Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Target #2 and #3 are trades for me.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...nsactions.html

Unexpected trades happen all the time.

Mike Conley to the Jazz was an unexpected trade. We can pull something like that off.

Brogdon, Jimmy Butler, Kemba, Durant were all unexpected trades. We have the assets to pull off a trade for players like these.

There's usually players out there we won't know are available until they're traded.
    I agree completely-- and that's why I think the trade route using the expiring contracts of Aldridge & DeRozan + draft picks + a young player is a more plausible way for the Spurs to land a star or a couple of very good just-below-star-level players. The team is flush with young players, so adding a draft pick at this point wouldn't be the risky sacrifice it might've been in past recent seasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Antetokounmpo talk is insane, Conley to the Jazz was not unexpected, many of the others ended up sign and trades but their leaving their then in bent teams was not unexpected and the Spurs don't have the assets to trade for a superstar or star.

You always need a young or youngish centerpiece to pull that off and right now they lack that. White is the closest, but he's also already 26 and seems destined to top out in that nebulous zone between star and role player, a la Brogdon or Van Vleet.

White is in their class or capable, but because he's not as established, the Spurs are going to get luck and get him for probably 4/$60-70M, $15-25M less than they received.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Target #2 and #3 are trades for me.

Unexpected trades happen all the time.

Mike Conley to the Jazz was an unexpected trade. We can pull something like that off.

Brogdon, Jimmy Butler, Kemba, Durant were all unexpected trades. We have the assets to pull off a trade for players like these.

There's usually players out there we won't know are available until they're traded.
    Can't help but notice that all of those players you listed as unexpected trades were free-agent signings that were reworked as sign-and-trades. Not that those couldn't happen for the Spurs, but they weren't really like the first two Butler trades or Conley. I think the Spurs might be able to pull off a Gobert trade, and there are mixed feelings about whether that would be a good thing. I could see John Collins this year too if he's upset about not getting an extension. Hopefully not Aaron Gordon though he's not a bad fit for the team. MAYBE Otto Porter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno if I have to be the one to mention Leonard's name first as a free-agent addition, but I'll go ahead. If the Clippers flame out again in embarrassing fashion, I could see something breaking in Kawhi's Kamp and him leaving LA. If he does and SA has money, a good young core and the pieces to trade for a second/third star, then they'd make as much sense as any. The only compe or would be Miami. Leonard's branding issues would probably be resolved either way, though the storylines would look at lot better for him leaving LA to go "home", so to speak rather than ditching them for another large market after driving them into the ground.

The key would be to not get sucked into any demands or drawn-out negotiations. Come correct, make your best offer and be ready to move on the moment the answer is not "yes".

The target order should be

1 - Giannis
    2 - Leonard
    3 - Collins overpay
    4 - George
    5 - DeRozan (for cheap)
    6 - OG overpay
    7 - Porter
    8 - Oubre
    9 - Duncan Robinson overpay
    10 - DeRozan (for not cheap)

Depending on how far down the list their top guy falls, they could probably get two of those players. More likely though, the would be better served signing one and trading for
    Oh man. People do not give you enough credit for your humor.

That joke the other day ... As if people would know who the Luc Richard is when abbreviated. That was classic.

Unsuspecting humor that catches people off guard.

Bravo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Antetokounmpo talk is insane, Conley to the Jazz was not unexpected, many of the others ended up sign and trades but their leaving their then in bent teams was not unexpected and the Spurs don't have the assets to trade for a superstar or star.

You always need a young or youngish centerpiece to pull that off and right now they lack that. White is the closest, but he's also already 26 and seems destined to top out in that nebulous zone between star and role player, a la Brogdon or Van Vleet.

White is in their class or capable, but because he's not as established, the Spurs are going to get luck and get him for probably 4/$60-70M, $15-25M less than they received.
    The unexpected part of the Conley trade was that Utah paid so much for him. Most had Conley as a clear negative due to his horrible contract.

