Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media and fans fed them the narrative they are Millionaire slaves. This isn't your 90's black athlete.
    Agreed. I understood the anger Scottie Pippen had back in the day when he was severely underpaid. They were other guys like Malone who were also underpaid. So I got it when those guys complained about the unfairness of their situation. This current generation is just hateable. They have it too good. Not only do they get paid but they get fame more easily than players in the previous era. They also don't have to deal with harsh criticism from the media when they don't win. This is why I don't respect them because I feel a lot of their problems are just imaginary.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Agreed. I understood the anger Scottie Pippen had back in the day when he was severely underpaid. They were other guys like Malone who were also underpaid. So I got it when those guys complained about the unfairness of their situation. This current generation is just hateable. They have it too good. Not only do they get paid but they get fame more easily than players in the previous era. They also don't have to deal with harsh criticism from the media when they don't win. This is why I don't respect them because I feel a lot of their problems are just imaginary.
    i mostly agreed with everything until the bolded part

thats just ridiculous, the criticism for losing these days is far worse than ever

the majority of people consider malone to be #2 or #3 PF ever. but if pulled the same chokejobs and made an entire career off of finishing stocktons pocket passes like he did in his day, but instead in the modern league? no way anyone considers him even a top 5 PF ever he would get roasted so bad. he would basically be regarded the same as a guy like westbrook - a stat padding loser

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thats just ridiculous, the criticism for losing these days is far worse than ever

the majority of people consider malone to be #2 or #3 PF ever. but if pulled the same chokejobs and made an entire career off of finishing stocktons pocket passes like he did in his day, but instead in the modern league? no way anyone considers him even a top 5 PF ever he would get roasted so bad. he would basically be regarded the same as a guy like westbrook - a stat padding loser
    Malone might have been kicked out of the league in this era for raping a kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know how casual fans view Malone but I know on most message boards he gets ranked somewhere between 3-5. I have seen guys rank Duncan,Dirk,KG all ahead of him. Malone got crucified pretty badly for his choke jobs in '97 and '98. I remember the national media clowning him when Scottie Pippen went up to him at the free throw line in game 1 of the '97 finals with the game being on the line saying "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays." Giannis has failed twice despite having back to back MVPs but even the criticism he has faced is kind of tame considering what he would have faced back then. The media still views him as a top 3 player despite his choke jobs. You haven't heard national media say he didn't deserve his 2 MVP awards. They would have definitely said it back then had he failed to win a le in back to back years when he won the MVP. So who knows maybe Malone get's Giannis treatment.

Who can also forget this interview

I felt the interviews the players had to do back then were a lot more tougher. You didn't have journalists trying to be their friends. They had to actually answer difficult questions like this interview with Jim Grey.

I can't imagine a reporter having the galls to go at a player like Westbrook today and call him out on his selfish play or actually question Kawhi when it comes to his load management bs. I remember players always complaining about how much they hated Bill Walton's criticism back then. The only talking head I feel that really gets to these players today is Skip Bayless and his act is mainly with Lebron. Overall though guys like Jim Rome were much worse back then when they went in on the players. I will never forget him calling David Robinson the "Little mermaid" and it sticking for a long time until the Spurs won a le. I remember back when I was in hschool seeing the media just came down hard on the Spurs when they got swept by the Lakers. They called both Tim and David soft and weak.

The only thing I feel the players have it worse today is social media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook's legacy is going to be pretty simple-- other stars didn't like playing with him. Durant left him, Paul George left him, and Harden didn't want to give it more than one season. His style of play is inefficient and exhausting to deal with, and he'll probably be happier putting up bigger numbers on a losing team in Washington.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Rockets did alright considering how ed their draft situation is for the foreseeable future.

Still getting skull ed once again should they meet dem Lakers in the playoffs

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rocket fans everywhere are really happy with the way Tilman is running this franchise let me tell you

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I don't know how casual fans view Malone but I know on most message boards he gets ranked somewhere between 3-5. I have seen guys rank Duncan,Dirk,KG all ahead of him. Malone got crucified pretty badly for his choke jobs in '97 and '98. I remember the national media clowning him when Scottie Pippen went up to him at the free throw line in game 1 of the '97 finals with the game being on the line saying "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays." Giannis has failed twice despite having back to back MVPs but even the criticism he has faced is kind of tame considering what he would have faced back then. The media still views him as a top 3 player despite his choke jobs. You haven't heard national media say he didn't deserve his 2 MVP awards. They would have definitely said it back then had he failed to win a le in back to back years when he won the MVP. So who knows maybe Malone get's Giannis treatment.

Who can also forget this interview

I felt the interviews the players had to do back then were a lot more tougher. You didn't have journalists trying to be their friends. They had to actually answer difficult questions like this interview with Jim Grey.

I can't imagine a reporter having the galls to go at a player like Westbrook today and call him out on his selfish play or actually question Kawhi when it comes to his load management bs. I remember players always complaining about how much they hated Bill Walton's criticism back then. The only talking head I feel that really gets to these players today is Skip Bayless and his act is mainly with Lebron. Overall though guys like Jim Rome were much worse back then when they went in on the players. I will never forget him calling David Robinson the "Little mermaid" and it sticking for a long time until the Spurs won a le. I remember back when I was in hschool seeing the media just came down hard on the Spurs when they got swept by the Lakers. They called both Tim and David soft and weak.

