Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it posted in the political section if it's not political?
    Says right there in this forum's description:

Post about politics, news, government, religion and business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it posted in the political section if it's not political?
    Defining racism as a cultural ill beyond the power of politics to remedy bakes in the injustice and coddles the perps.

Lol bracketing out racism as "not politics," what could be more nakedly political than assigning people social worth and political rights according to their perceived skin tint?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Defining racism as a cultural ill beyond the power of politics to remedy bakes in the injustice and coddles the perps.

Lol bracketing out racism as "not politics," what could be more nakedly political than assigning people social worth and political rights according to their perceived skin tint?
    Americans obsession with race.

Please spend sometime outside these borders and come to the realization that you were programmed to view the Planet and its inhabitants thru this constructed prism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Americans obsession with race.

Please spend sometime outside these borders and come to the realization that you were programmed to view the Planet and its inhabitants thru this constructed prism.
    I've spent plenty of time outside these borders, tbh... not sure where you're trying to go with this. Different forms of racism/xenophobia are prevalent in almost every country.

But, you're also mistaken. You have an obsession with race, Americans have an obsession with racial equality.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Heavy Toll of the Black Belt’s Wastewater Crisis

Many rural households in America don’t have access to safe sewage systems.

In Alabama, entrenched poverty and unusual geology have created a public-health disaster.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/30/the-heavy-toll-of-the-black-belts-wastewater-crisis

Then there is environmental INjustice where poor live next toxic sites because cheap and no whites would live there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says right there in this forum's description:

Post about politics, news, government, religion and business.
    Do you really think it's not about politics? It seems every thread here comes down to red vs blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've spent plenty of time outside these borders, tbh... not sure where you're trying to go with this. Different forms of racism/xenophobia are prevalent in almost every country.

But, you're also mistaken. You have an obsession with race, Americans have an obsession with racial equality.
    It's interesting we (Americans) can move toward gender neutrality but not toward racial neutrality. Race is either an issue for or against someone, depending on the issue and who stands to gain. If we never defined our race to begin with, if we refused to use race as an iden y, then people would be left to judge by color of skin, and we know how that goes.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Okay you have fun with all that racial systematic equality privilege and us immigrants will instead focus on working hard & up the ladder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay you have fun with all that racial systematic equality privilege and us immigrants will instead focus on working hard & up the ladder
    I'm an immigrant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm an immigrant.
    Props actually all who are - my wife an immigrant and it is good we live in a diverse nation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really think it's not about politics? It seems every thread here comes down to red vs blue.
    Religion and Politics having the larger megaphone shouldn't really come as a surprise, tbh

It's interesting we (Americans) can move toward gender neutrality but not toward racial neutrality. Race is either an issue for or against someone, depending on the issue and who stands to gain. If we never defined our race to begin with, if we refused to use race as an iden y, then people would be left to judge by color of skin, and we know how that goes.
    I don't know about that gender neutrality claim. I'm willing to bet half the people don't know the difference between gender and sex, and Frosty here would be just as outraged about somebody asking him to use a different pronoun.

However, it's different from race, and I would even dare calling it a first world problem.

America clearly has an indelible dark history with racism (see what I did there?), which is a big factor, and why I don't like to conflate social plights. Plus, it hasn't been that long either, relatively speaking. 60 years since the Civil Rights movement? 2-3 generations tops?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different forms of racism/xenophobia are prevalent in almost every country.
    I'd say in EVERY country with a heterogenous population, racial, ethnic, religious "racism".

genetic tribalism against the "other", against any out-group

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion and Politics having the larger megaphone shouldn't really come as a surprise, tbh

I don't know about that gender neutrality claim. I'm willing to bet half the people don't know the difference between gender and sex, and Frosty here would be just as outraged about somebody asking him to use a different pronoun.

However, it's different from race, and I would even dare calling it a first world problem.

America clearly has an indelible dark history with racism (see what I did there?), which is a big factor, and why I don't like to conflate social plights. Plus, it hasn't been that long either, relatively speaking. 60 years since the Civil Rights movement? 2-3 generations tops?
    I think the term "racism" has been softened and blurred to mean something it's not. For example, it's not racist to not want to date outside your own race. It's not racist to discriminate based on race if there are reasons that don't include the notion that one race is inherently better than another, even if the notion is ill founded. For example, some ins utions actively look for black students, and they may turn away a white or Asian student just as academically qualified. That's race based discrimination, but it's not a racist policy as it seeks to correct social imbalances brought about by centuries of treating other humans like property. I see the term being use to define people who get offended at being called privileged, when they are dirt poor, just because they are white. Being offended by the concept doesn't make you a racist, it doesn't mean you think your race is better than another race.

Other than the neo-nazis and actually some minority cultures, I don't know if true racism even exists any more. I know racial profiling exists, and stereotyping exists, and unfair legal practices and ty upbringing exists, and that people are slaves to their experiences. You can say some of that is a "form" of racism, but when true Hitler level racism gets conflated with basic cultural ignorance, that's where conversation stops. Labeling everyone who disagrees with your take or refuses to take a knee during the anthem as a "racist" is wrong. It seems extremely popular though as an instant win button.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I'd say in EVERY country with a heterogenous population, racial, ethnic, religious "racism".

genetic tribalism against the "other", against any out-group
    In terms of nations, even genous ones have these issues. Different regions have even slightly different dialect or social customs because of contrasting climate/geography.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I think the term "racism" has been softened and blurred to mean something it's not. For example, it's not racist to not want to date outside your own race. It's not racist to discriminate based on race if there are reasons that don't include the notion that one race is inherently better than another, even if the notion is ill founded. For example, some ins utions actively look for black students, and they may turn away a white or Asian student just as academically qualified. That's race based discrimination, but it's not a racist policy as it seeks to correct social imbalances brought about by centuries of treating other humans like property. I see the term being use to define people who get offended at being called privileged, when they are dirt poor, just because they are white. Being offended by the concept doesn't make you a racist, it doesn't mean you think your race is better than another race.

