Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh I'd be happy for Poeltl to get a huge game. I'm a Spurs fan for over 30 years. I like them to win.
    But it's wrong to say Poeltl got a huge game when Young, LeVine and even Satoransky was getting points on a layup against Poeltl. Do me a favor and watch the highlights. Bulls were not hitting the 3 as much, but all points in the paint with Poeltl as the main defender.

Poeltl is very capable of swatting 5 shots in a game. He used to do it. He had ZERO block last night.
    In games that Spurs lost, we didn't have interior defense, and that's how defenders scurry to help and leave the open 3's.

Give me rim protection and rebound. Poeltl could score less and I would call it a huge game for him.
    Poeltl had a huge game, bruh, that's what you're missing. The fact that it doesn't meet your personal criteria for "great" due to missing blocks in the statline doesn't change the fact that it was, for everyone else who watched the game, a great performance from him.

I think you're really conflating Blocks = Defense here, tbh. You can perfectly defend the rim, deter shots in the paint, and otherwise alter the flow of the offense near the rim, without recording a single block (did Timmy record a block every single game? No...); and likewise, you can record many blocks, yet be uneffective as a rim protector or defensive anchor (matter-of-factly, Eubanks had 2 blocks, yet didn't protect the rim nor defend the paint and perimeter nearly as well as Jakob - would you say he had the better defensive performance?). Yes, many Bulls players scored on Poeltl - as I told you, and RC_Drunkford also pointed out, he was busy defending the perimeter players of the Bulls, mainly Lauri and switching on Lavine occasionally, which directly hinders his ability to be present at the rim in time to contest and block shots. Much harder to block shots when you're actively having to run after the opposing player from the 3pt line, tbh, and Poeltl had to do that many times last night.

Ideally, you want to have an also strong, defensive and shooting PF alongside Jakob, who can switch rim-protection duties with him when either is defending the perimeter, someone like Luka for example (it's no wonder the Spurs defense was markedly better with him alongside Jakob, and a mystery why he's not playing now). Right now, our first option at PF is either DeMar, who doesn't nearly have the body or defensive chops to fulfill this role, or Keldon, who isn't yet a good off-ball defender, much less a rim deterrent. So Jakob is mostly alone in that job (and if you watched the game, you had to notice Jak trying to play 1-on-5 on the defensive end that 1st quarter, he was getting no help whatsoever).

So, that's a long winded way to say your criteria for whether Poeltl plays good or doesn't, is not good. He had a great game, and we'd be incredibly lucky (and dominant) if we could get that Jakob every night. The reality is that yesterday's performance was closer to Jak's ceiling than to his mean... For better and worse

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope John B isn't using blocks as a determining factor in what is good defense. Marcus Camby won defensive player of the year one year where Tim Duncan was a superior defender and he couldn't even guard Tim Duncan in the playoffs. They had to take him off of TD and use Nene instead, and that was the guy the NBA gave the defensive player of the year to. The reason I mention this is because Camby lead the league in blocks that year, but IMO he was nowhere near as good of a defender as TD was. He wrongly won that award due to averaging a high amount of blocks.

A high amount of blocks doesn't always mean you're a good defender. I'd much rather a guy that can stick to his man and alter more shots than someone that gets 3-5 blocks a game, but can't guard his man or alter the shots of the person he's the primary defender of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope John B isn't using blocks as a determining factor in what is good defense. Marcus Camby won defensive player of the year one year where Tim Duncan was a superior defender and he couldn't even guard Tim Duncan in the playoffs. They had to take him off of TD and use Nene instead, and that was the guy the NBA gave the defensive player of the year to. The reason I mention this is because Camby lead the league in blocks that year, but IMO he was nowhere near as good of a defender as TD was. He wrongly won that award due to averaging a high amount of blocks.

