My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...neration-shift

The Era of NFL Wide Receivers Wearing Jersey Numbers in the 80s Is Officially Dead

Who is the league’s best wideout with a uniform number in the 80s?

The era of wide receivers wearing uniform numbers in the 80s is over. Most football fans have probably noticed receivers wearing numbers in the teens for a while, but I am here to report that low-numbered receivers no longer represent a niche trend, or even a 50-50 split of the receiver market share. They are now the standard, and those wearing conventional numbers have become the outliers. Although the trickle has been steady over the past 20 years, 2019 officially marks the season when the high-numbered receiver emerged as an endangered species.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

The Era of NFL Wide Receivers Wearing Jersey Numbers in the 80s Is Officially Dead

Who is the league’s best wideout with a uniform number in the 80s?
    It might be Lamb. I'm having trouble even coming up with any relevant WR with an 80 something number.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I guess tight ends have to stay in the 80s

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It might be Lamb. I'm having trouble even coming up with any relevant WR with an 80 something number.
    AB is wearing 81
    Landry wears 80

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I guess tight ends have to stay in the 80s
    they can also technically wear numbers in the 40s but those are frowned upon because they are mainly reserved for guys who only play special teams. Though there have been an increase in LBs lately who have popularized the 40s like Deion Jones and Devin White. Tight ends in the 40s are usually thought of as fullbacks, tbh.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    Are there actual rules specifying who can wear what numbers? Or is this just more of an unwritten tradition?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Are there actual rules specifying who can wear what numbers? Or is this just more of an unwritten tradition?
    Yes, basically numbers in the 80s don't have to report as eligible receivers when they enter the game.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    That running back for Chicago is 84 I think

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Actual rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...niform_numbers

It makes the job a lot easier on the refs.

The numbers used relate to the player's primary position when they are first assigned a number. If they later change positions, they can keep their prior number, unless it conflicts with the eligible receiver rule; that is, only players that change positions from an eligible position (such as receiver or back) to an ineligible position (such as an offensive lineman) are required to change numbers if they change position. A modern example of this is running back Ty Montgomery, who has worn number 88 throughout his NFL career because he began his career as a wide receiver.[4]

Additionally, during a game a player may play out-of-position, but only after reporting in to the officials, who will announce to the stadium that a specific player number has reported in (for example, "Number 61 has reported as an eligible receiver") to alert the opposing team, other officials, and the audience that a player is legally out-of-position. A 2015 rule clarification made it illegal to use unusual formations (such as a tackle split wide in the slot position, but still "covered" by a wide receiver) to obscure who is and is not eligible based on uniform numbers in order to avoid having to report ineligible numbers.

Some positions are not listed in the rule book, such as long snapper and special teams gunner. Teams often assign these players to a recognized position (such as long snappers being listed as tight ends or special teams gunners as wide receivers) even if those players rarely, if ever, play in their official position. The rule book also allows players to appeal for exemptions to the numbering rules directly to the commissioner's office, which may grant such exceptions on occasion.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    That running back for Chicago is 84 I think
    Patterson, the best returner in the NFL since 2013. I can tell you're a casual fan because he was in Minnesota since 2013 in your own goddamn division.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    So tucking what

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    that and everyone knows the Bears RB is David GOATgomery, who I have started in fantasy all year and just now had his first 100 yard from scrimmage + TD game

(never mind that I'm like 2-8 and not sniffing the playoffs). Fuken Chicago Bearz

Thread Information