Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow this is an eyetester and sniffer watermark...

13th POINT guard taken in a down draft year getting a GUARANTEED in the middle contract in the Middle of a Pandemic is GOOD? WTF... DUKE S.... I guess....
    your evaluation is completely wrong. A lot of scouts said he might be the best PG in the entire draft. Locking him up for 3 years is great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."
    Another reason to love Spurs Talk, you can go from one post where someone is struggling to construct a sentence to someone quoting Rosseau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of love for both new Spurs in the latest TheAthletic article:

Most likely to get the “You know if Kawhi Leonard and Jason Kidd can learn to shoot…” treatment — Isaac Okoro, Cleveland Cavaliers

Runner-up: Tre Jones, San Antonio Spurs
    Most likely to be the best pick in the 10s — Devin Vassell, San Antonio Spurs

Just like the top lottery pick outside of the top 3, Vassell gets the pick here too. He might not just be a 3-and-D guy at the NBA level. I doubt he becomes a guy who is asked to isolate against defenders. But Vassell looks like he’ll be able to attack rotating defenders in space. His handle is improving to get different shots off the bounce. He’s a good passer. And he’s going to the Spurs. A little time under Gregg Popovich and his assistants will create a pathway to looking like an absolute theft at 11 in this draft.
    Most likely to be the Draymond Green of this draft — Tre Jones, San Antonio Spurs

Jones is one of the best defensive players in this draft class. He can clamp up with the best of them. With the Spurs grabbing him on draft night, we know he’s going to get the opportunity to play and develop at the right pace in his career. Jones will get plenty of chances to earn time on the floor thanks to his defense. Now remember that legendary shot doctor Chip Engelland helped fixed Kawhi Leonard’s jumper almost immediately, and it’s easy to see Jones correcting the flaws in his scouting report. If anybody has a chance to be the best player from the second-round in this draft, it’s Jones. He’s in the right environment and program to maximize his potential.
    Most likely to be the best lottery pick outside the Top 3 — Devin Vassell, San Antonio Spurs

Yes, I’m a little worried about the workout videos we saw pre-draft for Vassell, in which it looked like his smooth jumper had been morphed into some kind of catapult imitation. But there are plenty of scouts and executives around the NBA who simply aren’t worried about Vassell on the offensive end of the floor. Considering he’s one of the best defenders in the draft, nobody will worry about him on that end of the floor either. Vassell has gone to the Spurs and while the Spurs aren’t the top organization of yesterday, you still trust them to have an eye for talent and the right system to develop that talent.
    https://theathletic.com/2223667/2020...shared-article
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-28-2020 at 10:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh. I think people are again trying to parse through the minutia in lieu of the main point. It's off-season brain. I don't know if Jones is going to literally bust out. I don't know if he's going to be okay but the team will end up just collecting more guards and ending up cutting him. I don't know if Jones will be a backup for three or more years or even become a starter/star. I'm not in the business of making those kinds of predictions without watching guys play first. My point is that this is a more team-friendly contract than the Spurs are normally able to give to rookies. It's not a sign that they have plans for him any more than Metu's contract was for him.
    I agree with Chinook here. Contract was not based off merit or reputation, it was for roster flexibility. Better to give your 2nd rounder (no matter who it was) a 3 year contract than a two way one to secure depth. They didn't have the ability to do that last year for Q because of the Carroll mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow really splitting teeny tiny hairs on second rounders now are we
    Obviously posters on SpursTalk know more than the professional scouts on one of the most successful basketball teams of the last 30 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously posters on SpursTalk know more than the professional scouts on one of the most successful basketball teams of the last 30 years.
    Being a lurker on ST is the equivalent of sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express. Instant genius.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And didn't go in the first round, so who cares about projected. Where is the market he is leveraging against. "give me a deal or I'll"
    Play in Europe?
    Play in China,Korea, Japan?
    Play in Turkey?
    Play in Israel?

I kinda think he is getting the contract because his agents and team are in good with the Spurms Urkle GM and or are Duke s... Ratfacedcoach acolytes.
    He can choose to decline the contract and only accept the 1 year tender. Either he tanks training camp and become an UFA or play the rest of the year and enter restricted free agency. There is a risk on losing him for nothing or paying him significantly more than just signing him to the standard second round contract.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can choose to decline the contract and only accept the 1 year tender. Either he tanks training camp and become an UFA or play the rest of the year and enter restricted free agency. There is a risk on losing him for nothing or paying him significantly more than just signing him to the standard second round contract.
    What is "the standard second round contract"? I didn't think there was such a thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ard-154867641/

"In his two years here, he had two operations," Krzyzewski explained. "Two operations on his hips. One before he got here and then one after his freshman year. He kept becoming a better athlete. A little bit of the knock I hear is that they're not sure how good of an athlete he is. Since the end of the school year, he's been out in LA at P3 and has become even a better athlete."

