Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that PATFO tends to overvalue their players. The facts that they asked for too much from teams inquiring about LA and DeRozan is that they never intended on trading them unless a team made them an offer they couldn't say no to.
    How much then. Where do you draw the line. You want say... a Boston 1st. Probably gonna be pick 25-30. But you’ll have to take back around 8-10 million for that exception to work.

I’d rather have the cap space than the late pick and be strapped with 2-3 years of a mediocre players 10 million dollar contract.

Can you cite a source that returns a top 14 pick? Because that’s my cutoff. If we have to absorb a contract I want a top 14. I don’t see that coming from anywhere for free.

It’s as if some here think we can land a respectable prospect and pick for either of these guys. Maybe one will materialize but I don’t see it on the table. At best you’re looking at a very late 1st and role player on an unappealing contract.

Making a trade just to move bodies around is stupid. Especially if it costs you financial freedom later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, tbh. Pro-tanking fans are so quick to mention how this or that team just HAS to blow it up, like there's some hurry to do so instead of trying to let things run their natural course - all whilst ignoring the absolute mul ude of times teams have tanked consistently, only to come up empty-handed. If the Lakers weren't in LA, they'd be looking at a near 10 year playoff drought right now, but sure, tanking is The Way for every team that's slightly below championship level. Just blow it up and draft an MVP or two! Ain't that hard...
    I was thinking about starting a multi-million dollar business out of my garage. Then it hit me, why waste my time with something so flighty? Why not instead start a multi-billion dollar business?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see contrary opinions I have followed Spurs 30 plus years and will still root for them regardless of the fact I think FO will act in desperation rather than with strategy based on last few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA is a terrible team to use as a cautionary tale against tanking. The just flat suck at player development. Randle, Ingram, and DLo have all made great strides since leaving, and both DLo and Ingram each have an ASG selection on their resume. There are plenty of reasons not to tank, but the LAL incompetence at PD isn’t one of them.
    OK then use the Pelicans, or the Cavaliers sans Lebron, or , pick one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was to worried about trump

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just can’t put the stupidity aside and participate like a normal human being. So typical of your kind. You’ve long been the most pathetic poster here. I’ve never seen a legitimate take from you. Same less bot you’ve always been.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hes been talking about Donald Trump since 2016 but go ahead. Continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You novice, that's not how tanking works. No one would ever tell players to intentionally lose, it's more of an organizational direction, like the Thunder who've set themselves up to do so for a while.
    Sure, because players just can't see that the "organizational direction" is to intentionally lose...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid offseason IMO.
    -Got rid of 1-way vets who were clogging wing minutes
    -Waived Metu & Zeller to free up roster spots for potential NBA players
    -Signed Eubanks, who looks like he could be a backup C to a 3 year contract with only 1 year guaranteed.
    -Drafted the player with arguably the highest floor in the draft at 11 in a weak draft to solidify our wing rotation.
    -Signed Poeltl, a starting calibre Centre who can anchor an elite defense to a very reasonable contract relative to others at his position.
    -Signed Jones, who looks to be one of the likeliest 2nd rounders in the draft to play.
    -Took a no risk flyer on Kieta Bates-Diop

Extend White & that's a decent offseason

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have my rummpd days, tbh

one championship (thanks timmay :'-D ) since 2008 ... 12 years and looking like another 12 before lobt is a consideration

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still need a 6'8"-6'9" true 3 or combo forward. Options?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still need a 6'8"-6'9" true 3 or combo forward. Options?
    There seems to be several expected to go in the lottery

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid offseason IMO.
    -Got rid of 1-way vets who were clogging wing minutes
    -Waived Metu & Zeller to free up roster spots for potential NBA players
    -Signed Eubanks, who looks like he could be a backup C to a 3 year contract with only 1 year guaranteed.
    -Drafted the player with arguably the highest floor in the draft at 11 in a weak draft to solidify our wing rotation.
    -Signed Poeltl, a starting calibre Centre who can anchor an elite defense to a very reasonable contract relative to others at his position.
    -Signed Jones, who looks to be one of the likeliest 2nd rounders in the draft to play.
    -Took a no risk flyer on Kieta Bates-Diop

Extend White & that's a decent offseason
    Add on "preserved 2021 cap space by not taking on long-term money". Waiting until next offseason to extend White helps preserve some of that cap space.

Just like how the Spurs put Number Two's extension off to keep enough room to sign Aldridge. Number Two went off the deep end later, but if that delay is what set him off then he was always going to out. He ended up doing just that anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add on "preserved 2021 cap space by not taking on long-term money". Waiting until next offseason to extend White helps preserve some of that cap space.

