Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn’t work. They could not sign Hayward then.
    I'm confident it does work. Charlotte is 20M under the cap, Batum makes 3.1M more than Aldridge, and Zeller is 15.4M outbound. Charlotte could comfortably fit both Aldridge and Hayward, if they so wanted.

This would generate a 12.5M TPE for Ainge. Sending Batum or Aldridge to Boston would not generate a TPE.
    Last edited by Excessive Egotist; 11-26-2020 at 09:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Important for people to realize this. Charlotte can sign Hayward by just stretching Batum. Is that ideal for them? No. But it’s not unpalatable, especially if they don’t plan on trying to operate under the cap next summer.

For Boston, they risk losing Hayward for nothing. That includes no trade exception.

Spurs are in the driver’s seat if they want to move Aldridge here, as the trade would make things better for two teams. His contract and fit work perfectly for Boston. And the Spurs can eat Batum without taking on cap for next year (WAY better than taking on a Wiggins). And heck, if Batum gets resurrected to any degree, it’s a bonus.

I think the best trade looks something like this:

- Boston gets Aldridge and either Mills/Gay; immediately improve on last year’s team

- Charlotte gets Hayward without having to stretch Batum, and also gets Theis to make dollars work (unfortunately Boston doesn’t have a lot of mid-seven figure contracts)

- Spurs get Batum and a TPE (I think)

It weakens the Spurs significantly this year, so not sure they do it. Maybe they’d need to get Theis or another big in deal to replace Aldridge, or could use part of MLE on a big because no longer bumping into the tax.

Question is what is the appropriate compensation for the Spurs. A lottery-protected first doesn’t cut it. You need to start any conversation with an unprotected first.

I had a similar trade in mind. Yes, the Spurs weaken significantly this season and this might not be good compensation for Aldridge/ Gay who are still very productive. But if the idea is to get something for Gay/ Aldridge, this is possibly the way out - https://tradenba.com/trades/WmfPpshVb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    these threads

X player is available so we should get him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    these threads

X player is available so we should get him
    That’s not what most people are saying. They’re saying that Batum sucks and is an impediment to Hayward signing with cap space, and Spurs actually work as a partner to facilitate a S&T, so see if they can extract assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s not what most people are saying. They’re saying that Batum sucks and is an impediment to Hayward signing with cap space, and Spurs actually work as a partner to facilitate a S&T, so see if they can extract assets.
    Let's get assets then

What are we waiting for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets give up an all star for a wash up n pick that could be a bust guys. Spurs want an up n coming star at least
    People are so focused on just moving DeRozan or Aldridge that they seem to willing to ignore their actual value.

I understand that the Spurs get nothing if they just ride out their contract and walk, but it's definitely possible to lose a trade by taking back dead weight and bad contracts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Aldridge not getting to allstar game is irrelevant cause his production hasn't dropped. His first game back from injury, n Spurs last game before covid break, he dominated Dallas n led spurs to win...think he put up 30. During this break it looks like he's working hard n slimmed ala tim duncan in his twilight

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last time everyone thought Aldridge was the problem he came back and carried a team to the playoffs that had no business of getting there. I rather ride him than do a trade just for the sake of it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Aldridge not getting to allstar game is irrelevant cause his production hasn't dropped. His first game back from injury, n Spurs last game before covid break, he dominated Dallas n led spurs to win...think he put up 30. During this break it looks like he's working hard n slimmed ala tim duncan in his twilight
    He isn't an all-star, he's a former all-star who has declined-- though much less than one might expect from a player entering his age 36 season.

He still has value but the Spurs need to move him sooner than later rather than just let him walk. Trading him in a three-team deal for an asset is better than nothing and also frees up playing time for younger players such as Poeltl, Eubanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs play things out with Aldridge and DeRozan and they end up walking, they can still grab assets in the offseason via S&T if they otherwise don’t get what they want in FA. Many teams will need signings to be facilitated as they’ll be over the cap.

I’m in the camp of trying to cash in now, and facilitating the Hayward deal makes a lot of sense to insert the Spurs into. But if they don’t, it’s not the end of the world. It’s the end of the world if you’re a team completely devoid of assets and picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last time everyone thought Aldridge was the problem he came back and carried a team to the playoffs that had no business of getting there. I rather ride him than do a trade just for the sake of it...
    He doesn't make sense with where this team is ultimately heading. He's an upcoming free agent and seems set on returning to Portland to finish out his career. Trading him makes sense because it not only frees up playing time for younger players with more of a future, but should give the Spurs a potential draft asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs play things out with Aldridge and DeRozan and they end up walking, they can still grab assets in the offseason via S&T if they otherwise don’t get what they want in FA. Many teams will need signings to be facilitated as they’ll be over the cap.