I think Murray could be the centerpiece in a trade for a star. He's certainly not a good piece by my eye, but he has a good mid-sized contract for trading, which is important for in-season deals where neither team can afford to take back too many players to match salaries. Like Murray and Lyles for Gordon works without any other salary for example, and it's easier to take back than like White, Lyles and Mills. Sure they could do Gay instead, but that's an option the Spurs avoid with Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't help but notice that all of those players you listed as unexpected trades were free-agent signings that were reworked as sign-and-trades. Not that those couldn't happen for the Spurs, but they weren't really like the first two Butler trades or Conley. I think the Spurs might be able to pull off a Gobert trade, and there are mixed feelings about whether that would be a good thing. I could see John Collins this year too if he's upset about not getting an extension. Hopefully not Aaron Gordon though he's not a bad fit for the team. MAYBE Otto Porter.
    Good catch. It was a lazy check on my part. Surely there are other offseasons that there were players who were unexpectedly traded?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man. People do not give you enough credit for your humor.

That joke the other day ... As if people would know who the Luc Richard is when abbreviated. That was classic.

Unsuspecting humor that catches people off guard.

Bravo
    Mbah a Moute was a pretty common trade target back in his Milwaukee days. He made basically as much as Matt Bonner did, and the team lacked a defensive four to compliment Leonard. I doubt anyone besides maybe me used LRMaM, but I bet a lot of older folks on here knew I was talking about Luc when I typed that. They're pretty similar players in terms of body type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good catch. It was a lazy check on my part. Surely there are other offseasons that there were players who were unexpectedly traded?
    Yes, like Kawhi to Toronto and Paul to Houston. I think it'll be an unexpected team that gets Gobert this season and Embiid next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is Paul George for Oladipo a better example?

I need a better website that shows which trades didn't involve a sign and trade ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, like Kawhi to Toronto and Paul to Houston. I think it'll be an unexpected team that gets Gobert this season and Embiid next.
    Big yikes. Neither are that appealing.

But i guess it may be a marginal upgrade over having Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I need a better website that shows which trades didn't involve a sign and trade ...
    Yes, that's another great example, as was Philly getting Butler. Even Miami getting Dragic back in the day or Dallas getting KP a couple of years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big yikes. Neither are that appealing.

But i guess it may be a marginal upgrade over having Aldridge.
    I see Gobert as having a clear ceiling at this point, and it's hard to imagine winning with him as one of the top-paid players unless a team has great players on rookie deals. Embiid has the talent to be a franchise cornerstone, and I think he'll mature as he ages. The only issue with him is health with that in mind. I don't know if SA could get him, but if they managed to do so while keeping most of their current rotation, they'd be a top-three team in the West -- this season. He's that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1 - Giannis
    2 - Leonard
    3 - Collins overpay
    4 - George
    5 - DeRozan (for cheap)
    6 - OG overpay
    7 - Porter
    8 - Oubre

Depending on how far down the list their top guy falls, they could probably get two of those players. More likely though, the would be better served signing one and trading for
    I've been thinking about what they could do with a lot of cap space. Would you overpay for Jonathan Isaac, or even Lauri Markkanen? Sort of realistic targets, obviously you'd be hoping their teams wouldn't match and that there'd be some untapped potential there, but it's difficult to find too many names in next year's free agency who could move the needle for SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oladipo and Sabonis. I do think people took returning from double shoulder surgeries for granted, but if PG doesn't have a bounce back season this year, Sabonis could plausibly be the better player over the next five years. That'll be ages 30-35 for George, and 24-29 for Sabonis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been thinking about what they could do with a lot of cap space. Would you overpay for Jonathan Isaac, or even Lauri Markkanen? Sort of realistic targets, obviously you'd be hoping their teams wouldn't match and that there'd be some untapped potential there, but it's difficult to find too many names in next year's free agency who could move the needle for SA.
    I've seen Markkanen hyped up a lot, but I think Bulls fans are starting to realize his limitations. From what he's shown, I don't think I'd want to pay enough to snag him. Isaac's injury history is just too bad for me to want SA to toss in a huge contract. He could be the final piece to a great defense, but he'll've missed basically a year-and-a-half of basketball by the time he comes back. I wouldn't feel comfortable going there. I think Collins, OG and Robinson are all better bets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen Markkanen hyped up a lot, but I think Bulls fans are starting to realize his limitations. From what he's shown, I don't think I'd want to pay enough to snag him. Isaac's injury history is just too bad for me to want SA to toss in a huge contract. He could be the final piece to a great defense, but he'll've missed basically a year-and-a-half of basketball by the time he comes back. I wouldn't feel comfortable going there. I think Collins, OG and Robinson are all better bets
    Yeah either would be a huge risk. Isaac's been pretty bad his first two seasons but he's started to turn it around before his injury last season. He's becoming a more well rounded player , albeit in a small sample size. He'd also fit with everyone else seamlessly. His injuries are scary admittedly.

