Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are ting on paying him because of next years cap space.

And they don't even know what it would be used for.
    LMAO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, "overpay." Look at the ing market.

We got our new whipping boy, at least. I can't wait to avoid this forum again because of all the insufferable chodes.
    Cry more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are ting on paying him because of next years cap space.

And they don't even know what it would be used for.
    LMAO.
    Like I said earlier, there's still room for signing one max player next year. Were people expecting us to sign two max players next year or something?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said earlier, there's still room for signing one max player next year. Were people expecting us to sign two max players next year or something?
    Do you think Spurs have a max player in mind? Is there a max player you could see them targeting in a trade yet this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a school of thought that we cannot get free agents to sign here, let alone max free agents and the Spurs next offseason will likely not be a destination for free agents barring the unexpected accelerated development of one of the young guys.

That may be part of the calculus. The offseason is not over yet and LMA, DDR, Patty and Rudy may yet be traded for someone who will also impact next years cap and that is the direction rather than maxing out cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Spurs have a max player in mind? Is there a max player you could see them targeting in a trade yet this season?
    The only worthwhile one I see is Giannis, and he fits the team's age group. I can't believe his ass is still only 25 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude plays 17 minutes a game and puts up less than 6 and 6. Can he improve? Maybe. His offense I doubt he improves bc he hasn’t improved it his entire career. His defense, for all the fanfare, doesn’t really matter in the long run bc he plays 17 minutes a game.

He plays hard, sets screens, is decently mobile, but he is very clearly a back up center. Another overpay for a backup. I can’t be too surprised I guess considering that seems to be our MO. He is 25 so maybe there’s hope in his upside, but what offensive improvement has he really shown? Jumper? No. Post game? No. Does he finish well in traffic? Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been a school of thought that we cannot get free agents to sign here, let alone max free agents and the Spurs next offseason will likely not be a destination for free agents barring the unexpected accelerated development of one of the young guys.

That may be part of the calculus. The offseason is not over yet and LMA, DDR, Patty and Rudy may yet be traded for someone who will also impact next years cap and that is the direction rather than maxing out cap space.
    That is true, too. Maybe Pascal Siakam or Jayson Tatum would be the trade targets ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please trade Murray. The experiment is over. Lonnie shouldn’t feel safe either. He has only shown flashes & that’s not enough at this point. Where are the compe ive DOGS on this roster? We have none.
    I'm on the fence. Murray has shown flashes of greatness, especially defensively...but as he has become more confident, he also has shown a propensity to make boneheaded moves because he is trying to do too much. He has speed in the open court, but still hasn't learn to control a fast break. That breakdown against the Sixers in the bubble was squarely on his shoulders for these reasons.

As for Lonnie...I still don't know what to expect. He seems to have the tools (as we saw in his outburst against the Rockets last year)...but he still doesn't seem to know how to apply them. He seems to be way too content to blend into the background for a guy with "star potential". I still think back to young Manu who would stick his nose in there and do crazy things even if he knew Pop was going to blast him on the bench. I know Manu's are rare...but Lonnie needs to have that same mentality if he wants to stand out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only worthwhile one I see is Giannis, and he fits the team's age group. I can't believe his ass is still only 25 years old.

Same. The other options on *max* players would be George, Leonard, Adebayo, and Tatum. Maybe someone throws max money at Jonathan Isaac. Orlando might not match, especially coming off an injury. Perhaps that is our play. Overpay for Jonathan Isaac? Realistically, I don't see any of those players leaving their current team.

The next option is splitting max on two players, and maybe Issac enters that conversation.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, give me the cap space instead. Hopefully he'll remain as tradeable as others proclaim he'll be if that salary cap space is needed.
    Exactly! Giannis can‘t wait to sign with the Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Montrese Harrell is getting virtually the same money and he's much better.
    have you seen the playoffs?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same. The other options on *max* players would be George, Leonard, Adebayo, and Tatum. Maybe someone throws max money at Jonathan Isaac. Orlando might not match, especially coming off an injury. Perhaps that is our play. Overpay for Jonathan Isaac? Realistically, I don't see any of those players leaving their current team.

The next option is splitting max on two players, and maybe Issac enters that conversation.
    As I think about it, Isaac is plausible. We offer more than Orlando wants to pay and tempt them with a sign and trade. I.e. overpay Isaac, then offer White or DJ or Lonnie for them not to match. Or a future pick. If his camp signals that Isaac doesn't want to resign in Orlando within the season, the Magic might do something at deadline. All this is unlikely, but Isaac is more likely a Spur than any other max or near max player.

