matter now? How is that productive going forward? "Thank you Aldridge for all the stuff you've done years ago, I won't look at how bad you are in the present"??? Such a weird point to bring up.

Again, Poetl's future with us has such a low risk negative impact on the team given that he's being paid bench money. Who cares if he is part of the team as long as he is playing as good as an average bench piece (which he is playing that well)?

Focusing on the future and how Poetl fits into it is pointless. We also both know how bad you are at predicting the future. This offseason is going to be a wild one and there will be so many directions the Spurs can go if they want to upgrade the center position because of the fact they've positioned themselves to be flexible.
    I mean last year I said that Pop would start Bryn. Not play white and DJ together and we would miss the playoffs. All 3 happened.

This year I said Poetl would only play 20 minutes a game and be a bench player at best.
    DJ was gonna suck with the starters and we should trade him (totally wrong about that)
    I thought we were gonna miss the playoffs initially but after conversing with you/ and seeing our schedule I changed my mind to us having home court advantage. I believe I said we were gonna get the 2 seed.

But I think you are talking about my take that we had the worst future out of all the teams in our division. And I stand by that. This year notwithstanding, I believe that the rest of the teams are better suited going forward. Except for the Rockets which I just didn’t believe that they would trade Harden. I certainly wouldn’t have. Even if he is a cancer. But 3 teams have their stars and we still need ours.

Also LMA doing stuff for us has a big reason for my lack of criticism for him. I didn’t expect him to really play defense at age 35 anyways. Maybe you did? We didn’t sign him to an extension (but when we picked up his option I did complain about GM Wrong at the time). But he atleast has some equity in the fan relationship bank that he can suck and I’m not gonna flip out too much over it. Jakob has no such equity with me. If I have to see another air ball free throw or air ball 2 footer for the next 3 years I’m gonna lose it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys think Aldridge would be able to play at least a bit better defense if he lost weight? I don't understand why he didn't lose weight if he was told that he's going to be taking more threes and playing out on the perimeter. It doesn't make sense for him to come in overweight like he's going to be playing in the post with the offense running through him in the post. Really egregious on Lamarcus' behalf to not consider losing weight which might have helped his game more this season, especially when he's looking for his next contract. Being more mobile on both offense and defense is what he needed. I wanted to keep him, but now I have no problem trading him during the season as he's too much of a liability.
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-30-2021 at 08:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys think Aldridge would be able to play at least a bit better defense if he lost weight? I don't understand why he didn't lose weight if he was told that he's going to be taking more threes and playing out on the perimeter. It doesn't make sense for him to come in overweight like he's going to be playing in the post with the offense running through him in the post. Really egregious on Lamarcus' behalf to not consider losing weight might have helped his game more this season, especially when he's looking for his next contract. Being more mobile on both offense and defense is what he needed. I wanted to keep him, but now I have now problem trading him during the season as he's too much of a liability.
    if you look at him now he looks fine. He is what he is. There are still post up centers in the league and he has to box out and defend them. Losing weight won’t make him a perimeter defender or threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys think Aldridge would be able to play at least a bit better defense if he lost weight? I don't understand why he didn't lose weight if he was told that he's going to be taking more threes and playing out on the perimeter. It doesn't make sense for him to come in overweight like he's going to be playing in the post with the offense running through him in the post. Really egregious on Lamarcus' behalf to not consider losing weight might have helped his game more this season, especially when he's looking for his next contract. Being more mobile on both offense and defense is what he needed. I wanted to keep him, but now I have now problem trading him during the season as he's too much of a liability.
    LMA does seem to be checked out this season. I think he sees his championship window as officially being over combined with us missing the playoffs last year and it really affected him mentally. I’m not even sure the dude wants to be here. There may have been a talk between him and Pop to get him out of here and that’s where all the Golden St rumors started, but since it didn’t happen, he kinda has checked out. I am disappointed in him too. Like how many times do I have to see him jump and raise his hand up to “defend” a player that he is 15 feet away from. That is ridiculous and I hope Pop chews his ass out every time in film session for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA does seem to be checked out this season. I think he sees his championship window as officially being over combined with us missing the playoffs last year and it really affected him mentally. I’m not even sure the dude wants to be here. There may have been a talk between him and Pop to get him out of here and that’s where all the Golden St rumors started, but since it didn’t happen, he kinda has checked out. I am disappointed in him too. Like how many times do I have to see him jump and raise his hand up to “defend” a player that he is 15 feet away from. That is ridiculous and I hope Pop chews his ass out every time in film session for it.
    Wouldn’t be surprising for such a regular season player/career loser. Always been a lazy bum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wonder why the spurms didnt get involve in that multi trade for harden, get allen as a defensive centre and get rid of lma...means more touches to go around for the wing players, then trade DD for BB

