Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...ongress-452218
    Louisiana congressman-elect dies of Covid
    Luke Letlow was to have been sworn in Sunday.

By MELANIE ZANONA

12/29/2020 09:51 PM EST

Updated: 12/30/2020 12:48 AM EST

Rep.-elect Luke Letlow (R-La.) has died from the coronavirus, multiple sources confirmed Tuesday evening. He was 41.

Letlow, who announced on Dec. 18 that he tested positive for Covid-19, had been in the intensive care unit at Ochsner LSU Health in Shreveport.

"The family appreciates the numerous prayers and support over the past days but asks for privacy during this difficult and unexpected time," the family said in a statement that was first reported by the Monroe News-Star. "A statement from the family along with funeral arrangements will be announced at a later time."

Letlow, who served as chief of staff to former Rep. Ralph Abraham (R-La.) before being elected to fill that seat, was supposed to be sworn into Congress on Sunday. He is the first member or member-elect to die from the coronavirus, though dozens of lawmakers have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past year.

Letlow leaves behind a wife and two small children. He was initially admitted to a Monroe hospital on Dec. 19, but was transferred and placed in the ICU last week when his condition deteriorated.

Lawmakers and aides on Capitol Hill said they were devastated to learn of Letlow’s passing. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said in a brief statement that “our hearts break tonight as we process the news.”

The entire Louisiana delegation, led by House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, issued a joint statement offering their condolences.

“Luke had such a positive spirit, and a tremendously bright future ahead of him. He was looking forward to serving the people of Louisiana in Congress, and we were excited to welcome him to our delegation where he was ready to make an even greater impact on our state and our Nation,” the statement said.

“More than anything, Luke was a loving husband, father, brother, and son, and his family — like so many others who have been affected by this evil disease — needs our prayers.”

Gov. John Bel Edwards offered condolences via Twitter: "It is with heavy hearts that FirstLadyOfLA and I offer our condolences to Congressman-elect Luke Letlow’s family on his passing after a battle with COVID-19. #lagov."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi paid him tribute as well: “Congressman-elect Letlow was a ninth-generation Louisianan who fought passionately for his point of view and dedicated his life to public service. As the House grieves Congressman-elect Letlow’s passing, our sorrow is compounded by the grief of so many other families who have also suffered lives cut short by this terrible virus. May it be a comfort to Luke’s wife Julia and their children Jeremiah and Jacqueline that so many mourn their loss and are praying for them at this sad time.”

And Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the GOP conference chair in Congress, also mourned Letlow's passing: "Such devastating news about Congressman-elect Letlow. A tremendous loss - we will be praying for Luke and his family."

Louisiana's 5th District covers the northeast part of the state. Letlow had won a runoff Dec. 5 over another Republican, state Rep. Lance Harris, to settle one of the last undetermined races of the 2020 election cycle. Abraham had declined to seek reelection this year.

Before working for Abraham, Letlow had worked in the administration of Bobby Jindal, Louisiana's former governor.

On Twitter, Jindal said: "I first met Luke when he was still a college student, and spent countless hours with him in his truck driving the back roads of Louisiana. His passion for service has been a constant throughout his life."

Instances of candidates being elected to Congress and dying before they can be sworn in have been very rare. One notable instance was Jack Swigert, a former astronaut who was elected to a House seat in Colorado in 1982 but died of cancer in late December.

David Cohen contributed to this report.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a little to die at 41 of teh sniffles amirite?

you're my sweetie pie Cuppycake Gumdrop's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably didn’t live near a CVS or in da hood...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No underlying health conditions, 41 years old

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I know nothing about him but since he’s a Republican...

“If there’s a heaven son, he ain’t in it”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will they take control of his Twitter account to post anti-mask propaganda, like they did with the late Herman Cain?

Every cult needs sacrifices

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he not yet qualified for the elite healthcare Congress people get? 200 year old Chuck Grassley had it and knocked it in like 2 days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did he not yet qualified for the elite healthcare Congress people get? 200 year old Chuck Grassley had it and knocked it in like 2 days.
    He was supposed to be sworn in today or tomorrow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP

That being said. He owned the libs all the way to the bodybag

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thoughts and prayers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the ST Coronavirus experts told me only obese poor people die from Covid-19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides blithely putting his own cons uents in danger, he also seized on the public health emergency to lobby for shutting down reproductive health services in LA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

ironic last name. He’s definitely let lowed now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LSU Health Shreveport Chancellor G.E. Ghali said Letlow died from a heart attack following a procedure related to the infection.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, COVID killed him. Not motorcycles or brisket.

Darrin's looking for the upside of his death or blaming him for not going to CVS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shout out to the camera lady for being the only one with some common sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Karrin going foldren

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Karrin going foldren
    Drunken got hasn’t posted in a while but comes out of his drunken stupor to post about how he really died of a heart attack, no Covid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a little to die at 41 of teh sniffles amirite?
    Quick find all the outliers you can!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    LSU Health Shreveport Chancellor G.E. Ghali said Letlow died from a heart attack following a procedure related to the infection.
    Assuming this is true (which it probably isn’t or is at least a huge embellishment), you’re saying he died from a procedure that was only necessary in the first place because he had COVID, but the cause of his death wasn’t COVID?

According to Karrin logic no one ever dies due to AIDS since AIDS itself is never what kills people but actually other illnesses that people’s immune systems can’t fight if they have AIDS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming this is true (which it probably isn’t or is at least a huge embellishment), you’re saying he died from a procedure that was only necessary in the first place because he had COVID, but the cause of his death wasn’t COVID?

According to Karrin logic no one ever dies due to AIDS since AIDS itself is never what kills people but actually other illnesses that people’s immune systems can’t fight if they have AIDS.
    nobody dies from a car crash. only the internal bleeding.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shout out to all of the poor souls who died of surgery this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shout out to all of the poor souls who died of surgery this year.
    i hear surgery is one of the leading causes of death

same with ventilators

Thread Information