Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...-drew-eubanks/

Also touch on the importance of salary cap space, what else the Spurs could do this summer, the likelihood of a trade, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you believe the difference between having $40 mil and $50 is huge in terms of cap flexibility. How hard is it to shed that salary by trading Mills or Gay for nothing?

To me, it is only critical to have that extra ten million is if you have TWO incoming big salary players. I think a trade like that is usually unheard of. Trades are usually centered on one really good player with a big salary and filler...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What many people are missing about Poeltl are the costs of replacing him. And, no, Eubanks isn't replacing and certainly not Lyles. Poeltl is a longer term fixture than LMA and even if Aldridge plays the entire season at San Antonio -- which I don't think he will -- then next year and going forward Poeltl takes the spot and minutes semi-permanently. The front office and Poeltl seem to understand this. Nobody else here does.

In the end, again, the question is what it would cose to get a Poeltl-like player after letting Poeltl go. Plus one who doesn't mind playing in San Antonio, one of the least attractive destinations in the NBA. And the answer is ---> much more than Poeltl costs now. And with questions marks about mental fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Weatherperson take another two way contract when he was offered a qualifying offer for what was probably a minimum contract on the 18th?
    He got a two-way qualifying offer. If he accepts it, it's a two-way contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you believe the difference between having $40 mil and $50 is huge in terms of cap flexibility.
    The more cap space the better.

To me, it is only critical to have that extra ten million is if you have TWO incoming big salary players.
    Yeah, that's part of it. With players these days fond of going the superteam route, having an extra $10 million could make a big difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio is never, ever going to be a superteam destination. , even getting LMA to come, when we had Duncan and a full cupboard, was like pulling teeth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, that's part of it. With players these days fond of going the superteam route, having an extra $10 million could make a big difference.
    So something like Kawhi telling Paul George to join him in LA is something we want to be ready for. That's pie in the sky, man. It's already difficult for one star to be enamored with SA and want to come here, and you think there could be two?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to shed that salary by trading Mills or Gay for nothing?
    Mills and Gay are expiring. The only big money contracts on the books will likely be Murray, Poeltl and White if he signs an extension.

Well, then again, the Spurs could extend Aldridge, DeRozan and/or Mills and dip into that cap space even more ............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So something like Kawhi telling Paul George to join him in LA is something we want to be ready for. That's pie in the sky, man. It's already difficult for one star to be enamored with SA and want to come here, and you think there could be two?
    I mean, all it took for the Jazz was Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur to agree to link up in SLC to build a team that went to a WCF. Wouldn't exactly label that as a superteam or beyond the scope of what the Spurs could do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills and Gay are expiring. The only big money contracts on the books will likely be Murray, Poeltl and White if he signs an extension.

Well, then again, the Spurs could extend Aldridge, DeRozan and/or Mills and dip into that cap space even more ............
    I see. Well, see ya Dejounte! We gon trade you for picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Its hard for me to see how cap space is so valuable next summer. So many teams have it that most teams won't need to offer picks to shed contracts and we usually don't get star type FA's. Also, with so many teams having so much space that's a recipe to franchises to cripple themselves by overpaying for the mediocre FA's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its hard for me to see how cap space is so valuable next summer. So many teams have it that most teams won't need to offer picks to shed contracts and we usually don't get star type FA's. Also, with so many teams having so much space that's a recipe to franchises to cripple themselves by overpaying for the mediocre FA's.
    You're correct. Too many fans fall in love with cap space and I doubt the FO has illusions they'll entice the top free agents. As mentioned, even getting LMA over a ty team at the time in Phoenix was incredibly hard. What's more important is marshalling the cap to ensure they can pay the young players as they develop. See what mid-tiers are available, then press ahead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that but BRYN ing Forbes got the Minimum 1 year Offer after a year in the G leuge, and your telling me you think they are ing Spoon. WTF. I'm besides myself with the Idea they would do that to Spoon an poop gave Byrn the Minimum in 2017....
    Lol yeah, they are ing Spoon so bad. I hope he isn't reading this thread. He's decent and I want to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans: The Spurs aren't good and need to try to get better. What are they even doing? Do they know they're allowed to trade.

timvp: Here are various paths they could take to try to get better.

Spurs fans: Heh, that won't work. Why bother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's more important is marshalling the cap to ensure they can pay the young players as they develop.
    You don't need to marshal anything to do that. Bird rights will handle that task.

