Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I assume Lonnie will be coming off the bench. Pair him with KJ and that should be fun to watch.

White and Murray start together and that should help with the defense but Vassell needs to start period. He fits in so seamlessly with that group and fixes everything that is wrong with that group in Murray and DDR. He can take and make the open 3 (ahem DJ, DDR) and he can cover up with his length for the help defense when teams get past DDR and when DJ makes an incredibly stupid gamble for a steal. Also the one area Vassell may struggle with: rebounding (not that he’s a bad one but he isn’t filled out yet), DJ does incredibly well. We need DJs rebounding a lot in this small ball line up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is good
    But NBA will lose more money this year cap not be as high
    Should have locked him up around 60 million

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus regressed because Derrick White is injured. If there are 2 players that have the most synergy together on this entire roster it’s Derrick White and LaMarcus Aldridge. If LA starts Derrick has to start period
    Let's just make it Derrick has to start period. He's not getting enough minutes for his efficiency and production.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is the Spurs' best player.
    no wonder we suck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop would treat Derrick as the best player in the roster that he is, we would be a Lot better than what we are right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's just make it Derrick has to start period. He's not getting enough minutes for his efficiency and production.
    Yeah he should get 20 shots per game, shoot at least 5 3-pointers and play at least 30 minutes (and actually more like 35).

The best starting line up is

White/Vassell/Keldon/DeRozan/LA

DeRozan is the only non shooter and plays like a PF most of the time anyway. So the spacing would be ideal and you have 2 ball handlers in White and DeRozan. Good help defense from the wings which helps to hide DDR and maximizes Aldridge‘s defense as a rim protector.

Murray/Mills/Walker/Gay/Poeltl

should be the bench line up. Again 3 good shooters with Dejounte who can hit the occasional 3. Walker and DJ can work on their scoring ability against bench players, they can play fast, got enough defense out there and if they need a bucket they can iso Rudy.

That‘s the most ideal rotation if you ask me. The only thing Pop should try occasionally is to play Bates-Diop at the 4. Let Lyles wave the towel from the sidelines

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop would treat Derrick as the best player in the roster that he is, we would be a Lot better than what we are right now.
    still wouldnt change the fact that we would suck. If Derrick White is the best player on your team, the only thing that team could do is fight for the 13th place in the west.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still wouldnt change the fact that we would suck. If Derrick White is the best player on your team, the only thing that team could do is fight for the 13th place in the west.
    Nah, supposing we cut all the dead weight, we could fight for a playoffs spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way LMA/DeRozan get less PT on their contracts / with their status on the team. Sure, Gay can be moved to the bench and Walker can slot into SG, with DeMar at PF and Vassell at SF. But it's not even feasible to suggest LMA or DeMar are benched or receive no minutes (unless they hold out / request trade / are in the process of being traded).
    One of them can be a token starter, and come out after 4 minutes, and Pop can stagger them to minimize their minutes together. It’s no secret that they are an awful fit. The Spurs are noticeably better per 100 possessions when one of them is off the floor, EITHER one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and play at least 30 minutes (and actually more like 35)
    3 games and he'd be out for the year with another foot injury...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of them can be a token starter, and come out after 4 minutes, and Pop can stagger them to minimize their minutes together. It’s no secret that they are an awful fit. The Spurs are noticeably better per 100 possessions when one of them is off the floor, EITHER one.
    I can see the moping now... either one...

either a big billboard would pop up at the Rim like "mah touches wuz better in Portland"

or a bunch of spam IG posts with the other's head in his hands like "they aint bout dis thug lyfe"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he should get 20 shots per game, shoot at least 5 3-pointers and play at least 30 minutes (and actually more like 35).

The best starting line up is

White/Vassell/Keldon/DeRozan/LA

DeRozan is the only non shooter and plays like a PF most of the time anyway. So the spacing would be ideal and you have 2 ball handlers in White and DeRozan. Good help defense from the wings which helps to hide DDR and maximizes Aldridge‘s defense as a rim protector.

Murray/Mills/Walker/Gay/Poeltl

should be the bench line up. Again 3 good shooters with Dejounte who can hit the occasional 3. Walker and DJ can work on their scoring ability against bench players, they can play fast, got enough defense out there and if they need a bucket they can iso Rudy.

That‘s the most ideal rotation if you ask me. The only thing Pop should try occasionally is to play Bates-Diop at the 4. Let Lyles wave the towel from the sidelines
    You do know what 20 shots per game look like? That is watch me iso and stand in the corner offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know what 20 shots per game look like? That is watch me iso and stand in the corner offense.
    I was exaggerating. If Aldridge and DeRozan can get 15 shots per game, White can get them as well. Give him some of their touches. It‘s more about him getting more possessions period cause he always makes the right reads

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was exaggerating. If Aldridge and DeRozan can get 15 shots per game, White can get them as well. Give him some of their touches. It‘s more about him getting more possessions period cause he always makes the right reads
    Yeah 15 shots per game is the bubble White, same as Jamal Murray's usage who if the pull up game is for real is what I think White's offensive ceiling is. Regular season Jamal not playoff Jamal.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely true.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way Vassell starts this season besides spot starts due to players sitting out due to rest or injury, would be if LMA and/or DDR gets traded at the trade deadline. Vassell has great potential but he will need time to adjust to the regular season NBA games. He will need more time to learn and adapt on the defensive end more than the offensive end. Not saying that he's not a great defender but there's not many players that come into the league their 1st year and be beast on defense right away, it's not that easy going up against savvy NBA players. He will eventually start fulltime but we may have to wait until next season which he will be better prepared after a season under his belt. With that being said the rotations on most nights will probably look something like this:

