Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreeing with the folks saying it's about fit rather than talent. Aldridge won't be part of a 2022 or 2023 playoff run, so why procrastinate the inevitable? It's also about diminishing returns on his trade value-- he turns 36 this season. If you have a relatively reliable 1998 Cadillac with 195,000 miles on it, waiting for it to pass 200,000 miles won't help you out in terms of resale value. What happens if Aldridge gets injured this year? Then his trade value drops to zero and the Spurs lose him for nothing.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm not giving the guy a BJ just because he comes from my home country, as I guess you do.

And let's get your facts straight:
    1. I don't hate him.
    2. I don't think he's worth more than 7M per year given his limitations I have noted on previous reports which if you actually read, you'd know why I don't think he's worth 27M. As many others on this board have stated as well. Sorry if that bothers you.
    3. He's not ever going to be a threat from even midrange, let alone 3. How does one justify that in this era?
    4. Check your feelings of basketball knowledge superiority if you think giving away LMA is remotely justified, just to get your countryman more playing time.
    5. Again I repeat, you know .
    1 - Everything you say about him says differently. You ignore his good attributes and only critizing him. You are like Skip Bayless in regarding LeBron.
    2 - Worse Players with more limitations on the same position got around 8 mil or more. If executives all around the NBA think they are worth that money, than i believe them. Most of your analysis are not based on what Poeltl is, but on what you want him to be. Of course it would be fun to have a Center who shoots 40% from three, but its not necessary and missing the pont. Its about his place in the Rotation, what he brings to the table, not what he is lacking. Poeltl and Eubanks fit very well with the young guards.
    3 - I dont need him to be a threat from the midrange as long as he keeps his finishinig with high efficency and improves FT %, than i am satisfied. His importance lies in the Defense. Look up advanced statistics from last year. Each one of them will tell you, that with Poeltl on the Court, Spurs were overall as a Defense and Team much better. I am not telling, that Poeltl is the best Defender in the league. But with the Spurs and the Raptors before, you could see the same dynamic. The points he may not make on the offense, he saves on the Defensiv side and more.
    4. This shows me, that you are not reading what i am writing, but what you want to read. I never said, its about Poeltls playing time. Its about Fit. And LMA just does not fit with this current team. Noone is claiming that Poeltl is better than LMA. You are just bringing this up for no reason.
    5. Again I repeat, you know nothing about Team Basketball or Team Sports in general, if you believe what you were writing. Teams are winning les, because they fit together. Look at Miami, they worked they way in the Finals, cause their Team works. LMA has proven, he does not fit with the Team. You can be stubborn and still arguing that LMA is the one to build a team around, but you will be in a minority.

In Essence: Upgrade your Knowledge, its lacking on every end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 - Everything you say about him says differently. You ignore his good attributes and only critizing him. You are like Skip Bayless in regarding LeBron.
    2 - Worse Players with more limitations on the same position got around 8 mil or more. If executives all around the NBA think they are worth that money, than i believe them. Most of your analysis are not based on what Poeltl is, but on what you want him to be. Of course it would be fun to have a Center who shoots 40% from three, but its not necessary and missing the pont. Its about his place in the Rotation, what he brings to the table, not what he is lacking. Poeltl and Eubanks fit very well with the young guards.
    3 - I dont need him to be a threat from the midrange as long as he keeps his finishinig with high efficency and improves FT %, than i am satisfied. His importance lies in the Defense. Look up advanced statistics from last year. Each one of them will tell you, that with Poeltl on the Court, Spurs were overall as a Defense and Team much better. I am not telling, that Poeltl is the best Defender in the league. But with the Spurs and the Raptors before, you could see the same dynamic. The points he may not make on the offense, he saves on the Defensiv side and more.
    4. This shows me, that you are not reading what i am writing, but what you want to read. I never said, its about Poeltls playing time. Its about Fit. And LMA just does not fit with this current team. Noone is claiming that Poeltl is better than LMA. You are just bringing this up for no reason.
    5. Again I repeat, you know nothing about Team Basketball or Team Sports in general, if you believe what you were writing. Teams are winning les, because they fit together. Look at Miami, they worked they way in the Finals, cause their Team works. LMA has proven, he does not fit with the Team. You can be stubborn and still arguing that LMA is the one to build a team around, but you will be in a minority.

