Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been a huge Jak hater but the way he is playing now is pretty impressive. He just needs to start dunking on ppl. Learn a dribble bounce, drop step move. He is a beast of a body down low. Bully the opponents and draw contact. Will Perdue was more forceful in the paint.
    I think as he gets the FT thing down, he’ll be more aggressive in the paint. Right now, they just foul him.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when these advanced defensive stats said kawhi was one of the worst defenders in the league, in a year where he was a defensive monster. They’re, trash. No team takes them seriously. But I guess they’re good for meaningless internet arguments

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have no idea if poetl is any good or not, but advanced defensive stats are basically . They mean nothing. You can’t make judgments off them like you can with advanced offensive stats.
    That's because you don't watch games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think as he gets the FT thing down, he’ll be more aggressive in the paint. Right now, they just foul him.
    Your right and I guess that is where my frustration with Poodle lays in that as much as we rag on LMA showing up out of shape the same can be said for Poodle. Him shooting 30+% tells me he is not putting in the off season work and also him showing Zero growth on his offensive game.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because you don't watch games.
    Who said anything about games? I was literally talking about stats, dummy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when these advanced defensive stats said kawhi was one of the worst defenders in the league, in a year where he was a defensive monster. They’re, trash. No team takes them seriously. But I guess they’re good for meaningless internet arguments
    That never ing happened. His DWS and DBPM have always been elite.

Stop lying and making up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Poeltl has been the starting line up the Spurs have the #1 Defensive Rating in the league. Before they were greatly improved from last year, but still in the middle of the pack. If that doesn’t scream to you that Poeltl’s Defensive Advanced Stats are are accurate then I second ecstatic’s “bull .”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just don't give Poeltl the ball. He can't do with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have multiple capable shooters you can get away with an inside big on offense. Derrick being a threat off the bounce is huge because outside of Patty no one on this team is comfortable pulling up from 3 off a high screen and roll. In the starting line up some nights it looks like Derrick white is your only comfortable 3 point shooter at all.

A shooting big can mitigate that in the short term, but the long term ceiling of this team will be contingent on Keldon and Dejounte developing a consistent stroke to the point of being above average. We need reliable shooting in the backcourt and wings before we start talking about a center being the problem, IMO.

Pop wants to use Gay at the 5 at times when teams fall into zone but they routinely get killed in the paint defensively. Lyles is too slow and doesn’t understand rim protection. So short of a player like Kelly O coming back in a trade- I like using Luka situationally at the 5 like we’ve seen in gleague.
    if you got DeRozan on the team you need a shooting big. And with our players being drivers who like to get to the rim that pulls the other teams big out the paint. So a shooting big is needed if we extend DeMar, which will happen

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just don't give Poeltl the ball. He can't do with it
    He had 6 assists against ORL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had 6 assists against ORL.
    On dribble hand offs. That’s cool, but there’s no reason to give it to him deep in the paint only for him to miss a bunny cause he can’t score with his back to the basket. Hand offs and when he’s a roller are no problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said anything about games? I was literally talking about stats, dummy.
    I know dummy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you got DeRozan on the team you need a shooting big. And with our players being drivers who like to get to the rim that pulls the other teams big out the paint. So a shooting big is needed if we extend DeMar, which will happen
    like i said, if DJ and Keldon are league average or better % wise from 3 at an expanded volume from where they are now I don’t think it’s a problem. Demar is still able to use a kind of high screen and roll to generate his bread and butter looks from 19 that generate some kind of space.

We’ll cross the Demar extension bridge when we come to it but a 1+1 deal wouldn’t surprise me. I can also see them getting outbid by a team like New York and thibs who was already calling for management to trade young players for “seasoned vets” this past offseason.

