Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I read that the McCombs are once again involved with the Spurs. Assuming I didn't just see old news, will this change the pressure from above to win or is there a long term plan these folks know about that would make them want to get involved again? Part of me thinks they are disgusted with the current situation and part thinks they believe the future is going to pay off. I am leaning more towards the payoff side, and that the ownership might be looking to diversify, become less invested individually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read that the McCombs are once again involved with the Spurs. Assuming I didn't just see old news, will this change the pressure from above to win or is there a long term plan these folks know about that would make them want to get involved again? Part of me thinks they are disgusted with the current situation and part thinks they believe the future is going to pay off. I am leaning more towards the payoff side, and that the ownership might be looking to diversify, become less invested individually.
    Red McCombs was never about winning. He killed the trade that would have sent Barkley here instead of to Phoenix, because he was too cheap to pay him. Same reason Strickland was allowed to walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, they’ll continue to be satisfied with losing, just like their family has with every other team they’ve ever been part of. Thankfully, I don’t think they’ll have much influence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true, hopefully they are disgusted by the product and will put pressure to make significant changes to personnel to improve the team.
    we have the superstar, now lets go from there.

I'm guessing this next offseason is THE offseason to make big moves. We have the money and draft capital to make a trade or entice a decent free agent hopefully.

But i know that winning cures all. If they begin winning next year, this year will be long forgotten and will be seen as a year that we were able to get Wemby fully acclimated to the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if it means the Spurs hold on to their cashcow Wemby. If they think they can get away with losing and make out like bandits for 10+ years of the Wemby era, then I doubt ownership cares. They are the business side of it, which usually is all about $$$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pathetic bag move All Time this has to be in the top 5:

McCombs gifted Mychal Thompson to the Lakers in Feb 1987.

It was exactly what the gots needed after getting their pushed in by Houston in 1986.

Of course Stern taking out Houstons back court was the major move.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCombs was a horrible owner and it really made you appreciate how amazing Drossos and Holt were. Drossos went out and paid for Mike Mitc and Artis Gilmore in subsequent years to try to get this team past the Lakers and to a le. Never did punch through that wall in LA but I'm still highly appreciative Angelo did everything he could to try to win this team a le. And I'll always be thankful for Peter Holt paying Manu and Tony to keep this team together despite having a net worth dwarfed by most of the other owners in the league. Only really bad cost cutting move was salary dumping Scola, but the good outweighs the bad so heavily in Holt's favor. Meanwhile McCombs was by orders of magnitude more rich than Drossos or Holt but nickel and dimed away David's prime by cheaping out on Barkley and then letting Rod Strickland walk for nothing, to be replaced by scrub ass Vinny Del Negro. I'm saddened to hear the bag McCombs are back owning a part of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pathetic bag move All Time this has to be in the top 5:

McCombs gifted Mychal Thompson to the Lakers in Feb 1987.

It was exactly what the gots needed after getting their pushed in by Houston in 1986.

Of course Stern taking out Houstons back court was the major move.
    People like to on the Spurs for that move but Brickowski was way better than Thompson and as a Spurs fan I think the Spurs won that trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCombs was a horrible owner and it really made you appreciate how amazing Drossos and Holt were. Drossos went out and paid for Mike Mitc and Artis Gilmore in subsequent years to try to get this team past the Lakers and to a le. Never did punch through that wall in LA but I'm still highly appreciative Angelo did everything he could to try to win this team a le. And I'll always be thankful for Peter Holt paying Manu and Tony to keep this team together despite having a net worth dwarfed by most of the other owners in the league. Only really bad cost cutting move was salary dumping Scola, but the good outweighs the bad so heavily in Holt's favor. Meanwhile McCombs was by orders of magnitude more rich than Drossos or Holt but nickel and dimed away David's prime by cheaping out on Barkley and then letting Rod Strickland walk for nothing, to be replaced by scrub ass Vinny Del Negro. I'm saddened to hear the bag McCombs are back owning a part of the team.
    holt was helped by duncan/manu/parker all playing below market value for most of their careers

porker was only really overpaid at the end of his career when he signed that 3 year max extension after already showing signs of decline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    holt was helped by duncan/manu/parker all playing below market value for most of their careers

porker was only really overpaid at the end of his career when he signed that 3 year max extension after already showing signs of decline
    Tim played for max contracts until he started getting old. Manu definitely took a paycut vs what Denver was offering in 04. Can't remember Tony's contract situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim played for max contracts until he started getting old. Manu definitely took a paycut vs what Denver was offering in 04. Can't remember Tony's contract situation.
    was duncan really getting max deals?

