Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bates Diop has really stuck out these last few games. I like his defense and he doesn’t hesitate on his shot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bates Diop has really stuck out these last few games. I like his defense and he doesn’t hesitate on his shot.
    It’s unfortunate not to have a full G League this year, but he’s the kind of guy I’d love to bring back on a two year cheap deal after this. He’s serviceable, while the other two-way guy’s only contribution is to get half the team sick and force us to realize how awesome Luka is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already better than Dante Cunningham

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s unfortunate not to have a full G League this year, but he’s the kind of guy I’d love to bring back on a two year cheap deal after this. He’s serviceable, while the other two-way guy’s only contribution is to get half the team sick and force us to realize how awesome Luka is.
    What's good is that the team will have his RFA rights if he makes it through the year. If Gay and Lyles move on, there will be minutes for him and Samanic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diop has Devin's body... they look exactly alike.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's good is that the team will have his RFA rights if he makes it through the year. If Gay and Lyles move on, there will be minutes for him and Samanic.
    Such a great value signing. Vintage Spurs find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget LMA might be gone too. Seems like a solid 4/5 player we can keep on the cheap. He also doesn’t try to do too much like Lyles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget LMA might be gone too. Seems like a solid 4/5 player we can keep on the cheap. He also doesn’t try to do too much like Lyles.
    He's been playing the 3 exclusively in all his minutes that he's played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully LMA is gone, regardless he is a backup 3 and can play some spot minutes at the four.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already better than Dante Cunningham
    What a dark time in Spurs history. I remember trying to be mildly optimistic but I was just homering. I knew that was a waste of contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully LMA is gone, regardless he is a backup 3 and can play some spot minutes at the four.
    He’s 6’8 with 7’3 wingspan pretty sure he can be a 4 in today’s NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He really took advantage of the opportunity. Very mobile and can guard and switch. Dang Spurs is stacked!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s 6’8 with 7’3 wingspan pretty sure he can be a 4 in today’s NBA.
    He has been used as a SF his whole professional career. He is a 3/4, never a 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was ready to contribute and did. Really good showing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather keep him as a 3rd stringer than Lyles. Diop would be cheaper too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point, will keep him under control on a relatively cheap deal (unless he really shines, and don’t think there’s enough playing time for that to happen).

Uncovering guys like him really allows them to swing big on the rest of the roster - don’t have to backfill with bench guys on high seven-figures contracts, which means there’s room for bigger contracts (either by signing or trade).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka/Diop makes Lyles/Gay expendable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night KBD shot well, but overall, Lyles has a better 3 pointer. He’s also a better rebounder. There’s a reason he’s on an NBA contract, and KBD is on a two way. He’s better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles has an affordable salary. I don't think other teams are going to offer more.

Gay is at the end of his career.

That said, Diop and Lyles fill the same role. Diop has higher defensive upside. Spurs will still be drafting next year and its getting crowded with all the draft picks that are keepers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Luka and Lyles could make the Spurs at least consider any offer for Gay. They seem to like Lyles and he's playing better while Luka has shown promise and could use minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today’s league the more versatile 6’8-6’9 guys you have who can switch and provide some versatility on offense by shooting and the occasional dribble drive the better

Rudy is probably going ring chasing next year or gets paid from a playoff team with dreams of contention who needs a vet.

I don’t think it needs to be a either/or thing. But right now just based on what we have seen from Lyles both prior to the appendix problem last year, and now this year in being a consummate professional ready to contribute in whatever way he’s needed whenever it’s needed I think you have to take Trey. A former lottery pick from a top program who very well could have flamed out of the league but accepted a deep bench role to prove himself- you can see the flashes of shot creation, confidence in the jumper. Call me crazy- but Lyles could be a really useful 4/5 glue guy you bring off the bench to create and generally be that Swiss Army knife X factor that can break the ice when your normal options aren’t cooking. Similar to how Boris was used in 2014.

KBD I can see having a nice career as a rotation player. I have questions about the consistency with his jump shot mechanics, he seems fairly limited offensively but we haven’t seen enough to really say what his potential is- and his physical tools allow him to be a solid defender but I don’t see him as a game changer right now on that end. Worth keeping around next year on a minimum deal. 25 isn’t prospect status necessarily- but there’s still plenty of time to grow and blossom.
    Last edited by PrimeMinister; 03-03-2021 at 11:15 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perfect. One starts and another comes off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles has an affordable salary. I don't think other teams are going to offer more.

Gay is at the end of his career.

That said, Diop and Lyles fill the same role. Diop has higher defensive upside. Spurs will still be drafting next year and its getting crowded with all the draft picks that are keepers.
    I just don’t see the hustle mentality with Lyles. Lyles seems to be a wannabe superstar, while Diop seems more comfortable doing what is asked and playing his role. Lyles is serviceable, but I’d rather not have another guy on the team bemoaning his touches. I can’t see him diving on the floor in front of a player to get the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don’t see the hustle mentality with Lyles. Lyles seems to be a wannabe superstar, while Diop seems more comfortable doing what is asked and playing his role. Lyles is serviceable, but I’d rather not have another guy on the team bemoaning his touches. I can’t see him diving on the floor in front of a player to get the ball.
    When has anyone had anything but positive things to say about Trey’s at ude, readiness, and humility in accepting a lesser role? And no, pop saying “he wants to play more” isn’t that.

im cool watching film of a player and generating legitimate criticism or critique of their playstyle and how they can improve- but the amount of intangible musing people on this board do about “at ude” or their own perception of what their willingness to compete is drags down the discussion more than anything else here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA

Per a source: The San Antonio Spurs have extended a qualifying offer to Keita Bates-Diop. Bates-Diop will be a restricted free agent.

6:32 PM · Jul 30, 2021

Thread Information