Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has that TJ Warren feel to me... Hopefully we help him develop!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I am on the bubble kinda player I am trying to get on Spurs team because they have shown that if they like you they will spend time developing you and rewarding you with a contract if you do good.

I am happy we finally trying to develop some SF this year I think both have potential and just hoping that G League will not be canceled so they can get coached/developed. It's also nice that they are both defensive players who both have decent 3 ball already just need to work on fundamentals and believe in themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Keita as any lesser than Trey, I feel like both accomplished the same thing in college. One got lucky and got drafted in the first round, and the other one didn't. Both had bad luck in the NBA starting off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see Keita as any lesser than Trey, I feel like both accomplished the same thing in college. One got lucky and got drafted in the first round, and the other one didn't. Both had bad luck in the NBA starting off.
    Neither got drafted in the first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh? Trey was the 12th pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you thinking Tre Jones? I'm talking about Trey Lyles.

Trey was out of the league until the Spurs saved him. I see Keita as the same way. I don't see a huge talent disparity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you thinking Tre Jones? I'm talking about Trey Lyles.

Trey was out of the league until the Spurs saved him. I see Keita as the same way. I don't see a huge talent disparity.
    That's my bad. I forgot Lyles existed, just like I did all last year until like a month into the season.

I don't see them as being similar though. KBD has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. Or at least that would've been the read on them coming out of school. I think Lyles is more differentiated now, and it's still something KBD can surpass. Keita seems more like LRMaM but with more hope on offense. I don't see Lyles as that guy at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's my bad. I forgot Lyles existed, just like I did all last year until like a month into the season.

I don't see them as being similar though. KBD has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. Or at least that would've been the read on them coming out of school. I think Lyles is more differentiated now, and it's still something KBD can surpass. Keita seems more like LRMaM but with more hope on offense. I don't see Lyles as that guy at all.
    Who is LRMaM?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Try Lyles is like nothing. He's like water. One of the most inconsequential players in the league and it's easy to forget he's there even when playing on the floor. He impacts the game in absolutely no ways.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lyles came to SA and tried a different approach to save his career. He had no discipline before, but under Pop he played to avoid making mistakes. By the end of the year he was hitting 3s at a good % and made me think that his second year will be worth taking the chance on. His ceiling still may be a homeless man’s Boris Diaw, but he could be a young glue guy type at the 4 with some upside left. That’s my optimistic take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles is the type of player if you give a big contract to you just wasted your money he needs a fire under his ass and short term deals will get the most out of him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles would have remained safely in the league had the Spurs not signed him, the same way Forbes was always going to remain in the league too.

Myopic fans conflated the team thrusting them into roles above their heads with their not being NBA players.

Lyles actually has a real chance to earn an extension. Pop is a fan, Gay is probably gone in the off season, Samanic is a question mark and Bates-Diop is unlikely to last beyond the season, so the positional need is only going to increase.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles would have remained safely in the league had the Spurs not signed him, the same way Forbes was always going to remain in the league too.

Myopic fans conflated the team thrusting them into roles above their heads with their not being NBA players.

Lyles actually has a real chance to earn an extension. Pop is a fan, Gay is probably gone in the off season, Samanic is a question mark and Bates-Diop is unlikely to last beyond the season, so the positional need is only going to increase.
    I disagree, there was no demand for Trey Lyles, he was bound to Europe or the china league. The Spurs were his last chance but I do believe he took advantage of the opportunity the Spurs gave him. He showed he can play in this league when given an opportunity. Other teams may still question is he improved or the Spurs system of player success.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, there was no demand for Trey Lyles, he was bound to Europe or the china league. The Spurs were his last chance but I do believe he took advantage of the opportunity the Spurs gave him. He showed he can play in this league when given an opportunity. Other teams may still question is he improved or the Spurs system of player success.
    Based on what? The Nuggets, arguably the deepest team in the league, initially qualified him, only pulling it when they acquired their second starting caliber "PF" and third rotational one, to add to their bloated payroll.

I'm no Lyles fan, but at a difficult to fill position, he'd shown enough to get another job in the league. He's more like a fringe rotation than fringe NBA player.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on what? The Nuggets, arguably the deepest team in the league, initially qualified him, only pulling it when they acquired their second starting caliber "PF" and third rotational one, to add to their bloated payroll.

