Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar should go first.
    This, I wouldn't trade LMA at all but Demar on the other hand I would be happy to accommodate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Homer. LMA blocking your boy from PT?

You know who doesn't "fit?" An NBA player that can't hit beyond 6 feet from the basket. It's ing 2020. Tell ya boy to start working on his free throws. You know who hits more than 50% of them? LMA for starters. Then the rest of the team and the league, save like 7 others.

Sorry, LMA is undeniably the better player, from top to bottom, offensively and defensively, taken as a whole.

Lol@ giving away LMA. He's a ing HOF possibility and still producing at a high level and you want to give him away?

The outta here.
    While I agree we shouldn't give him away and the OP shouldn't have said "I don't care what we get in return" I do think it's time to move on. We aren't winning it this year and the PO streak is broken. We need to make him the focal point for a few weeks, get a couple double doubles under his belt then find a team out west who wants a scoring big to defend against AD. He's gone after this season so holding onto him as a legacy and not getting anything in return is just nonsensical because at best he plays his heart out and the only thing we will get in return is the 8th seed and pick 16 in the draft while we watch him go sign with Portland in the off season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i used to defend the out of aldridge, but last season he was too soft, content to suck, and with his age and injury history i think its time to move on and embrace the youth movement and get something for him before he flames out. has nothing to do with poetl, and though his pace/ fit are issues the main one for me is at ude, i just dont see any fire left in him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://tradenba.com/trades/ezonC121k

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's strange.
    Chris Paul is 35. Everyone says he is still good. LeBron James is 35 and everyone says he shows no signs of slowing down too much.
    We got Aldridge at age 35 and he plays exactly the way that Pop requires him to.
    Him and DeRozan weren't brought in to be the replacements for ALL-NBA Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard.
    However, if the chemistry is right, they only have to approximate the roles those players had in 2014.
    So, in essence, TD in 2014 averaged 15.1 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 3.0 APG, .6 SPG and 2.3 BPG.
    Kawhi in 2014 averaged 12.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.0 APG, 1.7 SPG, and .8 BPG
    Combine those totals: 27.9 PPG, 15.9 RPG, 5.0 APG, 2.3 SPG, and 3.1 BPG

Last season LMA averaged 18.9 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 2.4 APG, .7 SPG, and 1.6 BPG.
    DeRozan averaged 22.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 5.6 APG, 1.0 SPG and .3 BPG.
    Combine those totals: 41.0 PPG, 12.9 RPG, 8.0 APG, 1.7 SPG, and 1.9 BPG

These 2 Spurs aren't the issue. For the Spurs to get better, the young guys, including Poeltl have to get better. I agree that the defense should be much improved with both Belinelli and Forbes no longer on the court. The team has lot of youth, length, varying levels of athleticism,
    and now, they actually have some experience.

I actually see a path to where they both stay, on perhaps 2+1 deals but at Team Friendly contracts. As those young guys get better, re-balance the loads, and let's get back to The Beautiful Game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since LMA is still the only top free agent who wanted to play here, he deserves to request a trade but not to be traded according to PATFO initiative. He has been our best player for 3-4 seasons and should be respected at his decline. I wish he would retire as a spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's strange.
    Chris Paul is 35. Everyone says he is still good. LeBron James is 35 and everyone says he shows no signs of slowing down too much.
    We got Aldridge at age 35 and he plays exactly the way that Pop requires him to.
    Him and DeRozan weren't brought in to be the replacements for ALL-NBA Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard.
    However, if the chemistry is right, they only have to approximate the roles those players had in 2014.
    So, in essence, TD in 2014 averaged 15.1 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 3.0 APG, .6 SPG and 2.3 BPG.

These 2 Spurs aren't the issue. For the Spurs to get better, the young guys, including Poeltl have to get better. I agree that the defense should be much improved with both Belinelli and Forbes no longer on the court. The team has lot of youth, length, varying levels of athleticism,

I actually see a path to where they both stay, on perhaps 2+1 deals but at Team Friendly contracts. As those young guys get better, re-balance the loads, and let's get back to The Beautiful Game.
    the thing is Duncan and nephew were 2 of the best defenders ever. Aldridge and DeRozan don't come close to that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what you mean, but if the expectation was that these players also become ALL-NBA Defenders, then you know going in that this is not the case. BUT YET, they were brought in to play meaningful defined roles. And they are playing them exactly as Pop defines.

It's bad logic to think that you're using them to replace the very best version of former Spurs.

