Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send the cost to China along with other ones passed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get the inefficient angle. it definitely helped the economy back when it was put in once ago and we have definitely been impacted from the lack of a similar stimulus since then.

Inefficient compared to what?
    Compared to giving extended/enhanced unemployment benefits that at least go to people who are unemployed... This money is much more likely to be put in the hands of people who need it more and who are more likely to spend it on essentials and not on the stock market (where we know a lot of the first stimulus money went) or luxury goods.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send the cost to China along with other ones passed
    Oh you mean like how Trump tried to pass the bill to Mexico for the wall and instead a ton of the money came out of the U.S. Defense Budget to pay for it??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh you mean like how Trump tried to pass the bill to Mexico for the wall and instead a ton of the money came out of the U.S. Defense Budget to pay for it??
    Mexico is paying for it
    They have their forces on boarder
    Damm your dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

600/40 = $15/hour. Dems won't do it. They'll fecklessly fold when Repugs/right wing hate media propagandize "$15 kills jobs" for which there is no proof
    Biden mentioned supporting $15 an hour every speech he gave Not everyone is a trust fund baby like yourself who can sit around playing games and waiting for Republicans (who give two s about actually helping people) to fold and cave in to all our demands like we are the only ones with leverage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico is paying for it
    They have their forces on boarder
    Damm your dumb
    Where's the cash?
    You gullible as

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure this bill doesn't include the checks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll bet the ROI on filtering out “those who don’t need it” is super low. I wouldn’t even put the max income limit on the direct payment. The fed only knows how much you made in 2019. Assuming you still make that in this economy is presumptive.
    Low for their intent which isn't to boost struggling people but to boost a struggling economy. Spending is spending.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden mentioned supporting $15 an hour every speech he gave Not everyone is a trust fund baby like yourself who can sit around playing games and waiting for Republicans (who give two s about actually helping people) to fold and cave in to all our demands like we are the only ones with leverage
    Dems won't do $15 because their BigDonor class doesn't want to pay Labor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems we may be getting closer to one as the pandemic rages on. I'm hoping it doesn't include stimulus checks because these seem so inefficient. I totally support expanding and enhancing unemployment benefits but just giving away money as "stimulus" to everyone not making over a certain salary seems so wasteful to me.
    What's inefficient about the stimulus? The unemployment where people were getting regular unemployment plus $600 seemed even more inefficient since it disencentivizes people from getting jobs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's inefficient about the stimulus? The unemployment where people were getting regular unemployment plus $600 seemed even more inefficient since it disencentivizes people from getting jobs
    Compared to giving extended/enhanced unemployment benefits that at least go to people who are unemployed... This money is much more likely to be put in the hands of people who need it more and who are more likely to spend it on essentials and not on the stock market (where we know a lot of the first stimulus money went) or luxury goods.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "disencentivizes people from getting jobs"

that's Repug propaganda. There is no evidence supporting that bull to justify giving pandemic unemployed NOTHING.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS. Many gave it up when states reopened because they wanted their jobs. Many went back to jobs that paid less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "disencentivizes people from getting jobs"

that's Repug propaganda. There is no evidence supporting that bull to justify giving pandemic unemployed NOTHING.

Amazing that some still eat that Repug propaganda up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS. Many gave it up when states reopened because they wanted their jobs. Many went back to jobs that paid less.
    If their jobs still existed im sure they went back to them but many don't exist still. If I'm making like $900 a week on $300 unemployment+$600 a week bonus why would I want to get a minimum wage job where it would take me three weeks to make that much lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much of a dummy you gotta be to take a $300 a week minimum wage job when you be making $900/week for doing nothing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing that some still eat that Repug propaganda up.
    Lmao any critique of you guys in any way is a rightwing talking point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If their jobs still existed im sure they went back to them but many don't exist still. If I'm making like $900 a week on $300 unemployment+$600 a week bonus why would I want to get a minimum wage job where it would take me three weeks to make that much lol.
    That's more an indictment on where the minimum wage sits right now than bad policy, tbh.

