Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your problem is not with Poeltl but the fact that the Spurs don't have superstars at other positions because if we did have superstars, he would be fine. So why not argue for better players at the other positions, instead of focusing on one player who's as "minimally impactful on winning" as the other guys? And *if* Poeltl was just as good as the other guys in the SL, how far would that hypothetical team go given that no one from 1-5 is a superstar? This circular reasoning is fun.
    I’m not arguing anything other than the contention that he’s a player that can have an impact in the playoffs. He’s not. He’s the type of serviceable player that you can plug in on a quality team. He’s the guy that gets the last spot in a packed lineup. And if you’re expecting him to be more than that, your team Is ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don’t want to get rid of Jak. He has improved so much that I actually want to keep him. I couldn’t say that before the year. Though I think I literally wanted everybody gone except White, Lonnie, and KJ after last years show

I just think Jak should be part of the super sub crew. He is a beast in spurts of the game, which is perfect for a bench player. I really don’t know what the solution is going forward. Bc we are one piece from being contenders but also like one injury from really sucking. It might be the best of both worlds if we get a run of slight injuries and end up accidentally tanking and get that “key piece” that we need
    Not a troll post - which "piece" are we away from, that could be had realistically for the Spurs, and would put them into actual contention? From the rest of your post, I gather it'd be a C, to displace Jakob into the bench... So which big could the Spurs land, that would make them literal contenders? To be honest, I have my reservations that even someone like Embiid would be insufficient for the Spurs to contend for real. Or well, maybe Embiid does it just because he's so good, put Jokic in that bag as well, maybe even AD.... None of which will be had by the Spurs. So who else is there?

Most times, teams who are "one injury away from really sucking" are hardly also "one piece away from contention", unless that piece is a hypothetical All-NBA player coming in mercenary-style, á la Nephew, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a troll post - which "piece" are we away from, that could be had realistically for the Spurs, and would put them into actual contention? From the rest of your post, I gather it'd be a C, to displace Jakob into the bench... So which big could the Spurs land, that would make them literal contenders? To be honest, I have my reservations that even someone like Embiid would be insufficient for the Spurs to contend for real. Or well, maybe Embiid does it just because he's so good, put Jokic in that bag as well, maybe even AD.... None of which will be had by the Spurs. So who else is there?

Most times, teams who are "one injury away from really sucking" are hardly also "one piece away from contention", unless that piece is a hypothetical All-NBA player coming in mercenary-style, á la Nephew, tbh.
    Nah for me that one piece is like a Luka, nephew SF guy. They don’t grow on trees which is why I said I don’t have a solution for going forward. It’s also why I said maybe we could luck our way into one with a high draft pick. And pretty much your last paragraph is what I was referring to when it comes to contention. Like Phoenix for instance, not exactly but it is my example, they had a buncha really solid pieces in Ayton, Bridges, and Booker. But they didn’t have that superstar. They get Chris Paul (even old ass CP3 is having an mvp like year) and next thing you know they are like the 2 seed in the west.

myself, I would like to re-sign DDR, just throw the max to Bridges and see where the chips land. I don’t even think that is possible going into next year but I don’t know cba stuff. For me though Bridges can be a dog for us going forward and fills up a need for us. Of course also in my fantasy land was for us to trade White/other player to Atlanta (he is the perfect backcourt partner for Trey Young) and get Bogdon and Collins back. Easy stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah for me that one piece is like a Luka, nephew SF guy. They don’t grow on trees which is why I said I don’t have a solution for going forward. It’s also why I said maybe we could luck our way into one with a high draft pick. And pretty much your last paragraph is what I was referring to when it comes to contention. Like Phoenix for instance, not exactly but it is my example, they had a buncha really solid pieces in Ayton, Bridges, and Booker. But they didn’t have that superstar. They get Chris Paul (even old ass CP3 is having an mvp like year) and next thing you know they are like the 2 seed in the west.

myself, I would like to re-sign DDR, just throw the max to Bridges and see where the chips land. I don’t even think that is possible going into next year but I don’t know cba stuff. For me though Bridges can be a dog for us going forward and fills up a need for us. Of course also in my fantasy land was for us to trade White/other player to Atlanta (he is the perfect backcourt partner for Trey Young) and get Bogdon and Collins back. Easy stuff
    Well, that's just playing into the problem then - the team's current configuration practically guarantees that, barring a Jokic-like diamond-in-the-rough pick, the Spurs won't get that Luka/Nephew kind of player out of the draft. Beyond what Spurstalk might trash-talk about the team, they're nowhere near being bad enough to tank. So it's my original point again - why is everyone so fixated on trying to change Poeltl, when he's FAR from the main separator between the Spurs and actual contention? There's no scenario, barring the Sixers gently gifting us Embiid, that both gets Poeltl in the bench, retains the rest of the lineup, AND makes the Spurs contender. There just isn't.... Bigger change is needed.

