Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it get done? What does it look like? 2 way player, no real flaws in his game - can shoot, create, facilitate, defend at high level. High end starter on a contender. 4yrs/$80? Bit more, bit less? 3 years for more per year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supermax, imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 years/65 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less than $25 mil a year is ideal. That way we can have cap space for Giannis next year. Giannis went back to Milwaukee yesterday and still no word of him signing the extension with them... Hmmm.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could get an offer sheet close to mid 20s per next offseason IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't this just a repeat of the White Watch thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love it of course if it happened, but I just don't see a Giannis-to-San-Antonio scenario-- there are so many other more likely options, like joining forces with Doncic in Dallas, joining an already good team in Miami or Toronto, or teams with budding stars like Memphis, New Orleans, teams in major markets, etc... The question I've been wondering about is who might the Spurs specifically be targeting in '21. I suppose if guys like KJ and Walker had crazy breakout years, it might change the equation, but I'm not counting on any top free agents considering the Spurs. The younger lower tier one I really liked before his most recent injury was Jonathan Isaac. I'd love someone like Sabonis, but it looks like Indiana will stick with him. The guy that looks the most plausible is John Collins-- one of my least favorite options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If our guys surprise and make some noise, why not? Giannis could say he’s the missing piece that takes Spurs back to the finals. And he’s familiar with Spurs system with under Coach Bud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less than $25 mil a year is ideal. That way we can have cap space for Giannis next year. Giannis went back to Milwaukee yesterday and still no word of him signing the extension with them... Hmmm.....
    What ing drugs are you on?

There's literally 0 chance of Giannis coming here.

None.

Some of you are weird

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever Forbes got minus a million. The dude was clearly worse than Forbes and nothing more than a bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What ing drugs are you on?

There's literally 0 chance of Giannis coming here.

None.

Some of you are weird
    Technically, there is a chance until there isn't a chance. I'm not betting on it, but it's ing nice to dream sometimes than be a bag like yourself.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-30-2020 at 10:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should play it close & see if White can really make the next step. So far, all three guards (yes, including DeJounte) show glimmers of what the could be. Ye,t they all stumbled at different points last season & no one emerged as a true building block (or star).

I think Derrick is the best of the bunch, but he's also the oldest & could possibly be flipped for a first-round pick if they don't deem him as building piece (on a rebuilding team).

Hopefully Pop actually gives all 5 guards/wings the minutes & room to show more than last season. We can't keep all of them & we need one, two or three to emerge as legitimate contributors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love it of course if it happened, but I just don't see a Giannis-to-San-Antonio scenario-- there are so many other more likely options, like joining forces with Doncic in Dallas, joining an already good team in Miami or Toronto, or teams with budding stars like Memphis, New Orleans, teams in major markets, etc... The question I've been wondering about is who might the Spurs specifically be targeting in '21. I suppose if guys like KJ and Walker had crazy breakout years, it might change the equation, but I'm not counting on any top free agents considering the Spurs. The younger lower tier one I really liked before his most recent injury was Jonathan Isaac. I'd love someone like Sabonis, but it looks like Indiana will stick with him. The guy that looks the most plausible is John Collins-- one of my least favorite options.
    All good points, let's play devil's advocate:

Dallas - doubt Giannis is at that age to want to share the spotlight (with a star who shines brighter than him)

Miami - I don't believe they have a max contract to offer. He would have to take a paycut. I'm not sure Giannis' personality really meshes well with Jimmy's.

Toronto - does he want to follow Nephew's shadow? Is that supporting cast really a good fit for him? He seems to duplicate Siakam's skills...

Memphis & New Orleans ? Are we kidding ourselves here? Seems like lesser type organizations with nothing to offer.

When you say teams with major markets, you only mean the Knicks right? They're the only one with cap space, I believe. If he goes to the Knicks, his career will go into the dumpster like Melo's...

Spurs? Coach Bud probably talks highly of Pop all day to Giannis. Core group is the same age as him. Being from Greece, he probably idolized the Spurs growing up. Giannis is unselfish and gives a lot to the community, he probably sees the Spurs values and loves it. Seems like a major coincidence that the way the roster has been constructed is with a hole at the 4 spot, where Giannis perfectly fits in.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-30-2020 at 10:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dallas - doubt Giannis is at that age to want to share the spotlight (with a star who shines brighter than him)

Miami - I don't believe they have a max contract to offer. He would have to take a paycut. I'm not sure Giannis' personality really meshes well with Jimmy's.

Toronto - does he want to follow Nephew's shadow? Is that supporting cast really a good fit for him? He seems to duplicate Siakam's skills...

Memphis & New Orleans ? Are we kidding ourselves here? Seems like lesser type organizations with nothing to offer.

When you say teams with major markets, you only mean the Knicks right? They're the only one with cap space, I believe. If he goes to the Knicks, his career will go into the dumpster like Melo's...

Spurs? Coach Bud probably talks highly of him all day to Giannis. Core group is the same age as him. Being from Greece, he probably idolized the Spurs growing up. Giannis is unselfish and gives a lot to the community, he probably sees the Spurs values and loves it. Seems like a major coincidence that the way the roster has been constructed is with a hole at the 4 spot, where Giannis perfectly fits in.
    On what planet or league is Doncic a bigger/"brighter" star than Giannis?

Doesn't Giannis have his own signature shoe, major endorsement deals & he's one of the highest vote getters during all - star voting while playing in a small market?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supermax, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On what planet or league is Doncic a bigger/"brighter" star than Giannis?

Doesn't Giannis have his own signature shoe, major endorsement deals & he's one of the highest vote getters during all - star voting while playing in a small market?
    Doncic, 2nd place in votes behind LeBron. I don't see Dallas as some big market team.

