Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Medical Association, the nation's largest group of doctors, deems racism a 'public health threat'

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to threaten hard-hit minority communities, the nation’s largest association of doctors has passed a policy that recognizes racism as a public health threat.

The new policy recognizes racism as a social determinant of health and highlights the health disparities and lack of access to health care that have significantly hindered good health in Black and other historically marginalized communities in the U.S.

The American Medical Association’s House of Delegates — which includes 600-plus members from every medical specialty — released a statement last week that describes three tiers of racism detailed in the policy: systemic, cultural and interpersonal. Each pose specific barriers to quality medical care and good health and hinder the advancement of health equity, the group wrote.

The AMA also implored its medical professionals to identify strategies to mitigate racism’s health impacts, teach future doctors about racism in medical school curricula and support policy development for researching the issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/6400945002/

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "LOL"
    ‐ every Immigrant

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "Baltimore-based board member Dr. Willarda Edwards chaired the AMA Task Force on Health Equity and lobbied for action that led to the creation of the AMA Center on Health Equity last year. She said the AMA's new policy is a continuation of those efforts — and the result of a confluence of racial unrest amid protests against police brutality and the pandemic."

Americans do this to themselves. You put them into positions of influence and they dumb down your ins utions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a hero. Thanks for sharing

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Baltimore-based board member Dr. Willarda Edwards chaired the AMA Task Force on Health Equity and lobbied for action that led to the creation of the AMA Center on Health Equity last year. She said the AMA's new policy is a continuation of those efforts — and the result of a confluence of racial unrest amid protests against police brutality and the pandemic."

Americans do this to themselves. You put them into positions of influence and they dumb down your ins utions
    Wow, she's a much higher achiever than you.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Oh so it's just a buncha blacks playing the race card. Carry on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racism is bad, but it's not the business of medical professionals to address societal issues. When scientists go looking for Noah's Ark... basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh so it's just a buncha blacks playing the race card. Carry on
    All so much better than you....that's gotta hurt you in the feelings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Americans do this to theyselves. You put them in position a influence they dumb down yo ins utions
    fify

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    All so much better than you....that's gotta hurt you in the feelings.
    I have a STEM degree and didn't obtain it filling a racial quota

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a STEM degree and didn't obtain it filling a racial quota
    And you're a nobody.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gladys Kravitz up there face in everyone's windows... ^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racism is bad, but it's not the business of medical professionals to address societal issues. When scientists go looking for Noah's Ark... basically.
    Racism is bad, but pretending racism does not condition public health outcomes is related.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gladys Kravitz up there face in everyone's windows... ^
    DMC reading every single one of my posts.

Now he'll deny it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill, they didn't call Republicans racist...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Racism is bad, but pretending racism does not condition public health outcomes is related.
    Even educated blacks suffer from tunnel vision. Every issue and event is thru the scope of their tiny demographic. They aren't fit to lead in Western Civilization, should stick to teaching in their little inner city communities

It's cute how American universities created these token courses for them to obtain degrees in. "Afro-American studies".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMA, is right on this, and years ago I had the honor of meeting with this hero who pushed the idea of eliminating racial and ethnic disparities especially those involving unequal access - Dr. David Satcher, health inequities of many types are part of the complex social determinants of health which affect health status greatly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.voa...norities%3famp
    Last edited by Rummpd; 11-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine taking this stuff seriously.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For years I read that black men were more at risk for prostate cancer, same for black women with breast/reproductive cancers.

but "studies have shown", that for the same cancer diagnosis and stage, blacks received less aggressive treatment than whites, so higher mortality rates.

Certainly compounded by Capitalist health care where non-whites are poorer, are underinsured, not insured.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes it’s ridiculous to point out that poor people die at a much higher rate in this country and attempt to look for reasons.
    It’s for the people we elected to actually try to solve disparities in health care. Or, it seems if you’re on the red team, just forget about it, they’re stupid anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine taking this stuff seriously.
    One area we should

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even educated blacks suffer from tunnel vision. Every issue and event is thru the scope of their tiny demographic. They aren't fit to lead in Western Civilization, should stick to teaching in their little inner city communities

It's cute how American universities created these token courses for them to obtain degrees in. "Afro-American studies".
    Don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes it’s ridiculous to point out that poor people die at a much higher rate in this country and attempt to look for reasons.
    It’s for the people we elected to actually try to solve disparities in health care. Or, it seems if you’re on the red team, just forget about it, they’re stupid anyway.
    Poor or black? What does being poor have to do with race? Cause vs correlation. The rest of your blathering is just strawman bull like always.

How are the Asians doing? Indians?

When people begin to address cultural issues, like "where's dad?" then they can look outside the home.\

Either way it has nothing to do with medicine. Getting people to the hospital isn't a physician's issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill, they didn't call Republicans racist...
    Why is it posted in the political section if it's not political?

Thread Information