And that's the conversation I'd love to read about, see what other posters have to say. Which of our players would not be able to start for a contender? The way he's played this season, I gather the most common answer will be Lonnie, but I'd wager it goes far beyond that. I'm becoming skeptical that White, maybe even Dejounte, could be at that level... And every time we play a team with a star level PG-SG, I walk away from the screen with that same feeling.

As for the rest of your post, the Suns are nowhere near a good comparison to us, they already had Ayton and Booker, both by far better than any player currently on the Spurs at this moment. They were a piece away from contention, as we've seen this season, but not an injury away from really sucking (well, no more than any other team that could lose their superstar to injury, tbh). Also, a max to Bridges.... Interesting, I hadn't seen that before. IDK if he'd live up to it, but interesting move for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Poeltl back to being good again.

Jak is prefectly fine as a starting center, tbh. Sure, it would be better if he could shoot, but watchagonnado? You can't have it all. He's still pretty damn good at other very important things for the position on this day and age. Things like switching and staying in front of guys while also presenting an intimidating presence inside. On defense, he's pretty much as good as it gets. On offense he does some things underratingly well, like setting some of the best screens in the league, finish and pass the ball. If he could shoot he would probably be an all-star.

Stop ing, we could be doing much worse at the position (we could still be starting Aldridge, for example). There are many starting centers in the league who are worse than Poeltl, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On dribble hand offs. That’s cool, but there’s no reason to give it to him deep in the paint only for him to miss a bunny cause he can’t score with his back to the basket. Hand offs and when he’s a roller are no problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Follow your own words, bro.
    Yup. Somehow his posting awfulness and lying had escaped me, up to this point. Plonk. Onto the ignore list with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakobs job is be a threat on the dump off pass and finish when necessary, play excellent defense, and give us a double double type effort every single night.

If he does those things, we are in a good position to win basketball games. The defense is there. He needs to find more confidence and consistency with his offense but it will come.

Anyone clamoring to give up a legit DPOY caliber center without any clear replacement or attainable center to play in his place is just talking to hear themselves think. He’s also a year older than dejounte and a year younger than Derrick. He’s not done developing.

This is my take today, tomorrow, it will continue to be my take. If Jakob puts up 25 and 10 in our next game it will be my take, if he forgets how to play basketball and puts up 2/5 with 6 turnovers it will
    be my take. Bump the thread, say whatever you want. Time will prove me right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakobs job is be a threat on the dump off pass and finish when necessary, play excellent defense, and give us a double double type effort every single night.

If he does those things, we are in a good position to win basketball games. The defense is there. He needs to find more confidence and consistency with his offense but it will come.

Anyone clamoring to give up a legit DPOY caliber center without any clear replacement or attainable center to play in his place is just talking to hear themselves think. He’s also a year older than dejounte and a year younger than Derrick. He’s not done developing.

This is my take today, tomorrow, it will continue to be my take. If Jakob puts up 25 and 10 in our next game it will be my take, if he forgets how to play basketball and puts up 2/5 with 6 turnovers it will
    It was the same thing with Bowen, back in the day, a constant clamor to get a scoring SF, defense be damned. Casuals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one is saying he’s Jokic or Sabonis but Jakob does a great job making the right passes from that high post position and has shown an ability to thread the needle and even make difficult passes on the money at times.

You couple that with his screening ability and natural timing in hand off situations and he does yeomans work in setting up clean looks for Demar and dejounte that goes unappreciated every single night.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is saying he’s Jokic or Sabonis but Jakob does a great job making the right passes from that high post position and has shown an ability to thread the needle and even make difficult passes on the money at times.