DJM, Mills, T. Jones, QW
    White, LW4, Vassell
    DDR, KJ, Vassell
    Gay, Lyles, Luka, KBD
    LMA, Jakob, Eubanks

Vassell will also see more playing time if the Spurs trade away LMA earlier in the season and go small ball. In that scenario:

DJM, Mills, TJ, QW
    White, LW4,
    KJ, Vassell
    DDR, Gay, Luka, KBD
    Jakob, Lyles, Eubanks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White has a Steve Nash like quality when he's on the floor in the way he just elevates the players around him on the offensive end and it seems like the offense just get's better. Not saying he will ever be as good as Nash but I always get that type of feel when he's on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we're going to see an improved White (or the continued Bubble version of White) just because of these incentives on his contract:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we're going to see an improved White (or the continued Bubble version of White) just because of these incentives on his contract:

He’s going to have to let fly if he wants to make that 3 pointer incentive. At his career rate of 36%, and allowing for him to miss 10 games this year, he’ll have to put up 8.3 per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s going to have to let fly if he wants to make that 3 pointer incentive. At his career rate of 36%, and allowing for him to miss 10 games this year, he’ll have to put up 8.3 per game.
    That's Tatum numbers. If White can do that, fine by me, tbh... Nice incentives on the contract, though I don't think he'll achieve either of the last two (hopefully gets the 70 games one).

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iirc Dejounte has an incentive to hit 125 threes in a season too, and he's even less likely to get there imo.

I wonder if the incentives are all prorated to 82 games? 185 in an 82-game season is 163 (rounding to the next higher integer) in 72 games. If White plays all 72 games (already impossible, I know) he would have to hit 2.26 per game, which would take just under 6.3 attempts per game at a 36% make rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the 3 pointer incentives built into the youngsters contacts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, considering you don't give credit for the things Masai does, giving him credit for things he doesn't seems like a balancing act, tbh

Also, why's the assumption that OG is foolish and accepted a lower amount? The same could be said for White - the same way White has injury concerns, OG hasn't been more than a roleplayer and not a large spot on the team offensively. Very well could've netted a lesser contract next season if he hadn't secured the bag, especially considering it's his first big deal. But oh well, no credit to be found where it's due from you.
    You naive, gullible novice. Executives/coaches careers are mostly built on luck. Players careers aren't though (outside of winning the genetic lottery to begin with).

Anunoby is a 23 year old, 3 and D combo forward. Setting superstars/stars aside, there's no more valuable/rare archetype in today's game. If he waited, he probably get's at least what Isaac got and more on an offer sheet.

They're on a Warriors esque run of luck though. Like them, soon enough it'll starting balancing itself out.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White/Vassell/Keldon/DeRozan/LA will inevitably be the closing lineup when we aren't facing teams with 2 large bigs.

We won't be able to not play Keldon. We will realize that we can't not play Vassell.

Murray is going to have to take that L.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You naive, gullible novice. Executives/coaches careers are mostly built on luck. Players careers aren't though (outside of winning the genetic lottery to begin with).

Anunoby is a 23 year old, 3 and D combo forward. Setting superstars/stars aside, there's no more valuable/rare archetype in today's game. If he waited, he probably get's at least what Isaac got and more on an offer sheet.

They're on a Warriors esque run of luck though. Like them, soon enough it'll starting balancing itself out.
    Weren't you complaining about my "ad-hominem ridden" writeup the other day? You sure don't mind being a hypocrite...

I don't disagree that executives' careers can be built on luck. I have a harder time agreeing in terms of coaching, because it takes way more than luck (and way more than lucking into a team with good or superstar-level players) to make a coaches' career. And I don't know why you'd say they don't for players, when some of them clearly have their careers made on luck - for example, lucking into a team that already has a superstar and carries you to success and big paydays (cough, Kuzma, cough). A lot of luck involved.

The Warriors had a lot more than luck going their way, though, which I guess is always going to be something you're not going to acknowledge. Kerr, despite copying a lot of Pop's sets and philosophies (of course, I'm waiting for you to call Kerr a trash coach as well ), is a good coach; they've made some great signings and got value on those contracts, not to mention getting KD to sign there, a feat in itself even if it ed parity (a "lucky recruitment", amirite? ). They built their dynasty the same way the Spurs built theirs, through the draft, sans KD who they signed after winning their first chip. Not a lot of luck in drafting well and developing your draftees well, tbh.

As far as Anunoby, yeah, he could've gotten more in RFA... Which is why it's a great signing to get him at a discount, and a feat of the front office (the same way our FO should be lauded to have gotten White at a bargain price instead of letting him hit FA like some posters here were already predicting); it's not Anunoby being a fool, why would he be? Is there no other narrative in your head other than discrediting good executive jobs? Kinda one-trick-pony for a shtick, tbh.

Thread Information