In Essence: Upgrade your Knowledge, its lacking on every end.
    Talk about not reading what someone wrote. I've never said the Spurs should be built around LMA, lol. Anywhere. He's about to be 36. I've just chuckled at your ridiculous postulation in the OP. You don't give away LMA. Ever. Even if Poeltl was better than him. And you really suggested just getting him off the team for next to nothing just to clear, yes, space and PT for your boy.

Your biases are clear. I have none. You know how I know that? Because I recognize that the team cannot exclusively play the way they did when LMA was the primary scoring option, playing with his back to the basket. He must and has already stretched his game to the 3 pt line. Let me know when Poeltl stretches his game beyond 6 ft. LMA plays solid defense too, it's not a case of Poeltl good on defense and LMA bad.

One last point, LMA also gives the team the ability to slow the game down and get back to the basket points when you need to do so. That's still and always will be part of the game. Poeltl has no game like that and you can't always have up-tempo offense. Thus, LMA gives you the best of all worlds and is effective in all aspects.

You're an Austrian homer trying to mask your homegrown rooting interests in Poeltl into general basketball knowledge and you're failing. It's very transparent. And that's fine, I'm not even criticizing you for that.
    Poeltl is a solid player. A solid backup or rotational player. I like him on the team, for the right price. Just recognize you made a pathetic suggestion in your OP, and I'll leave it be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s worth seeing how this healthy athletic core plays before breaking it up. On paper they should be a playoff team.

White, Murray, Quinndary
    Vassell, Lonnie, Mills
    Demar, Keldon, Luka
    Aldridge, Lyle, Gay
    Poeltl, Eubank, Bruiser big?

The small ball looks even nastier. I will run this with anybody in the league:
    White
    Vassell
    Keldon
    Demar
    Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly do people want for LMA anyway? No one is trading a cost controlled young prospect for LMA straight up. More than likely we would eat a big contract in return plus a pick, but it won't be anything great and would eat into our free space next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly do people want for LMA anyway? No one is trading a cost controlled young prospect for LMA straight up. More than likely we would eat a big contract in return plus a pick, but it won't be anything great and would eat into our free space next year
    I don't think people have any clue what they want. They're just children who want the pretty magic trick to make a bunny appear so they can clap and feel happy with themselves again. They're like cargo cultists -- just make the plane come and then they get crates of tinned food to eat. They don't actually think about anything, it's just grunt emotional response.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is in here saying how great Poetl is yet won’t say wtf we are supposed to do the other 31 ing minutes he doesn’t play. His advanced stats are great! And? Dude is a bench player. Advance stats by definition can’t be compared to a starter. You can’t just say he will be the same player at 30 minutes a game

We might not have a clue how to play “team basketball” but we all know that Poetl is a foul prone big man with absolutely no offensive game that hasn’t ever played 20 minutes per game in a season in his entire career and yet he is somehow worth 9 million?

Hes a better fit than LMA tho... um not. Dude was in foul trouble in 6 outta the 8 games in the bubble. He doesn’t space the floor and isn’t really a strong finisher. He shoots a high percentage but that doesn’t mean when you average 5 points a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is in here saying how great Poetl is yet won’t say wtf we are supposed to do the other 31 ing minutes he doesn’t play. His advanced stats are great! And? Dude is a bench player. Advance stats by definition can’t be compared to a starter. You can’t just say he will be the same player at 30 minutes a game

We might not have a clue how to play “team basketball” but we all know that Poetl is a foul prone big man with absolutely no offensive game that hasn’t ever played 20 minutes per game in a season in his entire career and yet he is somehow worth 9 million?

