Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should move LMA and DeRozan before the deadline for future picks. Attach Lonnie for the right deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Don’t see how Jrue holiday can be worth 3 1st round picks and Demar can’t at least get 2 1st rounders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Don’t see how Jrue holiday can be worth 3 1st round picks and Demar can’t at least get 2 1st rounders
    Teams are probably concerned with DeMar's fit. He is a poor defender, ball dominant, and barely shoots 3s. Still, he is great with the ball in his hands in regards to creating for himself and others. The few teams that might want him might not be able to piece together the necessary salary to make a trade work without gutting their team, plus they may not have a first to give.

Miami was linked to Demar, and have the salary to make a trade happen, but they're really handcuffed with the lack of picks. The Heat could trade their 2025 first, assuming they could figure out the pick protections, especially for first that far out. Maybe they're still an option, considering how bad they've played and the pressure their under to follow up a Finals run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should move LMA and DeRozan before the deadline for future picks. Attach Lonnie for the right deal.
    Yes please

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily - Jrue is on a longer contract, while DDR is expiring. Jrue has likely given Bucks assurances he'll stay there for a reasonable price, whereas as reported DDR wants a lot of money on his new deal, which would make whoever trades for him uncomfortable. Also, Jrue is a seamless fit for any team, whereas DDR needs a team built around him.

That said, he's no doubt getting a Hayward type deal in the summer.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because jrue is a better player with more valuable skills than demar.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan as the Drummond of Guards is really the perfect analogy.
    Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed on Mills and LMA. IIRC the room exception is for when teams are at or under the cap and is for around ~$5 million. He'd probably be going to a contender, one who is more likely to be over the cap, so probably the room mid-level. That's around ~5.8, similar enough in regards to salary and a bit closer to his actual value.

They certainly value Mills but I think his time with the team is likely done, no matter what. He'd likely look at a contender while the Spurs have a bunch of young guards who they need to prioritize going forward. They'll definitely sign a vet or two, even if they're non-rotation players, because next years team figures to be significantly younger.

The Nets, Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Miami, and Mavs have limited to no use of their 1st round picks, among current playoff teams, going forward. Fair point though that it'd be harder to acquire a 1st for Mills, if the Spurs are seeking to trade him-- which is still uncertain despite how much sense it makes.

Ainge is notorious for trying to get over on other teams, though getting both Mills and Gay could definitely upgrade their rotation and bolster their chances of making the finals. A late first, Ojele, and Langford seems like a perfectly reasonable tradeoff, even for Ainge.

Obviously it depends on how much they value Langford, at this point his value to them has to be higher than his value around the league considering he's only played 32 games in two seasons thus far. There's no telling when or if Langford will be able to contribute; though if they're high on him, then they could technically swap him out for Theis and hope to add a center on the buyout market while still acquiring Gay and Mills.

Johnson and Vassell are wings and Walker seems unlikely to be extended (in which case it'd be wise to trade him beforehand, but we know their M.O.). That leaves White, Murray and Jones, the latter of whom is not a good enough prospect to lose a player they value so much, that brings a needed skillset. The fact that they let Forbes walk was probably an indication that they intend to retain him and have a sense of his thinking.

I don't know what Mills will prioritize, but I do know he won't have the same platform elsewhere, which he clearly values.

It's not that it's an unreasonable price per se, I just don't see it. I suspect they view their true window as in a couple of years, when Tatum and Brown will be entering their prime and many of the key players on the contenders are likely to be exiting theirs. Even for Bird rights purposes, they're up against next season's projected tax with Theis unsigned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because jrue is a better player with more valuable skills than demar.
    Jrue holiday is overrated af

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Johnson and Vassell are wings and Walker seems unlikely to be extended (in which case it'd be wise to trade him beforehand, but we know their M.O.). That leaves White, Murray and Jones, the latter of whom is not a good enough prospect to lose a player they value so much, that brings a needed skillset. The fact that they let Forbes walk was probably an indication that they intend to retain him and have a sense of his thinking.

I don't know what Mills will prioritize, but I do know he won't have the same platform elsewhere, which he clearly values.

It's not that it's an unreasonable price per se, I just don't see it. I suspect they view their true window as in a couple of years, when Tatum and Brown will be entering their prime and many of the key players on the contenders are likely to be exiting theirs. Even for Bird rights purposes, they're up against next season's projected tax with Theis unsigned.
    I called the Forbes decision, it seemed obvious, mainly because White and Walker then impending expanding role. That isn't necessarily the case next season and the Spurs probably aren't thinking about letting Mills walk just to play Q or Trey Jones.

