Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Poeltl didn't work on his offensive game at all!!"

I don't remember which poster I was talking to about this (Drunkford?), but it's obvious he's worked on his game. Shooting = / = offense, despite this modern era being shooting-obsessed.
    This was just one of his moves from last night, too.

There's a couple flashy moves where he missed the shot, yet people care more about him missing the shot than the new move he displayed.

I wish some Spur fan would be useful on here and start uploading Spur player highlights. Seems no one is doing that this year. We can't even get a Keldon one from any of the last three games. People be slacking over here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=Dejounte;10382750]
    [/
    Aldridge
    Last edited by John B; 12-28-2020 at 03:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fat coming in to the season out of shape and lazy per par.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would’ve been Demar if things went Spurs way last night, and would be good shoving on ESPN’s face

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to play LaMarcus if they have any hope of moving him. He’s clearly the odd man out with this team. So far I’m happy with DDRs ability to adapt and fit. LW4 is playing good but he’s clearly not ready to take over as the primary scorer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No mention of the abomination of play calling from Pop, eh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to play LaMarcus if they have any hope of moving him. He’s clearly the odd man out with this team. So far I’m happy with DDRs ability to adapt and fit. LW4 is playing good but he’s clearly not ready to take over as the primary scorer.
    It seems they shopped him in the offseason (especially before the draft) and nobody really wanted him. What's funny is teams that could really use him (Lakers, Warriors) went with tier options and are being burned for those choices now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The remarks about LMA are funny. Guys, he's old - too old for a young man's game. You're not seeing lack of motivation, or any of that psychological stuff. You're seeing age.

He. Is. Too. Old. The spring in his step is gone. He's done, he's washed. In the NBA, 35 and 1/2 rolling downhill toward 40 is an old man.

Oh, LMA probably has a few good games left. There will be nights when his shot is falling, and when he feels peppy. But those games will be fewer and farther between.

As far as trying to trade him, nah, forget it. He'll probably retire after this season. If he has any sense he will. It's time.

Which then means the Spurs had better be shopping seriously for a tall, young forward for next season. The latter part of this season would be fine, too, although the Spurs don't have much history of midseason trades, as best I recall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, what you're seeing is an old man trying to work himself back into shape. Long layoffs are devastating to older players who have to struggle to maintain way more than younger guys. That's why Jordan retired instead of going for a four-peat. You're talking about a guy who didn't play for nine months, coming off and injury and who typically starts off slow AND who's trying to learn a new system. This wasn't going to be quick. I don't know if he'll ever get it this year, but he'll likely look way better around March than he does now. The Spurs have to start running offense through him first and not try to get him started on PnPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DD costs the Spurs another game due to his emo whining. To be fair though, that foul call was pretty weak, I know the challenge got denied but Ingram lowered his shoulder and just ran Demar over. If anything it should have been a no call

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The remarks about LMA are funny. Guys, he's old - too old for a young man's game. You're not seeing lack of motivation, or any of that psychological stuff. You're seeing age.

He. Is. Too. Old. The spring in his step is gone. He's done, he's washed. In the NBA, 35 and 1/2 rolling downhill toward 40 is an old man.

Oh, LMA probably has a few good games left. There will be nights when his shot is falling, and when he feels peppy. But those games will be fewer and farther between.

As far as trying to trade him, nah, forget it. He'll probably retire after this season. If he has any sense he will. It's time.

Which then means the Spurs had better be shopping seriously for a tall, young forward for next season. The latter part of this season would be fine, too, although the Spurs don't have much history of midseason trades, as best I recall.
    The last 3 seasons he's looked pretty bad for 30 or so games and then things pick up. I admit, he's definitely reaching those twilight years, but I think he's capable of better than we've seen so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Poeltl didn't work on his offensive game at all!!"

I don't remember which poster I was talking to about this (Drunkford?), but it's obvious he's worked on his game. Shooting = / = offense, despite this modern era being shooting-obsessed.
    Poeltl has clearly worked on his offense, otherwise there would be no pic of him shooting a 3-pointer on the Internet, but we haven’t seen any of this in games. This was the first time ever he displayed a new move. It’s called the drop step. It’s the most basic post move ever. It’s good to see that he has it in his game. If he could finally add a hook shot he would have a go to move and a counter. I just wonder how long it will take for him to really incorporate those in games.

As far as his „shooting“ goes, he didn’t improve there at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People here seem to be surprised about LaMarcus playing like hot garbage at the start of the season. Y’all the same guys who were complaining about this last season. And the season before. Y’all got a short memory I guess. That’s what he does. LA doesn’t need rest, he needs reps. That’s how he gets it going. He’s never looked that bad and the long lay off and shoulder surgery seem to make things more difficult, but he still has some gas in the tank. At the moment he‘s dragging the team down for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl has clearly worked on his offense, otherwise there would be no pic of him shooting a 3-pointer on the Internet, but we haven’t seen any of this in games. This was the first time ever he displayed a new move. It’s called the drop step. It’s the most basic post move ever. It’s good to see that he has it in his game. If he could finally add a hook shot he would have a go to move and a counter. I just wonder how long it will take for him to really incorporate those in games.