Sure enough, P3 Sports Academy in LA has released videos of Jones doing skills combine work that show just how much of a leap Jones has made athletically.

Per Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress on twitter: "Tre set facility records in the 5y Slide (a test of lateral change of direction ability). His Drop Jump displacement (35”) ranks in the top 5 P3 has ever collected, possessing elite movement in both the vertical and lateral planes." Jones also tested a 40 inch max vertical leap."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is "the standard second round contract"? I didn't think there was such a thing.
    Yea there is non I was meant to say the usual, the only standard is the 1 year tender for the minimum which is higher than a two-way. But there is something called the Hinkie second round contract usually offered to high seconds. 3-4 years 2 years guaranteed , 3rd year non guaranteed, 4th year team option. Which is what high seconds usually get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea there is non I was meant to say the usual, the only standard is the 1 year tender for the minimum which is higher than a two-way. But there is something called the Hinkie second round contract usually offered to high seconds. 3-4 years 2 years guaranteed , 3rd year non guaranteed, 4th year team option. Which is what high seconds usually get.
    Pretty sure the Hinkie special includes no guaranteed years, only unguaranteed ones and team options.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Chinook here. Contract was not based off merit or reputation, it was for roster flexibility. Better to give your 2nd rounder (no matter who it was) a 3 year contract than a two way one to secure depth. They didn't have the ability to do that last year for Q because of the Carroll mistake.
    Teams already know prior to the draft on which players are willing to accept two ways. Q was already slated for two-way contract before free agency.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure the Hinkie special includes no guaranteed years, only unguaranteed ones and team options.
    Yea you are right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams already know prior to the draft on which players are willing to accept two ways. Q was already slated for two-way contract before free agency.
    That's a stretch to assume all those things, unless you can find a report stating it so.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-28-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a stretch to assume all those things, unless you can find a report stating it so.

Here's how the agents who spoke to VICE Sports think this year's draft is going to play out with regards to two-way deals: at some point next week, teams will call agents to find out which players are amenable to taking two-way deals for next season. Agents will talk to their clients, and put all the options out on the table.
    Next, teams will create two lists of players: those who are willing to take two-way deals, and those who won't, but will take the non-guaranteed, one-year required tender that every franchise must offer a second-round pick. Players in the latter group could be seen as riskier selections; a team could have to release them in training camp, losing a potential asset for nothing.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ywze...aft-and-beyond

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is my count right: their 14 roster slots taken and 3 2-way deals (QW, Diop, Reynolds)?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is my count right: their 14 roster slots taken and 3 2-way deals (QW, Diop, Reynolds)?
    Reynolds is an exhibit-10. https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...xhibit-10-deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The depth is nice, but you can see what a quiet off season the Spurs have had when we're arguing about third string PGs.
    Please remind me who our 1st 2 point guards are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another reason to love Spurs Talk, you can go from one post where someone is struggling to construct a sentence to someone quoting Rosseau.
    I'm 90% sure Chinook was being tongue-in-cheek there, tbf. Rosseau doesn't have a quote that goes like that, but the show Avatar: TLA (highly recommended, btw) uses that quote in its opening intro. It's a great quote either way, I've always liked it.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We stacked!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://mobile.twitter.com/P3sportsc...68159480385536

His training academy hyping him up. Perhaps a better athlete than most think. I’ll admit, this remains to be seen on the court. But interesting.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 11-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense isn't the "hounding" type you'd expect from players his size a la Beverley. He can probably stay in front of the quickest guard and he is very smart with his hands. Getting Kyle Lowry vibes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to learn how to shoot. It’s not a bad thing to have a back up point guard seeing as we don’t have one. But if he can’t shoot then he’s not going to do us any good.
    Supposedly he's improved that but, I agree with you. His ability to shoot will be the biggest factor for him making it at this level.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly he's improved that but, I agree with you. His ability to shoot will be the biggest factor for him making it at this level.
    Or developing a floater. Or being able to finish at the rim. He needs some consistent way he can score points. The consensus seems to be that he has a solid floor but his ceiling is just barely above that, or at least that's my interpretation.

Thread Information