I laid out the stats and offensively, the Spurs have gained more on points and given up some on defense. But this team is heavily reliant on read and re-cover defending and well...both Marco and Bryn weren't good at that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is in here saying how great Poetl is yet won’t say wtf we are supposed to do the other 31 ing minutes he doesn’t play. His advanced stats are great! And? Dude is a bench player. Advance stats by definition can’t be compared to a starter. You can’t just say he will be the same player at 30 minutes a game

We might not have a clue how to play “team basketball” but we all know that Poetl is a foul prone big man with absolutely no offensive game that hasn’t ever played 20 minutes per game in a season in his entire career and yet he is somehow worth 9 million?

Hes a better fit than LMA tho... um not. Dude was in foul trouble in 6 outta the 8 games in the bubble. He doesn’t space the floor and isn’t really a strong finisher. He shoots a high percentage but that doesn’t mean when you average 5 points a game.
    ouch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what you mean, but if the expectation was that these players also become ALL-NBA Defenders, then you know going in that this is not the case. BUT YET, they were brought in to play meaningful defined roles. And they are playing them exactly as Pop defines.

It's bad logic to think that you're using them to replace the very best version of former Spurs.

I laid out the stats and offensively, the Spurs have gained more on points and given up some on defense. But this team is heavily reliant on read and re-cover defending and well...both Marco and Bryn weren't good at that.
    I get what you are saying. I been saying the Spurs should put together a roster with no defensive holes at all ever since the Warriors emerged, but somehow Pop's pets were always shooters who can't guard anybody. Glad to finally see a roster full of defenders. That's how they can maximize DeRozan and Aldridge. Players like White, Murray, Johnson, Lyles and Walker hitting 3s consistently will be key this season.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since LMA is still the only top free agent who wanted to play here, he deserves to request a trade but not to be traded according to PATFO initiative. He has been our best player for 3-4 seasons and should be respected at his decline. I wish he would retire as a spur.
    Exactly right.. spurs will leave it up to Lamarcus. Part of the reason for coming here was to be closer to his son. Spurs wont overlook this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you are saying. I been saying the Spurs should put together a roster with no defensive holes at all ever since the Warriors emerged, but somehow Pop's pets were always shooters who can't guard anybody. Glad to finally see a roster full of defenders. That's how they can maximize DeRozan and Aldridge. Players like White, Murray, Johnson, Lyles and Walker hitting 3s consistently will be key this season.
    I agree. That defense the Warriors employ is similar to the one that Pop used when he had Top 5 Defenses all those years in a row.
    I look at it like this:
    1-2 Dejounte Murray 6-4 w/7-0 wingspan 180 lbs
    1-2 Tre Jones 6-2.5 w/6-4 wingspan 190 lbs
    2-1 Patty Mills 6-0.5 w/6-1 wingspan 175 lbs
    2-1 Derrick White 6-5 w/6-9 wingspan 195 lbs
    3-2 Keldon Johnson 6-6 w/ 6-10 wingspan 220 lbs
    2-3 Lonnie Walker IV 6-4.5 w/ 6-10 wingspan 205 lbs
    2-3 DeMar DeRozan 6-7 w/6-10 wingspan 220 lbs
    2-3 Devin Vassell 6-7 w/6-10 wingspan 195 lbs
    4-5 Trey Lyles 6-10 w 7-3.5 wingspan 240 lbs
    4-5 Luka Samanic 6-11 w/ 6-11 wingspan 230 lbs
    5-4 Jakob Poeltl 7-1 w/7-2 wingspan 245 lbs
    5-4 Drew Eubanks 6-10 w/6-11 wingspan 245 lbs
    4-3 Rudy Gay 6-9 w/ 7-4 wingspan 230 lbs
    4-5 LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11 w/7-5 wingspan 250 lbs

That's a lot of length to throw out. If they can read and react and make the adjustments on a string, I see a marked improvement for the team's rankings defensively.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a huge fan of taking on those contacts but I think we would have the better and of that deal with Wiseman and the 21 pick. No way they would ever agree to that.

But I do think you're on the right track trading away both DDR and LA to get assets in the 21 draft.

Every sign points to this draft being STACKED and we should be looking for extra picks. I would even settle for two late first rounders from contenders looking for a little extra fire power. We could use two late first rounders and try to move up.

Without DDR or LA we give our young guys lots of run but undoubtedly end up in the lottery again. That would give us a lottery pick and two late first rounders. We could use all three or use them to move you and find our next franchise player.

People on here talking about holding onto them make zero sense. Why on earth would we hold onto two aging former all stars who both believe they deserve more money than they do? It makes sense if you have an up and coming all star currently on the roster who you are surrounding with aging talent in hopes to make a big push (like the 13, 14 roster).

But let's play out this scenario for those who want to hold onto them:

We end the season around the 8-10 range. DDR has eaten tons of minutes that could have been used to develop the young guys. IF we make the playoffs we're first round fodder for the Lakers. At the end of the season LA signs a legacy contact with Portland to finish his career there. DDR finds a desperate team in free agency that signs him to way more than he's worth. The spurs end up without either of them, our young guys development has been stunted AND we only have one late lottery pick to show for it.