Still they could pretty easily replace Mills' minutes by expanding the guard minutes for Murray, Walker and White with either Q or Jones playing spot minutes to see if one of them sticks. I'm sure Mills would be willing to stick around but is likely to get the full MLE, starting at $10.3 million, over 3 years elsewhere.

For him to stay, with the Spurs under the cap, they'd probably have to over pay him --something around $12 million per. I don't see them doing that this time, with younger options that are already under contract. Mills will move on quickly, with a number of other suitors vying for him, while the Spurs could better spend their cap space elsewhere-- namely at power forward, with only Luka under contract there next season.

Boston is set up well going forward, obviously, but they have a good chance at making the Finals now. I also think that they're going to pay the tax multiple seasons going forward. They may pay the tax next season but wouldn't under the proposed deal this season, bolstering their chances. Still, dealing with Ainge is a wild card. They may just end up using it on a smaller deal or even not at all.
    Last edited by cd021; 02-07-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I called the Forbes decision, it seemed obvious, mainly because White and Walker then impending expanding role. That isn't necessarily the case next season and
    the Spurs probably aren't thinking about letting Mills walk just to play Q or Trey Jones.

Still they could pretty easily replace Mills' minutes by expanding the guard minutes for Murray, Walker and White with either Q or Jones playing spot minutes to see if one of them sticks. I'm sure Mills would be willing to stick around but is likely to get the full MLE, starting at $10.3 million, over 3 years elsewhere.

For him to stay, with the Spurs under the cap, they'd probably have to over pay him --something around $12 million per. I don't see them doing that this time, with younger options that are already under contract. Mills will move on quickly, with a number of other suitors vying for him, while the Spurs could better spend their cap space elsewhere-- namely at power forward, with only Luka under contract there next season.

Boston is set up well going forward, obviously, but they have a good chance at making the Finals now. I also think that they're going to pay the tax multiple seasons going forward. They may pay the tax next season but wouldn't under the proposed deal this season, bolstering their chances. Still, dealing with Ainge is a wild card. They may just end up using it on a smaller deal or even not at all.
    They could pretty easily replace Mills' minutes, but not his role. As an off movement, volume shooting, quick trigger 3-point shooter, he's the only bonafide sniper on the roster.

As I said, Walker seems unlikely to be a long term fixture and Johnson and Vassell are wings. Even if they lose Mills, there's a need for a guard with his skillset and they have the capspae to sign a four and re-sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs’ priority is to sign Demar back, get a 20/10 PF and try to convince Mills and Rudy to stay with what’s left, and letting Aldridge walk. I think Patty will take a paycut and retire a Spur.

IF they are decided to let LA walk, what would be the best scenario? Buy out? Trade to Blazers who might do him a favor? But we need that expiring to sign that coveted 20/10 big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs’ priority is to sign Demar back, get a 20/10 PF and try to convince Mills and Rudy to stay with what’s left, and letting Aldridge walk. I think Patty will take a paycut and retire a Spur.

IF they are decided to let LA walk, what would be the best scenario? Buy out? Trade to Blazers who might do him a favor? But we need that expiring to sign that coveted 20/10 big.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar won't be getting a max with any team at this point so the question really becomes should the spurs try to re-sign him and. if so, at what cost?
    In a free agency with lots of teams having max room and no other all star free agents available DDR will get max money if he prioritizes it. I just hope it's not us at that price tag.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you re-sign Demar, what money are the Spurs going to have to go after a decent PF? I hope the Spurs aren't stupid enough to overpay Patty, either. I'm not going for that for a second time. I was one of the angriest here after he got the 50M. I was right and most everyone else was wrong, or at the very least, it took them a year or two to come to the same conclusion I came to after 1 minute. He was seriously overpaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread vacillates after every good game and bad game between posters who want him resigned and those who want him gone.

I think as a compromise we can all agree to not bring him back.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker needs to be groomed as the Mills replacement. Historically, I think Pop has too often tried to put young players into old roles, but to me this one actually makes sense, which is probably why they won’t do it. Sort of joking.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 02-09-2021 at 11:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread vacillates after every good game and bad game between posters who want him resigned and those who want him gone.

SpursTalk in a nuts .

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar should be on a team in the East, ideally somewhere with D’Antoni, who doesn’t prioritize defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That word, compromise, I don't think it means what you think it means...

Thread Information