If Giannis was a brighter star, his time is over. (Relative to Doncic)

I don't even think the sales for his shoes are doing well.

Hulu is the only significant sponsor that i see. Which major endorsement deal are you talking about?
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-30-2020 at 10:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs? Coach Bud probably talks highly of Pop all day to Giannis. Core group is the same age as him. Being from Greece, he probably idolized the Spurs growing up. Giannis is unselfish and gives a lot to the community, he probably sees the Spurs values and loves it. Seems like a major coincidence that the way the roster has been constructed is with a hole at the 4 spot, where Giannis perfectly fits in.
    I worry that Giannis will follow other recent stars and go to one of the LA teams. But, to add to your point about Giannis possibly coming to S.A., You would think Giannis would be impressed how the Spurs have made foreign players like Manu and Tony into star players.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We couldn’t even get Morris to come here after agreeing. So I hope all the energy on this board isn’t fixated on Giannis. Cool to dream, but not a strategy to build around. They should probably do the opposite, in theory, and see if there is a strategy of how to take advantage of the market with teams deluding themselves into Waiting for Giannis. But I digress.

As for White, until he plays for Becky next year, I’m reserving judgment on what his ceiling is. Extend him, yes, but I wonder if he will be prioritized better under the next coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can create a max, you do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We couldn’t even get Morris to come here after agreeing. So I hope all the energy on this board isn’t fixated on Giannis. Cool to dream, but not a strategy to build around. They should probably do the opposite, in theory, and see if there is a strategy of how to take advantage of the market with teams deluding themselves into Waiting for Giannis. But I digress.

As for White, until he plays for Becky next year, I’m reserving judgment on what his ceiling is. Extend him, yes, but I wonder if he will be prioritized better under the next coach.
    It is cool to dream. Dreaming about Giannis could end this week if we hear news about his extension. That was always the most likeliest possibility. If he doesn't though? If he keeps posting subtle photos with fiesta colors like yesterday? Then how could you stop people from dreaming? People who don't dream are boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is cool to dream. Dreaming about Giannis could end this week if we hear news about his extension. That was always the most likeliest possibility. If he doesn't though? If he keeps posting subtle photos with fiesta colors like yesterday? Then how could you stop people from dreaming? People who don't dream are boring.

We gotta speak it into existence...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We gotta speak it into existence...
    facts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good points.

*I don't know Giannis's mind, but I'm sure he's smart enough to see the power of the LeBron/AD duo and know that tackling that solo will be difficult. If Giannis could focus 100% on defense and share the offensive burden with Doncic, it would be deadly.

*I agree that Jimmy Butler has a strong personality, and that could deter some. But man, the defense of a Giannis-Bam-Butler trio would be nuts.

*Worrying about following Kawhi is an obsession for Spurs' fans. I don't think it would mean much to anyone else.

*Ja and Zion are upcoming probable stars, and could be seen as good #2 options.

I just don't see Giannis feeling a special or unique connection for San Antonio... again, I don't know his mind but it's a small town vibe, and it's in Texas. Bigger more metropolitan cities are more like Athens, have more African culture, more African Americans, more culture generally. Trust me, if I'm wrong I will be thrilled. It's just not a bet I see as having legs.

Who's target #2 & #3 for you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points.

*I don't know Giannis's mind, but I'm sure he's smart enough to see the power of the LeBron/AD duo and know that tackling that solo will be difficult. If Giannis could focus 100% on defense and share the offensive burden with Doncic, it would be deadly.

*I agree that Jimmy Butler has a strong personality, and that could deter some. But man, the defense of a Giannis-Bam-Butler trio would be nuts.

*Worrying about following Kawhi is an obsession for Spurs' fans. I don't think it would mean much to anyone else.

*Ja and Zion are upcoming probable stars, and could be seen as good #2 options.

I just don't see Giannis feeling a special or unique connection for San Antonio... again, I don't know his mind but it's a small town vibe, and it's in Texas. Bigger more metropolitan cities are more like Athens, have more African culture, more African Americans, more culture generally. Trust me, if I'm wrong I will be thrilled. It's just not a bet I see as having legs.

Who's target #2 & #3 for you?
    Target #2 and #3 are trades for me.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...nsactions.html

Unexpected trades happen all the time.

Mike Conley to the Jazz was an unexpected trade. We can pull something like that off.

Brogdon, Jimmy Butler, Kemba, Durant were all unexpected trades. We have the assets to pull off a trade for players like these.

There's usually players out there we won't know are available until they're traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno if I have to be the one to mention Leonard's name first as a free-agent addition, but I'll go ahead. If the Clippers flame out again in embarrassing fashion, I could see something breaking in Kawhi's Kamp and him leaving LA. If he does and SA has money, a good young core and the pieces to trade for a second/third star, then they'd make as much sense as any. The only compe or would be Miami. Leonard's branding issues would probably be resolved either way, though the storylines would look at lot better for him leaving LA to go "home", so to speak rather than ditching them for another large market after driving them into the ground.

The key would be to not get sucked into any demands or drawn-out negotiations. Come correct, make your best offer and be ready to move on the moment the answer is not "yes".

The target order should be

1 - Giannis
    2 - Leonard
    3 - Collins overpay
    4 - George
    5 - DeRozan (for cheap)
    6 - OG overpay
    7 - Porter
    8 - Oubre
    9 - Duncan Robinson overpay
    10 - DeRozan (for not cheap)

Depending on how far down the list their top guy falls, they could probably get two of those players. More likely though, the would be better served signing one and trading for

Thread Information