Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No . Felt like I was watching a live action performance art exhibition of Iversons SLAM magazine cover.

Fear the ‘Fro!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These pre-season games aren't going to tell us much wit White and Keldon out because once they come back everything from lineups to rotations to minutes changes...

The only thing I really care about in this preseason is for Jones and Vassel to play well enough that Pop has to keep them in the rotation somewhat...

Would have been nice to see Luka play well but with food poisoning probably won't see him until regular season...year 2 is when our rookies really make an impact so he needs to show signs of life this season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest not much to like from this game I really don’t think anyone’s grade should be higher then a C+ this game was painful to watch. The only thing that really stood out is that we really need a PG to be able to handle the ball and set people up. I am wondering how long White will be out with his toe issue because without him directing our offense it’s going to be really ugly basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am so worried about our defensive schemes. We collapse so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest not much to like from this game I really don’t think anyone’s grade should be higher then a C+ this game was painful to watch. The only thing that really stood out is that we really need a PG to be able to handle the ball and set people up. I am wondering how long White will be out with his toe issue because without him directing our offense it’s going to be really ugly basketball.
    What also stood out is that DeMar appears more important to this team than Aldridge does, so if there was ever a debate between the two-- that debate should be over.

DeMar is solid and doesn't hurt the team. You don't get rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him, especially if you can keep him at a lower price. And you sure as don't let him go just to overpay Oladipo.

Obviously, if he can be traded for a better piece, then yeah you do it.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. The play at https://youtu.be/RUfTvKg_oGQ?t=423 from last night epitomizes this. Why the heck is Rudy helping so much from the strongside corner on a drive by Eric Gordon? I understand there was a switch/mismatch but helping this much from the strongside corner just begs to give up easy corner threes. I don't think it was a defensive lapse either. It looks like something that they're told to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. The play at https://youtu.be/RUfTvKg_oGQ?t=423 from last night epitomizes this. Why the heck is Rudy helping so much from the strongside corner on a drive by Eric Gordon? I understand there was a switch/mismatch but helping this much from the strongside corner just begs to give up easy corner threes. I don't think it was a defensive lapse either. It looks like something that they're told to do.
    That looks EERILY similar to another defensive breakdown that happened with DeMar overhelping and it leading to an open man for a 3. Guess who he was helping? LaMarcus Aldridge. Same as the example you've shown here. They don't trust his defensive capabilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I found it: check the play at 5:07.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How long is Derrick White expected to be out for?

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I found it: check the play at 5:07.
    That one looks to be more on Demar rather than on scheme. Since Demar's guarding the weakside wing, he's supposed to help prevent middle drives by guarding the nail. However, Demar goes much deeper into the paint. Going that far into the paint rather than to the nail has two negative side effects. First is that it makes the pass to his man easier. If he were further up, Wall would have to make a tougher pass around Demar. Second is that it makes it for a longer recovery and thus more time to gather and shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How long is Derrick White expected to be out for?
    This is pretty much all we know at this point:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA starts every season out of shape and then works into it.
    That was fine when he was allowed to do his thing, but this year he needs to adjust his game and his fitness is hurting him. I would keep Demar, trade LA, and build a young 3 and D defensive running team around Poetl on D and Demar on O.
    Last edited by couchman; 12-16-2020 at 10:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So for me, I live in Austin, and the game was blacked out for the Spurs feed, but I randomly got a Houston feed on my U-Verse channel 2105. Never even knew channels went up that high. Anyway, I'd check to see if something similar is available on whatever providers you and the other folks who had issues have. I had to search my guide to find that channel, and my cable box turned off after the game ended like it was some creepypasta or whatever. I'm pretty confident something similar will happen again on Thursday.
    Got the game last night in Austin, Spectrum, ch. 54.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That looks EERILY similar to another defensive breakdown that happened with DeMar overhelping and it leading to an open man for a 3. Guess who he was helping? LaMarcus Aldridge. Same as the example you've shown here. They don't trust his defensive capabilities.
    LMA is old, unathletic, and has bad knees. Of course he is going to be bad on any defense that isn't right under the rim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with the Spurs getting off to a horrible start to the season. Would prolly be the final nail in the coffin to their hesitance to trade LMA/DPR, allowing the team to play younger while getting a high pick in this year's stacked draft.
    This. A horrible start would be great. Would hopefully nudge them to move on from some of the old vets and hopefully plant the seed for the old man that this should be his last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some impressive things I liked from the highlights was Walker shooting the 3 with no fear. Demar shot a 3 coming off a screen that looked beautiful but it's always whether he will shoot that ever again.

Murray continues with a ridiculously high dribble, but he made some heady plays and passes to cutters, which I like. He started off playing as well as you can expect. He also had a couple of pretty jumpers.

Lyles looked really bad on both ends.

