Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FO must think a lot of his ability to blend in quickly. So far most of the young guards they drafted lately are pretty damn good. Tre Jones may be the only one that can play only one position. Give them all equal minutes and tell them to run the other team off the floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Killing the team on the court" = hesitant to shoot the 3 a couple times, which most rooks do in front of Pop

Q is going to prove a lot of doubters wrong here.

He was immediately given Beli's minutes and received minutes first over Luka. Beli was forced not to play, basically.
    Killing the team on the court actually = the team going minus with in on the court in every game but the one against Denver.

We're talking about a guy who went 12/7/11/3/1 ... for the entire year. He was a net-negative even in the d-league. That's not the end all be all. Keldon didn't light the world on fire either. But there wasn't the same type of stretch where Weatherspoon put together great play to inspire a lot of confidence. Also, he's a physical defender, but that's not the same thing as being a good defender. The Medium Three Spurs weren't very physical at all, especially in terms of the contact they'd initiate. Bumping into guys is more likely to get folks called for fouls than lead to stops. I like his chutzpa, but in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu struggled for years to gain any confidence from the coaching staff to get any playing time.

Q gained it easily in one year.

Just the huge difference there should indicate he has a future with the Spurs.
    Metu is one of the worst players to wear a Spurs uniform. Pop could've been down to four guys and Metu and would've volunteered to go out there himself over playing Chim. Just an awful player. Spoon barely getting playing time despite the injuries is a more honest indicator than being above Metu in the pecking order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Killing the team on the court actually = the team going minus with in on the court in every game but the one against Denver.

We're talking about a guy who went 12/7/11/3/1 ... for the entire year. He was a net-negative even in the d-league. That's not the end all be all. Keldon didn't light the world on fire either. But there wasn't the same type of stretch where Weatherspoon put together great play to inspire a lot of confidence. Also, he's a physical defender, but that's not the same thing as being a good defender. The Medium Three Spurs weren't very physical at all, especially in terms of the contact they'd initiate. Bumping into guys is more likely to get folks called for fouls than lead to stops. I like his chutzpa, but in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."
    Using +/- on a guy that averaged seven minutes per game? Really?

The gleague team didn't win many games, so I'm not sure using +/- is very honest about his play either.

How about this? By game 35, I say he's a regular rotation piece. Take the bet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok good go buy your house Tre and then go back to the gym and earn it

and go buy your mom a house too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some posters basically just remember the good things he did in the bubble, which made him seem like an obvious NBA player and don't remember the times where he was killing the team on the court. I like Weatherspoon too, but like, I don't know that he'll be on the team long term, especially as a solid rotation player. He's not solid enough to make up for his lack of talent, but he's still young enough to where he could fix that.
    Hopeful I get, but The Drew Carey guy is drawing hearts around their names together and already dreaming about the wedding. It's embarrassing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some posters basically just remember the good things he did in the bubble, which made him seem like an obvious NBA player and don't remember the times where he was killing the team on the court. I like Weatherspoon too, but like, I don't know that he'll be on the team long term, especially as a solid rotation player. He's not solid enough to make up for his lack of talent, but he's still young enough to where he could fix that.
    He's fine enough to have a career in China or the G league or Euro leagues. But he's not NBA material, at least in anything but emergency/garbage time mop up duty.

If FVF is a backup PG in the NBA, and Isaiah Thomas isn't even in a training camp, this dude is not NBA material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones will get all the undeserved minutes on this team, book it. He is gonna be the new black hole on this team, count on it. WTF this dude has no coperate knowledge and is a 13th point guard, not GUARD, Point GAURD taken in a draft and gets guaranteed money as that. Partially guaranteed money is STILL GUARANTEED MONEY.
    You're a ing idiot. Jones is the only pure PG on the roster, with White a fantastic combo who can also run a team. Coporate knowledge (check your spelling)? Coach K gushes about this guy and, at the very least, he will be as good as his brother is, a competent lead guard. Black hole? His issue is that he's not a fantastic shooter, but he is a good floor general. And as good as Vassell is at defense, Jones is the one that won the conference DPOY award.

It's okay to have opinions. I'm not sure how good Jones will be. But your opinions have to be somewhat connected to reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know WTF a Mr.body is but NGA you've been on this list for a minute now... stop blowing up my notices.

Badge of honor. Thanks for the accolade!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu struggled for years to gain any confidence from the coaching staff to get any playing time.

Q gained it easily in one year.