Hes a better fit than LMA tho... um not. Dude was in foul trouble in 6 outta the 8 games in the bubble. He doesn’t space the floor and isn’t really a strong finisher. He shoots a high percentage but that doesn’t mean when you average 5 points a game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no reason to trade Aldridge until we have another star big. DeRozan seems more likely to be traded especially if the young guards continue to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So he's got one year to fix it before he's exposed as a starter, here's to hope.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s worth seeing how this healthy athletic core plays before breaking it up. On paper they should be a playoff team.

White, Murray, Quinndary
    Vassell, Lonnie, Mills
    Demar, Keldon, Luka
    Aldridge, Lyle, Gay
    Poeltl, Eubank, Bruiser big?

The small ball looks even nastier. I will run this with anybody in the league:
    White
    Vassell
    Keldon
    Demar
    Aldridge
    You can’t possibly believe vassell will start

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't trade LA for the same reason the spurs shouldn't have traded kawhi: let an injured player recover and show everyone what they have.
    My god...how do people still not know why we traded Kawhi?

HE DIDNT WANT TO PLAY FOR US ANYMORE....WE DIDNT WANT TO LOSE HIM, WE HAD NO CHOICE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t possibly believe vassell will start
    Kawhi did. Vassell is more NBA ready than Kawhi was.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Man, you need to chill. As so often the truth is in the middle. Poeltl definitely isn‘t the player his fans (including me) want him to be. But he also isn‘t the bust you‘re describing. Poeltl is a high-end backup, low-end starter at the moment, whose market price apparently is 9 mill per. That’s no fantasy number, that‘s his worth for the Spurs. You might have another opinion, but that‘s the fact.

We all know his deficits (free throw %, shooting), but you should also take into account, what he does well. Spurs defense without him was a mess the whole season. Yes, I know, Bryn Forbes is gone now and also Marco, but everytime Jakob left the floor in the bubble, things have gone south. Yes, he got a lot of fouls, but let‘s be real. He got a lot of terrible whistles. Fouls were no problem for him before the bubble btw. Is he soft, because he didn‘t dunk the damn ball in the Philly game? Perhaps, but I don‘t think so. Watch his hard screens. And don‘t forget that he had a knee injury right before the bubble.

Is he a starter at the current state? Perhaps. He fits well with what the Spurs did in the bubble, but he definitely can‘t close games, as long as he doesn‘t improve his free throw shooting %. And he could have problems playing more than 30 minutes if he can‘t stay out of foul trouble. But I can see that improving with better defenders playing in front of him.

Yes, he has his deficits. But I hate people argueing that he has no worth for this team. That‘s dumb. 9 Mill is a fair price for both parties.