A high amount of blocks doesn't always mean you're a good defender. I'd much rather a guy that can stick to his man and alter more shots than someone that gets 3-5 blocks a game, but can't guard his man or alter the shots of the person he's the primary defender of.
    Splitter was an elite rim protector, and had very few blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish there was a stat that tracked how many blocked shots resulted in turnovers, rather than out of bound plays with possession still with the opposing team. Jakob, I have noticed, has an excellent timing on his blocked shots - reminds me of TD - and in doing so, allows the ball to be won over by the Spurs for a new possession instead of being sent out of bounds a la Dwight Howard/ JaVale McGee highlight blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mentioned Poeltl's lack of rim protection because Spurs let the Bulls score 58 points in the 1st half. And it wasn't because the Bulls were hitting 3's crazy, but by scoring in the paint. It easily could have been an ugly lost to a lowly team, and people would've been ing how the Spurs played miserably. Luckily it was the PRESS DEFENSE in the 4th that created TO's and Spurs hitting timely baskets. And YES Poeltl was VERY much a part of that press defense. Great defense! I was talking about rim protection, swatting layups, altering shots. I want Poeltl to be a defensive beast in the paint, besides being able to switch on PNR. Luckily he scored 20 pts and rebounded 16, and that's why people here are calling it a huge game
    Last edited by John B; 03-19-2021 at 10:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned Poeltl's lack of rim protection because Spurs let the Bulls score 58 points in the 1st half. And it wasn't because the Bulls were hitting 3's crazy, but by scoring in the paint. It easily could have been an ugly lost to a lowly team, and people would've been ing how the Spurs played miserably. Luckily it was the PRESS DEFENSE in the 4th that created TO's and Spurs hitting timely baskets. And YES Poeltl was VERY part of that press defense. Great defense! I was talking about rim protection, swatting layups, altering shots. I want Poeltl to be a defensive beast in the paint, besides being able to switch on PNR. Luckily he scored 20 pts and rebounded 16, and that's why people here are calling it a huge game
    Again, you say you've watched the game. I've no idea what you have seen, but go check the stats from the game - Poeltl contested 25 shots in that game - 18 2pt shots and 7 3pt shots. The second best was Murray with 9 contests. In fact no other player had contested as many shots in a game since before the all star break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, you say you've watched the game. I've no idea what you have seen, but go check the stats from the game - Poeltl contested 25 shots in that game - 18 2pt shots and 7 3pt shots. The second best was Murray with 9 contests. In fact no other player had contested as many shots in a game since before the all star break.
    Great then. Poeltl had a great game, that's why Spurs almost lost big if not for a miraculous rally in the 4th, helped by the Bulls playing the 2nd night of a back to back.
    Poeltl dominated the paint. Geez how the Spurs defense standard sunk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great then. Poeltl had a great game, that's why Spurs almost lost big if not for a miraculous rally in the 4th, helped by the Bulls playing the 2nd night of a back to back.
    Well he really did. Also Spurs have a top 10 defense, on par with the Bucks. I've no idea how someone could have expected better.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he really did. Also Spurs have a top 10 defense, on par with the Bucks. I've no idea how someone could have expected better.
    I just found out that the Four Factors rankings on cleaningtheglass.com aren't behind their paywall.
    https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/league/fourfactors

What's good about those stats is that they exclude garbage time. The Spurs rank 6th in points allowed per 100 possessions outside of garbage time, and I saw a tweet last week saying they were 4th at the time. The Spurs' defense is legitimately very good. The offense only ranks 18th outside of garbage time and is bottom-8 in 3 of the 4 factors, with the league-best turnover rate being the only saving grace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just found out that the Four Factors rankings on cleaningtheglass.com aren't behind their paywall.
    https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/league/fourfactors