The only thing I feel the players have it worse today is social media.
    I don't disagree that there seemed to be more of the occasional reporters that would piss off a player badly back then, but let's not act like it was the norm and that half the reporters were doing that.

and skip isn't the only person who will say stupid crap to get a rise out of players, he just does it for an obnoxious degree that almost no one has ever tried. but plenty of other reporters are very opinionated and critical.

personally, it wouldn't surprise me if giannis is being given a bit of a pass because of all the BLM and civil unrest going on, and most people don't wanna rock the boat

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree that there seemed to be more of the occasional reporters that would piss off a player badly back then, but let's not act like it was the norm and that half the reporters were doing that.

and skip isn't the only person who will say stupid crap to get a rise out of players, he just does it for an obnoxious degree that almost no one has ever tried. but plenty of other reporters are very opinionated and critical.

personally, it wouldn't surprise me if giannis is being given a bit of a pass because of all the BLM and civil unrest going on, and most people don't wanna rock the boat
    It was pretty much the norm back then. Players hated addressing the media back then more so than today because the questions were not going to be loaded with softball questions. I grew up in Charlotte during the 90's so I remember even the tough questions local media would ask to the players. I remember Alonzo Mourning cursing them out on a few occasions. That's how tough the questioning was back then.

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Houston gets rid of the cancer before the cancer got rid of the rest of the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston gets rid of the cancer before the cancer got rid of the rest of the team
    Yeah but they brought in AIDS

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but they brought in AIDS
    AIDS is manageable, tho. Cancer varies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: Malone vs Giannis treatment

Giannis is still young while Malone in 97 and 98 was already a 10+ year vieteran

Also Malone had other choke jobs prior to 1997

In game 6 of the 1992 WCF, he got hus ass handed to him by Buck WIlliams in the 4th quarter

Stockton also bailed him out in that 4th quarter in game 6 vs Houston in 1997

The media also gave MJ a pass before his 1st le despite well do ented choke jobs and faiures

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AIDS is manageable, tho. Cancer varies.
    Didn't say HIV man, Wall is full blown AIDS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: Malone vs Giannis treatment

Giannis is still young while Malone in 97 and 98 was already a 10+ year vieteran

Also Malone had other choke jobs prior to 1997

In game 6 of the 1992 WCF, he got hus ass handed to him by Buck WIlliams in the 4th quarter

Stockton also bailed him out in that 4th quarter in game 6 vs Houston in 1997

The media also gave MJ a pass before his 1st le despite well do ented choke jobs and faiures
    I don't remember the 80's since I was way too young back then. I only remember the 90's. I have read some 80's literature and talked to older people but the common theme from the media during the 80's was MJ was a Russell Westbrook player that didn't make his teammate better and had a style of play that could never win. I don't believe he did get pass for his failures. Hence his jealousy and hatred early on his career of Magic Johnson when he was quoted saying Magic won because he had better teammates than he did.

Shaq was also young in '95 when he got his ass busted by Hakeem but he still got clowned for getting swept.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Get Mines crew doing crew stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember the 80's since I was way too young back then. I only remember the 90's. I have read some 80's literature and talked to older people but the common theme from the media during the 80's was MJ was a Russell Westbrook player that didn't make his teammate better and had a style of play that could never win. I don't believe he did get pass for his failures. Hence his jealousy and hatred early on his career of Magic Johnson when he was quoted saying Magic won because he had better teammates than he did.

Shaq was also young in '95 when he got his ass busted by Hakeem but he still got clowned for getting swept.
    Maybe he did get his fair share of criticism during the 80s, I may be wrong
    But the media did annoint him the GOAT before the Bulls won jack and

My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    At least Wall plays some defense...

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook's legacy is going to be pretty simple-- other stars didn't like playing with him. Durant left him, Paul George left him, and Harden didn't want to give it more than one season. His style of play is inefficient and exhausting to deal with, and he'll probably be happier putting up bigger numbers on a losing team in Washington.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if bringing in Westbrook leads to Beal demanding a trade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Live in DC and sports radio thinks Wizards pulled a fast one - not sure but probably good for both sides

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus he's probably a real drama on the floor and lockerroom, always with a chip on his shoulder. The problem with his level of athleticism is it's often without skill and he's got just enough skill to make him unjustifiably arrogant.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It was pretty much the norm back then. Players hated addressing the media back then more so than today because the questions were not going to be loaded with softball questions. I grew up in Charlotte during the 90's so I remember even the tough questions local media would ask to the players. I remember Alonzo Mourning cursing them out on a few occasions. That's how tough the questioning was back then.
    This.

The scrutiny just seems bad now because of social media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Live in DC and sports radio thinks Wizards pulled a fast one - not sure but probably good for both sides
    It was, Wall is the worst contract in the league. Haven't been a Westbrook fan since he left UCLA but he can probably get them into the playoffs and drum up fan interest in DC since he can go back to statpadding for triple doubles. Wall tore his achilles and got fat, completely worthless player on what is at best the second worst contract in the league. But I'll give Klay the benefit of the doubt that he'll work to at least be a serviceable player in a couple of years after the achilles tear so I'm still going to call Wall the worst contract in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    today’s nba.

Thread Information