Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldons off ball defense was some of the worst I have ever seen. Beasley got so many open looks
    Him and Lonnie, i think it also has something to do with having no rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone catch Keldon holding back Poetl from talking back at Pop???

I think he's going to end up in the doghouse if he isn't in it already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Got a clip? Missed it... Also would be pretty disastrous if our backup C ends up in the doghouse less than 10 games into the season... Good or bad, we need the body to throw at the other team, lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree on low-IQ. We have low-IQ players, that are notably likely to go off the team in the short term, but the core of the team is not bad in that regard. White is clearly high IQ, so is Keldon, so is Vassell - I'm inclined to say Lonnie isn't showing it right now at his best, but also is. Rudy Gay being a low IQ player is hardly on my concern list, tbh. Also, drop some statistics if you're gonna be hyperbolic - I absolutely doubt the Spurs are the "worst defense in the NBA", especially considering we've just played the actual worst defensive team in the NBA. You also have the Wizards... Though I doubt you're catching up on their games. Seriously, drop me a stat or two, because there's not a lot of substance to your claims otherwise, especially when they're easily disputed by the eye test (the Spurs didn't do league-worst-defense bad this game, tbqh).

The Spurs are pretty unarguably better on defense than last season, tbh. It's still too early for trustworthy stats, but I have little doubt that they'll back up what I claim in time. Are we league best? No, nor close to it. But better than last season, which is enough for me right now as a watcher. Also, saying "nothing good about grinding out a W" is HILARIOUS after most of ST (myself included) spent the entirety of last season ting on this team for not closing out games, and losing winnable games against lesser compe ion. You seriously don't remember the 20pt embarrassment losses against the Bulls? The Hawks? The Cavs (one of them on Parker's retirement jersey night, if I'm not mistaken)? And now you say there's nothing good about grinding out W's? Come on..... Completely detached take from the continuity reality of this team.
    I dropped this link several times already:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/sta...hree-point-pct

Spurs are the worst 3-pt defense in the league. After tonight they'll be more than a percentage point worse than second to last.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/sta...ive-efficiency

Spurs are currently 22nd in defensive efficiency, but again after tonight that'll drop to around 25/26. You're correct in that Minny is the worst defense in the league, but the fact they're close to the worst team in the NBA in that category is not good.

I like most of our young players, but outside White none of them have a solid feel for the game. That may come with experience, but that just highlights the importance of having them grow in a high-IQ environment. No one will mistake LMA/DePression/Gay as high-IQ players on their best days, and their bad habits are starting to rub off on the young players, notably Murray and Lonnie. I don't know about you, but I don't wanna see Murray throwing a temper tantrum on the regular at the refs rather than getting back on D and pouting the rest of the game on the way to an L.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One wonders who will ultimately win the Lonnie-White-Devin battle for the second guard spot. DJ has really changed my mind and cemented a place in the SL, as has KJ

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop probably happy poodle shows some balls������ He plays soft way to often; I think pop is the master motivator if it’s in you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I saw it but thought Jakob was going after a ref.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got a clip? Missed it... Also would be pretty disastrous if our backup C ends up in the doghouse less than 10 games into the season... Good or bad, we need the body to throw at the other team, lmao
    And we definitely don't need Eubanks logging serious minutes ever again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs are the worst 3-pt defense in the league. After tonight they'll be more than a percentage point worse than second to last.

Spurs are currently 22nd in defensive efficiency, but again after tonight that'll drop to around 25/26. You're correct in that Minny is the worst defense in the league, but the fact they're close to the worst team in the NBA in that category is not good.

I like most of our young players, but outside White none of them have a solid feel for the game. That may come with experience, but that just highlights the importance of having them grow in a high-IQ environment. No one will mistake LMA/DePression/Gay as high-IQ players on their best days, and their bad habits are starting to rub off on the young players, notably Murray and Lonnie. I don't know about you, but I don't wanna see Murray throwing a temper tantrum on the regular at the refs rather than getting back on D and pouting the rest of the game on the way to an L.
    Wait, you do realize that you told me the Spurs had the worst defense in the league, then you link me stats that actively say the Spurs don't have the worst defense in the league, right?

