Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to the absolute truth.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I joined this forum because I disliked Lakers and Duncan was their best rival. That developed into the 2010's with Dirk, Rose and James

I might overate Duncan. But I love ACC, respect the "Final Postman" and want more of that Defensive Dynasty with Foreigners.

Didn't repeat. Best consistency of this Era shares seat with Patriots. Tim Duncan starts at the 5 for my All Time Team.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2007 was a bit rigged and I think spurraider21 will agree, but the Spurs were likely cheated out of 2-3 other les due to refs in the Duncan era so there's definitely that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2007 was a bit rigged and I think spurraider21 will agree, but the Spurs were likely cheated out of 2-3 other les due to refs in the Duncan era so there's definitely that.
    How was it rigged?
    The brawl?

I mean the rules clearly state you can't leave the nech during a fight

Unless I missed something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How was it rigged?
    The brawl?

I mean the rules clearly state you can't leave the nech during a fight

Unless I missed something
    Again, statute over cir stance being the ultimate cancer. Especially when you're talking about the ultimate do-or-die game between the best two teams in the league (well, 2 of the best 3, but the other had been eliminated in the previous round)

The objective truth was that it was a hard foul, flop or not, and it was only a few steps. Ridiculous rule that was discarded later, just like Jim Caldwell of the Detroit Lions throwing the challenge flag on the Thanksgiving game play that was obviously incorrectly ruled a score but they had that ridiculous rule that you couldn't throw a challenge flag on a scoring play and you would get penalized AND the play would stand. Another ridiculous rule that was quickly discarded by the commissioner.

Then you have the games themselves which were very much anti-Phoenix in the calls, especially games 3-6.

Then, you have the fluke of the Spurs' arch nemesis, the team they could not beat all year or the previous year, getting upset in humiliating fashion by the only 1 out of 29 teams that could have possibly beaten them (maybe the Suns would have had the next best chance, but the refs always favored the Ponies hard in the Suns-Ponies meetings, and Dogface in his prime was arguably worse than prime-Durant in terms of flopping and getting unnecessary trips to the free throw line)... which, along with Rasheed Wallace and the Pistons' temperamental implosion when they were the better team vs. Cleveland, gave the Spurs one of the easiest paths to the championship in history (1999 was another one of those).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a hard foul, but wasn't Horry suspended?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a hard foul, but wasn't Horry suspended?
    Yeah. Trade a pawn for a knight and a queen and see how your opponent likes you. Fair is fair, huh?

That was rigged. In the regular season, I could see it. Game 5 between the best two remaining teams in the NBA with the series at 2-2? Make the exception now, Mr. Stern, the proper solution was to suspend them for the first game of the 07-08 season; let the best players play on the biggest stage, unless it's something egregious: in the Ron Artest category per se, which it clearly wasn't.

Considering how close Game 5 was with Amare and Bobo out, how low scoring of a game it was; and how the Spurs won game 6 with all hands on deck; the series likely would have come down to a very close game 7 in Phoenix without the bogus suspensions... advantage Phoenix, but that would have been an epic way to win the championship by Duncan and the Spurs, instead of barely winning (losing most of the game actually) against a hapless, angry, decimated opponent in that game 5 en route to a boring, lifeless championship. Took the easy way out.

Duncan never won a repeat le and he never won a road game 7 en route to a le, those will always sting his legacy a bit IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context.
    The Malice in the Palace with Ape Meta Artest was still recent enough. Stern continued to snuff out anything even resembling the start of a brawl that could involve fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Trade a pawn for a knight and a queen and see how your opponent likes you. Fair is fair, huh?

That was rigged. In the regular season, I could see it. Game 5 between the best two remaining teams in the NBA with the series at 2-2? Make the exception now, Mr. Stern, the proper solution was to suspend them for the first game of the 07-08 season; let the best players play on the biggest stage, unless it's something egregious: in the Ron Artest category per se, which it clearly wasn't.

Considering how close Game 5 was with Amare and Bobo out, how low scoring of a game it was; and how the Spurs won game 6 with all hands on deck; the series likely would have come down to a very close game 7 in Phoenix without the bogus suspensions... advantage Phoenix, but that would have been an epic way to win the championship by Duncan and the Spurs, instead of barely winning (losing most of the game actually) against a hapless, angry, decimated opponent in that game 5 en route to a boring, lifeless championship. Took the easy way out.