And for the topic of this thread: It would be dumb not the trade LMA. Not because he‘s a bad player - he‘s not - but he is a 35 year old player in his last contract year. If they don‘t want to extend him, they have to trade him for an asset without taking back a bad contract. And if I had the choice, I would trade him now. Not because of Jakobs playing time, but for losing this season. It makes no sense to fight for a playoff spot. Lose as much as you can, give the young guys the playing time and draft top3 next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 Players with the Highest On-Off Increase in Pace
    Player Team Proportion of Time on Court Team Pace (overall) Team Pace (with player) Team Pace (without player Difference (with vs. without player)
    Russell Westbrook HOU 59% 104.0 107.3 99.3 8.0
    Kent Bazemore SAC 48% 99.6 102.8 96.6 6.2
    Justin Holiday IND 52% 99.4 102.4 96.2 6.1
    Lou Williams LAC 54% 102.2 105.0 98.9 6.1
    Patty Mills SAS 43% 101.1 104.3 98.8 5.5
    Trae Young ATL 65% 103.3 105.2 99.7 5.4
    Rudy Gay SAS 42% 101.1 104.2 98.9 5.3
    Montrezl Harrell LAC 50% 102.2 104.7 99.6 5.2
    Mason Plumlee DEN 30% 97.6 101.3 96.1 5.2
    Jaxson Hayes NOP 31% 103.9 107.4 102.3 5.1
    Kevin Knox II NYK 36% 99.1 102.3 97.3 5.0
    Top 10 Players with the Highest On-Off Decrease in Pace
    Player Team Proportion of Time on Conrt Team Pace (overall) Team Pace (with player) Team Pace (without player Difference (with vs. without player)
    Bryn Forbes SAS 46% 101.1 100.4 101.8 -1.4
    Richaun Holmes SAC 36% 99.6 98.7 100.1 -1.4
    Ivica Zubac LAC 38% 102.2 101.1 102.8 -1.6
    Myles Turner IND 52% 99.4 98.5 100.4 -1.9
    P.J. Tucker HOU 71% 104.0 103.5 105.4 -2.0
    Nikola Jokic DEN 66% 97.6 96.9 99.1 -2.2
    LaMarcus Aldridge SAS 51% 101.1 99.8 102.5 -2.7
    Dwight Howard LAL 38% 101.2 99.5 102.2 -2.7
    Kawhi Leonard LAC 53% 102.2 100.5 104.0 -3.5
    James Harden HOU 71% 104.0 103.0 106.5 -3.5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, you need to chill. As so often the truth is in the middle. Poeltl definitely isn‘t the player his fans (including me) want him to be. But he also isn‘t the bust you‘re describing. Poeltl is a high-end backup, low-end starter at the moment, whose market price apparently is 9 mill per. That’s no fantasy number, that‘s his worth for the Spurs. You might have another opinion, but that‘s the fact.

We all know his deficits (free throw %, shooting), but you should also take into account, what he does well. Spurs defense without him was a mess the whole season. Yes, I know, Bryn Forbes is gone now and also Marco, but everytime Jakob left the floor in the bubble, things have gone south. Yes, he got a lot of fouls, but let‘s be real. He got a lot of terrible whistles. Fouls were no problem for him before the bubble btw. Is he soft, because he didn‘t dunk the damn ball in the Philly game? Perhaps, but I don‘t think so. Watch his hard screens. And don‘t forget that he had a knee injury right before the bubble.

Is he a starter at the current state? Perhaps. He fits well with what the Spurs did in the bubble, but he definitely can‘t close games, as long as he doesn‘t improve his free throw shooting %. And he could have problems playing more than 30 minutes if he can‘t stay out of foul trouble. But I can see that improving with better defenders playing in front of him.

Yes, he has his deficits. But I hate people argueing that he has no worth for this team. That‘s dumb. 9 Mill is a fair price for both parties.

And for the topic of this thread: It would be dumb not the trade LMA. Not because he‘s a bad player - he‘s not - but he is a 35 year old player in his last contract year. If they don‘t want to extend him, they have to trade him for an asset without taking back a bad contract. And if I had the choice, I would trade him now. Not because of Jakobs playing time, but for losing this season. It makes no sense to fight for a playoff spot. Lose as much as you can, give the young guys the playing time and draft top3 next year.
    Totally missed the point of my post. It isn’t that Jakob has no value. It’s that he can’t replace LMA. Dude was in here saying we need to trade LMA bc he’s a poor fit and start Jakob instead. For all the positives that Jakob brings, and he does bring positives, he is a bench player. He has NEVER played 20 minutes a game in his career, and he was a top 10 pick! Our defense is better with Jakob, but we still have the other 31 minutes to deal with when he doesn’t play. That’s my point on value. If Jakob could be a 30-35 minute guy like LMA, he would’ve already been one by now. He’s been on two teams now and both have agreed that he isn’t that guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally missed the point of my post. It isn’t that Jakob has no value. It’s that he can’t replace LMA. Dude was in here saying we need to trade LMA bc he’s a poor fit and start Jakob instead. For all the positives that Jakob brings, and he does bring positives, he is a bench player. He has NEVER played 20 minutes a game in his career, and he was a top 10 pick! Our defense is better with Jakob, but we still have the other 31 minutes to deal with when he doesn’t play. That’s my point on value. If Jakob could be a 30-35 minute guy like LMA, he would’ve already been one by now. He’s been on two teams now and both have agreed that he isn’t that guy.
    He didn‘t show LMAs scoring so far and can’t (and will never) replace his spacing (if LMA continues to shoot 3s). That‘s correct. But there‘s a chance that Jakob could average a double-double if he was used more in the pick‘n‘roll. His efficiency near the basket is great. That wasn‘t his role so far, but that’s also on the guards.