Markkanen, I don't like too much either and he's regressed the past season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I really liked the healthy Jonathan Isaac this year. He's improved steadily for three years and is only 23, but is set to miss this entire season after knee surgery, which means he might enter free agency not having played for a year. Great fit though, if the Spurs' medical team thinks he's fully recovered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically, there is a chance until there isn't a chance. I'm not betting on it, but it's ing nice to dream sometimes than be a bag like yourself.
    Yeah, let's just spend life in fantasy land, dreaming up impossible things that you can't even control.

The best chance this team has of moving forward successfully is basically building something from the ground up again....and then adding a big piece when its an enticing place to be again.

No huge player is coming here in free agency until that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dunc'd On just did their mock rookie contract extension podcast and Nate Duncan had White getting around $22 million per but he agreed to take 3 years $58 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, let's just spend life in fantasy land, dreaming up impossible things that you can't even control.

The best chance this team has of moving forward successfully is basically building something from the ground up again....and then adding a big piece when its an enticing place to be again.

No huge player is coming here in free agency until that
    I never said to plan around on Giannis coming here. Learn to ing read and stop being a Debbie Downer, holy . You boring .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50/4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The unexpected part of the Conley trade was that Utah paid so much for him. Most had Conley as a clear negative due to his horrible contract.

I think Murray could be the centerpiece in a trade for a star. He's certainly not a good piece by my eye, but he has a good mid-sized contract for trading, which is important for in-season deals where neither team can afford to take back too many players to match salaries. Like Murray and Lyles for Gordon works without any other salary for example, and it's easier to take back than like White, Lyles and Mills. Sure they could do Gay instead, but that's an option the Spurs avoid with Murray.
    Would LOVE to trade Dejounte. he is a dead end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    68/4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno if I have to be the one to mention Leonard's name first as a free-agent addition, but I'll go ahead. If the Clippers flame out again in embarrassing fashion, I could see something breaking in Kawhi's Kamp and him leaving LA. If he does and SA has money, a good young core and the pieces to trade for a second/third star, then they'd make as much sense as any. The only compe or would be Miami. Leonard's branding issues would probably be resolved either way, though the storylines would look at lot better for him leaving LA to go "home", so to speak rather than ditching them for another large market after driving them into the ground.

The key would be to not get sucked into any demands or drawn-out negotiations. Come correct, make your best offer and be ready to move on the moment the answer is not "yes".

1 - Giannis
    2 - Leonard
    3 - Collins overpay
    4 - George
    5 - DeRozan (for cheap)
    6 - OG overpay
    7 - Porter
    8 - Oubre

Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is cool to dream. Dreaming about Giannis could end this week if we hear news about his extension. That was always the most likeliest possibility. If he doesn't though? If he keeps posting subtle photos with fiesta colors like yesterday? Then how could you stop people from dreaming? People who don't dream are boring.

Giannis is loyal, he was loyal to freaking Jason Kidd who ed up his development imo, now he's loyal to Bud. If Bud was to tell him i'm going to the Spurs next season come with me, i bet he would come to us. This highly unlikely scenario can only come to fruition through Bud and only him otherwise Giannis is staying in Milwaukee. I don't see Giannis going to the Lakers ever, the Heat probably because of his friend Bam but that's about it. Only the Heat have a realistic chance and i put us as second only because of Bud.

Thread Information