6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    There needs to be a rule that there are no automatic playoff bids for division winners who do not exceed .500, let alone reach it.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    There needs to be a rule that there are no automatic playoff bids for division winners who do not exceed .500, let alone reach it.
    Disagreed 100%. Then you'd end up like the ty jewish-washed NBA where divisions don't even matter anymore. The NBA had it right up until 2006, but then gradually ruined it from there.

Plus, the last two teams to make it in below .500 won their wild card round home game. It adds drama and is exciting. Your opinion is flat-out objectively wrong.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Disagreed 100%. Then you'd end up like the ty jewish-washed NBA where divisions don't even matter anymore. The NBA had it right up until 2006, but then gradually ruined it from there.

Plus, the last two teams to make it in below .500 won their wild card round home game. It adds drama and is exciting. Your opinion is flat-out objectively wrong.
    NFL is not NBA. If you have the advantage of playing sh** teams 6X and you still can't reach .500, then you don't deserve the playoffs. San Fran, Zona, Minnesota, and even arguably Atlanta and Carolina are better teams than Washington. Putting Washington in the playoffs is worse than putting Detroit in the playoffs. Nothing interesting about losing teams. You should be above this; but I guess your homerism is getting the best of you.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    NFL is not NBA. If you have the advantage of playing sh** teams 6X and you still can't reach .500, then you don't deserve the playoffs. San Fran, Zona, Minnesota, and even arguably Atlanta and Carolina are better teams than Washington. Putting Washington in the playoffs is worse than putting Detroit in the playoffs. Nothing interesting about losing teams. You should be above this; but I guess your homerism is getting the best of you.
    What the do you mean by homerism? I have no loyalty to the Redskins and I hope they (rightfully) will get crushed by the Tampa Toms in round 1.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    What the do you mean by homerism? I have no loyalty to the Redskins and I hope they (rightfully) will get crushed by the Tampa Toms in round 1.
    You're a Cowboys fan. NFC East reflects poorly on them.

Come on now.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    If I'm correct, the invention of divisions in US sports had it's reasoning on the need of saving travelling expenses. On these times, these travelling expenses aren't what they used to be. Imho, the existance of divisions, and even conferences, is an outdated convention that doesn't present many advantages nowadays. They should be erased in favour of a better product. Imagine getting Peyton-Brady superbowls back in their days.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    Divisions shouldn't matter, they're arbitrary.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    If I'm correct, the invention of divisions in US sports had it's reasoning on the need of saving travelling expenses. On these times, these travelling expenses aren't what they used to be. Imho, the existance of divisions, and even conferences, is an outdated convention that doesn't present many advantages nowadays. They should be erased in favour of a better product. Imagine getting Peyton-Brady superbowls back in their days.
    Wrong.
    Divisions shouldn't matter, they're arbitrary.
    Wrong again.

Divisions are all about rivalry and tradition. Imagine no Bears-Packers, Steelers-Ravens, or Cowboys-Eagles in a given year. Remember how the Big 12 declined with the loss of Texas A&M? Completely ing up the NFL into a 32 team free for all would be that on steroids; it would be downright re ed.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The NFL needs to understand that the status quo is good and stop trying to implement so much goddamn change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it; the ultimate, greatest maxim of life. Don't violate it.

The rule changes have been bad and downright unfair on defenses; such that impressive QB seasons are almost mundane to watch because we all know about the PI, RTP, IC enforcements being more than a bit harsh with offensive holdings called at a record low rate in 2020.

The only 2 changes that the NFL has made in the past decade that is good is increasing the extra point distance to 33 yards (the chip shot was re ed) and now the change that we're about to see this weekend, expanding the brackets to 7 teams so that only the best team on either side gets to bye; that change is one I've called for for about a decade, ever since 10-6 teams were left out on the NFC side in 2009-2010 and who knows what the Cassell Patriots would have done in 2008.

Dumb rule changes:

-Kickoff touchbacks going from the 20 to the 25. Gives an unfair advantage to the receiving team/offense, especially in late game situations.
    -Challenging PI calls; but they nixed it after one year, fortunately

Dumber rule changes:

-Consistent enforcement of DPI and RTP (though the more famous the QB, the more likely the RTP call) with lack of OPI and OH enforcement, especially holding on pass plays

Dumbest rule change:

-Increasing the likelihood of tied final scores (a TIE? Nobody wants a ing tie, except for dunces like Kliff Kingsbury and John Harbaugh I guess) by reducing OT in the regular season to a mere 10 minutes instead of 15, and not making a contingency plan to eliminate tie scores, like a kicker field-goal kick off, my idea and the best idea. [No, not the college OT rules; those suck and would just inflate scores artificially.]