Just the huge difference there should indicate he has a future with the Spurs.
    Unless we draft Cade next year.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose without Summer League the FO had to commit to signing him. And I will hope that his stellar defense was enough to give them confidence in the signing without having seen him play against professionals. Or at the least, it signals and reinforces the direction I think the FO is taking the team: defense first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose without Summer League the FO had to commit to signing him. And I will hope that his stellar defense was enough to give them confidence in the signing without having seen him play against professionals. Or at the least, it signals and reinforces the direction I think the FO is taking the team: defense first.
    Floor: Tyus Jones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So people are making WAAAY too big of a deal out of his contract. It doesn't mean the Spurs extra believe in him or see him as part of the rotation or whatever. It's a way to keep maximum option value for a guy who should be decent depth. In many off-seasons, the Spurs have had to dedicate the MLE to signing a player to fill a rotation spot. That means basically only the min exception to get a second-rounder signed, and those deals could only be for two seasons. Like with Blair and Metu, the Spurs happened to have the room in the MLE available to make a deal work and to give themselves as much flexibility as possible. There was never a reason to believe SA would cut Jones out of camp; their scouting shouldn't be bad enough to allow that. So guaranteed money this year isn't noteworthy. They're also likely to be paying Carroll more next summer than they would to Jones, so even if next year is guaranteed, it's a low risk. After that, they'd get an extension-eligible third season and RFA after that if he's shown to be worth keeping. But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.
    There's a vast difference between Metu and Jones. If there was a huge chance that Metu busts, Jones isn't on the scale. Again and again, we already kind of see Tre's likely floor. Metu never had that floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So people are making WAAAY too big of a deal out of his contract. It doesn't mean the Spurs extra believe in him or see him as part of the rotation or whatever. It's a way to keep maximum option value for a guy who should be decent depth. In many off-seasons, the Spurs have had to dedicate the MLE to signing a player to fill a rotation spot. That means basically only the min exception to get a second-rounder signed, and those deals could only be for two seasons. Like with Blair and Metu, the Spurs happened to have the room in the MLE available to make a deal work and to give themselves as much flexibility as possible. There was never a reason to believe SA would cut Jones out of camp; their scouting shouldn't be bad enough to allow that. So guaranteed money this year isn't noteworthy. They're also likely to be paying Carroll more next summer than they would to Jones, so even if next year is guaranteed, it's a low risk. After that, they'd get an extension-eligible third season and RFA after that if he's shown to be worth keeping. But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.
    . I don’t recall Metu grading out in the first round on anyone’s board, nor was he PAC12 DPOY and POY.

All second rounders aren’t created equal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, this is in the same category as the Eubanks contract. It's a 3 year vet min, for a guy who should at a minimum be the 3ed string guy at the position (PG for Tre, C for Eubanks), and whom they have hopes for him to become a decent bench piece...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . I don’t recall Metu grading out in the first round on anyone’s board, nor was he PAC12 DPOY and POY.

All second rounders aren’t created equal.
    So? I'm not making an evaluation of him as a player. I'm saying that the contract doesn't suggest anything about his value. The Spurs would give anyone drafted in the mid-second a contract like that if they have the flexibility. The money they pay out is worth it to secure that option value.

Also, remember the Spurs really liked Metu. Jones has a lot going for him, but that doesn't mean SA had an unusually high grade on him. Obviously, enough teams thought players were better than Jones to have passed on him. He clearly wasn't a consensus first-rounder among real NBA teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, this is in the same category as the Eubanks contract. It's a 3 year vet min, for a guy who should at a minimum be the 3ed string guy at the position (PG for Tre, C for Eubanks), and whom they have hopes for him to become a decent bench piece...
    Yeah. The team is securing depth. That's going to be really important when guys like Walker start hitting free agency. The team can bring those guys up or bring in new guys over them with the security of knowing that they have a backstop with a couple of years of experience ready to step in if it doesn't work out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like both and think both can play with each other as they are Very Good defenders. Trey has better handles and better court vision and passing and Weatherspoon is a better shooter and finisher at the rim and like I said both are Good Defenders.

Weatherspoon is a good PG and I would say is a pretty decent SG and I definitely see him taking Mills role and should be the backup to White if he is injured. Trey is going to get time in G League if it is up and running and might see playing time at the end of the season depending on where we stand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a vast difference between Metu and Jones. If there was a huge chance that Metu busts, Jones isn't on the scale. Again and again, we already kind of see Tre's likely floor. Metu never had that floor.
    Sigh. I think people are again trying to parse through the minutia in lieu of the main point. It's off-season brain. I don't know if Jones is going to literally bust out. I don't know if he's going to be okay but the team will end up just collecting more guards and ending up cutting him. I don't know if Jones will be a backup for three or more years or even become a starter/star. I'm not in the business of making those kinds of predictions without watching guys play first. My point is that this is a more team-friendly contract than the Spurs are normally able to give to rookies. It's not a sign that they have plans for him any more than Metu's contract was for him.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow really splitting teeny tiny hairs on second rounders now are we

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to learn how to shoot. It’s not a bad thing to have a back up point guard seeing as we don’t have one. But if he can’t shoot then he’s not going to do us any good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The depth is nice, but you can see what a quiet off season the Spurs have had when we're arguing about third string PGs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Badge of honor. Thanks for the accolade!
    Yup. I'm on it too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was projected to go in the first round. 1st team All-ACC and ACC DPOY.

Not a bad guy to get locked up on a cheap contract.
    Another side note - He lead the Jr. National team Fibi in Argentina where the US won gold and he was youngest player and starting PG.

Thread Information