Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    no point in making the playoffs. this team isn't going to improve internally enough to all of a sudden become a contender next year or the year after.

move demar, la, gay. winning regular season games isn't important. it hurts the team's future tbh.

it's long past time for the spurs to get real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. Young players rarely develop when being in 20 point losses every night. Better to play actual compe ive games.

Also, it's not like they'd get something significant for half a season rentals of Aldridge, Gay or DDR without compromising future cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it is, I’m not breaking this young core. They like to play together, and playing compe ive games will only help their development, and not from garbage time losing 20 points. Spurs need everything that they can get from the veterans to remain compe ive. But if a tanking team would take any of our expiring contracts for a Draymond, then it’s the best situation. Otherwise, Spurs have 80mil come free agency to lure a Collins or a 20/10 guy, and a bruiser big like Baynes. I would keep Mills if he’s taking the minimum. The jury is out on Demar if he can continue to play good with the young guys. But Aldridge, Gay and Lyles can go. Spurs can shop around their expiring contracts for what they can get, but I’m not breaking the young core in a package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it is, I’m not breaking this young core. They like to play together, and playing compe ive games will only help their development, and not from garbage time losing 20 points. Spurs need everything that they can get from the veterans to remain compe ive. But if a tanking team would take any of our expiring contracts for a Draymond, then it’s the best situation. Otherwise, Spurs have 80mil come free agency to lure a Collins or a 20/10 guy, and a bruiser big like Baynes. I would keep Mills if he’s taking the minimum. The jury is out on Demar if he can continue to play good with the young guys. But Aldridge, Gay and Lyles can go. Spurs can shop around their expiring contracts for what they can get, but I’m not breaking the young core in a package.
    I think it's somewhere in the mid 30's cap space wise after the white contract..right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's somewhere in the mid 30's cap space wise after the white contract..right?
    They have $57 mil committed for 8 players if they renounce everyone. Add the 1st round pick and min cap holds and they're looking at somewhere between 40 and 50 mil in cap space depending on what the salary cap will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have $57 mil committed for 8 players if they renounce everyone. Add the 1st round pick and min cap holds and they're looking at somewhere between 40 and 50 mil in cap space depending on what the salary cap will be.
    oh yeah there’s White. Well that’s why you guys are there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh yeah there’s White. Well that’s why you guys are there
    It should be enough for Collins if he so chooses the spurs. Also, allen from BKN wouldn't be a bad target either and should be cheaper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It should be enough for Collins if he so chooses the spurs. Also, allen from BKN wouldn't be a bad target either and should be cheaper.
    Jarrett Allen is seeking Capela money, I've read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is playing well with Tre right now. With Okongwu, they would be fun to watch. Our young core needs to compete well to attract better talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to get Collins and Allen. Think they would complement each other well in the front court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might already have that 20/10 guy in Keldon and Vassell could move into the starting lineup at 3. Spurs would need an Allen to secure the rim. No need to blow this team, they have a lot of options. And there’s still Luka if he pans out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

I don't think our expiring contracts are going to net us a lot in return, so unless we can get younger talented upgrades without jeopardizing the ability to re-sign our own younger players, I don't see us doing too much with trades this season. Who knows, maybe some team will get desperate to make the playoffs and offer something decent for one of our vets. I don't see it happening though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

I don't think our expiring contracts are going to net us a lot in return, so unless we can get younger talented upgrades without jeopardizing the ability to re-sign our own younger players, I don't see us doing too much with trades this season. Who knows, maybe some team will get desperate to make the playoffs and offer something decent for one of our vets. I don't see it happening though.
    I don't see Collins choosing Spurs over playing with Tre/Okongwu, but he could prefer Dubs for a chance to play with Curry and Klay, if Dubs have the money. Dubs can move Draymond for our expiring contracts. And they get a chance on other FA's, even probably Kawhi?? Draymond would fit perfectly with our defensive core.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might already have that 20/10 guy in Keldon and Vassell could move into the starting lineup at 3. Spurs would need an Allen to secure the rim. No need to blow this team, they have a lot of options. And there’s still Luka if he pans out.
    You really see Keldon getting 20 points and 10 rebounds a night consistently at his size?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really see Keldon getting 20 points and 10 rebounds a night consistently at his size?
    Barkley was 6'4. I don't want to prematurely compare Keldon to a HOF, but in todays NBA which averages 130 pts, 20/10 is not far off for a starting PF.
    But my point is, Keldon could be the center piece to build on.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barkley was 6'4. I don't want to prematurely compare Keldon to a HOF, but in todays NBA which averages 130 pts, 20/10 is not far off for a starting PF.
    But my point is, Keldon could be the center piece to build on.
    Keldon isn't built to be a center piece.... He is built as a decent, versatile combo forward. A quality second scorer on a contender any team that tries to build a contender around him is going to be a bit disappointed because he doesn't have the size to be dominant at the 4 or the speed to dominate at the 3. I like the guy.... He has quality starter written all over him some days he will carry a team but it's not a night in night out thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My idea of a successful season, at this point, is seeing KJ, Murray and Walker play at least 30 mpg and getting consistent minutes from Vassell. A top 10 pick to boot would certainly be nice tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon isn't built to be a center piece.... He is built as a decent, versatile combo forward. A quality second scorer on a contender any team that tries to build a contender around him is going to be a bit disappointed because he doesn't have the size to be dominant at the 4 or the speed to dominate at the 3. I like the guy.... He has quality starter written all over him some days he will carry a team but it's not a night in night out thing.
    But I don't agree that Keldon will just be a PF. Great players transcend to positionless players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its way too early to give up on the youngsters...this season will be a great learning experience from them to grow as professional basketball players...holding on to last night's victory will be a great lesson for their development...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I jumped on board the tank wagon. I want them to play all their young players first regardless of victory but I can see how that kind of atmosphere would cause tension amongst veterans who never signed up for that and now are on contract years. There are a couple of reasons to go about trying to make the playoffs.

1) Teaches younger guys the pressure of making the playoffs
    2) Cements the Spurs culture of making sure they do right by their veterans and especially those that they recently signed in free-agency (older vets gravitate towards Spurs which is a good thing to have)
    3 Spurs might be keying in on a few free agents that will only sign if they feel they can contend. The only convincing would be if the young core can perform in pressure situations such as a playoff push or actually in the playoffs.

Negatives:
    Lower draft picks
    Less playing time for young core.

It wold be a tough internal decision as the latter would sort of breakdown what they've built so far. After the preseason I was all in on the tank but after seeing a few games of the regular season, this seems fine for now.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're a 10 seed-quality team and not trying to get a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, you're doing it wrong and deserve to be fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said this a year ago but agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never underestimate giant desire.
    And he exudes it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're a 10 seed-quality team and not trying to get a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, you're doing it wrong and deserve to be fired.
    Not if you turn three 29 picks into top 10 players of their class.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Said this a year ago but agree
    I've been saying it since 2018 myself.

Thread Information