If we trade them away, however, we can try and get two late first rounders from contenders. Our young guys get lots of run. We tank the season and end up in the single digits of the lottery with two additional picks which we can use to find our future cornerstone.

I know which one I prefer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's strange.

This... I agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the alternative road, but Imho this trade has no chance to be accepted by g. s.... I proposed an alternative trade with gay instead of mills and no 21 draft pick... That has a chance to work for both teams. But it's a big risk anyway considering K. T. surgery (also if it's reported has been successful) and the big unknown of Wiseman! But considering age and style of gay, LMA and DDR we can agree that they have at least a 2 years window to play at high play off level... That could entice G. S. To take the deal because Imho there is no way K. T. Will be ready to play at a decent level before at least 1 year and an half...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For better comprehension of what is Imho G. S. situation. Curry is finally rested and probably is gonna play one of his best seasons... But not with klay. Klay injury is the same of Wall and Gay... In this meaning that, for being back at good level, both surgery and rehab must go perfectly and for this to go well you need at least two years. In 2 years curry becomes simply too old to be considered a reliable first option for 35 minutes anymore. For him and D. Green (the other foundation of their team) if there is a chance to compete in play offs is in the next 2 years, do, necessarily, without k. T. As a key component of the team. Gay, DDR and LMA fit all 3 the goal of a win now team for at least next year and maybe one more. Wiggins and Wiseman do not, at all... K. T. simply can't. The plus for them is our 3 knows them for playing several seasons together, so not a lot of chemistry issues at least between them, plus they are, all in all, good characters and all in, for as much is possible, contract years... So you know they are gonna give you all next year at least. In this I see a big incentive for GS to make such a trade and, for chemistry reasons, to make it as soon as possible...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the alternative road, but Imho this trade has no chance to be accepted by g. s.... I proposed an alternative trade with gay instead of mills and no 21 draft pick... That has a chance to work for both teams. But it's a big risk anyway considering K. T. surgery (also if it's reported has been successful) and the big unknown of Wiseman! But considering age and style of gay, LMA and DDR we can agree that they have at least a 2 years window to play at high play off level... That could entice G. S. To take the deal because Imho there is no way K. T. Will be ready to play at a decent level before at least 1 year and an half...
    For better comprehension of what is Imho G. S. situation. Curry is finally rested and probably is gonna play one of his best seasons... But not with klay. Klay injury is the same of Wall and Gay... In this meaning that, for being back at good level, both surgery and rehab must go perfectly and for this to go well you need at least two years. In 2 years curry becomes simply too old to be considered a reliable first option for 35 minutes anymore. For him and D. Green (the other foundation of their team) if there is a chance to compete in play offs is in the next 2 years, do, necessarily, without k. T. As a key component of the team. Gay, DDR and LMA fit all 3 the goal of a win now team for at least next year and maybe one more. Wiggins and Wiseman do not, at all... K. T. simply can't. The plus for them is our 3 knows them for playing several seasons together, so not a lot of chemistry issues at least between them, plus they are, all in all, good characters and all in, for as much is possible, contract years... So you know they are gonna give you all next year at least. In this I see a big incentive for GS to make such a trade and, for chemistry reasons, to make it as soon as possible...
    All of this makes perfect sense!! I was really hoping that we could have gotten this deal done on draft day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of this makes perfect sense!! I was really hoping that we could have gotten this deal done on draft day.
    How does they make sense we are gonna lock $70M on a poison pill, a unknown and an unavailable player for next 2 yrs? If KT lost his speed and drop in 3 pt ability which is very possible base on his last 2 injuries we will be paying a backup for $30+M for a further 2 years. Woah and people are ing about $9M for Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does they make sense we are gonna lock $70M on a poison pill, a unknown and an unavailable player for next 2 yrs? If KT lost his speed and drop in 3 pt ability which is very possible base on his last 2 injuries we will be paying a backup for $30+M for a further 2 years. Woah and people are ing about $9M for Poeltl.
    Paying that much for a player who is coming off of injury, is a lot when your team, based on majority ownership net worth, is the 2nd poorest. The poorest is the sister of the late Paul Allen, her personal net worth is rather pedestrian, but she controls a 10B empire. Mr. Holt has an estimated Networth of 200M. That's a fair chunk of change in Texas, but the richest owner in the NBA, Steve Ballmer, has a net worth of 72B. That's approaching double of the 2nd richest owner, Dan Gilbert who is at 44M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl/Eubanks are just fine as starting and backup centers in the NBA. But having a center that can shoot 3's is a positive. I wonder if one of those two can every develop that shot. Probably not very likely.

Thread Information