But, regardless, the reason would be that aid is temporary due to the health emergency, and you don't want to create a situation where you make the most economically vulnerable people (who probably don't even have health insurance) risk their health, or become spreaders because of their desperation.

There's no reason for this aid to be longer than 3 months (considering the prospects of a vaccine right now), and ultimately it can be extended again then if needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's more an indictment on where the minimum wage sits right now than bad policy, tbh.

But, regardless, the reason would be that aid is temporary due to the health emergency, and you don't want to create a situation where you make the most economically vulnerable people (who probably don't even have health insurance) risk their health, or become spreaders because of their desperation.

There's no reason for this aid to be longer than 3 months (considering the prospects of a vaccine right now), and ultimately it can be extended again then if needed.
    Just gives $1500 a month to anyone with medium to low household income but don't take it away if they get a job or something. Should just be adjusted to the area maybe and cost of living

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just gives $1500 a month to anyone with medium to low household income but don't take it away if they get a job or something. Should just be adjusted to the area maybe and cost of living
    An UBI is a different matter altogether, IMO, and we can discuss it's merits separately. This is simply a temporary health emergency, and it's frankly ridiculous it's not treated as such.

Ultimately, the government ends up on the hook anyways. Either they temporarily pay them to stay at home, more or less, or end up having to foot the bill for their healthcare + all the other uninsured people they infect, or see Texas having to extend SNAP benefits, etc.

The main street economy is going to stay in the tank until this pandemic is under control. If it wasn't clear before, I think it's pretty clear by now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An UBI is a different matter altogether, IMO, and we can discuss it's merits separately. This is simply a temporary health emergency, and it's frankly ridiculous it's not treated as such.

Ultimately, the government ends up on the hook anyways. Either they temporarily pay them to stay at home, more or less, or end up having to foot the bill for their healthcare + all the other uninsured people they infect, or see Texas having to extend SNAP benefits, etc.

The main street economy is going to stay in the tank until this pandemic is under control. If it wasn't clear before, I think it's pretty clear by now.
    The govt won't bail out all the unemployed people with taxpayer health care.

100Ks will die for want of health care, as has been PROVEN in states over 10 years that didn't expand Medicaid. 15M+ dead and state-wide longevity lower than states with expanded Medicaid.

Thanks, Capitalism. Thanks, Repugs. criminal negligent manslaughter unpunished in failed society.

Southwest furloughing 7000, probably eventual layoffs

San Antonio bailing out for $13M+ a luxe hotel it helped finance as part of HBG Convention center expansion

Commercial property occupancy rates WAY down, putting pressure on the creditors and commercial MBS

But Repug s' BigDonor class doing great, so no need to help non-BigDonor

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-04-2020 at 07:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't recall the last time I agreed with David Brooks about anything, but this article is spot on:

The means to prevent this suffering are also glaringly obvious. We did it less than a year ago with the CARES Act. All we have to do is pass a version of what we did before. How hard can this possibly be?

The $2 trillion CARES Act was one of the most successful pieces of legislation of modern times. Because of the lockdowns, U.S. economic output contracted by a horrific 9 percent in the second quarter of 2020, compared with the first quarter. But because of the CARES Act, disposable household incomes increased by 10 percent. The personal savings rate increased by 34 percent in April.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/o...mcconnell.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either we roar out of this pandemic with the economic might and surging wages we enjoyed in 2019, or we endure another decade of grinding stagnation, more populist anger, more people losing faith in America. Microscopic interest rates make this additional debt a relatively easy lift for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have any Kentucky residents here?

How in the F does McConnell keep getting reelected?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "But because of the CARES Act, disposable household incomes increased by 10 percent. The personal savings rate increased by 34 percent in April."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/o...mcconnell.html
    Didn't disposable income and personal savings really increase because suddenly people who were employed (which was still most people) couldn't spend their money on things they normally would have like the gym membership, travel, fine dining, etc.? I didn't lose my job and that was my experience. I suddenly had extra money in my pocket because I had nothing to spend it on that I usually would have spent it on.

Thread Information