Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC has acquired Draft picks as far ahead as 2025 and 2026! , I'd be fine with moving DeRozan to a compe ive team come trade deadline time for a decent package of a role player, an expiring, and a first round pick five years from now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be great. I am not as confident. I doubt anyone was game planning Keldon. It’s different when the opponent is planning for you. We will see.
    I hope you are right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starters should be on point; our bench killed us last year. I think it will be strength this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its hard for me to see how cap space is so valuable next summer. So many teams have it that most teams won't need to offer picks to shed contracts and we usually don't get star type FA's. Also, with so many teams having so much space that's a recipe to franchises to cripple themselves by overpaying for the mediocre FA's.
    The value on 2021 cap space is actually on the rise. A) COVID-19 flatlined the cap, so many teams who thought they were going to have room won't actually have much room. B) Multiple teams are unexpectedly blowing their space this summer. C) More teams are going into the lux tax than most predicted, which could result in quite a few teams looking to scale back next summer as contracts continue to rise while the threshold stays flat.

The Spurs obviously won't sign Giannis or any other superstar. But I want the Spurs to have avenues to get better before their youth graduate to the point that getting better is really difficult. Apparently, that's asking too much, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The value on 2021 cap space is actually on the rise. A) COVID-19 flatlined the cap, so many teams who thought they were going to have room won't actually have much room. B) Multiple teams are unexpectedly blowing their space this summer. C) More teams are going into the lux tax than most predicted, which could result in quite a few teams looking to scale back next summer as contracts continue to rise while the threshold stays flat.

The Spurs obviously won't sign Giannis or any other superstar. But I want the Spurs to have avenues to get better before their youth graduate to the point that getting better is really difficult. Apparently, that's asking too much, though.
    Thanks. That's interesting... I'll look at the space teams have after we finish this short FA timeline and I may have to re-evaluate... The data i looked at showed huge cap space numbers next summer for about half the league. If that number has shrunk considerably it would move things towards your view...i.e. cap space growing in value..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was already scoring in the 20's while not being featured in the offense, barely any plays run for him towards the end of last season. With ease.
    I hope you’re right. There will be more mouths to feed now and hope he is given a chance to attack the same way as we saw at the end of last season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the big question on future capspace is:

Are RC and Brian Wright, or perhaps just Brian Wright, the kind of Front Office that will

A. Use capspace to sign 1 year deals &/or take on bad salary for first round picks ?

OR

B. Sign 30+ year old players to $30+ million a year deals like Charlotte did with Hayward?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Covid is another interesting angle that I'm not seeing discussed too much. With next season outside of the bubble & having a start date that coincides with a huge predicted second wave headed towards peaking, it's hard to say what could happen to the NBA season if there are bigger outbreaks among players. With the added difficulties of travel and players not in lockdown, it's not out of the question that the season could be halted or cancelled at some point, which would bring on a whole new slew of financial questions for the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the added difficulties of travel and players not in lockdown, it's not out of the question that the season could be halted or cancelled at some point, which would bring on a whole new slew of financial questions for the league.
    Yet another reason to horde cap space. In a doomsday scenario, the Spurs would be sitting even prettier by having more cap space than every team outside of the dumpster fire Knicks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think the upcoming seasons will only last a couple of weeks before being shut down and then will see another bubble playoff. So I am really hoping we start off slow so we can get a better pick in the next draft. I also think LMA may decide not to play this season due to his heart issues and will wait until he can get a vaccine shot before he plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't value the potential cap space as much as others but I imagine if they get their FA targets to sign it won't be too difficult to clear enough room to do it by trading Poeltl or someone else into cap space for nothing like they did with Splitter. With a lot of teams having cap room Poeltl's value would be at least neutral. Likewise for Murray. I find this scenario highly unlikely though. And certainly don't want them to target players like Galo or Hayward at the cost they'd command.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This is a very good Deal for the Spurs. Poeltl could have made 10mil/per year on other Teams. But Poeltl actually wanted to be in San Antonio, just not for 5 Mil/year (qualifying offer).

Poeltl is one of those Players, whose impact you dont see in the Stats. And because he is not a flashy Player, his contributions are going unnoticed.

His Defense alone makes him a perfect fit with the young Guards from the spurs.

What he needs now is playing time, and i believe that the Spurs gave him assurances that he will get it.

He is only 25 years of old. So he still will get better than he already is.