I'm no Lyles fan, but at a difficult to fill position, he'd shown enough to get another job in the league. He's more like a fringe rotation than fringe NBA player.
    Based on the fact he was a former lottery pick that had been already traded twice. 3 teams in 5 years and you are young lottery pick from Kentucky. Yet he was a complete afterthought in free agency with no known intrest, almost 3 weeks into free agency until a desperate Spurs team snafu. He had developed a reputation of immaturity and poor workout/practice habits. He is a young lotterty stretch big with potential but 2 other teams found no use for him.
    Again, that being said, i believe he played as well as he did because he seized the opportunity knowing their was no demand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep could not have said it any better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the fact he was a former lottery pick that had been already traded twice. 3 teams in 5 years and you are young lottery pick from Kentucky. Yet he was a complete afterthought in free agency with no known intrest, almost 3 weeks into free agency until a desperate Spurs team snafu. He had developed a reputation of immaturity and poor workout/practice habits. He is a young lotterty stretch big with potential but 2 other teams found no use for him.
    Again, that being said, i believe he played as well as he did because he seized the opportunity knowing their was no demand.
    If he were on his way out of the league, the Spurs would have signed him for the minimum, possibly not even fully guaranteed.

He became a free agent after most of the money had been spent and spots had been filled.

He was traded by the Jazz to move into the late lottery for Mitc .

The opportunity to start and the lack of a guarantee on the second season spurred an urgency in him that had been lacking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lyles literally can't get an extension. For the most part, you can just sub that out for "a real chance to be re-signed" but the important difference there is that SA will have all season to see what they have in Samanic and KBD, and both of them will be under team control next off-season. They can also go through the draft first and see if they want to keep Gay around. I think there are a lot of scenarios that can lower Lyles' chances of staying if he doesn't improve.

I agree that Lyles was going to be on an NBA roster. I don't think the contract he got was outrageous considering what he'd accomplished. Obviously the Knicks did a good job signing Morris, but Trey would've been as good as any of the other PFs they signed. Forbes' is underrated by the fan base. He's clearly an NBA player and should be in the league for another half-dozen years at least. Not sad to see him go, but people underestimate the importance of shooters and the lack of talent of most 15th men.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucks probably has one of the worst FOs in the league (especially with the decisions made this season), Forbes' signature is the icing on the cake.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles literally can't get an extension. For the most part, you can just sub that out for "a real chance to be re-signed" but the important difference there is that SA will have all season to see what they have in Samanic and KBD, and both of them will be under team control next off-season. They can also go through the draft first and see if they want to keep Gay around. I think there are a lot of scenarios that can lower Lyles' chances of staying if he doesn't improve.

I agree that Lyles was going to be on an NBA roster. I don't think the contract he got was outrageous considering what he'd accomplished. Obviously the Knicks did a good job signing Morris, but Trey would've been as good as any of the other PFs they signed. Forbes' is underrated by the fan base. He's clearly an NBA player and should be in the league for another half-dozen years at least. Not sad to see him go, but people underestimate the importance of shooters and the lack of talent of most 15th men.
    You can not compare Morris to Lyles career wise and as far as Fords you can blame all the HATE on Pop who clearly gave him more playing time at the Spurs expense. If he would have used him in certain situations such as instant offense/heat check and then pulled him when he was missing we would all probably be cool being a bench player but no way a starter on any NBA team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fair enough. Of course there's a lot of scenarios that can lower the chance, I'm just saying people should brace themselves for the very real possibility that he's not just a stopgap or placeholder and that this could easily be the start of a Forbes like 4 year tenure or whatever.

It's not a knock on anybody, but like I said, a lot of people just watch the Spurs, rending them biased, myopic and unable to form a well rounded enough opinions to fairly assess players standing in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one has dismissed the possibility of Trey returning. That and him being a placeholder/ stopgap are two separate things. When there's a clear upgrade, he's going to be either pushed down the line-up or will be let go / traded. Just like Bryn was.

The upgrade could be Luka, KBD, or simply someone in the draft next year.

It's pretty clear that KBD is insurance for when he leaves given that the Spurs have less flexibility with his (Trey Lyles) bird rights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him being pushed down/let go could take longer than people hope/think though because they'll need two rotational fours going forward.

Too soon to say with any certainty, but at this writing I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's retained.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he is like a crack head they going to hit rock bottom eventually and either two things are going to happen they are going to keep doing it and eventually die or they will wake up one day and say it I am done with this poison and I want to live. So hopefully he hit rock bottom of almost being out of league and understanding it doesn’t matter where you were drafted if you don’t work hard and produce you will be out of this league first rounder or second rounder it doesn’t matter.

I think he has a good chance of getting another contract by the Spurs as long as he can play team defense and rebound and improve his 3 ball game he has a good shot of sticking

Thread Information