Beyond that (and the fact that having the worst 3pt defense is not equal to worst defense, as the Bucks proved last season with their drop-D scheme), I don't disagree with the rest of what you're saying. I still (if you've read my recent posts on the DJ thread, you'll know) want the Spurs to ship off some of these vets, maybe even a young player or two, and tank this season out. I don't think these short-term Ws will help them in the long term. But tbh, as a fan, you sort of have to learn when to fight against the current, and when not to - the Spurs are clearly and unequivocally committed to making the playoffs this season, so if they manage a good win, why not celebrate it? At its crux, I think this is where I and depressive posters like you will disagree. I'm just going along with the ride, seeing the young players grow, seeing the game-by-game improvements, which thankfully have been plentiful to start this season. The Spurs are actually playing well, even if their defensive rating isn't league-beating.

And, speaking on that - you have to take into account that this is a mostly young team now. We're not in the Big 3 era anymore, with seasoned, championship-experienced vets closing out games in classy fashion; these are 20-something youngings, making mistakes and learning on the fly. I'm not expecting them to top the league in defense or whatever. Having witnessed the embarrassment that last season was, I'm just dandy seeing them fight out games, give full effort, and manage to wring out wins, however ugly they might be. It's ok if we disagree there, everyone is a fan for different reasons I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rob u keep calling Minny a bad team pointing to their record while not acknowledging as others pointed out that they were missing their best player. Before he went down they beat the Jazz who killed us.
    And relying on Mills scoring isn't really a bad look. Did he not tell us he would so this? Does he not do this for Australia? It's always been in him.
    Last edited by ismael-robert; 01-10-2021 at 12:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will post tomorrow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I look up the table, of the top 7 in this list there is a total of 0 team having a better win/lose record than the Spurs. So I say let the rest of the league have a better 3 pt defence record and let the Spurs have a better win/lose record than the rest of them. End of the day it's the win/lose record that matters and not any other record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look up the table, of the top 7 in this list there is a total of 0 team having a better win/lose record than the Spurs. So I say let the rest of the league have a better 3 pt defence record and let the Spurs have a better win/lose record than the rest of them. End of the day it's the win/lose record that matters and not any other record.
    not a huge prediction but if the Spurs remain at the bottom of that ranking their win/loss record won't be so hot my dude

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a huge prediction but if the Spurs remain at the bottom of that ranking their win/loss record won't be so hot my dude
    True, but there's some context as well - Spurs have played a very tough schedule so far, have had important players missing games ( in fact they've not had their full team in a single game yet ), their opponents have been shooting lights out. Also Spurs are uncharacteristically bad at rebounding margins and allowing second chance points and points in the paint as well. And despite of all that they've fought and won a good amount of games so far. Now, an optimist would say some regression to the mean would be in their favour and a pessimist would say their record is better than it should be. It's an entertaining season so far, though, no doubt about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's like two stupid statements at once, so good job.
    Which part do you think is stupid? You don't think a contending team would trade for Fatty? You don't think the Spurs could get a late 1st rounder for him?

Pretty dense tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, tbh. Certain defensive metrics are just a result of what your defense is willing to give up - the best modern offenses also tend to have the worst opposing midrange % defended, because that's the kinds of shots they're giving up. I still think giving up 3's like the Spurs are doing is not a good strategy in the modern game, and a lot of the ones we give up aren't due to scheme but defensive lapses (which probably will get better through the season), but it's still only one defensive metric, and not a comprehensive analysis.

At the end of the day, Spurs have been playing above anyone's expectations coming into the season - it's actually making me re-think my stance on the vets. The team is just gelling so well right now, and the results are translating into good wins and improvement for the young players... Hard to break up something like that just for a late first rounder, tbqh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Forgot Hernangomez aka LkrFan played for Minny tbh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year the Bucks gave up the 3rd-most 3PA per 100 possessions (behind TOR and MIA), and were 15th in opponent's 3PT%. Yet their defense was the best in the league by a good margin.

Prioritizing paint defense is a viable strategy, at least if you have good enough rim protectors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No ref where Poetl's looking, I think
    BillMc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No ref where Poetl's looking, I think
    BillMc
    True, but watching it again, I just think KJ was chatting with him, probably about some tactics, not that Jakob was going after Pop.

ST likes melodrama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but watching it again, I just think KJ was chatting with him, probably about some tactics, not that Jakob was going after Pop.

ST likes melodrama.
    From the T-Wolves feed:

Pop clearly yelling at Poetl here. