Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BOS gets: LMA + Lyles
    CHA gets: Hayward
    SA gets: Batum + 1st
    Presumably the 1st comes from BOS, because CHA has no reason to include one, BOS is getting an upgrade, and BOS has picks to spare?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s really unfortunate is who the Celtics drafted this year. I’d image they would be willing to trade their 26th pick to get either Aldridge or DeRozan. Sadly, they drafted Pritchard who wouldn’t be useful to the Spurs since we have so many guards. If they had drafted McDaniels or Azubuike then it would make total sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presumably the 1st comes from BOS, because CHA has no reason to include one, BOS is getting an upgrade, and BOS has picks to spare?
    I think CHA not having to stretch Batum is enough reason to cough up a pick but yeah; BOS getting lma justified that as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As talkspurs alluded to, there's not a chance in the Hornets would trade their current second best building block for something they can accomplish without throwing away any asset.

The Celtics replaced Kanter with Thompson, who joins Theis, R. Williams and Fall (two-way) at C. They actually have more of a need at PF, where Brown will mostly have to continue to masquerade defensively, along with G. Williams and Ojeleye.

Pairing Aldridge with Thompson would mean the latter would have to defend PF's full time, which is a stretch at this point.

I could see Lamarcus part of a deal like that & DeRozan part of a Detroit deal ( they have all those centers)
    They traded Bradley to the 76ers and waived and stretched Dedmon, leaving them with Plumlee, Okafor, Stewart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope PATFO are all over this but they've probably got the beeper off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Charlotte trade Washington, their best young player who allows happens to be on a team friendly rookie contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume its Boston's 2021 first, either way, its a good deal.

-Spurs clear out frontcourt minutes; allowing them to start Poeltl and play Eubanks. Start DeRozan at the four and start Walker at the three and opens up minutes for Vassell and possibly Luka. Also gives them more breathing room under the tax. Spurs also get an extra 2021 first that could allow them to move up further into the lottery of a better draft.

-Charlotte gets their guy while not having to stretch and waive Batum.

-Boston gets an front court up grade while still staying under the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Charlotte trade Washington, their best young player who allows happens to be on a team friendly rookie contract?
    They wouldn't.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DOnt know IF Boston would like as much we could also send them DDR in the trade. This would free up our wing space. I think they would rather have LMA but DDR would not be bad for them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte or Boston are going to have to give up something to pass off Batum’s 27 million dollar contract. I guess they can waive him instead and pay more that PJ Washington’s entire contract?

It also looks like people here are overrating Washington’s value. He’s already injury prone and, unless something changes, is a good role player at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlotte or Boston are going to have to give up something to pass off Batum’s 27 million dollar contract. I guess they can waive him instead and pay more that PJ Washington’s entire contract?

It also looks like people here are overrating Washington’s value. He’s already injury prone and, unless something changes, is a good role player at best.
    Washington is actually good. Charlotte wants to get off paying Batum but they don't absolutely have to do so. So there's really no incentive for them to give up an asset. They could make Boston give up the asset to the third team, instead.

It seems the rule of thumb is for every $20 million in bad salary that a team takes on, it costs a first rounder. Technically, A first and a second would be the going rate for taking on Batum but he's an expiring so its not like he has Wiggins money remaining.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would be ideal. Im not sure BOS is too hot on taking Rozier back just to say they did a sign and trade, so a reroute of Batum to a third team could work instead if BOS feels they can get a productive player back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are spending way too much time debating deals that will never happen.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to SpursTalk! I can tell that you're new here...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ainge is participating in the S&T to acquire a TPE. Therefore your proposed trade would more likely take this shape:

CHA: Hayward, Aldridge
    SA: Batum and lottery protected Charlotte pick
    BOS: Zellers and TPE

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Washington is actually good. Charlotte wants to get off paying Batum but they don't absolutely have to do so. So there's really no incentive for them to give up an asset. They could make Boston give up the asset to the third team, instead.