As we saw in the bubble, a single player on the Spurs can‘t replace LMAs scoring, but as a team they could. More players got more shots and made it. That‘s not a bad thing. But what the Spurs would miss without LMA & Demar is the guy who makes the shot in crunch time. There‘s no young Spurs who can fill this role. Not now.

As I wrote before, I think Poeltl can play more minutes if he stays out of foul trouble and improves at least his free throw shooting. I’m not totally convinced that he necessarily needs a midrange game (although it wouldn‘t hurt) Staying out of foul trouble unfortunately is a big if after the bubble. All in all his future might be a borderline starter. A guy who gives you great value from the bench and you can rely on if your starting C is injured. Although I hope for more ;-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Finally a reasonable take from one of you two. Still Spurs shouldn't have pursued him past 7M or 8M. But they gave him 9M so I'm gonna forget about that now and root him on now that he's still a Spur. GSG.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally a reasonable take from one of you two. Still Spurs shouldn't have pursued him past 7M or 8M. But they gave him 9M so I'm gonna forget about that now and root him on now that he's still a Spur. GSG.
    We gonna fight for our single NBA player till the end. There‘s nobody else we could root for ;-) So if people stop hating and start reasonable discussions, you can get more reasonable takes from me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PS: If the Spurs can pay close to 7 million for Carroll for not playing, they should also have the 1-2 mill more for Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the plan right now should be to play a fast pace game and have LMA out there running, decreasing his minutes a little and give those to Poeltl to where they split them something like 28/20 minutes. It also really depends on line ups. Pop could sub LMA out at 6 min and bring in Jakob, then have LMA out there playing slower with the bench when he comes back in. Maybe that'll work

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that is reasonable as LMA is not a spring Chicken he will appreciate maybe playing very little on say back to backs or no more then 28 minutes a games. As far as Poodle I just had to stop looking at him as our future starting Center but more as a very good backup. After that I felt much better with the signing as if we ever want to win another Championship we need to have a very good second unit.

As far as Poodle I agree with Shakril on some of his past comments and would probably add that he gets a lot of ticky tack fouls that should not be called. I wish he would be more vocal as far as voicing his opinion when they are called - see Green. But yeah I know Pop won’t tolerate that which brings it on him to stick up for his players which I don’t think he really does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that is reasonable as LMA is not a spring Chicken he will appreciate maybe playing very little on say back to backs or no more then 28 minutes a games. As far as Poodle I just had to stop looking at him as our future starting Center but more as a very good backup. After that I felt much better with the signing as if we ever want to win another Championship we need to have a very good second unit.

As far as Poodle I agree with Shakril on some of his past comments and would probably add that he gets a lot of ticky tack fouls that should not be called. I wish he would be more vocal as far as voicing his opinion when they are called - see Green. But yeah I know Pop won’t tolerate that which brings it on him to stick up for his players which I don’t think he really does.
    Yup. Poetl is a great backup center. Is $9m a little high? Maybe but we are used to paying players lots of money to sit the bench. Mills, gay, Carroll, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information