See what mid-tiers are available, then press ahead.
    Current youth plus mid-tiers will result in what sort of outcome in your mind? Genuinely interested.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Current youth plus mid-tiers will result in what sort of outcome in your mind? Genuinely interested.
    Compe iveness? Do you think we're going to sign Giannis? Are you ing serious? If the FO has your insane optimism, then we're completely dead in the water. Fortunately they are far more pragmatic than you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans: The Spurs aren't good and need to try to get better. What are they even doing? Do they know they're allowed to trade.

timvp: Here are various paths they could take to try to get better.

Spurs fans: Heh, that won't work. Why bother.
    In the event we are unable to use the $40 mil or $50 mil-- is there a contingency? I imagine there are risks involved with having too much cap space. Just trying to wrap my head around this. Like say, they fail to sign or trade for those players, do they then have to meet a certain cap floor and sign away random, mediocre players to bloated contracts? If my memory serves me right, several teams have done this in the past... Or maybe that was for other reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antoni...-drew-eubanks/

Also touch on the importance of salary cap space, what else the Spurs could do this summer, the likelihood of a trade, etc.
    Thanks for this detailed and well argued article. Puts the Spurs position in a good perspective. The Spurs are indeed suffering due to the mis-steps of the last couple of seasons (the nephew situation, the Carroll signing - Morris welching - Bertans leaving) and have been reduced to a situation with little wiggle room. That said, I do believe they have to take decisions for basketball reasons as well - developing their youth core which is largely a set of guards requires the ideal big man complement for them and I believe Poeltl is that important piece to add to that mix. With the cap space reducing from $50 million to $40 million being indeed a slight problem as you put it, I think I will focus on the "slight" bit as it allows for better development of the youth core in the next year.

I will not hold my breath for a trade in the offseason of one or a set of the veteran corps as your piece rightly says that is going to be difficult, but I hope this doesn't deter Pop from playing Poeltl/ Eubanks more and Aldridge less or benching Patty to a more limited role in this season till a trade opportunity opens up. One trade option could probably be with the Brooklyn Nets (come on, Sean Marks, do us a favour!) and the OKC Thunder - Aldridge/Gay to Nets for Taurean Prince and filler with Prince moved to OKC and filler to the Spurs and a draft pick from the Thunder (who gets a decent player in Prince).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compe iveness? Do you think we're going to sign Giannis? Are you ing serious? If the FO has your insane optimism, then we're completely dead in the water. Fortunately they are far more pragmatic than you are.
    Pretty hostile for a genuine question.

"Insane optimism" is an interesting choice of words. All I'm asking of the Spurs is to mind their salary cap space the same way they've been dedicated to doing just that for 20+ seasons. You think a team that could do the impossible of opening salary cap space during the middle of a dynasty could avoid simple errors like having dead money from Carroll getting in the way of salary cap space in their post-dynasty world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My biggest concern and one I brought up in another thread Re: Millsap resigning in Denver.
    I never will root for the Spurs to lose or fail. But man if moderate success leads to that as a potential outcome?
    Getting out the Ouija board as we speak...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My biggest concern and one I brought up in another thread Re: Millsap resigning in Denver.
    I never will root for the Spurs to lose or fail. But man if moderate success leads to that as a potential outcome?
    Getting out the Ouija board as we speak...
    If moderate success was led by the usual suspects, DeMar and LMA, then I agree with you.

If that moderate success is led by the young guns, White and Keldon and whoever, then I say go for it and extend them at a reasonable price and be prepared to give Keldon a max. I'm talking as if he's averaging 25+ ppg next season. At that point, we basically found a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be great and incredibly unexpected if Keldon averages 25 or close to it next season.
    It would be cool if he did though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be great and incredibly unexpected if Keldon averages 25 or close to it next season.
    It would be cool if he did though
    He was already scoring in the 20's while not being featured in the offense, barely any plays run for him towards the end of last season. With ease.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the event we are unable to use the $40 mil or $50 mil-- is there a contingency? I imagine there are risks involved with having too much cap space. Just trying to wrap my head around this. Like say, they fail to sign or trade for those players, do they then have to meet a certain cap floor and sign away random, mediocre players to bloated contracts? If my memory serves me right, several teams have done this in the past... Or maybe that was for other reasons.
    No built-in downsides. Worst comes to worst, you sign a couple big, one-year contracts to reach the floor. In San Antonio's situation, they probably could only string it along for a couple seasons before the bill on the rest of the youth comes due.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Vassell ends up a dawg!!!! Samanic may show us something also��������

Thread Information