Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect we would have to attach an asset to Jakob to move him at this point. I’d be all for moving both him and Sammanic in a salary dump to help us go after both JA and Collins in free agency this summer.
    The JA dream is over. The Cavs don't trade for him without any intention of keeping him. Since they're a terrible organization, they'll likely overpay to keep him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect we would have to attach an asset to Jakob to move him at this point. I’d be all for moving both him and Sammanic in a salary dump to help us go after both JA and Collins in free agency this summer.
    Nah, an underwhelming 10-12 game stretch won't supersede years of evidence that he positively impacts winning.

In a vacuum, sure some of these C's being bandied about are better than Poeltl, but I'm not interested in paying significantly more for a similar archetype when the more pressing need at the position is a shooting five and the most pressing positional need is a four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The JA dream is over. The Cavs don't trade for him without any intention of keeping him. Since they're a terrible organization, they'll likely overpay to keep him.
    You are probably right on this, could see him getting 20+ a year if he keeps playing well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way Holmes or someone of his ilk would make sense, is if they trade Poeltl and while you could argue the merits of that, there's no reason to think it'd actually happen.

Can't afford multiple non shooting bigs in a rotation in today's league, especially when the youth on the perimeter isn't exactly known for this.

I think it could work, because you could split the minutes at C, and give Holmes a few extra minutes at PF with a shooting big alongside him.
    Poeltl is an average starting center and a great back up center, so I think it serves the Spurs well to put him in the position of a 24+ mpg bench player. They'd rarely if ever be on the floor together. But another aspect of Holmes is his steadily improving shooting-- the one year he averaged over 1 3ptFGA per game, he shot 35%, and his numbers indicate he's probably ready to add that back to his game. His FG% over his career shows impressive nonstop improvement (.514, .558, .560, .608, .648, .688) as does his FT% (.689, .699, .661, .731, .788, .844).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it could work, because you could split the minutes at C, and give Holmes a few extra minutes at PF with a shooting big alongside him.
    Poeltl is an average starting center and a great back up center, so I think it serves the Spurs well to put him in the position of a 24+ mpg bench player. They'd rarely if ever be on the floor together. But another aspect of Holmes is his steadily improving shooting-- the one year he averaged over 1 3ptFGA per game, he shot 35%, and his numbers indicate he's probably ready to add that back to his game. His FG% over his career shows impressive nonstop improvement (.514, .558, .560, .608, .648, .688) as does his FT% (.689, .699, .661, .731, .788, .844).
    I've got one superstar (Jokic), one borderline one (Embiid) and five star (Towns, Gobert, Adebayo, Sabonis, Vucevic) C's and they're the only ones I'd be willing to eat significant cap space on.

Since none are realistic, I'm content with Poeltl at a low number (presuming he starts and average 24-28 mpg going forward) and would primarily focus on finding a long term solution at "PF". If it's a 4.5 like Collins, he'd basically kill two birds with one stone, as far as solving that, as well as the need for a stretch big who can eat backup C minutes. At that point, sign some inexpensive backup C to play a fringe rotation role. If it's the more ideal 3.5 type, they'll need more of a platoon type C, who can space the floor (Olynyk?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've got one superstar (Jokic), one borderline one (Embiid) and five star (Towns, Gobert, Adebayo, Sabonis, Vucevic) C's and they're the only ones I'd be willing to eat significant cap space on.

Since none are realistic, I'm content with Poeltl at a low number (presuming he starts and average 24-28 mpg going forward) and would primarily focus on finding a long term solution at "PF". If it's a 4.5 like Collins, he'd basically kill two birds with one stone, as far as solving that, as well as the need for a stretch big who can play backup C. At that point, sign some inexpensive backup C to play a fringe rotation role. If it's the more ideal 3.5 type, they'll need more of a platoon type C, who can space the floor (Olynyk?).
    A big part of the original appeal of Holmes was that he was relatively unknown, and wouldn't command the type of salary that John Collins would, i.e., wouldn't eat significant cap space. We'll see what happens. But barring a true star (and actual difference maker on the floor), I'd rather the Spurs sign two quality net positive players rather than spending their cap room on the max for Collins, who I think is similar to DeRozan-- great max-type numbers, with a less-than-max effect on winning.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A big part of the original appeal of Holmes was that he was relatively unknown, and wouldn't command the type of salary that John Collins would, i.e., wouldn't eat significant cap space. We'll see what happens. But barring a true star (and actual difference maker on the floor), I'd rather the Spurs sign two quality net positive players rather than spending their cap room on the max for Collins, who I think is similar to DeRozan-- great max-type numbers, with a less-than-max effect on winning.
    He won't cost what Collins will, but he will cost a relatively significant amount, which will make it more difficult to properly address "PF".

I'm on the fence with Collins, but I'd get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno-- Allen is a pretty smart & independent guy. I don't know if he stays with Cleveland just because they can offer a little more money. This is the guy who would walk to the arena in Brooklyn from his place, and high five people in the streets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I understand it correctly, it won't take much for the Spurs to pry Holmes away from the Kings. The Kings are $12 mil away from being hard capped. So any $12+ mil a year offer to Holmes would be enough for the Kings to let him go. From what I'm reading, his value may be more around $17 mil a year, similar to what White is making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I understand it correctly, it won't take much for the Spurs to pry Holmes away from the Kings. The Kings are $12 mil away from being hard capped. So any $12+ mil a year offer to Holmes would be enough for the Kings to let him go. From what I'm reading, his value may be more around $17 mil a year, similar to what White is making.
    You are assuming PATFO are even interested.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are assuming PATFO are even interested.
    Bruh we talk about everything and everybody on here. That's what makes it fun. Examine all possibilities so when one of them happens, we kinda know what we have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can and will move money arround to accomodate him if they deem him inexpendable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the upgrade in that department will come via draft.

Plus, there is Samanic to keep in mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alex Len anybody?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno-- Allen is a pretty smart & independent guy. I don't know if he stays with Cleveland just because they can offer a little more money. This is the guy who would walk to the arena in Brooklyn from his place, and high five people in the streets.
    why?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we move LMA somewhere for some reason then he might make sense at the end of the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be interested in him for the Min. I was surprised to see him released since I have not heard of locker room issues. He has had some ok season and is more in the mold of LMA then Potel.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another player I would like us to give a contract to is Thon Maker. Also could be had for leg min. We sign them at the end see what they can do and go from there. this doesnt hurt cap space for next year and since we need 4/5 there should be playing time. Especially if LMA was traded these would be two players I would like to see us go after.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the upgrade in that department will come via draft.

Plus, there is Samanic to keep in mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Masai is letting him go its a hard pass.

Thread Information