Other than the neo-nazis and actually some minority cultures, I don't know if true racism even exists any more. I know racial profiling exists, and stereotyping exists, and unfair legal practices and ty upbringing exists, and that people are slaves to their experiences. You can say some of that is a "form" of racism, but when true Hitler level racism gets conflated with basic cultural ignorance, that's where conversation stops. Labeling everyone who disagrees with your take or refuses to take a knee during the anthem as a "racist" is wrong. It seems extremely popular though as an instant win button.
    As is the case with increasing amount of these progressive ideals - meant well and worked but has gone too far. (in just my short adult life).

Racism should be restricted to physically hurting or encouraging so. We transitioned to verbal abuse. And now we are dissecting peoples thoughts. When in reality we are assuming why they did something. Thought police. If one doesn't do A, then they are choosing B. But life is more complicated than A or B, and white or black. I.e. "Silence is Violence"
    Last edited by FrostKing; 11-25-2020 at 04:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racism is bad, but it's not the business of medical professionals to address societal issues. When scientists go looking for Noah's Ark... basically.
    It is when those societal issues are deemed sucursal determinants of health. This would be one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not wanting to date outside of your race CAN be racist, depending on your reason, but the desire is not inherently a racist one, yes.

And I agree, I do think that the term "racist" and "racism" has gone from viewing/treating other races as inferior to "well you said/did something that I don't like, so that's racist." It's a classic far-left move. Take something that is noble at its core and make it unpalatable for the majority.

That said, racism is most certainly still rampant, and it's definitely a public health issue as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is when those societal issues are deemed sucursal determinants of health. This would be one of them.
    With so many Indian doctors, is anyone looking into caste based discrimination where healthcare is concerned?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "people who get offended at being called privileged, when they are dirt poor, just because they are white."

but being dirt poor privileged whites, they are in a better position than dirt poor blacks and browns.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-26-2020 at 05:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With so many Indian doctors, is anyone looking into caste based discrimination where healthcare is concerned?
    We already have a system of racial caste in the US, no Indian doctors are needed to maintain it. Somebody should look into that, don't you think?

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3317893...crossref&seq=1
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7569192/
    https://www.firstpost.com/india/cast...d-6755401.html
    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-united-states

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's definitely some co-opting of the term to describe situations that are not inherently racist, only superficially so, which you describe and I agree with. Then again, that's simply a reflection of how much of a wedge issue this has been (you don't co-opt something that's unimportant to most people, as it doesn't garner the attention, which is the ultimate goal). But it would also be disingenuous not to point out that there's also a not so subtle push from racists to soften and blur the term too (ie: civil rights have been around for a long time, thus all racism claims today are unfounded!), which is a way to undermine the plight and thus keep the privilege too.

Also, the education part you bring up is important too. Ignorance goes hand in hand with education, and that's definitely something we can act on and eradicate. Unfortunately, the fact that you still find nowadays fairly severe push back from attempts to educate about this topic seems contrary to the notion that this ignorance can be readily dismissed, tbh.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There's definitely some co-opting of the term to describe situations that are not inherently racist, only superficially so, which you describe and I agree with. Then again, that's simply a reflection of how much of a wedge issue this has been (you don't co-opt something that's unimportant to most people, as it doesn't garner the attention, which is the ultimate goal). But it would also be disingenuous not to point out that there's also a not so subtle push from racists to soften and blur the term too (ie: civil rights have been around for a long time, thus all racism claims today are unfounded!), which is a way to undermine the plight and thus keep the privilege too.

Also, the education part you bring up is important too. Ignorance goes hand in hand with education, and that's definitely something we can act on and eradicate. Unfortunately, the fact that you still find nowadays fairly severe push back from attempts to educate about this topic seems contrary to the notion that this ignorance can be readily dismissed, tbh.
    Current education is very much stroking victimhood. And the reason for that is because it is not an honest discussion but instead filtered in political correctness. Today, more than ever one can make a career out of being a SJW. I question if the intent is to actually solve issues or create more so the conversation becomes larger and more profitable...for the "educators" and "solvers"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a bunch of "look over here but not at what we're doing..." in all facets of our country from bigGov, bigPharma, bigBusiness, bigAcademia, big, big, big...

all traitors to our nation! all frauds!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current education is very much stroking victimhood. And the reason for that is because it is not an honest discussion but instead filtered in political correctness. Today, more than ever one can make a career out of being a SJW. I question if the intent is to actually solve issues or create more so the conversation becomes larger and more profitable...for the "educators" and "solvers"
    Your overt racism has nothing to do with political correctness or lack of an honest discussion. I don't particularly care to hear why you're racist to begin with. Whatever excuses you have to put in your head to support that corrosive ideal are simply that, excuses, and are strictly yours.

My concern with education is so future generations don't have to be like you.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Your overt racism has nothing to do with political correctness or lack of an honest discussion. I don't particularly care to hear why you're racist to begin with. Whatever excuses you have to put in your head to support that corrosive ideal are simply that, excuses, and are strictly yours.

My concern with education is so future generations don't have to be like you.
    Then work to change their behavior and mindset; not make excuses for them. The World doesn't like them not because of some conspiracy or lack of so called education.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 11-25-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Thread Information