Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calm down ducks. This isn't the thread you were hoping for.

So Fred Van Vleet just got a $85M/3+P deal. That feels to be right around the contract White will get if he had a good year next year. Should the Spurs offer that on an extension. Well here's how the deal would break down with max raises:

2021-2022 $18,973,213
    2022-2023 $20,491,071
    2023-2024 $22,008,929
    2024-2025 $23,526,787

With that, the other signings from this year (including Vassell) and assuming SA gets the 15th pick in the draft next summer, the team is just under $70 Million in salaries for 21-22. The cap for that year is locked into being between $112 Million and $119 Million, meaning SA would have about $42M to $49M in cap space.

White's hold is about $8.5 Million lower than his starting salary would be on that extension. So max, the Spurs could have about $58 Million in cap space to work with next summer. Is that extra bit worth risking White explodes and gets even more money? Is that contract too rich for a guy who's actually been pretty inconsistent over the course of his career? Can the Spurs lock him into a lower deal? Who's will watch the Mermalair?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is to much. Van fleet is quite a bit better then white. I would think his deal would be close to what Murray got. Their stats re very similar add in that White is slightly older then him and the change in market (although you cant tell by most of these deals).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, lock him up. Paying White no more than $25 mil a year will allow us to keep cap space for a max player next offseason. Not saying to pay him $25 mil, if you can negotiate lower then that's gravy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ got 64
    Brogdon got 80
    Vleet got 85

White is getting 70-80

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ got 64
    Brogdon got 80
    Vleet got 85

White is getting 70-80
    It's important to include the number of years here lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is to much. Van fleet is quite a bit better then white. I would think his deal would be close to what Murray got. Their stats re very similar add in that White is slightly older then him and the change in market (although you cant tell by most of these deals).
    FVV is not better than White, bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they don’t lock him up on an extension, he’s going to be their big FA signing next summer. He’s going to beast this year, and there are SO many teams with room, that someone is going to throw a big offer sheet at him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FVV is not better than White, bro.
    This. FVV is a younger Patty, nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Never forget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they don’t lock him up on an extension, he’s going to be their big FA signing next summer. He’s going to beast this year, and there are SO many teams with room, that someone is going to throw a big offer sheet at him.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can get him to sign for less than 4/70 I’d be happy if they do it now. I think he’d gladly take it. Won’t mess up the cap situation next summer since it’s not too much above his cap hold. If he wants more he’ll have to prove he’s worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that. And we got Patty for $35M less. FVV got a championship contract that's going to kill their flexibility down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty never averaged 18/6/2 . Im not saying fred is better then white but patty mills ing sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty never averaged 18/6/2 . Im not saying fred is better then white but patty mills ing sucks
    Their career per 36 aren't far off. Mills is a better scorer. FVV is a slightly better rebounder and a marginally better assister. Not worth $35M over 4 years more for damn sure.

Mills contract has not been bad to date,, despite the given to it on this board. This year will be an overpay based on MP however.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FVV is better than Patty, but there are roles you pay a premium for and ones you don’t. That role is one you save money on, just like center (unless you have an All NBA guy). Better to have a worse player there but cap space to spread elsewhere.

This is different than the Kawhi situation in 2014-15 when not signing him led to having the room to sign Aldridge (and drafting a guy who never would come over helped create room). They will still have room for any one FA so will be nimble enough to pursue anyone without having to salary dump. Difference between his hold and likely salary is something, but not THAT big.

I’m fine extending him now, especially if it means saving on the next contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only see him as an asset to be traded for more future assests because
    A. He is at his ceiling
    B. That ceiling isn't a player you build a franchise around.....

If the spurs can sign and trade him now for picks and an Expiring, DO IT!!!!

If they can't lets see what the market offers in the Future....
    You literally cannot sign and trade him right now.

And if you were to trade him later in the year after extending him, it’s very hard to make the numbers work because of BYC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So Fred Van Vleet just got a $85M/3+P deal. That feels to be right around the contract White will get if he had a good year next year. Should the Spurs offer that on an extension. Well here's how the deal would break down with max raises:

2021-2022 $18,973,213
    2022-2023 $20,491,071
    2023-2024 $22,008,929
    2024-2025 $23,526,787

With that, the other signings from this year (including Vassell) and assuming SA gets the 15th pick in the draft next summer, the team is just under $70 Million in salaries for 21-22. The cap for that year is locked into being between $112 Million and $119 Million, meaning SA would have about $42M to $49M in cap space.

White's hold is about $8.5 Million lower than his starting salary would be on that extension. So max, the Spurs could have about $58 Million in cap space to work with next summer. Is that extra bit worth risking White explodes and gets even more money? Is that contract too rich for a guy who's actually been pretty inconsistent over the course of his career? Can the Spurs lock him into a lower deal? Who's will watch the Mermalair?
    Crofl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FVV is 10x better than Patty
    fixed, lol PER36 take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on this site would HATE FVV if he were a Spur.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, how about you say whether FVV's contract is too high, or just about right?

Second, VanVleet has consistently shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% more 3's on each season. And made higher percentage of them than White. That's a hot commodity in the New NBA. So why wouldn't White command the same money?

And third, White has been utterly mis-used, and still put up the numbers he has. FVV got to run with the ponies. With that, plus all the BRI/cap issues right now, predicting who will get paid what is more of a dart throw than a science. White gives me the impression he might agree to a reasonable contract, rather than test the waters of the open market - if he's treated right.

l.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 11-21-2020 at 05:39 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on this site would HATE FVV if he were a Spur.

I wouldn't. I called for the Spurs to sign him the moment the draft was over and his name hadn't been called. I wouldn't want him at an unreasonable price. But I sure as wouldn't hate having him on this roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need me a white watch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always appreciate a dig at that pedo racist ducks.

Thread Information