On paper, he fits really well with the team minus our expiring vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I think about it, Isaac is plausible. We offer more than Orlando wants to pay and tempt them with a sign and trade. I.e. overpay Isaac, then offer White or DJ or Lonnie for them not to match. Or a future pick. If his camp signals that Isaac doesn't want to resign in Orlando within the season, the Magic might do something at deadline. All this is unlikely, but Isaac is more likely a Spur than any other max or near max player.

On paper, he fits really well with the team minus our expiring vets.
    Not sure about the appeal of Isaac. Very rare a reclamation project ever exceed what they have already shown. It'll be similar to Trey Lyles, I feel like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you seen the playoffs?
    Montrezl was straight up unplayable in the playoffs. He hasn't adjusted well to the current NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has really sucked the joy out of being a fan. I’ve never seen such an overall fall from grace from a once revered front office.

Yeah Jakob isn’t catastrophic in and of itself; but it’s a continuation of a trend of really poor decision making and doing Jack right.
    You other old time posters are sooooo dramatic. I watched the bubble and see the massive potential with our players. And yes, I bet we make the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude plays 17 minutes a game and puts up less than 6 and 6. Can he improve? Maybe. His offense I doubt he improves bc he hasn’t improved it his entire career. His defense, for all the fanfare, doesn’t really matter in the long run bc he plays 17 minutes a game.

He plays hard, sets screens, is decently mobile, but he is very clearly a back up center. Another overpay for a backup. I can’t be too surprised I guess considering that seems to be our MO. He is 25 so maybe there’s hope in his upside, but what offensive improvement has he really shown? Jumper? No. Post game? No. Does he finish well in traffic? Nope.
    We can only hope that the FO believes he can grow into more. With a starter role and starter minutes, he could produce enough to justify the contract.

That said...if LMA is still sponging minutes next season, then he'll be left with cleanup duty.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about the appeal of Isaac. Very rare a reclamation project ever exceed what they have already shown. It'll be similar to Trey Lyles, I feel like.
    Don't see him as a reclamation project at all. He was one of the more exciting young players in the league last year. Could be the best defensive player in basketball and his offensive game is continuing to develop. The injury, not the talent, is the question with Isaac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well why we all want them to trade LMA, DDR, Gay, and Mills, I always assumed that the original plan was to just let all their contracts expire at the same time and open up a ton of cap space for next year...

There is also the human element of this where Poeltl is a guy you got in the Kawhi trade...there is no doubt at the absolute worst Demar is gone after next season...that means the kawhi trade only netted you poeltl and keldon...you let poeltl walk then the kawhi trade only netted you keldon... I assumed the spurs were always going to sign poeltl if for no other reason than to save face in that trade...

A short deal and not to big of an overpay for a big with quick feet, a good rim runner, and at times a really good rim protector...

I would like his offense to be better but realistically between dejounte derrick lonnie keldon and luka...exactly how many shots is he really going to get ? He sure as isn't getting shots this coming year with LMA DDR and Gay needing to showcase themselves for another nba contract...those 3 are shooting everything they touch...
    If that was the plan paying Jakob hurts the cap space plan is the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You other old time posters are sooooo dramatic. I watched the bubble and see the massive potential with our players. And yes, I bet we make the playoffs
    If common sense is dramatic I don’t know what to tell you lol.

I’ve explained clearly that I like Sa youth and think they will be ok. Not the point of the nitty gritty we are discussing though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what the complainers were hoping for. They probably just don’t care for him.

So far so good FO. Now dump Forbes and it’ll all work out!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything about this off-season was predictable if you'd been paying attention to what the front office has been doing the past 4 years or so.

They have absolutely no long term plan and are just treading water not realizing they're sinking. Really probably the worst run team in the western conference.

The thought of watching LMA, DDR, Gay, and Patty play a ton of minutes just so that the Spurs can land the #14 pick rather than in the top 5 is nauseating.

It would not surprise me if DDR is wearing a Spurs uniform for years to come
    I see no lies in this post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp. Not happy but it's not as high as I feared. Starting at $8-something is better than starting at $10 million. I'd rather have cap space, though, tbh.

This was a drama filled signing. Wonder if the local press will cover that aspect. I've heard bits and pieces but Poeltl had multiple teams after him and it's not a coincidence that the deal was done like five minutes before he was free to sign an offersheet elsewhere
    I feel like Spurs have a good idea of who they are going to sign in free agency way before it comes. I doubt Spurs can do much better with free agency money than this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are basically the 2010s Detroit Pistons now

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lamo so many delusional people here. Calling Poeltl overpayed? 9 mil isn't overpayed. before the start of free agency i guess he'd be getting 7 mil, which is close. WHat overpayed is Morris getting 64 mils, Grant getting 60 mils.

Thread Information