Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If others mask up and social distance at a high rate, the answer seems to be yes.
    If others mask up...

That's too many variables. What does "others mask up" have to do with "do masks protect the WEARER"?

So if others are masked up and someone isn't wearing a mask, is that person now at a risk of contracting the virus vs being masked? If so then the masks aren't preventing the spread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If others mask up...

That's too many variables. What does "others mask up" have to do with "do masks protect the WEARER"?

So if others are masked up and someone isn't wearing a mask, is that person now at a risk of contracting the virus vs being masked? If so then the masks aren't preventing the spread.
    It's not my fault if you can only see one or two people at a time and a single variable.

Check yer blind spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now the mask protects the wearer?
    a typical surgical mask would provide some incidental protection to the wearer, though that is not the primary benefit. a different mask like an N95 would protect the wearer more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now the mask protects the wearer?
    Happy New Year, DMC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If others mask up...

It mostly works the other way. If you have the virus -presumably you wouldnt be a sociopath and don't know- and you don't wear a mask then you are spreading the all over the place. People make contact with surfaces your is on or your crap in the air gets on them.

The mask does protect you to a certain extent. It prevents you from breathing it in directly. However if a maskless carrier is spreading it all over you or you interact with things where they have been then you can get it the next time you eat or when you get home and take off your clothes etc. That is the point of handwashing.

The virus can incubate for up to two weeks so there are a whole lot of people that don't know. That is the point of staying at home whether you have symptoms or not.

It requires community effort of course which is anathema to your objectivist ideals but it is there just the same. The point is not to ensure protection. The point is to make things safer. The only thing that would ensure safety would be draconian quarantine measures. It's why so many draconian states have done so well with this.

There are several good writeup in sci-am, JAMA, and the NEJM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prove she came back to life.
    Bwahahahahhahahahahah ChumpDumper bwahahahhahahaHhahahahHHHhHHHhzHHahahha

Lied about people dying. Must work for cdc

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It mostly works the other way. If you have the virus -presumably you wouldnt be a sociopath and don't know- and you don't wear a mask then you are spreading the all over the place. People make contact with surfaces your is on or your crap in the air gets on them.

The mask does protect you to a certain extent. It prevents you from breathing it in directly. However if a maskless carrier is spreading it all over you or you interact with things where they have been then you can get it the next time you eat or when you get home and take off your clothes etc. That is the point of handwashing.

The virus can incubate for up to two weeks so there are a whole lot of people that don't know. That is the point of staying at home whether you have symptoms or not.

It requires community effort of course which is anathema to your objectivist ideals but it is there just the same. The point is not to ensure protection. The point is to make things safer. The only thing that would ensure safety would be draconian quarantine measures. It's why so many draconian states have done so well with this.

Stop the nonsense. Science for decades has shown cloth masks to be useless. No one will ever know what is happening due to pcr tests.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weighting the risks doesn't factor into the cause of death.

If you're drowning so I try to save you but run you over in my boat and kill you, did you die from drowning? If instead you die of a heart attack while being pulled into the boat because of the strain on your body from the rescue, did you die from drowning?
    DMC downplaying covid deaths. Shocker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a typical surgical mask would provide some incidental protection to the wearer, though that is not the primary benefit. a different mask like an N95 would protect the wearer more.
    How is this not common knowledge by now?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone asking the kind of questions DMC asked is either stupidly ignorant or stupidly dishonest.

Take your pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    said in same thread where people are basically applauding the death of a 41 year old because of his politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy New Year, DMC.
    Same to you, bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So basically him not wearing a mask at times probably had little to nothing to do with this guy getting COVID. I mean, we aren't monitoring who's washing their hands or using poor hygiene practices with masks and other PPE.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have worn a mask, it's a bag move to go without one around others. However let's not keep getting the cart before the horse and pretending the mask protects the wearer when in reality it most likely offers very little protection sans all the other caveats. If you're going to say someone deserved to die because they didn't wear a mask, then how many of the total deaths were people who "deserved to die"? Of course those not in politics get a pass (unless they ever tweeted about masks from a conservative standpoint), because that blame can be placed on the outgoing POTUS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By now?

The CDC said masks provide no protection against the virus. The surgeon general said the same. Masks weren't invented in 2020.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a about the semantics? Wear your ing mask. It's not for you, it's for others. Stop being a selfish piece of . Happy New Year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine not wearing a mask and dying of covid at 41. lol
    Who gives a about the semantics? Wear your ing mask. It's not for you, it's for others. Stop being a selfish piece of . Happy New Year.
    Get with the program, Gina.

Happy New Year to you too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By now?

The CDC said masks provide no protection against the virus. The surgeon general said the same. Masks weren't invented in 2020.
    When were these comments made? What did they say exactly? Have they changed recommendations at all since then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When were these comments made? What did they say exactly? Have they changed recommendations at all since then?
    They were made long after the invent of masks.

The change wasn't made to protect the wearer.

By the time the change was made, millions were likely infected already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has been pointed to him a dozen times, his reiterations are pure bad faith and "agenda driven."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By now?

"Mistakes were made, the world continues to turn"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get with the program, Gina.

Happy New Year to you too.
    His point is valid. Republican congressmen like him have decided to set an example that it is unnecessary to wear masks in a group setting. Now he's dead. I'm glad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has been pointed to him a dozen times, his reiterations are pure bad faith and "agenda driven."
    Like I said before, one of these has to be true:

1. The CDC didn't know masks protect the wearer and gained sudden new knowledge in May of 2020 (impossible)
    2. The CDC knew the mask protects the wearer and lied to the public. (improbable)
    3. The CDC doesn't rely on the efficacy of masks to protect the wearer but to mitigate the spread from the wearer to others. (most likely)

This "protect the wearer" concept is ad hoc and lacks any real scientific basis. For a group that harps on following science, some of you sure don't seem to mind abandoning it for convenience.

It's enough to wear it to protect others from you, wearing is wearing, but the fad is now to use COVID as a scarlet letter "he didn't wear a mask, of course he got COVID". It doesn't follow the science.

or go blind, McGoo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His point is valid. Republican congressmen like him have decided to set an example that it is unnecessary to wear masks in a group setting. Now he's dead. I'm glad.
    You're celebrating COVID deaths. Winehole approves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Blake silent on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're celebrating COVID deaths. Winehole approves.
    There are certain people whose decisions have caused COVID deaths to be worse than they otherwise would have been.

I prefer for COVID to kill them vs. people who aren't thumbing their noses at science. Maybe his death will cause others in his circle to take things more seriously.

Thread Information