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again Poeltl was the problem and a liablility out there. No offense and Spurs don‘t need his overrated defense. I’m surprised he didn’t get in foul trouble. At least he only played 18 minutes. Trade him! There‘s so much more they could get for 9 mill/year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soft, soft, soft! is about all I can say about this guy. Wherever you are Rasho, I am sorry for calling you soft back in the day. You look like Ben Wallace in comparison to this guy. Also, thanks for being able to hit a free throw - something this guy can't do despite there not being any fans out there. Absolutely shocking how bad he's looked at the free throw line as there hasn't even been any added pressure from a packed house of fans to heckle and yell at him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again Poeltl was the problem and a liablility out there. No offense and Spurs don‘t need his overrated defense. I’m surprised he didn’t get in foul trouble. At least he only played 18 minutes. Trade him! There‘s so much more they could get for 9 mill/year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes exits the team suddenly nobody likes defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You get what you pay for. He doesn't rebound or finish anywhere near Gobert's level. And he's so foul prone that it's impossible to play him Gobert's kind of minutes. Jakob has never had a season above 20 mpg while Gobert's been a 30 mpg player his entire carder.
    How did Gobert against Jokic? He was played off the floor!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to necro this thread, but has my guy spurraider21 been keeping up with Andre "better than Poeltl" Drummond lately?

My guy's been "balling out" the last 7 games: he's lead the Cavs to a 2-8 as the perfect tank commander. He's having a whopping 34% usage rate (good for 7th highest in the entire NBA), with a ghastly 47%TS, awful metrics of 98 ORtg/110 DRtg, and averaging 17 points on 16 FGA. Also shooting a terrific 43%... From 2. Not to mention more TOs than assists.

Please, tell me more about his rebounds and how the Spurs sorely need his production, and how he'd be such a better fit on the Spurs than Jakob... I'll wait

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to necro this thread, but has my guy spurraider21 been keeping up with Andre "better than Poeltl" Drummond lately?

My guy's been "balling out" the last 7 games: he's lead the Cavs to a 2-8 as the perfect tank commander. He's having a whopping 34% usage rate (good for 7th highest in the entire NBA), with a ghastly 47%TS, awful metrics of 98 ORtg/110 DRtg, and averaging 17 points on 16 FGA. Also shooting a terrific 43%... From 2. Not to mention more TOs than assists.

Please, tell me more about his rebounds and how the Spurs sorely need his production, and how he'd be such a better fit on the Spurs than Jakob... I'll wait
    Drummond is absolutely better than Poeltl. But no i wouldn’t want him as my first option. But yes, interesting time to necro the thread after Poeltl has played his best ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond is absolutely better than Poeltl. But no i wouldn’t want him as my first option. But yes, interesting time to necro the thread after Poeltl has played his best ball.
    Drummond being better than Poeltl was never the argument, and you know it - I was being tongue-in-cheek. Of course you wouldn't want him as a first option, nor a second, nor third one... I wouldn't want him on the team at all . Nice to see you're waking up to reality. And btw, I didn't necro it because Poeltl was playing well (which he has), but because Drummond was playing historically badly, same as he's always played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can make those FT’s he’s perfect

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t get it as he’s not on the floor for enough minutes, but he’s been playing at an All Defense team level this year. When he’s not a complete zero on offense, he’s a great piece out there.

But when he’s not hitting FT and looks lost out there offensively...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond being better than Poeltl was never the argument, and you know it - I was being tongue-in-cheek. Of course you wouldn't want him as a first option, nor a second, nor third one... I wouldn't want him on the team at all . Nice to see you're waking up to reality. And btw, I didn't necro it because Poeltl was playing well (which he has), but because Drummond was playing historically badly, same as he's always played.
    that was my argument all along. check the quotes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His FT is fixable imo. He has the form. Just needs to see those get in more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Poetl is able to sustain being a top defensive big man in the league, I could care less about his offense. Makes it less holes on the roster to fill.

The offense can come from the four other positions and you take what you can get from Poetl as a bonus. Honestly, he's improving on pick and rolls so there's potential here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's improving on pick-n-rolls because D. White is back and has a knack for finding the roll or pop man. The only other player on the Spurs (that get significant playing time) that can somewhat set Poeltl up for an easy bucket rolling t the basket is Patty, and not to his own fault, he is to short too always complete the play.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Poetl is able to sustain being a top defensive big man in the league, I could care less about his offense. Makes it less holes on the roster to fill.

The offense can come from the four other positions and you take what you can get from Poetl as a bonus. Honestly, he's improving on pick and rolls so there's potential here.
    I agree. He needs to fit in and help the other players score by setting picks and moving the ball. Put another way, he isn’t a black hole, which we have plenty of already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was my argument all along. check the quotes
    You're wrong.

Poeltl could score 0 points the entirety of this season, and I still wouldn't want any part of Drummond, tbh
    This was my original comment, to which you started extrapolating "how could you rather have Poeltl when Drummond is so much better?!". You then went on a lot of tangents such as "but would you rather have Poeltl at his contract, or Drummond at Poeltl's???" which aren't related to my point at all. But as I imagined, Poeltl scored (almost) 0 points last game, and still had a much better impact on the game than Drummond could've had - I would've much rather have him out there with this Spurs team than Drummond taking up shots all game long, stunting teammates and throwing games away.

Anyways. Here's to hoping Jakob keeps hitting clutch FT's.

Thread Information