Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not justifiable, being 7 feet tall and air balling a wide open layup. Then having the nerve to wonder where the foul was. De able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not justifiable, being 7 feet tall and air balling a wide open layup. Then having the nerve to wonder where the foul was. De able.
    He’s not airballing them, the opponents just don’t mind fouling him, and sometimes the fouls aren’t called.

He infuriates me, but not for the same reasons as some of you. He’s pretty much elite, defensively, he just ing stoned Wood last night, shut him down. He sets great screens and understands spacing. He just really needs to DUNK THE ING BALL. No one is going to give him a layup. If he would dunk the ball like 80% of the time on rolls, he could earn that contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not airballing them, the opponents just don’t mind fouling him, and sometimes the fouls aren’t called.

He infuriates me, but not for the same reasons as some of you. He’s pretty much elite, defensively, he just ing stoned Wood last night, shut him down. He sets great screens and understands spacing. He just really needs to DUNK THE ING BALL. No one is going to give him a layup. If he would dunk the ball like 80% of the time on rolls, he could earn that contract.
    Alright, you are right about the stuff you mentioned in regard to defense (I'm letting his offensive struggles blind me there), but his free throw shooting, shooting in general and finishing around the rim is shockingly bad. I've seen a lot of bad shooting centers still be able to finish when they're near the rim, but he can't even do that. When you're a bad free throw shooter, fans will probably make you miss even more free throws, but this guy is still shooting a historically low percentage despite there being no fans in the arena. I am shocked at how bad he is right now at free throws. A free throw is like an open layup for me, so I just can't fathom how someone can be as bad as he is. He's good in certain areas on the defensive side of the ball, but he is simply terrible right now on offense.

Edit : Great screen setter. I guess I should at least give him that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, you are right about the stuff you mentioned in regard to defense (I'm letting his offensive struggles blind me there), but his free throw shooting, shooting in general and finishing around the rim is shockingly bad. I've seen a lot of bad shooting centers still be able to finish when they're near the rim, but he can't even do that. When you're a bad free throw shooter, fans will probably make you miss even more free throws, but this guy is still shooting a historically low percentage despite there being no fans in the arena. I am shocked at how bad he is right now at free throws. A free throw is like an open layup for me, so I just can't fathom how someone can be as bad as he is. He's good in certain areas on the defensive side of the ball, but he is simply terrible right now on offense.

Edit : Great screen setter. I guess I should at least give him that.
    Finishing at the rim is fine it's the floater range where he is struggling, he was usually efficient in that area last year. His efficiency from floater range is what makes him good in the pick and roll without being a vertical threat like a Jarret Allen or Deandre Jordan. Don't know if White can fix that but it would certainly help. Another thing is the coaching staff is trying to post him up and it is proving to be a failed experiment. The post up experiment, struggling early at the FT and the absence of White are affecting his confidence on offense right now.

Rim protection and screen setting are still there. A lot of wide open Patty looks are because of the Jakob PNR, unfortunately it does not benefit him unlike the when White is the ballhandler.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a guy that can only legitimize himself with advanced stats. It's not hidden. It's in plain view. When he was on the floor, the Spurs were a better team, even if he underwhelmed with his offense. His defense was visibly effective in limiting the Rockets. He's a mobile big that can guard on the perimeter and in the paint. He played high level defense. We would've won the game if he closed out the 4th, unless of course they intentionally fouled him. That is what he need to improve. He has to make free throws. But if he could fix that part of his game, his defense is a game changer for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not a guy that can only legitimize himself with advanced stats. It's not hidden. It's in plain view. When he was on the floor, the Spurs were a better team, even if he underwhelmed with his offense. His defense was visibly effective in limiting the Rockets. He's a mobile big that can guard on the perimeter and in the paint. He played high level defense. We would've won the game if he closed out the 4th, unless of course they intentionally fouled him. That is what he need to improve. He has to make free throws. But if he could fix that part of his game, his defense is a game changer for the Spurs.
    that if has been out there for 5 years and he's shooting the worst % of his career. He won't be able to fix it and that's what most people here don't realize. They think he can develop his game when it's a fact that he can't

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that if has been out there for 5 years and he's shooting the worst % of his career. He won't be able to fix it and that's what most people here don't realize. They think he can develop his game when it's a fact that he can't
    A 36-year old Jason Kidd transformed himself into a 3 point shooter to keep his career going when he was a terrible shooter earlier in his career. Poetl can improve at free throw shooting, at least to get to an adequate level. Others have done it. He can do it.