As far as his „shooting“ goes, he didn’t improve there at all.
    ...Wait, what? First you say he hasn't worked on his offensive game at all unlike Dejounte, then shown clips of him attempting a new move in a game, now you say he has worked on it, but we "haven't seen any of this in games"? What does it even mean? The clip was literally from yesterday's game. I know of the drop step, and I'm excited to see him doing it, especially since it's the first time (though if you've been looking closely, it's not the first time he's attempted a new/fancy move around the post, he's been trying through the preseason and first two games sparingly). I can only guess you were being hyperbolic in your original comment.

I don't know if/when he'll add a hook shot, but at any rate, seeing him develop is great, especially looking back at his contract. I don't expect him to learn how to shoot the 3, he most likely never will (at an NBA level) and we shouldn't expect that from him when it's never been his game. Not every player is a LMA or Blake Griffin type, just my opinion though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously didn’t get what I was saying. My point was that he talked about expanding his offensive game for 2 years but has never shown any new moves. This was the first time of him showing some type of new offensive move in an NBA game. So if you need 2 years to do a drop step in games, you have to be really slow (mentally that is).

Yes he will never be a 3-point shooter but why in is he working on a corner 3 then if he can’t even shoot a hook shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA will be fine. He always takes time to get it going and it'll take longer due to the long lay off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously didn’t get what I was saying. My point was that he talked about expanding his offensive game for 2 years but has never shown any new moves. This was the first time of him showing some type of new offensive move in an NBA game. So if you need 2 years to do a drop step in games, you have to be really slow (mentally that is).

Yes he will never be a 3-point shooter but why in is he working on a corner 3 then if he can’t even shoot a hook shot?
    I did get it, it was (and is) just factually wrong, as evidenced by Poeltl's new moves this past few games (and during the preseason, if you were watching). It's pretty clear he made his offense a big part of the off-season workouts, and so far it's looking to be paying off. I didn't see him talking as heavily about offense last off-season, though that could've just been me not paying attention. I agree that a drop step is basic, but Poeltl was always projected as a D-first center, so I'm not exactly surprised to see a lacking offensive game. The fact that it's developing is what's important, IMO, especially with Timmy likely working him out.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's working on a corner 3 since that's what the league is demanding today. You'll be paid exponentially more as a 3pt shooting center than a hook-shooting one, so that's a smart decision by Poeltl to prioritize his outside shot, even if I'm personally skeptic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did get it, it was (and is) just factually wrong, as evidenced by Poeltl's new moves this past few games (and during the preseason, if you were watching). It's pretty clear he made his offense a big part of the off-season workouts, and so far it's looking to be paying off. I didn't see him talking as heavily about offense last off-season, though that could've just been me not paying attention. I agree that a drop step is basic, but Poeltl was always projected as a D-first center, so I'm not exactly surprised to see a lacking offensive game. The fact that it's developing is what's important, IMO, especially with Timmy likely working him out.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's working on a corner 3 since that's what the league is demanding today. You'll be paid exponentially more as a 3pt shooting center than a hook-shooting one, so that's a smart decision by Poeltl to prioritize his outside shot, even if I'm personally skeptic.
    he should prioritize free throw shooting and post moves. And what new move other than the drop step have you seen so far?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he should prioritize free throw shooting and post moves. And what new move other than the drop step have you seen so far?
    Give me a moment and I'll post some GIFs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The faster pace is killing LA's defense or what's left of it, more possesions he gets attacked on the PNR and in transition. The Dejounte and Poeltl lineup to start the 2nd gets us back in games. A lot of frustration is showing from the other players and Pop on LA defense the last few games.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 12-28-2020 at 06:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turnovers usually tell the tale of why you lose. Murray = 6 turnovers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turnovers usually tell the tale of why you lose. Murray = 6 turnovers.
    We would have been NBA champs last season if that is the case.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last 3 seasons he's looked pretty bad for 30 or so games and then things pick up. I admit, he's definitely reaching those twilight years, but I think he's capable of better than we've seen so far.
    Agreed, also people are quick to forget he didn't play in the bubble at all so it's been awhile since he has been play real game situations. The older you get the longer it takes you to get back in shape which will probably happen in about a month he should be good.

But I do agree I think LMA is the odd man out that's why I am hoping we are in the lottery again cause we are not signing anyone good. If we hit the lottery in the right number we could land our future starting SF/PF or PF/C. If we loose LMA and Derozz yeah we tanking for sure people still underestimate how good they really are but they will see when they are gone.

Thread Information