I’m in the camp of trying to cash in now, and facilitating the Hayward deal makes a lot of sense to insert the Spurs into. But if they don’t, it’s not the end of the world. It’s the end of the world if you’re a team completely devoid of assets and picks.
    There's a lot more money available in the 2021 FA class so I don't know how whether S&T's are a viable option. Unless one or both wants to join capped out contenders like LAC or LAL. Playing things out also has a potentially negative of worsening the Spurs draft pick, which is especially bad considering this upcoming draft class. Also they're limiting playing time for young prospects.

Spurs definitely should be open to moving the vets, if not now then before the deadline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes but only for someone who can also provide 20pts/game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes but only for someone who can also provide 20pts/game
    Why? You want someone else besides LMA/DDR taking shots away from our youngsters? If you can get a playable ending contract, and any first round pick, even a late one,you do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did they end up doing the ST or did Hayward just sign straight up? How much is CHA needing to shed by moving Batum?

That Charlotte 1st looks awful juicy. . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did they end up doing the ST or did Hayward just sign straight up? How much is CHA needing to shed by moving Batum?

That Charlotte 1st looks awful juicy. . .
    I don’t think Charlotte cares. They’re being polite, and trying to work with the Celtics, but Boston is the one driving this. They want the trade exception, rather than having Hayward just walk, and they would be providing the pick or picks. Not so juicy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair, but as I understand it they still have to stretch Batum (that’s like 9M for next three years). So while I think BOS is driving the discussion, CHA at least has a little skin in the game. Enough to cough up a 1st? Long shot I know.

The other option is to cut out BOS altogether. Swap Gay/LMA for Batum/Zeller/pick. CHA saves ~5M.

Edit: forgot about LMAs trade kicker. But, apparently swapping Mills and Rudy still work to achieve the desired savings for CHA
    Last edited by CGD; 11-28-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair, but as I understand it they still have to stretch Batum (that’s like 9M for next three years). So while I think BOS is driving the discussion, CHA at least has a little skin in the game. Enough to cough up a 1st? Long shot I know.

The other option is to cut out BOS altogether. Swap Gay/LMA for Batum/Zeller/pick. CHA saves ~5M.
    If we did where we got the better of ours or their pick they might agree to it but I still think they might say no. They are fine waiving batum so that is why they have so much power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Edit: forgot about LMAs trade kicker. But, apparently swapping Mills and Rudy still work to achieve the desired savings for CHA
    That defeats Charlotte’s purpose, which is to acquire Hayward.

What Charlotte and mostly Boston want is for someone to eat Batum’s contract whole into cap room, then Charlotte has the cap room to eat Hayward’s contract whole, in a trade, then Boston winds up with a HUGE TE instead of nothing. We really have no way to get into that, this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing preventing us from flat out using the taxpayer MLE to get Batum if he gets waived flat out, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing preventing us from flat out using the taxpayer MLE to get Batum if he gets waived flat out, right?
    There is. Spurs have close to the full MLE after using some of it on Jones but they're so close to the tax line they might not even be able to fit a vet min deal in. And we all know there's no way they're going to pay the tax this year.

Also Batum is washed up and he'd only take minutes from the young players. I wouldn't want him even on a min contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is. Spurs have close to the full MLE after using some of it on Jones but they're so close to the tax line they might not even be able to fit a vet min deal in. And we all know there's no way they're going to pay the tax this year.

Also Batum is washed up and he'd only take minutes from the young players. I wouldn't want him even on a min contract.
    Ok but this team still has a massive gap with no pure 3 and no combo forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but this team still has a massive gap with no pure 3 and no combo forward.
    Perhaps in quality, but not in quan y - DDR, Johnson and even Walker are getting all minutes at the 3. Gay, Lyles and small ball take care of the 4.Hopefully Samanic is ready for a role too. In any case Batum in his current shape doesn't solve this problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Batum 5 years ago. The team doesn't need him. An upgrade to the 4 we do need. But I like our team. DD is our worse defender and he isn't a cone. We gonna be fun to watch, win or lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’d take him, for the minimum, but not more, because I remember how bad Boris’s numbers were towards the end of his time in CHA. At least Batum isn’t a whale. He’d probably be more of an asset than Rudy this year, because with his very French reluctance to shoot, he wouldn’t be taking shots from our developing guards and wings, but he does a lot of other things, like distribute, defend, and rebound. In his entire career, his DBPM has only been negative once, two seasons ago, and that was -0.1.

Thread Information