If he can just be a 70 percent free throw shooter, his defense and passing make him a starting caliber player in the NBA, at least for how bigs are currently used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 36-year old Jason Kidd transformed himself into a 3 point shooter to keep his career going when he was a terrible shooter earlier in his career. Poetl can improve at free throw shooting, at least to get to an adequate level. Others have done it. He can do it.

If he can just be a 70 percent free throw shooter, his defense and passing make him a starting caliber player in the NBA, at least for how bigs are currently used.
    Poeltl is not Jason Kidd. Poeltl is Poeltl the turtle. He hasn't been able to add anything to his game in 5 years. You'd be right if there was constant progress in his game, but there isn't any. Besides that he has stated that basketball doesn't motivate him, so it's not like he has a determination to get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl regressed. Not sure what happened in the two month off season. Maybe getting set for life financially did it.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His problem is solely in his scoring efficiency right now. He's got a .475 TS% which is awful. It's being weighed down by two things. One obvious issue is his FT percentage. The other less obvious one is his shooting from 3-10 feet. Here's the relevant shooting charts from bball-ref:

https://www.basketball-reference.com....fcgi?id=iIdqS

He's shooting 25% more shots from 3-10 feet than he did last year and he's only shooting .267 from there, way down from .507 that he shot from there last year. I've not been watching the games closely enough to see why he's shooting more frequently from there and struggling. The precipitous drop from that range and from FT makes me wonder if he's tweaked his shooting form, and it's just not working right now.

He's dunking and scoring at the rim as well as he ever has but FTs and 3-10 is killing his scoring efficiency.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His problem is solely in his scoring efficiency right now. He's got a .475 TS% which is awful. It's being weighed down by two things. One obvious issue is his FT percentage. The other less obvious one is his shooting from 3-10 feet. Here's the relevant shooting charts from bball-ref:

https://www.basketball-reference.com....fcgi?id=iIdqS

He's shooting 25% more shots from 3-10 feet than he did last year and he's only shooting .267 from there, way down from .507 that he shot from there last year. I've not been watching the games closely enough to see why he's shooting more frequently from there and struggling. The precipitous drop from that range and from FT makes me wonder if he's tweaked his shooting form, and it's just not working right now.

He's dunking and scoring at the rim as well as he ever has but FTs and 3-10 is killing his scoring efficiency.
    He is posting up earlier in the season.

I wonder as well, it's broken right now. Maybe coaching staff is tweaking it. Keldon struggled with his shooting when they were tweaking it in the g-league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He shot 69% in his sop re season in college with 6.6 attempts per game. I don‘t know what happened to him after that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shouldve brought baynes back, yes nba poster boy on the end of dunks, but he knows the system, has range, can set brick wall screens...

he got a cheaper deal then the pos mention for this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    STIFF at any price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way let us not put the blame on Poetle. He signed the contract gleefully like anyone with sense would.

The ridicule falls squarely on the shoulders of Spurs management who dared to believe his career stats weren't an indicator of future contributions.
    Could they not have scouted a player or two to fill in the 18mpg Poetle plays, for a 6-5 middling ball club.

I did notice Poetle had a respectable 60% clip at the FT line during the Leonard quit season. That gives me hope this 12 game run can be excused.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what is up with poeltl but not only are his FTs awful, so is his ability to finish at the rim. that airball layup last night was atrocious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sO mUcH pOtEnTiAl

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this guy on this forum?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That or Spurs Reddit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never offended anyone on twitter and I can't see this kid's tweets, something tells me that he is one of the crazy jakob fans in st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never offended anyone on twitter and I can't see this kid's tweets, something tells me that he is one of the crazy jakob fans in st.
    It’s me guys. You did it. You caught the tater. I just can’t handle this Jakob hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s me guys. You did it. You caught the tater. I just can’t handle this Jakob hate
    #sad

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu last 3 minutes for the kings was better than any 3 minute stretch Poeltl has had all year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu last 3 minutes for the kings was better than any 3 minute stretch Poeltl has had all year
    Is Metu still in the NBA?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might even be better then any stretch any Spur big has had this year.

Thread Information