Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make dunks worth 3pts or possibly even 4pts. Teams will go back to designing plays to go inside and get us some exciting dunks instead of all this outside shooting that has lost its luster. Dunks are probably the most difficult shot to come by and should be worth the most. Three's are becoming like layups for these guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, just eliminate corner threes by not having the three point line arc. Push it back to 25 feet and have it trail off towards the sidelines.

Players who can't really shoot won't be able to just launch 3's like crazy while player who can get to the rim or work in the midrange will see their value improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA doesn’t see this as a problem, so they won’t do anything. Casuals apparently think the 3 pointer is exciting, even at like 80 attempts per contest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1- allow physicality in the perimeter or prohibits physicality in the internal game, creating a real balance to the game
    2- prevent any movement of screens (and they happen on 9 out of 10 screens) >> decreases the ease of creating incompatibilities or offensive advantage situations >> decreases open shots >> decreases the efficiency of external shots >> makes the new "right way" to play really necessitate the creation of intelligent and varied situations, instead of the current pick and roll / illegal screen / drive and kick, rinse and repeat...

that is, they just need to officiate the game in the right way and it will normalize on its own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn’t like fancy dunks

I’m also not a big fan of teams chucking 3’s. But in their defense, they have to be really good to make it work, and still play great defense on the other side of the floor. Dubs had one of the best defense and that won them the chapionships and not just 3’s. The Lakers are not just chucking 3’s. They attack you in and out. Granted they have Davis who can knock them from the outside, but who can punish his defender down low. I myself wouldn’t like a fancy dunk just to score 3 or 4 points, and risk catapulting in the grandstand. Imo the best way is to defend 3’s with effective closeouts, big men who can switch adequately and use their length to defend the 3’s, and also knock them when available. Last night Jazz were 21 of 41 attempts. That’s 51%. Bognadovich had 28pts. And a lot of them were open shots, likewise with Wes Matthews the other night. Spurs simply need to play better defense closing out. Granted we didn’t have better interior defense to contain Gorbert that forced the help. Poeltl needs to wake up and do a better job, to minimize help defense leaving their guys. Again it boils down to defense imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've actually seen the idea of getting rid of the charge, as means to encourage more driving, as fix. I don't know if I buy it but having players look to undercut other players by trying to take charges near the basket might be an unintended consequence to the rule if players are more weary of attacking.

Personally, I think that its starting younger with players emulate the best players in the NBA. Kids are in middle and high school trying to shoot it like Steph and Dame. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1- allow physicality in the perimeter or prohibits physicality in the internal game, creating a real balance to the game
    This is a big problem imo. Right now defense isn't allowed to be played on the perimeter at all. Switch everything and raise your hands up hoping for a miss is all that's allowed. At the same time in the low post defenders can push, shove, hit and do just about anything without a foul being called. It's incredibly unbalanced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just get rid of the 3 pt line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a big problem imo. Right now defense isn't allowed to be played on the perimeter at all. Switch everything and raise your hands up hoping for a miss is all that's allowed. At the same time in the low post defenders can push, shove, hit and do just about anything without a foul being called. It's incredibly unbalanced.
    I wish Poeltl will push, shove, hit, scratch, bite, I don’t care, just man low so we can have our long guards stay with their man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just bring back hand checking. Simple solution. Also get rid of that stupid pick n roll foul move that all the stars seem to get away with now. They are trapping the defenders arm between two people, not being fouled. If anything, it's an offensive foul

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are lots of options out there to improve spacing. A different idea is to reduce the size of the paint to possibly reinvigorate the post game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've actually seen the idea of getting rid of the charge, as means to encourage more driving, as fix. I don't know if I buy it but having players look to undercut other players by trying to take charges near the basket might be an unintended consequence to the rule if players are more weary of attacking.