Duncan never won a repeat le and he never won a road game 7 en route to a le, those will always sting his legacy a bit IMO.
    So applying rules subjectively based on what you feel is more fair than having clear rules and enforcing them? Not sure I follow that logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So applying rules subjectively based on what you feel is more fair than having clear rules and enforcing them? Not sure I follow that logic.
    2007 was an asterisk period, more so than 1999, although that was an easy path too (forget the shortened season part, at least it was a legitimate season unlike 2020) at least in 1999 they didn't get help from the league and the "easy path" was more about poor compe ion league wide [i.e. post Jordan hangover] as opposed to the Spurs getting bailed out by, not only getting help from the league against Phoenix, but also completely dodging the other two teams in the league that would have beaten them (Dallas would have beaten the 07 Spurs in 5, ftr) by sheer unlikely luck tbh.

2007 will always be the least impressive of the Duncan era Spurs les. 2003, 2014, 2005 the best, probably in that order in terms of what they had roster wise vs. who they had to face in the playoffs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Cherish those memories, every single Fat Antonio fan alive today won't be around to see their team ring again. Sad but true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cherish those memories, every single Fat Antonio fan alive today won't be around to see their team ring again. Sad but true.
    You gots spouted that after your rigged MVPau for Kwame scam was completed.
    2014 and Timmy Dunks shoved it right up your ass.

So get a life and enjoy your LakerRef Pride parades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm set for life with the Spurs winning 5. Small markets hardly win and the Spurs getting to win 5 was amazing. If the Spurs never win again I'm good.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine being a lakers fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm set for life with the Spurs winning 5. Small markets hardly win and the Spurs getting to win 5 was amazing. If the Spurs never win again I'm good.
    Imagine being a fan of the current world champs and spending time making posts about a franchise that is suppose to be "irrelevant" to you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine being a fan of the current world champs and spending time making posts about a franchise that is suppose to be "irrelevant" to you.
    Any Laker fan that was old enough to remember the Duncan era will always remember the Spurs le teams no matter how much they want to belittle them. They had an emotional investment during the Duncan era to see the Spurs fail since it was always about Kobe having more rings then Duncan.

I also think Laker fans are bored. Their current le had no memorable series or opponents. Those les tend to be empty. It kind of reminds me of '07 of how easy the Spurs had it that it wasn't as fulfilling as the other previous les.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any Laker fan that was old enough to remember the Duncan era will always remember the Spurs le teams no matter how much they want to belittle them. They had an emotional investment during the Duncan era to see the Spurs fail since it was always about Kobe having more rings then Duncan.

I also think Laker fans are bored. Their current le had no memorable series or opponents. Those les tend to be empty. It kind of reminds me of '07 of how easy the Spurs had it that it wasn't as fulfilling as the other previous les.
    Their '10 le was pretty memorable because it looked bleak at times vs Phoenix and the Celtics in the playoffs that year. '09 was mostly a cake walk. '20 doesn't count at all. '02 was a league/refjob. '00 they got extremely lucky that the Blazers went ice cold at the worst possible time, really an analytical improbability. '01 they were a buzzsaw with an edge that wouldn't lose no matter what, sort of like the '99 or '14 Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and the Raptors are still world champs tbh. The quarantine playoffs was an exhibition tournament.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The '07 Spurs, as boring/unfulfilling as that le was (in an otherwise fantastic regular season and first round that year across the NBA) doesn't compare in any way to the 2020 quarantine tournament which was basically exhibition, holding less weight than say, a FIBA/summer league tourney.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The '07 Spurs, as boring/unfulfilling as that le was (in an otherwise fantastic regular season and first round that year across the NBA) doesn't compare in any way to the 2020 quarantine tournament which was basically exhibition, holding less weight than say, a FIBA/summer league tourney.
    Lakers lost home court advantage and a starter going to the bubble but somehow it got easier. Ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers lost home court advantage and a starter going to the bubble but somehow it got easier. Ok
    This tbh

people who think it's easier in the bubble, smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their '10 le was pretty memorable because it looked bleak at times vs Phoenix and the Celtics in the playoffs that year. '09 was mostly a cake walk. '20 doesn't count at all. '02 was a league/refjob. '00 they got extremely lucky that the Blazers went ice cold at the worst possible time, really an analytical improbability. '01 they were a buzzsaw with an edge that wouldn't lose no matter what, sort of like the '99 or '14 Spurs.
    I think the '10 le would be the favorite le of any Laker fan who is in the age range of 18-40. It was the le that gave Kobe 5 and put him ahead of Shaq in their eyes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they got extremely lucky that the Blazers went ice cold at the worst possible time.
    lol is that luck, it's a cold streak, happens ot every team reguarly

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Subtract one for asterisk, any le that wasn't defended counts for half.

Duncan 2

Thread Information