Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her staff says she can't remember things minutes after briefed on them, then berates her staff for not telling her.

She shouldn't have been been allowed to stand for reelection at age 85, tbh.

Schumer had several serious and painful talks with Feinstein, according to well-informed sources. Overtures were also made to enlist the help of Feinstein’s husband, Richard Blum. Feinstein, meanwhile, was surprised and upset by Schumer’s message. He had wanted her to step aside on her own terms, with her dignity intact, but “she wasn’t really all that aware of the extent to which she’d been compromised,” one well-informed Senate source told me. “It was hurtful and distressing to have it pointed out.” Compounding the problem, Feinstein seemed to forget about the conversations soon after they talked, so Schumer had to confront her again. “It was like Groundhog Day, but with the pain fresh each time.” Anyone who has tried to take the car keys away from an elderly relative knows how hard it can be, he said, adding that, in this case, “It wasn’t just about a car. It was about the U.S. Senate.”
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...nate-democrats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will be Joe in about 10 months

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Just as a reminder she won re-election in 2018 (over another Democrat) largely thanks to Obama endorsing her.

Obama’s memoir about how much he wants to inspire young people is a crock of when he’s endorsing the likes of Feinstein and Tom Perez.

If it were up to me the age limit would probably be 75 or 80 but having people in Congress or the White House over 85 years old is so stupid. The cognitive decline with both Feinstein and Grassley is clear, they shouldn’t have senior leadership positions in DC setting policy for people who are actually going to be alive in 10 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have a 2 term limit as well for these senators. 12 years in office is more than enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it were up to me the age limit would probably be ...... The cognitive decline...
    Should this be applied to NBA coaches also?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as a reminder she won re-election in 2018 (over another Democrat) largely thanks to Obama endorsing her.

Obama’s memoir about how much he wants to inspire young people is a crock of when he’s endorsing the likes of Feinstein and Tom Perez.

If it were up to me the age limit would probably be 75 or 80 but having people in Congress or the White House over 85 years old is so stupid. The cognitive decline with both Feinstein and Grassley is clear, they shouldn’t have senior leadership positions in DC setting policy for people who are actually going to be alive in 10 years.
    It's not just dems, Inhofe from Oklahoma is like 90

But realistically..... who else besides Biden could have defeated Trump in the general election? The Democratic candidates were all terrible but Jim Crow Joe was the only one good enough to beat Trump in enough relevant/purple states.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    If there's an age minimum, there should be an age max as well.

I'd set the age generously at 80, but would not be opposed to 75. And that 80 age line includes any point of the upcoming term. So, for example, if an in bent Senator is 77 years old at the end of a term, he or she cannot run for re-election because he or she would turn 80 during the next term.

I'd do the same for Supreme Court Justices. 80 sounds about right for them too.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's not just dems, Inhofe from Oklahoma is like 90

But realistically..... who else besides Biden could have defeated Trump in the general election? The Democratic candidates were all terrible but Jim Crow Joe was the only one good enough to beat Trump in enough relevant/purple states.
    Don Young (Alaska’s at large house rep) also just won re-election at the ripe age of 87

I think Sherrod Brown could have matched Biden’s performance, maybe even done better although that loses a valuable senate seat. Imo a few of the white male candidates who dropped out early on could have done it (ie Steve Bullock or Jay Inslee).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 terms for Senators, 6 terms for Reps

12 years max for SCOTUS and all Federal judges.

Any state that doesn't have 4M people to be combined, for electing Senators, with other, adjacent sparse states. 2 Senators for the combined region of sparse states.

DC and PR for statehood (simple majority, both chambers)

EC abolished.

None of this will happen because America is constipated, is broken and can't fix itself, the status quo is defensively frozen by the governing oligarchy.

Increase 438 House seats to 600K max per House district

Gerrymandering forbidden, districts determined mathematically.