Personally, I think that its starting younger with players emulate the best players in the NBA. Kids are in middle and high school trying to shoot it like Steph and Dame. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.
    The charge is literally the last way that the NBA still allows players to D up. I think it’s abolishment would make the nba completely and utterly unwatchable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just bring back hand checking. Simple solution. Also get rid of that stupid pick n roll foul move that all the stars seem to get away with now. They are trapping the defenders arm between two people, not being fouled. If anything, it's an offensive foul
    It’s been the rule for a couple of years that as a defender, you cannot fight through a pick. You must go under or over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the easiest solution is changing the reward to 2.5 points rather than 3. Then a 40% shooter from 3 would net his team 100 pts per 100 shots, just as a 50% shooter on twos also nets his team 100 pts per 100 shots. But a guy who shoots 35% from three would only net 87.5 pts per 100, which would be the same as a guy shooting a mediocre 43.5% from two. The elite shooters would continue to be rewarded for being elite, but for mediocre shooters, the reward for shooting 33-35% from three would be at least partially removed.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 01-04-2021 at 11:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish Poeltl will push, shove, hit, scratch, bite, I don’t care, just man low so we can have our long guards stay with their man.
    Poeltl already has trouble staying on the floor as it is. Until he starts getting more respect from the refs, he would be fouled out in 5 minutes if he played that aggressive.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the easiest solution is changing the reward to 2.5 points rather than 3. Then a 40% shooter from 3 would net his team 100 pts per 100 shots, just as a 50% shooter on twos also nets his team 100 pts per 100 shots. But a guy who shoots 35% from three would only net 87.5 pts per 100, which would be the same as a guy shooting a mediocre 43.5% from two. The elite shooters would continue to be rewarded for being elite, but for mediocre shooters, the reward for shooting 33-35% from three would be at least partially removed.
    I like this, though half-points are never going to catch on. A way to do something similar with only whole numbers is to have shots behind the arc alternate being worth 2 and 3, and it only switches when you make one. Put some sort of green light on the shot clock to signify that the three-point line is "on", and making shots behind the arc toggles it on and off.

Perhaps turn it on permanently for the last two minutes of the game so comebacks are easier; the three-point line does make for exciting end-of-game situations.

A simpler "solution", though admittedly one that doesn't exactly accomplish the same goal, is to just turn the three-point line off in the first and third quarters.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make dunks worth 3pts or possibly even 4pts. Teams will go back to designing plays to go inside and get us some exciting dunks instead of all this outside shooting that has lost its luster. Dunks are probably the most difficult shot to come by and should be worth the most. Three's are becoming like layups for these guys.

How bout the spurs just get better at shooting 3s and catch up to the rest of the league.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    league just needs to get rid of the corner 3 and get rid of all the bull offensive-geared rule changes.

no corner 3
    no "freedom of movement" rules
    abolish defensive 3 seconds
    allow hand checking

bam, game because much more watchable

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bout they add a baseball and call the game baseket ball?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    How bout the spurs just get better at shooting 3s and catch up to the rest of the league.
    it's not even about getting "Better" it's about actually trying to make it a big part of their game. at one point in the game yesterday the Jazz had more makes from deep than the Spurs even attempted. taking 15 three pointers a game when your opponent is taking 40+ is not going to win. Pop is too concerned with constantly trying to run half court play when the other team just throws it downcourt and the first open guy takes the 3. sadly that is what the league is and the Spurs need to follow suit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let guys play defense again. That would be cool.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not even about getting "Better" it's about actually trying to make it a big part of their game. at one point in the game yesterday the Jazz had more makes from deep than the Spurs even attempted. taking 15 three pointers a game when your opponent is taking 40+ is not going to win. Pop is too concerned with constantly trying to run half court play when the other team just throws it downcourt and the first open guy takes the 3. sadly that is what the league is and the Spurs need to follow suit
    what ive noticed is that keldon is the only one that looks comfortable shooting 3s out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    league just needs to get rid of the corner 3 and get rid of all the bull offensive-geared rule changes.

no corner 3
    no "freedom of movement" rules
    abolish defensive 3 seconds
    allow hand checking

bam, game because much more watchable
    I like these, except for abolishing the corner 3, but it'd result in a bunch of 77-73 type of games and the league just won't have that. Not marketable.

From what I've seen this season Pop isn't even trying to have them run halfcourt sets, Spurs offense consists of one or two passes and then players taking turns attacking the rim relentlessly. Rarely even kicking out to shooters. They'll either have to start getting calls and going to the line more often, or change the offense completely. Defense is a total mess and it's probably not fixable this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA doesn’t see this as a problem, so they won’t do anything. Casuals apparently think the 3 pointer is exciting, even at like 80 attempts per contest.
    Bingo.

Casuals complained about low scoring games and the NBA worked for decades to increase scoring. They've achieved that goal.

Personally, I miss the NBA where teams could win with defense ... but I can see why a casual fan would prefer today's NBA compared to the mid-90s slugfests

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that after someone dunks, its kinda like a dunk contest. Depending on the difficulty the amount of points you get is up to a panel of judges on the front row. Once a dunk is performed during a game, the 5 judges stand and flash the points they would like to give 1 thru 5. An average tally is then assessed and that amount of points is added to said teams score.

Thread Information