Lakers
    Clippers
    Nuggets
    Rockets?
    Mavericks?
    Jazz?
    Blazers?
    Suns?
    Last edited by LurkingSpursFan; 11-21-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston is a big wild card with all the drama. I expect GS to be back in play off hunt with a healthy Curry, Green with a full season of Wiggins, Oubre, Weisman, etc. Maybe not championship caliber, but should be play off if healthy.

Even with no forbes/marco, not sure our team stacks up with those teams as built.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Nuggets
    Mavericks?
    Jazz?
    Blazers?
    Suns?
    Probably but, the suns and blazers are debatable..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers are lebron who is renting them and stipped them of assets. Nice job lebron, has nothing to do with LA

Clippers have a billionaire owner and again stripped their assets to presti for fake star paul george.

Nuggets are great, but they took awhile.

Mavs tanked hard and got lucky with a franchise player. SA did that too awhile back! works great if you get lucky.

Jzz? nah

Blazers? Cute team

Suns: sucked for forever and finally have a team to compete.If the spurs get a #1 pick and still suck i would worry.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Clearly better? Puuh. Not many teams in my book.

Tier 1

Lakers - I dont see any other Team in the West that is a good as them. At least they have to proof it before i give someone else Tier 1 status.

Tier 2

Clippers - On Paper they are strong. But they have to actually deliver. And dont mean beeing 1 or 2 in the Conference, but actually seeing them play like a Contender.
    Nuggets - I believe they will be a little better this year and seperate themselves from the pack.
    Warriors - Yes even without Klay i believe they have a good Team. I am only surprised that they have not tried to sign a Center. I know they drafted Wiseman, but he is a Rookie. Dont think he can handle the NBA Bigs just yet.

Tier 3

Dallas - They only get better. But i dont believe they are their yet to be a contender.
    Utah - Same as for Dallas, but slightly worse i believe.
    Houston - I was never high on the Rockets in the first place. Their style of play dont win Champtionships, but you have to respect Hardens ability to put this team on his back. Thats the only reason i am putting them up here.

Tier 4 - The pack, fighting for the bottom PO Seeds.

Portland - Last year was terrible, even though they managed to squeeze into the 8th seed.
    Suns - The Addition of CP 3 could be huge if he can recreate his performance with OKC. Their Bubble Play was promising.
    Pelicans - Good young core, with a potential superstar.
    Spurs - Unlike others, i believe the spurs are better than advertised. The Bubble play was very good, and it showed how the young guys with DDR can play very well together. No forbes or beli should improve the teams win total.
    Grizzlies - Overachiever last year, the bubble was brutal for them. Still, they are in the upwards trend so i dont count them out.

Tier 5

Timberwolves - No. Just no. Since the great days of Kevin Love i was waiting for something big, only to be disappointed.
    OKC - They have so many picks, they could build a wall with it. But Playerwise they have nothing to compete.
    Kings - Same as Timberwolves. Always promising and than falling short.

Summarize:

Spurs are in the hunt, but are not a lock.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because of the changes to the play-in games, Spurs really only have to get to the 10 seed, so only 5 teams they need to be better than

However, despite the lack of Forbes and Marco meaning the defense should be much better, other teams improved also

Confident the Spurs have little chance to catch these teams if there are no unforseen health challenges:

1. Lakers
    2. Clippers
    3. Phoenix
    4. Portland
    5. Utah
    6. Denver
    7. Golden State

Up in the air:

8. Houston - I know they look like they're in shambles and they moved Covington, but Wood is a huge, huge get and allows Tucker to keep fresh for the season if he isn't too washed
    9. Dallas - Porzingis already missing time, Powell missing time, Luka frequently has little nagging injuries, they might be a bad break from underachieving in a malaise of waiting for free agency
    10. Memphis - Caught everyone by surprise, but sop re slumps always loom and JJJ has had problems staying healthy
    11. Minnesota - None of their big 3 played together before, and their coach might be worse with rotations than Pop at this stage
    12. New Orleans - installing a new coach in a short preseason, with health questions around Zion, age for Red ... they might be surpassable

Only teams I'm reasonably sure will be worse:

13. Sacramento - poor roster, injured players
    14. OKC - Tank city

It'll take some breaks going the Spurs way if they're going to be in the top 10.

Maybe the Clippers fail with too much load management and losing Harrell and Jamychal ...

Maybe Denver has too much success go to their head complicated by losing Grant and Grumlee ...

Maybe Chris Paul finally falls apart ...