You couple that with his screening ability and natural timing in hand off situations and he does yeomans work in setting up clean looks for Demar and dejounte that goes unappreciated every single night.
    Yesterday he had 9! screen assists for 20 points in 25 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Advanced stats! Argle Bargle!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol who needs advanced stats??? Thats VIRGIN bro I actually WATCH the GAMES and A LOT and Potl is trash!!! LMAOOo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now seriously, this is the good take. I also loathe people flip-flopping on opinions of players depending on a good or bad game or two... Spurstalk at the start of the season was calling for Poeltl's head, then he got his groove going and suddenly he was the much superior option to LMA (which had been clear for a while, but anyways), then a couple of bad games and everyone's out to get him again. No nuance, no overarching analysis, just hot takes. I'm told ST wasn't always like this, and would've loved to have some more constructive conversations here than most modern posters allow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now seriously, this is the good take. I also loathe people flip-flopping on opinions of players depending on a good or bad game or two... Spurstalk at the start of the season was calling for Poeltl's head, then he got his groove going and suddenly he was the much superior option to LMA (which had been clear for a while, but anyways), then a couple of bad games and everyone's out to get him again. No nuance, no overarching analysis, just hot takes. I'm told ST wasn't always like this, and would've loved to have some more constructive conversations here than most modern posters allow.
    When LMA passed on attending the Bubble, it became clear from the elevated level of play that Poodle was the better option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When LMA passed on attending the Bubble, it became clear from the elevated level of play that Poodle was the better option.
    And yet multiple posters here were endlessly complaining about his performances, especially in the Philly game IIRC, lol. I seem to recall also multiple people clamoring for LMA to get back, saying we'd be better with him than Jakob......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that was a good pass. I'd like to see more of this. Like I said, I don't have a problem with him starting, but he needs to finish better and we need a better back up than Eubanks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was a good pass. I'd like to see more of this. Like I said, I don't have a problem with him starting, but he needs to finish better and we need a better back up than Eubanks
    I‘m not sure if he‘s a starter longterm. Could also be a placeholder and step back in a backup role if he‘s not consistent and gets better with his free throws. But he definitely would be one of the better backups in the NBA, who can step in if your starter gets hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl can be very talented if and when he wanted to. The problem is you need to kick this guy's ass every time. As soon as he got the starting position, he got complacent.
    In contrast Eubank brings it every time. He likes to dunk ALL THE TIME, block ALL THE TIME. Eubank just need to learn to shoot 9 footers. But right now, Eubank is the perfect backup big with his energy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl can be very talented if and when he wanted to. The problem is you need to kick this guy's ass every time. As soon as he got the starting position, he got complacent.
    In contrast Eubank brings it every time. He likes to dunk ALL THE TIME, block ALL THE TIME. Eubank just need to learn to shoot 9 footers. But right now, Eubank is the perfect backup big with his energy.
    Lol what?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I‘m not sure if he‘s a starter longterm. Could also be a placeholder and step back in a backup role if he‘s not consistent and gets better with his free throws. But he definitely would be one of the better backups in the NBA, who can step in if your starter gets hurt.
    I would rather have him as a back up as well, but right now he's the best option starting. He should definitely not play more than 30 minutes per night, ideally he splits the 48 with a capable 3-point shooting big and they both play 24 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you don't watch Spurs games because that's what Eubank wants to do every time he's close to the basket, is to dunk the ball. And you can search for his dunks, he likes to dunk on people.
    My point is Eubank has been good with the energy that he brings, but with Poeltl you have to light up his ass every time. Poeltl is lazy. It took him some 20 games before he could learn to shoot FT's again. What was he doing during the break??

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you don't watch Spurs games because that's what Eubank wants to do every time he's close to the basket, is to dunk the ball. And you can search for his dunks, he likes to dunk on people.
    My point is Eubank has been good with the energy that he brings, but with Poeltl you have to light up his ass every time. Poeltl is lazy. It took him some 20 games before he could learn to shoot FT's again. What was he doing during the break??
    I was just laughing at how you describe Eubanks game.

Eubanks is shooting 44% from the field. You can't say Poeltl should be more like Eubanks. Your funny.

If you watch a lot of Drew what is his signature move?
    Last edited by rankingtear; 03-17-2021 at 02:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just laughing at how you describe Eubanks game.

Eubanks is shooting 44% from the field. You can't say Poeltl should be more like Eubanks. Your funny.
    You need to understand the whole argument. It's the energy that Eubank brings vs Poeltl being complacent.
    I already said Poeltl can be very talented if and when he wanted to.

Thread Information