KG was regularly out-earning duncan and signing for deals at or over 20m per year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan's 2/40 deal was definitely below max. he could have earned 2/51 and chose to sign for less. according to the article, PATFO actually offered him the 2 year max then, but also showed what they could do to build the team if he accepted less, and he thought about it and took less

https://sports.yahoo.com/jy-tim102907.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan's 2/40 deal was definitely below max. he could have earned 2/51 and chose to sign for less. according to the article, PATFO actually offered him the 2 year max then, but also showed what they could do to build the team if he accepted less, and he thought about it and took less

Can’t wait to lose Wemby when the Holts and McCombs trying to convince his team that he should really take a 5/120 declining rookie extension deal to help the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was duncan really getting max deals?

KG was regularly out-earning duncan and signing for deals at or over 20m per year

Yes Tim was playing for max deals. KG made way more because there was no max salary when he signed his franchise crippling contract with the Wolves, and he was able to use that grandfathered contract to get higher base year salary than the CBA allowed on his next contracts in Minnesota.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes Tim was playing for max deals. KG made way more because there was no max salary when he signed his franchise crippling contract with the Wolves, and he was able to use that grandfathered contract to get higher base year salary than the CBA allowed on his next contracts in Minnesota.
    duncan signed his 3 year deal in 2000 when the magic offered him a 6 year deal, tho his salary for those 3 years was the max he was eligible for. i showed that his 2/40 deal was below the max. may be right on the big 7 year deal tho

edit: yeah just confirmed his 7/122 was also the max

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah I said he took paycuts when he got old. Eg when he was 34 when he signed that 2 year, $40 million deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan signed his 3 year deal in 2000 when the magic offered him a 6 year deal. i also showed that his 2/40 deal was below the max. may be right on the big 7 year deal tho
    Tim signed that three year deal so he could opt out in two if the team didn't build a winner around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim signed that three year deal so he could opt out in two if the team didn't build a winner around him.
    yeah i looked into it and you are right. he signed max deals on that 3 year deal and the subsequent 7 year deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i looked into it and you are right. he signed max deals on that 3 year deal and the subsequent 7 year deal
    Spurs would have definitely loved Tim to take that 7 year deal, but they were starting Jerome Kersey and Terry Porter at the time and looked older than dirt. And this was before Manu had blown up at Kinder Bologna. I expected Tim to come back since he had basically promised to return earlier in the year if the arena vote for the SBC Center passed but part of me thought it was a pretty dumb decision given he could have played with Grant Hill in Orlando back when Grant Hill looked like Kobe. But Pop and David closed the deal to get Tim back.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are losing. That's McCombs type of team, he'll feel right at home.

Holt needs to be more active.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the same family that brought in tark "the shark"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would have definitely loved Tim to take that 7 year deal, but they were starting Jerome Kersey and Terry Porter at the time and looked older than dirt. And this was before Manu had blown up at Kinder Bologna. I expected Tim to come back since he had basically promised to return earlier in the year if the arena vote for the SBC Center passed but part of me thought it was a pretty dumb decision given he could have played with Grant Hill in Orlando back when Grant Hill looked like Kobe. But Pop and David closed the deal to get Tim back.
    Grant was never that player in Orlando, having destroyed his ankle playing injured for Detroit the previous year,but I guess Tim couldn’t have looked into the future to see that.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Does McCombs coming in mean someone wanted out or wanted less of a stake?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCombs are wealthy

The wealthy priority, (the is no secondary), is MORE WEALTH

My guess is they expect VW to raise the value of the franchise

so the McCombs investment, to be liquidated after a couple years, is for $100Ms profit

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McCombs was a car salesman. Everything was all about making money. The Alamodome was a big scam to make himself richer, to chain an anchor around the city, and to the Spurs out of a decent arena.

Thread Information