What's good about those stats is that they exclude garbage time. The Spurs rank 6th in points allowed per 100 possessions outside of garbage time, and I saw a tweet last week saying they were 4th at the time. The Spurs' defense is legitimately very good. The offense only ranks 18th outside of garbage time and is bottom-8 in 3 of the 4 factors, with the league-best turnover rate being the only saving grace.
    The most impressive of all is the opp FT rate - they play good defense while not fouling, which is incredibly exciting for such a young team. They can legitimately grow into a defensive powerhouse, especially having in mind they've barely had White yet. Offense on the other hand... I've no idea how they can fix this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl keeping them even remotely in the ball game early on allowed the team to stay in position for a comeback into the fourth quarter

again, confirmation bias simulator in full effect. In your mind, Poeltl=bad. It doesn’t matter what actually transpired, the conclusion in your mind must be reality. You claim his rim protection wasn’t acceptable and quote blocks as the reason why. You get told why that’s bogus with historical comparison with Camby and Duncan and why blocks aren’t a decent metric to compare overall defense. Then you get presented with actual data as to how many shots Jakob is able to contest- but you again decide to run from the truth and just say everyone else’s standards have sunk.

Jakob is a good player. He’s not a perfect player, but he’s a good one and he’s getting better. When he plays well the spurs win basketball games. When DJ and Derrick started the game like a combined 2-20 from the field- his contributions early and throughout were a huge reason the deficit wasn’t completely insurmountable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most impressive of all is the opp FT rate - they play good defense while not fouling, which is incredibly exciting for such a young team. They can legitimately grow into a defensive powerhouse, especially having in mind they've barely had White yet. Offense on the other hand... I've no idea how they can fix this.
    Dejounte and Keldon need to threaten 40% from 3 on ~4 attempts a game and be willing to let it fly every time they have even a crack of day light.

I think by this time next year it’s possible. DJ especially needs to turn some of those 18 footers into 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Really goes to show how SpursTalk will about everything and anything that they don't deem to their liking. By the way, where'd you get that stat? I'd love to look at it on the regular after games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Really goes to show how SpursTalk will about everything and anything that they don't deem to their liking. By the way, where'd you get that stat? I'd love to look at it on the regular after games
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me of Oberto but much better on defense. In a league of ball hog prima donnas I will take him. Definitely over LMA.
    He's a combination of traits from Oberto and Splitter, so I understand why the Spurs took him in the "most lopsided trade ever."

A lot of dumb ass trolls on here really, really under stating how impactful Poeltl has been over the last few games the team has won. He does a lot of the little things, sort of like Tim Duncan, that don't end up on the stat sheet & while anchoring an undersized defensive unit (that has climbed to 8th in DRTG).

He and Eubanks have stepped up a ton since LaMarcus essentially "quit" on the team and they've both been forced into larger roles. I love how both guys have been performing & hope they can continue to show this level of consistency & impact.

That would allow the team to allocate dollars in other pressing areas like a quality starting PF (Keldon shouldn't be a full - time PF) or a versatile, two - way combo forward (if one is even available).
    Last edited by J_Paco; 03-19-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte and Keldon need to threaten 40% from 3 on ~4 attempts a game and be willing to let it fly every time they have even a crack of day light.

I think by this time next year it’s possible. DJ especially needs to turn some of those 18 footers into 3s.
    This right here.

Maybe I've been infected by Morey-ball, but every time Murray, or anyone else (including players from other teams!), crosses halfcourt, gets a screen and uses it to take a pull-up 17-footer with 16 seconds on the shot clock, part of me dies inside. I hate those shots. No ball movement, an inefficient shot, and it forces the other teammates to hustle all the way back quickly because 1 or 2 of them are usually in the corner, out of position for a rebound and as far away from the opponent's basket as they can get.