Last thing- We all talk about guys like DJ, Derrick, Keldon developing and getting better year by year, but why not Jakob? Why is Jakob always discussed like a finished product when bigs take notoriously longer to develop? The offensive game hasn’t done much, but his ability to find himself in the right place offensively and “fit in” has improved drastically from the bubble on. Basically his awareness and timing is noticeably improved. That extends defensively as well, where this year he is absolutely one of the most fearsome presences in the paint defensively in the nba today. The eye test and every quantifiable data point you can find back that up. So what’s stopping Jakob from continuing to develop his passing, add a power dribble to turn some of those 5 foot bunny floaters into dunks, and maybe get at least confident enough to threaten a shot from 15 feet? I think he can and will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On dribble hand offs. That’s cool, but there’s no reason to give it to him deep in the paint only for him to miss a bunny cause he can’t score with his back to the basket. Hand offs and when he’s a roller are no problem
    If most were on dribble hand offs, which is possible, he’s still generating the look by virtue of his size and screening ability, that’s the intention of the play. His screening is an underrated part of his contribution on the court.

I do specifically remember a pass from the high post and one on the block in a 2 man situation with dejounte that led to buckets. He can dish it when he needs to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine is he had a bonus for dunking? 1m for averaging 1 a game.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sure, bro. And I’m sure Patty Mills and Rudy Gay are the best defenders on the Spurs this year!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pay no attention to him. Just a little attention trying to stir things up.
    Follow your own words, bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, bro. And I’m sure Patty Mills and Rudy Gay are the best defenders on the Spurs this year!
    It's all about bias, advanced statistics, without actually watching the games mean absolutely nothing. Last season, Divicenzo had better defensive statistics than DW, but anyone with two neurons knows that this is a complete joke, if you brought that data to the Spurstalk, it would be a reason for jokes (and with good reason), just as if you try to claim that Jakob changes the game defensively on the same level as Gobert, you will be ridiculed anywhere outside of spurstalk, and everything is fine, as long as everyone is aware that they analyze it based on their bias instead of full reality ( , there were people arguing that it made sense to have Forbes on the team, even though watching just five minutes was enough to see how damaging it was and the ripple effect it created on the team).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Follow your own words, bro.
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like i said, if DJ and Keldon are league average or better % wise from 3 at an expanded volume from where they are now I don’t think it’s a problem. Demar is still able to use a kind of high screen and roll to generate his bread and butter looks from 19 that generate some kind of space.

We’ll cross the Demar extension bridge when we come to it but a 1+1 deal wouldn’t surprise me. I can also see them getting outbid by a team like New York and thibs who was already calling for management to trade young players for “seasoned vets” this past offseason.

Last thing- We all talk about guys like DJ, Derrick, Keldon developing and getting better year by year, but why not Jakob? Why is Jakob always discussed like a finished product when bigs take notoriously longer to develop? The offensive game hasn’t done much, but his ability to find himself in the right place offensively and “fit in” has improved drastically from the bubble on. Basically his awareness and timing is noticeably improved. That extends defensively as well, where this year he is absolutely one of the most fearsome presences in the paint defensively in the nba today. The eye test and every quantifiable data point you can find back that up. So what’s stopping Jakob from continuing to develop his passing, add a power dribble to turn some of those 5 foot bunny floaters into dunks, and maybe get at least confident enough to threaten a shot from 15 feet? I think he can and will.

because the Turtle has been in the league for 5 years and hasn’t developed any offensive game whatsoever. He can’t even shoot free throws. There’s no development happening here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all honesty I don't think anyone can argue these two statements right now:
    1. Poodle is a Good Defender
    2. Poodle Offensive game Sucks

Do I hate the guy no I think he as some say a good singing for a backup - If he would have been our center when Timmy, Manu, Parker where still playing I would have been very Happy. But they not playing and I think we need more offensive from our Center as the league has gone to 3 ball.

Any way, I hope he does finally put the work in the off season and he gets his free throws at least in the 60% - I think him hitting that percentage would give him more mental courage to be more aggressive on offensive . You can tell he doesn't want to shoot cause he is scarred they will foul him and he will have to go to the line. There is nothing worse as a player to go the line and brick free throws it really screws up your mental game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the in here Poodle Slurpers and defend this ty excuse of offense

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every time an advanced stat virgin comes in spewing their capital letter metrics... just bring up this useless piece of and they’ll stfu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the bottom line is: If you can't make lay ups, you can't start in the NBA. And Poeltl just got blocked by the rim trying to do an up and under. As a 7-footer that's just embarassing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor man’s Tiago Splitter minus the health issues

Thread Information