Spurs are probably more likely to be picking 7-11 in the lotto odds than playing a 7 game series unfortunately

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody except OKC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say they finish 13 ahead of Sacramento and okc. Maybe 12 if Minnesota plays to their usual lottery team expectations with good players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers downgraded. Chemistry issues are still there because of lack of leadership.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every year the Blazers are hyped up like crazy and are always finding themselves at around 8th to 9th seed. Fool's gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Utah is in the same boat we are, led by weak stars. Low ceiling for championship aspirations.

Difference between us and them is that we have more promising youth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because of the changes to the play-in games, Spurs really only have to get to the 10 seed, so only 5 teams they need to be better than

However, despite the lack of Forbes and Marco meaning the defense should be much better, other teams improved also

Confident the Spurs have little chance to catch these teams if there are no unforseen health challenges:

1. Lakers
    2. Clippers
    3. Phoenix
    4. Portland
    5. Utah
    6. Denver
    7. Golden State

Up in the air:

8. Houston - I know they look like they're in shambles and they moved Covington, but Wood is a huge, huge get and allows Tucker to keep fresh for the season if he isn't too washed
    9. Dallas - Porzingis already missing time, Powell missing time, Luka frequently has little nagging injuries, they might be a bad break from underachieving in a malaise of waiting for free agency
    10. Memphis - Caught everyone by surprise, but sop re slumps always loom and JJJ has had problems staying healthy
    11. Minnesota - None of their big 3 played together before, and their coach might be worse with rotations than Pop at this stage
    12. New Orleans - installing a new coach in a short preseason, with health questions around Zion, age for Red ... they might be surpassable

Only teams I'm reasonably sure will be worse:

13. Sacramento - poor roster, injured players
    14. OKC - Tank city

It'll take some breaks going the Spurs way if they're going to be in the top 10.

Maybe the Clippers fail with too much load management and losing Harrell and Jamychal ...

Maybe Denver has too much success go to their head complicated by losing Grant and Grumlee ...

Maybe Chris Paul finally falls apart ...

Spurs are probably more likely to be picking 7-11 in the lotto odds than playing a 7 game series unfortunately
    Might I interest you in a Gentleman’s bet? San Antonio will be much better this year barring injury/COVID

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Lakers - the strong got stronger.
    2. Denver - they built their team the right way. Jokic is a mega star like Duncan where he makes everything fit around him perfectly.
    3. Dallas - Luka is the other mega star. I see him carrying Dallas the same way Harden has done the past 6 or so years.
    4. Phoenix - Chris Paul is a leader who elevates the players around him as evidenced by OKC
    5. Golden State - i never want to count these guys out
    6. Spurs - Depth will carry us through the regular season
    7. Clippers - expecting a meltdown for this team to happen.
    8. Utah - Gobert and Mitc will keep the team floor as an 8th seed

9. Memphis - one of those teams with players who need to see failure first before we see them rise
    10. New Orleans - I really don't like how this team is put together, but maybe Adams will provide leadership and the team surprises me
    11. Minnesota - weak-minded star in Towns
    12. Houston - they're in shambles
    13. Sacramento - forever suck
    14. OKC - wtf are they doing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Lakers - the strong got stronger.
    2. Denver - they built their team the right way. Jokic is a mega star like Duncan where he makes everything fit around him perfectly.
    3. Dallas - Luka is the other mega star. I see him carrying Dallas the same way Harden has done the past 6 or so years.
    4. Phoenix - Chris Paul is a leader who elevates the players around him as evidenced by OKC
    5. Golden State - i never want to count these guys out
    6. Spurs - Depth will carry us through the regular season
    7. Clippers - expecting a meltdown for this team to happen.
    8. Utah - Gobert and Mitc will keep the team floor as an 8th seed

9. Memphis - one of those teams with players who need to see failure first before we see them rise
    10. New Orleans - I really don't like how this team is put together, but maybe Adams will provide leadership and the team surprises me
    11. Minnesota - weak-minded star in Towns
    12. Houston - they're in shambles
    13. Sacramento - forever suck
    14. OKC - wtf are they doing
    Where's Portland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's Portland
    Wtf youre right. Which team did i list twice??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might I interest you in a Gentleman’s bet? San Antonio will be much better this year barring injury/COVID
    no bets for me.

Feel free to quote-reply in this thread to bring it to the top for people to laugh at me if the Spurs are in the top 8

I think the Spurs will be better, there's been no bigger Bryn-Marco hater than me, I just think some other teams improved or were able to tread water enough

That being said, one thing I wasn't considering was the schedule matrix meaning the SW teams don't have to play the Pacific teams that as much as the Northwest and Pacific teams ... One less game against LAL-LAC-PHO-GS is bound to help the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's Portland
    Nevermind, no duplicate.