Two things i would like to see this year: FT % up to 70 (or at least a clear improvement) and get his Foul Troubles under control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a very good Deal for the Spurs. Poeltl could have made 10mil/per year on other Teams. But Poeltl actually wanted to be in San Antonio, just not for 5 Mil/year (qualifying offer).
    did he call you to tell you that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This all seems right. I’m just disappointed that they weren’t able to move on from the LMA-Gay-DDR core this offseason to improve their chances of being in a better 2021 draft position. The idea of chasing the 8th seed/playoff gate in a Covid compromised season seems silly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. We’ve called him to tell us that. And before you ask: That’s no joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans: The Spurs aren't good and need to try to get better. What are they even doing? Do they know they're allowed to trade.

timvp: Here are various paths they could take to try to get better.

Spurs fans: Heh, that won't work. Why bother.
    Spurs fans want the team to decide on direction, or trading LMA and DDR and tanking, or trying to bring a star player and compete... No staying in between fighting for 8th seed!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...-drew-eubanks/

Also touch on the importance of salary cap space, what else the Spurs could do this summer, the likelihood of a trade, etc.
    Thanks for the article. It triggered several thoughts, but I'll limit myself to one. If New York, Atlanta, or OKC don't use all their salary space and the Spurs are really trying to maximize cap next summer, a mid season deal sending Poeltl or Murray into someone's space without taking any players back would generate a trade exception that took the Spurs to, effectively, 50-55M in space. By the end of today, this possibility will likely be gone because teams are still spending, but something like Murray to Knicks for draft compensation only would generate a trade exception as of this morning. Murray to Atlanta for draft compensation or Cam Reddish only--based on Atlanta's present payroll--would generate a 10M exception for Spurs, effectively pushing the team to 50M in projected cap space.

I'm not advocating for this, just gaming out ways to increase cap space, if this becomes a goal for the front office.

I don't see many other ways to grow the clubs projected space.

There are, of course, a lot of scenarios that would allow SA to generate exceptions by participating in trades that involve Atlanta or New York, but since the Spurs veterans are already expiring those scenarios merely create an accounting distinction without a difference.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There is such a thing like Interviews before Free Agency, were he already indicated that he wanted to stay, but under the right cir stances. Means more Minutes, bigger role and more money. The fact that he did not sign the Qualifying offer underlined that 5 Million was not enough. Players are not stupid, their agents arent either, they know what offers are out their for them. It is known that other teams were interested and were ready to pay. (Tim VP has also confirmed that). The timing of the signing was significant, 15 mins before RFA could get offer sheets.

Unlike some members of this Board, executives value Poeltl a lot. When you watch around other Teams, were Poeltl is mentioned, fans actually have a good opinion on him. So its not unreasonable to think, that Poeltl could get 10 Millions.

Of course, i could be totally wrong, and Poeltl was just money grabbing and the spurs had the best offer. But that seems rather unrealistic by everything thats out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking some comfort in the fact that the Spurs have clean paths forward, assuming they stick to a maximizing cap space strategy. One young taking a big step (Keldon, for example), the 2021 lottery (which has superstar ceilings at least six players deep), and max cap space next summer could get us to a new, young big three. Vassell is like a bonus lottery ticket wrapped into all this.

The Spurs will probably also develop one surplus young talent that they can move in a trade--DJ or Lonnie are the leading candidates--for a good return.

The West has become more compe ive and the Spurs' postseason odds are longer next season than this. Maybe we should hope for LaMarcus ball for the first 40 games to establish our draft position.

The only thing I'd like to see is Spurs take a couple swings with their final roster spot/two way contracts. Depending on how they do it, it could push the team into the tax. But worse case, they just buy Mills and/or Gay out midseason and get back under the line. I suspect the team will do that regardless (if they can't trade those players) to free up a couple G-league signings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are B- signings with a C- front office that used to be an A - and most importantly will be coached by a C- coach who used to be A+ - so no matter how good they are wont likely matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should have pursued Harry Giles.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Poeltl complaints are nonsense. Look at the going rate for even decent C's, it's still better than expected.

This is a good, youngish one, who fills a positional need and drives winning. You don't lose that because his limitations could matter on a contender, his contract is slightly higher than ideal or it cuts into '21 cap space.

If said slight difference ends up mattering (highly unlikely), it shouldn't be difficult to figure out at that point. There is no albatross on the books anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose the last chance for a trade now, is a S&T of Whiteside (to a 3rd team), LMA to Blazers & Collins to Spurs. Collins would fit well on our timeline & would be a good backup to Poeltl. LMA would give the Blazers size in the short term as a backup to Nurkic & would mean they don't have to play Kanter in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is awful at playing basketball. I'd rather just cut Aldridge than do that trade.

Thread Information