Just like how the Spurs put Number Two's extension off to keep enough room to sign Aldridge. Number Two went off the deep end later, but if that delay is what set him off then he was always going to out. He ended up doing just that anyway.
    He signed the max contract with Brian Elfus in 2015, a year before Dennis tookover. Dennis wanted the commission from endorsements as they don't have a cap on what he can take, unlike playing salary, which is capped at 4%. Easier to market corny slogans, 'Fun Guy', 'Board man gets paid', 'Kawhi Not', 'What it do, baby', 'My City' in LA when you can't market yourself with the media & don't have a social media account.
    Last edited by Down Under; 12-02-2020 at 10:55 PM.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You novice, that's not how tanking works. No one would ever tell players to intentionally lose, it's more of an organizational direction, like the Thunder who've set themselves up to do so for a while.
    I think it would look like starting Bryn for a whole season, then letting him go for nothing.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always a good thing to keep in mind: hardly anyone wants to go to San Antonio, the nightlife isn't comparable to LA/MIA/NY, Pop's system isn't for everyone, owners are penny-pinchers. Don't be surprised if draft picks leave, blue chip players prefer to go elsewhere, or if the FO overpays players just to stay. Not surprising yes, but whether the past few blunders are right decisions is largely up for debate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always a good thing to keep in mind: hardly anyone wants to go to San Antonio, the nightlife isn't comparable to LA/MIA/NY, Pop's system isn't for everyone, owners are penny-pinchers. Don't be surprised if draft picks leave, blue chip players prefer to go elsewhere, or if the FO overpays players just to stay. Not surprising yes, but whether the past few blunders are right decisions is largely up for debate.
    Agreed. If the Spurs ever get lucky and draft a top 5 player it will be hard to keep that player. Robinson-Duncan were not your typical superstars both were college educated, and were not into the night life that's a big reason why they never left. Both of them also had great maturity which is something a lot of today's superstar's lack ala Durant,Harden,etc. The odds of the Spurs getting that type of superstar again is not that high. I enjoyed the 5 les the Spurs won and accepted it as a once in lifetime deal. If the Spurs ever win another le that would be like playing with house money for me. My expectations are low. All I want is just an exciting team to watch. This current group seems like they can fit the bill.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have been relevant only because of Duncan so the draft of a unique individual. San Antonio is not an attractive destination so even with a good FO, you won’t get the best players through free agency or trades. Lamarcus type player is the best you can hope for. So, you’ll have to wait for another Duncan, which is statistically really low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im willing to give the benefit of the doubt if their is a sensible strategy for transition to the next era and they actually execute on it this season. E.g., if this is an year to focus on youth, then Pop best not bury them on the bench. Or if the strategy is to suck and acquire assets/be dumping ground, then let’s see them be aggressive at the trade deadline with the vets.

What will be frustrating is waffling between approaches, leading to both missing the playoffs and a middling draft pick. This, especially in the backdrop of COVID limiting playoff gate revenue anyway. I personally think this is the year to suck (Covid, good draft class), but what I’m looking for is a clear theory of the case towards with the transition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Poops system” == Having Duncan Manu and Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The over-estimation of the poorly matched and overall constructed talent on this team is unreal. Spurs have a few erratic promising young players that in at least two cases (Murray and White) have not reached potential (either due to injuries, coaching or whatever); and then the majority that are just average at best NBA players, and two aging stars that don't match each other and neither shows leadership or stretches the floor. They got a good draft pick but likely will be buried on the bench. FO has been a joke for at least three years. Several teams in West are on the move up while the Spurs show no sign of joining them. Hope I am wrong, but with this coach much more likely to try to placate veterans then let the few potential better than average NBA players (that are young) develop - it is not likely I am.
    White hasn't reached potential? He was our third best player last year and on pace to get a nice contract from us or somebody else.

Sometimes I feel like folks just inhabit a separate universe than I do.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Waived ... Zeller
    Isn't Zeller still on the roster?
    IMO, the highest floor went 12th in the draft. It's Vassell's upside that I like.

Otherwise, good take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs won the 2020 NBA le, by a lot!

! This claim about basketball fraud is disputed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well at least we aren't the Rockets am I right Dejounte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh. I like to think I have a long fuse, but OP is going on ignore. There is only so much incessant ing and whining I can take.

...and yet I still read this board so that can't be that true, can it?
    Umm, not sure what to say, but I'll go with OP is a gott. That's worked in the past on here.

Thread Information