Murray and DDR are shooting 48.4% and 51.7% on long 2s respectively, which is actually very good compared to the league average of 40.9%. Both numbers are outliers compared to their careers, though: Murray shots 43.1% and DDR 43.2% on long 2s last season. But consider that they would only need to shoot 32.3% (Murray) and 34.5% (DDR) from three to equal that efficiency, and shooting threes instead also has the added benefit of opening up more space in the middle for someone like Poeltl to do some high post passing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I’m saying is that Poeltl had to score a ton of points in order for us to beat the Bulls. He has to step up his scoring in order for us to win games if we both start him going forward AND lose Demar. People on here saying he can still score his 6 points a game and we will be fine and still win. That’s a buncha horse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I’m saying is that Poeltl had to score a ton of points in order for us to beat the Bulls. He has to step up his scoring in order for us to win games if we both start him going forward AND lose Demar. People on here saying he can still score his 6 points a game and we will be fine and still win. That’s a buncha horse
    He definitely needs to be a double - digit scorer and provide some offense as a starter (averaging 8.9 so far starting). The issue is he doesn't see the ball like his college days (23.8 USG% in college versus 13.1% as a Spur), plus that isn't what he's asked to provide.

I just want him to finish stronger inside, find a go - to move (other than his reliable flip/standing floater), shoot better from the line (at least 60% - 65%) & score on mismatches inside or in the post. The post up offense is the least necessary, but he should still provide it on switches or mismatches especially with his 7' or 7'1" frame.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 03-19-2021 at 02:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason he had to score so much is because everyone else was a non factor on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl keeping them even remotely in the ball game early on allowed the team to stay in position for a comeback into the fourth quarter

again, confirmation bias simulator in full effect. In your mind, Poeltl=bad. It doesn’t matter what actually transpired, the conclusion in your mind must be reality. You claim his rim protection wasn’t acceptable and quote blocks as the reason why. You get told why that’s bogus with historical comparison with Camby and Duncan and why blocks aren’t a decent metric to compare overall defense. Then you get presented with actual data as to how many shots Jakob is able to contest- but you again decide to run from the truth and just say everyone else’s standards have sunk.

Jakob is a good player. He’s not a perfect player, but he’s a good one and he’s getting better. When he plays well the spurs win basketball games. When DJ and Derrick started the game like a combined 2-20 from the field- his contributions early and throughout were a huge reason the deficit wasn’t completely insurmountable
    I didn't say Poeltl is a bad player . If your definition of "huge" game is 20/16, great. That's your opinion. I wouldn't say great because I wish Poeltl would be more tough around the rim, as he is very capable and has done with gusto in the past. Poeltl to me has a tendency to be complacent. Him coming back from the break and took him 20+ games to learn how to sink FT's is a great example. I'm hoping Poeltl will have double-doubles tonight (geez that would be something) and maybe a block or two?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason he had to score so much is because everyone else was a non factor on offense.
    That’s going to happen a lot with this team. We have no real #1 in the youth and bc they are young they are going to have off games quite a bit as they adjust to defenses being geared to stopping only them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will be the first to admit that I have been critical of Poodle but I have to give him credit he played a very GOOD game the other night against the Bulls. His defense was very good and he was looking for the ball on the offensive side I like that and hope he continues to be a little more aggressive. Sometimes you have to call your own players out and let them know that they gotta feed ya to and reward your defense with some easy roll to the basket dunks.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a combination of traits from Oberto and Splitter, so I understand why the Spurs took him in the "most lopsided trade ever."

A lot of dumb ass trolls on here really, really under stating how impactful Poeltl has been over the last few games the team has won. He does a lot of the little things, sort of like Tim Duncan, that don't end up on the stat sheet & while anchoring an undersized defensive unit (that has climbed to 8th in DRTG).

He and Eubanks have stepped up a ton since LaMarcus essentially "quit" on the team and they've both been forced into larger roles. I love how both guys have been performing & hope they can continue to show this level of consistency & impact.

That would allow the team to allocate dollars in other pressing areas like a quality starting PF (Keldon shouldn't be a full - time PF) or a versatile, two - way combo forward (if one is even available).
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That FT% increase alongside increasing attempts is nutty. Not to mention playing almost 30MPG after some bright folks in here claimed he wouldn't ever be able to crack 20+m due to foul trouble or some

The real question, though - is this guy better than Drummond yet? lmao

Thread Information