Again, nobody likes a tied final score. The outcome is painful for both sides. Find a way to make sure there is a winner in every game. Preseason notwithstanding; ties in preseason are OK.

The Ultimate Dumbest Rule Change:

-Would be if they actually approve a change to a (re ed) 17 game regular season. Odd number, meaning disproportionate number of home and away games, meaning compe ive imbalance.

I would downright quit watching the NFL just like I quit watching the NBA after 2017, if this actually happened.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    Wrong.

Wrong again.

Divisions are all about rivalry and tradition. Imagine no Bears-Packers, Steelers-Ravens, or Cowboys-Eagles in a given year. Remember how the Big 12 declined with the loss of Texas A&M? Completely ing up the NFL into a 32 team free for all would be that on steroids; it would be downright re ed.
    The OP wasn't suggesting to eliminate divisions altogether. He just said you shouldn't make the playoffs with a losing record, even if you won your division.

Since division winners RARELY have a losing record, this wouldn't even be a change most of the time. It would only be a change when we have a got ass division like the NFC East in 2020.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    The NFL needs to understand that the status quo is good and stop trying to implement so much goddamn change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it; the ultimate, greatest maxim of life. Don't violate it.

The rule changes have been bad and downright unfair on defenses; such that impressive QB seasons are almost mundane to watch because we all know about the PI, RTP, IC enforcements being more than a bit harsh with offensive holdings called at a record low rate in 2020.

The only 2 changes that the NFL has made in the past decade that is good is increasing the extra point distance to 33 yards (the chip shot was re ed) and now the change that we're about to see this weekend, expanding the brackets to 7 teams so that only the best team on either side gets to bye; that change is one I've called for for about a decade, ever since 10-6 teams were left out on the NFC side in 2009-2010 and who knows what the Cassell Patriots would have done in 2008.

Dumb rule changes:

-Kickoff touchbacks going from the 20 to the 25. Gives an unfair advantage to the receiving team/offense, especially in late game situations.
    -Challenging PI calls; but they nixed it after one year, fortunately

Dumber rule changes:

-Consistent enforcement of DPI and RTP (though the more famous the QB, the more likely the RTP call) with lack of OPI and OH enforcement, especially holding on pass plays

Dumbest rule change:

-Increasing the likelihood of tied final scores (a TIE? Nobody wants a ing tie, except for dunces like Kliff Kingsbury and John Harbaugh I guess) by reducing OT in the regular season to a mere 10 minutes instead of 15, and not making a contingency plan to eliminate tie scores, like a kicker field-goal kick off, my idea and the best idea. [No, not the college OT rules; those suck and would just inflate scores artificially.]

Again, nobody likes a tied final score. The outcome is painful for both sides. Find a way to make sure there is a winner in every game. Preseason notwithstanding; ties in preseason are OK.

The Ultimate Dumbest Rule Change:

-Would be if they actually approve a change to a (re ed) 17 game regular season. Odd number, meaning disproportionate number of home and away games, meaning compe ive imbalance.

I would downright quit watching the NFL just like I quit watching the NBA after 2017, if this actually happened.
    When this arbitrary divisions creation causes undeserving teams to make the playoffs, I would say the is broken and needs fixing, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    The OP wasn't suggesting to eliminate divisions altogether. He just said you shouldn't make the playoffs with a losing record, even if you won your division.

Since division winners RARELY have a losing record, this wouldn't even be a change most of the time. It would only be a change when we have a got ass division like the NFC East in 2020.
    Which is fine with me. Of course, I'd be willing to go away from the division format altogether. But if the traditionalists want to keep it, then at least have that rule in place.

Expanding on the subject of divisions, I don't think people even care that much about preserving division rivalries in general now. NFC North and NFC East tend to be the most intriguing (except NFC East was a pile of sh** this year); and Steelers-Ravens has been great on the AFC side of things. But I don't think people are that attached. I agree that they were built on limiting travel costs in the first place; and that need no longer exists.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Preseason, but still...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I'm surprised how much Dak I see in national advertisements.

Thread Information