My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 1 vs Grizzleys extreme celebration time. Best lineup management we've seen from him since 2014.
    Game 2 vs Raptors more good stuff including Derozan shooting treys! In the clutch late!
    Game 3 vs Pelicans kind of a stinker but he did pull over rated slug LMA. Continues to force Murray to play PG which is not a fit. Looked good in 4th but can't be wasting 3 quarters. You saw the whole game, i did not.

What say ye?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree for the most part.

The more I watch Dejounte and seeing how the puzzle of the 2021 team is coming together, the more it becomes obvious that Derrick White is the complement for him. Defensively, both players can guard 1s and 2s and have the versatility to cover wings in switch situations. While Dejounte is strongest creating in drive and kick situations and looks less comfortable in traditional half court sets, Derrick is poised and capable of running slower sets. Derrick coming back and pushing Lonnie more into a shot creation role with the second unit fits his development timeline and skillset as well. He's shown flashes of being able to create off the bounce, but looks nervous at times without consistent reps.

Lamarcus is the Bryn Forbes of big men. Last nights benching to me is a great sign from pop and says he won't be captive to a lack of effort coasting on past achievements. I expect Jakob gets more run with the first unit to guard the athleticism of opposing starting units and Lamarcus gets more and more time trying to feast with the bench against weaker subs. So far, Pop seems to have a clear idea of who needs to be in when, is quick to call timeouts in momentum situations, and made a great change in switching to zone last night after LA let them take us by the balls in the 3rd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 4 is likely a loss no matter what we do. The Lakers are far and away the best team in the league. No other team comes close. But I hope they're at least compe ive and use it as a learning experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 4 is likely a loss no matter what we do. The Lakers are far and away the best team in the league. No other team comes close. But I hope they're at least compe ive and use it as a learning experience.
    Prime trap game for the Lakers. 4th game in 6 days and AD already with his patented calf strain. I can see one of the big guys resting already and the spurs jump on them early and coast on an early lead the rest of the way. Not putting money on it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the bubble Pop has looked more engaged with actual coaching than he's been in a while. Last couple of seasons a lot of it seemed like on autopilot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime trap game for the Lakers. 4th game in 6 days and AD already with his patented calf strain. I can see one of the big guys resting already and the spurs jump on them early and coast on an early lead the rest of the way. Not putting money on it though.
    If game 3 is a sign of things to come, there's reason to believe in this team's ceiling being high. I'd rather take sloppiness as a weakness versus having poor athleticism and traffic cone defense. The former you can fix, the latter you can't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once White is healthy and ready to go
    Sit Murray start White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sit Murray start White
    Better let White handle the ball as PG and let Murray in effect be SG/SF and do his thing on D and rebounding. White and Murray on perimeter D is a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sit Murray start White
    Nah, have him come off the bench and make sure he finishes games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is the complement for him (DJ). Defensively, both players can guard 1s and 2s and have the versatility to cover wings in switch situations. While Dejounte is strongest creating in drive and kick situations and looks less comfortable in traditional half court sets, Derrick is poised and capable of running slower sets. Derrick coming back and pushing Lonnie more into a shot creation role with the second unit fits his development timeline and skillset as well. He's shown flashes of being able to create off the bounce, but looks nervous at times without consistent reps.

Lamarcus is the Bryn Forbes of big men. Last nights benching to me is a great sign from pop and says he won't be captive to a lack of effort coasting on past achievements. I expect Jakob gets more run with the first unit to guard the athleticism of opposing starting units and Lamarcus gets more and more time trying to feast with the bench against weaker subs. So far, Pop seems to have a clear idea of who needs to be in when, is quick to call timeouts in momentum situations, and made a great change in switching to zone last night after LA let them take us by the balls in the 3rd.
    Yes completely agree.
    I'd really like to know who influenced Pop to change and start using common sense strategies. IMO no way in he switched on his own. Someone within the org grew some balls and approached the subject moving onto smart decisions vs of his asininely low BBIQ starting lineups and rotations of the past 2 years if not longer.
    Either way it's sure nice to see now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, have him come off the bench and make sure he finishes games.
    That can work. Regardless i believe White and Murray can be on the floor at the same time if White is the primary PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When White is healthy, he should definitely start at PG with better handles and facilitating. Murray should focus on scoring. He fumbles when he tries to be too cute in getting the assist.
    LMA needs to get started EARLY, and I mean they need to feed the guy at the post to earn his trips at the line. That means surrounding him with people who will send the 3's, that includes Demar.
    I would've liked Lonnie to start. He earned it. At best he could play PG with the 2nd unit.
    Vassell needs more playing time. The kid is a natural, and should just play better with more minutes.
    I really like to see what Diop can do instead of Lyles. Diop is long and athletic. Last night should've been a good time to try Keldon on Ingram and Diop on Zion, just so Ingram had different defender. He was owning Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ
    DD
    IV
    KJohnson
    LMA