435 was set by the House 100 years ago (USA with 1/3 of the population and way less urbanization than now.)
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-10-2020 at 11:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don Young (Alaska’s at large house rep) also just won re-election at the ripe age of 87

I think Sherrod Brown could have matched Biden’s performance, maybe even done better although that loses a valuable senate seat. Imo a few of the white male candidates who dropped out early on could have done it (ie Steve Bullock or Jay Inslee).
    Good point on Sherrod Brown, but OH is turning into WV west quickly and Brown is basically Manchin at this point, a popular democrat in a red state, another democrat would almost certainly turn the state senate from purple to red.

Did Brown even attempt to run? I don't remember if so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama tried to get in Merrick Garland who was already almost 70 IIRC. Trump was smarter and got 3 under 55's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe still comes across to me as pretty energetic and sharp enough so his age was not a problem for me; however he is right at the maximum age allowable for such an important job IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd do the same for Supreme Court Justices. 80 sounds about right for them too.
    according to ST resident lawyer alan derpowitz, the president can fire supreme court justices

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her staff says she can't remember things minutes after briefed on them, then berates her staff for not telling her.

She shouldn't have been been allowed to stand for reelection at age 85, tbh.
    He said, forgetting who he supported for president.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have a 2 term limit as well for these senators. 12 years in office is more than enough.
    they should make house and sentor terms to 4 years and 2 term limits. 8 years in office is more than enough. 2 year terms means half their time is for campaigning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to ST resident lawyer alan derpowitz, the president can fire supreme court justices

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol 10 months or 10 seconds from now? The dude is a walking corpse that can't string a sentence together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said, forgetting who he supported for president.
    Right? Lmao

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Good point on Sherrod Brown, but OH is turning into WV west quickly and Brown is basically Manchin at this point, a popular democrat in a red state, another democrat would almost certainly turn the state senate from purple to red.

Did Brown even attempt to run? I don't remember if so.
    He ultimately decided not to but was clearly considering it (ie multiple visits to Iowa and New Hampshire in 2019 when all the other candidates were declaring).

In 2024 his seat is going to be a tough hold for Dems but Ohio isn’t West Virginia , Trump won Ohio by 8% and West Virginia by 40%. Not remotely comparable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't even think the founding fathers ever had this country set up with the intent that people who are 70-80 plus would be in charge of running the country. Back in the day before WW2 life expectancy was only 50-60 years which resulted in quicker generational shifts when it came to having a new crop of politicians. I feel one of the biggest problems is we have people who by being too old are out of touch with the current problems of America. For example a person like Biden who is 78 would have no clue how technology advancements have effected the job market and displaced millions of people out of work. He also would not be able to relate to people when it comes to college expenses considering despite being poor he was able to afford college when he was going to school in the 60's. Back then you could work a summer job at McDonald and pay off your college tuition. Factor in cognitive decline plus being out of touch equals a person who has no clue what they are doing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most important leader for the Republicans with Trump being gone is Mitch who is above the age 70. That's the one that matters the most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even think the founding fathers ever had this country set up with the intent that people who are 70-80 plus would be in charge of running the country. Back in the day before WW2 life expectancy was only 50-60 years which resulted in quicker generational shifts when it came to having a new crop of politicians. I feel one of the biggest problems is we have people who by being too old are out of touch with the current problems of America. For example a person like Biden who is 78 would have no clue how technology advancements have effected the job market and displaced millions of people out of work. He also would not be able to relate to people when it comes to college expenses considering despite being poor he was able to afford college when he was going to school in the 60's. Back then you could work a summer job at McDonald and pay off your college tuition. Factor in cognitive decline plus being out of touch equals a person who has no clue what they are doing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel one of the biggest problems is we have people who by being too old are out of touch with the current problems of America.
    I think a bigger problem for any age pol or judge is that they are a plutocracy, a tiny number of wealthy rulers, multi-millionaires, cent-millionaires (Pelosi).

I remember when one of the appeals candidates made was "We were poor", meaning he grew up in the 1930s.

You don't hear that anymore because recent poor stay poor for life, die younger, and don't run for Congress,

while the wealthy stay wealthy and run the country to their benefit only, with no accountability.

Thread Information