It seems the rule of thumb is for every $20 million in bad salary that a team takes on, it costs a first rounder. Technically, A first and a second would be the going rate for taking on Batum but he's an expiring so its not like he has Wiggins money remaining.
    I agree he’s good. Like a said I personally believe his ceiling with Charlotte is a good role player. But his ceiling is so much higher with a better organization. If either team wants to give a lightly protected first and a second instead, that’s fine too.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ainge is participating in the S&T to acquire a TPE. Therefore your proposed trade would more likely take this shape:

I wonder if Ainge’s decision will change if he sees that Aldridge gets involved? The TPE or Aldridge?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Ainge’s decision will change if he sees that Aldridge gets involved? The TPE or Aldridge?
    Boston, for all of their rapey trades, have under achieved. Have yet to even get to a finals, let alone ring. Not sure they can sway LMA from his desire to return to Portland to finish his career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this case, it's Zeller, a TPE, and Charlotte giving up a pick, not Boston. Added together that is more valuable than Aldridge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets give up an all star for a wash up n pick that could be a bust guys. Spurs want an up n coming star at least

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this case, it's Zeller, a TPE, and Charlotte giving up a pick, not Boston. Added together that is more valuable than Aldridge.
    DPG21920 trade seems logical

SA gets: Batum + [Boston] 1st

-Spurs clear out frontcourt minutes, gives them more breathing room under the tax, and gives the Spurs an extra 2021 first that could allow them to move up further in the lottery of a better draft.

-Charlotte gets Hayward while not having to stretch and waive Batum.

-Boston gets an front court upgrade and depth while still staying under the tax. Boston would otherwise be using the TPE that they'd receive to try and get an upgrade, it can be argued that Aldridge is that upgrade at a position that they are relatively weak at.

Charlotte giving up a first or PJ Washington, as others have suggested, doesn't make sense. They don't have to do a sign and trade for Hayward, they could just waive and stretch Batum and sign Hayward without giving up an asset.

They'd prefer not to but that would require a third team. Boston wants the TPE, so they don't lose Hayward for nothing, so they'd likely be the team to give up an asset to try and compensate the third team.
    Last edited by cd021; 11-26-2020 at 04:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets give up an all star for a wash up n pick that could be a bust guys. Spurs want an up n coming star at least
    Aldridge is a former all-star who turns 36 this upcoming season and is an expiring. He certainly shouldn't be valued as such. If the Spurs can get a 21 first for him, that's a no-brainer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BOS is not in the drivers seat. They have to sweeten pot for CHA or a third team of the TPE is that important to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That doesn’t work. They could not sign Hayward then.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BOS is not in the drivers seat. They have to sweeten pot for CHA or a third team of the TPE is that important to them.
    Important for people to realize this. Charlotte can sign Hayward by just stretching Batum. Is that ideal for them? No. But it’s not unpalatable, especially if they don’t plan on trying to operate under the cap next summer.

For Boston, they risk losing Hayward for nothing. That includes no trade exception.

Spurs are in the driver’s seat if they want to move Aldridge here, as the trade would make things better for two teams. His contract and fit work perfectly for Boston. And the Spurs can eat Batum without taking on cap for next year (WAY better than taking on a Wiggins). And heck, if Batum gets resurrected to any degree, it’s a bonus.

I think the best trade looks something like this:

- Boston gets Aldridge and either Mills/Gay; immediately improve on last year’s team

- Charlotte gets Hayward without having to stretch Batum, and also gets Theis to make dollars work (unfortunately Boston doesn’t have a lot of mid-seven figure contracts)

- Spurs get Batum and a TPE (I think)

It weakens the Spurs significantly this year, so not sure they do it. Maybe they’d need to get Theis or another big in deal to replace Aldridge, or could use part of MLE on a big because no longer bumping into the tax.

Question is what is the appropriate compensation for the Spurs. A lottery-protected first doesn’t cut it. You need to start any conversation with an unprotected first. Maybe it’s Boston-Charlotte executing a pick swap, with Boston then sending that pick to the Spurs, so they effectively get the better if Boston and Charlotte’s pick. And I’d want a few seconds too.
    Last edited by cjw; 11-26-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Thread Information