Bc it was only highlights I was left wondering where and how the game got away from them. The outcome doesn't matter in preseason, just learn from the experience and move on. It seems the bench play was really poor, perhaps highlighted by bad Lyles (and Mills?) games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is a glaring problem in our defensive scheme. The league just isn't going the way our defense expects, nobody is shooting pull-up middies anymore, and drive&dish for a 3pt shot is the name of the game. Unnecessarily collapsing into the paint and leaving shooters wide open is a recipe for failure, no matter your defensive personnel. It worked for the Bucks somewhat last season due to excellent team cohesion, defensive personnel, and having the MVP/DPOY on the team, and they still lead the league in 3pt shots allowed and opp. 3-pointers made. Spurs, with their personnel, should never be trying a scheme like they are - expecting Patty, or LMA, to be recovering or rotating to the open corner shooter, is just head-to-the-wall stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is, I don't think that happens with Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge and especially Gay as the rest of the unit. There were stretches of the game where Walker barely shot. Some of that was definitely a matter of aggression. But a good deal was guys like LMA, Gay and Murray shooting quick shots. To some extent, you just have to accept quick looks if you want to increase the pace. But Pop has to earn his money by calling plays to get Lonnie looks and by staying in his ear making him take them. I see Walker as the clear third option behind LMA and DMDR going forward. If he's not getting Eric Gordon levels of touches, it's not going to work. That unlike those other two he can shoot the three well just makes it more important that he get a lot of manufactured attempts until his acclimates to knowing when he's supposed to step up.

Also, the team could use his penetration and kicking. He showed that once tonight, but his potential in that end is why I wanted the Spurs to draft him so badly in 2018. It's like Kira Lewis but with more size and less experience.
    Also agree on this. Walker looked a lot better last night, but it's clear by now that he's gotta learn through his mistakes and limitations, and the only way to do that is experience, touches, and making mistakes then watching film on them. On the one hand, he's not going to get many touches with that starting unit having DJ/DD/LMA on it; on the other, playing him off the bench really limits his minutes and role, which you don't want. I saw your point on Dejounte in the other thread, and agree - I'm hopeful one of DJ/DD/LMA will be traded at the deadline. Otherwise, Lonnie's (and White's and maybe even Keldon's) development will be stunted.

Coming into the season, I was hopeful maybe the vets would relinquish their touch-heavy roles, and "fade into the background" to let the youngings take center spot. Now, it's looking very unlikely (for multiple reasons - vets being in a contract year, but also the youth not "seizing things up", and also definitely coaching to an extent). We'll see the adjustments Pop will make once the games start counting, but I'm tempering my expectations for this season right now, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some impressive things I liked from the highlights was Walker shooting the 3 with no fear. Demar shot a 3 coming off a screen that looked beautiful but it's always whether he will shoot that ever again.

Murray continues with a ridiculously high dribble, but he made some heady plays and passes to cutters, which I like. He started off playing as well as you can expect. He also had a couple of pretty jumpers.

Lyles looked really bad on both ends.

Bc it was only highlights I was left wondering where and how the game got away from them. The outcome doesn't matter in preseason, just learn from the experience and move on. It seems the bench play was really poor, perhaps highlighted by bad Lyles (and Mills?) games.
    It was still within reach, but Pop dumped the deep bench to play the 4th Q. Eubanks, Cam, Tre Jones, Lyles, Devin. Devin was about the only rotation player to get much burn in the 4th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was still within reach, but Pop dumped the deep bench to play the 4th Q. Eubanks, Cam, Tre Jones, Lyles, Devin. Devin was about the only rotation player to get much burn in the 4th.
    Thanks for this reply.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    losing hope in murray. he's made strides with his jumper but no improvement in his ball handling.

white's inability to stay healthy likely means murray will start a ton no matter what pop decides to do

PF is a dead position rn, with LMA really being a center at this point. desperate for Samanic to be ready for heavy rotation minutes, though he didnt exactly look ready for that at the end of the bubble. Gay is the only guy who holds the fort there right now, and thats not a good sign.

unless pop really wants to go small and play somebody like Derozan or Keldon at the 4

Vassell looks physically ready, but is fairly timid on offense, which isn't that unexpected for a rook

Tre Jones just gives me Cory Joseph vibes. hard nosed defender, can somewhat operate an offense, but is just not enough of a scoring threat to make it certain that he wont just be a liability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I think Spurs are okay when we get everybody healthy. I like that Demar didn't hesitate to take that 3. And Pop letting Vassell play heavy minutes should be an indication we will be seeing the kid play in the rotation, hopefully even start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is NOT a PG and should really focus on scoring than setting up people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is NOT a PG and should really focus on scoring than setting up people.
    he actually showed good passing ability and LMA needlessly fumbled a couple of good passes in the paint. the problem is his ball handling is atrocious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A PG a en is one that Murray struggles to display

Thread Information