Fabulous start and eventual 118-109 win over the LA Flamers.
    Our transition game O and D was good.
    DJ was game MVP. Balling on O and D.
    LMA shots were falling, huge helo.

Last half of the 3rd was ghastly, staning around and Patty got stuck too many times. But in fairness, Pop was resting the crew for the 4th. Resumed control of the game when starters went back in.
    DD continues to set other Spurs up, i like it.
    Poodle really needs to do something with the ball quicky when he is not shooting. Fake a shot, make a quick pass. Do something. It's becoming 4 on 5 on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair EVERYONE sucked at treys vs Warriors tonight. 3-32 and there's still a minute left as i type this.
    9.4% on treys. Got to be a record. Both % and # of misses?
    Nonetheless, is Gramps sticking with LMA / Derosian starting lineup? Is there any other choice given this roster?

At least LMA attempted 3 treys so i don't know that we can blame clog ball. We can't.

I think we’ve all noticed this without needing numbers but here they are:

The kids have been better without the Spurs’ stars

Point differential per 100 possessions and overall, for the San Antonio Spurs when Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker and Keldon Johnson have played with and without DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge
    ON THE COURT NUMBER OF POSSESSIONS DIFF. PER
    100 POSS.
    OVERALL POINT DIFF.
    With DeRozan and Aldridge 275 -3.0 -8
    With DeRozan, without Aldridge 156 +3.6 +6
    With Aldridge, without DeRozan 93 -2.4 -2
    With neither 103 +31.1 +32
    Since the start of the 2019-20 season through Jan. 18, 2021. Stats exclude garbage-time possessions.
    SOURCE: CLEANING THE GLASS

Last edited by MultiTroll; 01-21-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: 4-33. Trey Jones just popped one before the buzzer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop just doesn’t run any sets. It’s all pass the ball around at the top of the key until the shotclock is at 10 seconds, drive, kick it out and then settle for a contested jump shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Why on Earth should Aldridge continue to start?

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop has possibly the worst defensive scheme in the league

No matter how much defensive talent he has it won’t matter because opposing guards will just call a pick and the spurms will switch Lamarsha onto it. Doc Rivers used to skull Pop every time doing it with CP3 and Tim.

And since the big can’t handle the opposing guard on his own, the help on the sides will over commit and leave their guy open for 3 each time. It’s no wonder they give up the most 3’s in the league. The book is out on Poop

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly can't even tell wtf our defensive strategy is when poeltl is not in the game...

I can tell that part of our strategy is to have LMA sag into the pain when he is put in the pick and roll but it is a disaster because he does not get out in time to challenge a 3, he does not do anything to keep a player in front of him, and he does not challenge anything at the rim...he always ends up in this position where he is to far away to challenge an open 3 and to far away from the rim to challenge a layup...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are starting him to try and justify that 24 million that they are paying him this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop has possibly the worst defensive scheme in the league

No matter how much defensive talent he has it won’t matter because opposing guards will just call a pick and the spurms will switch Lamarsha onto it. Doc Rivers used to skull Pop every time doing it with CP3 and Tim.

And since the big can’t handle the opposing guard on his own, the help on the sides will over commit and leave their guy open for 3 each time. It’s no wonder they give up the most 3’s in the league. The book is out on Poop
    Those schemes left with Messina and Udoka. Old man has no clue what to do without competent assistants

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs 111 Phoenix 85
    April 17th, 2021
    For one game only.

Why can we not have the same starting lineup?

Eubanks 6-6 with 13 rebounds.
    L. Samanic
    K. Johnson
    D. White
    D. Murray

Tonight?
    Back to the same for a 20 point ass raping by the Heat. Was a 6 point game, CIA Pop inserted Stood Muh Ground Patty who got lit by Herrio.

Thread Information