I would put the Blazers between Utah and Memphis. They would be fighting for that 8th seed.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf youre right. Which team did i list twice??
    There's no duplicate, just that you put the Spurs in the list and others who only had 14 teams left the Spurs out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously subject to change, but at this writing, if we're talking playoff ceiling . . .

Tier 1: Lakers, Clippers
    Tier 2: Nuggets, Mavericks
    Tier 3: Trail Blazers, Warriors, Jazz, Suns, Rockets
    Tier 4: Pelicans, Spurs, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Kings
    Tier 5: Thunder

Order within tiers not all that important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly better? Puuh. Not many teams in my book.

Tier 1

Lakers - I dont see any other Team in the West that is a good as them. At least they have to proof it before i give someone else Tier 1 status.

Tier 2

Clippers - On Paper they are strong. But they have to actually deliver. And dont mean beeing 1 or 2 in the Conference, but actually seeing them play like a Contender.
    Nuggets - I believe they will be a little better this year and seperate themselves from the pack.
    Warriors - Yes even without Klay i believe they have a good Team. I am only surprised that they have not tried to sign a Center. I know they drafted Wiseman, but he is a Rookie. Dont think he can handle the NBA Bigs just yet.

Tier 3

Dallas - They only get better. But i dont believe they are their yet to be a contender.
    Utah - Same as for Dallas, but slightly worse i believe.
    Houston - I was never high on the Rockets in the first place. Their style of play dont win Champtionships, but you have to respect Hardens ability to put this team on his back. Thats the only reason i am putting them up here.

Tier 4 - The pack, fighting for the bottom PO Seeds.

Portland - Last year was terrible, even though they managed to squeeze into the 8th seed.
    Suns - The Addition of CP 3 could be huge if he can recreate his performance with OKC. Their Bubble Play was promising.
    Pelicans - Good young core, with a potential superstar.
    Spurs - Unlike others, i believe the spurs are better than advertised. The Bubble play was very good, and it showed how the young guys with DDR can play very well together. No forbes or beli should improve the teams win total.
    Grizzlies - Overachiever last year, the bubble was brutal for them. Still, they are in the upwards trend so i dont count them out.

Tier 5

Timberwolves - No. Just no. Since the great days of Kevin Love i was waiting for something big, only to be disappointed.
    OKC - They have so many picks, they could build a wall with it. But Playerwise they have nothing to compete.
    Kings - Same as Timberwolves. Always promising and than falling short.

Summarize:

Spurs are in the hunt, but are not a lock.
    Good list, although Houston will sink like arock.

Spurs depend entirely on their 5-7 young perimeter players developing. They're close to the Miami Heat model of slamming people with dynamic attacks from multiple angles. No free agent can be acquired and none will 'fix' the issues. They'll start the season with DDR and LMA and see if trades make sense once teams survey the landscape. I doubt anyone was looking their way yet, especially with Harden and Westbrook available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good list, although Houston will sink like arock.

Spurs depend entirely on their 5-7 young perimeter players developing. They're close to the Miami Heat model of slamming people with dynamic attacks from multiple angles. No free agent can be acquired and none will 'fix' the issues. They'll start the season with DDR and LMA and see if trades make sense once teams survey the landscape. I doubt anyone was looking their way yet, especially with Harden and Westbrook available.
    You got it. I hope they watched the MJ do entary again. Seems like that had an effect on how hard they go in practice. Or maybe it was the inclusion of Keldon in those practices. Whatever it was, something changed when they did practiced in the bubble as per the interviews during that time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevermind, no duplicate.

I would put the Blazers between Utah and Memphis. They would be fighting for that 8th seed.
    Gotcha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You got it. I hope they watched the MJ do entary again. Seems like that had an effect on how hard they go in practice. Or maybe it was the inclusion of Keldon in those practices. Whatever it was, something changed when they did practiced in the bubble as per the interviews during that time.
    Right. And unlike a season ago, when we depended entirely on how well White was going to do -- and unfortunately he was down/hurt for much of the season -- we legitimately have several guys whose futures look really exciting and impactful.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easier to just identify the teams that are definitely worse than the spurs: OKC and houston (if they trade harden).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1- Clippers (again)/2-Lakers/3-Nuggets/4-Suns/5-Jazz/6-Pelicans/7-Blazers/8-Rockets/9-Warriors/10-Mavs

Thread Information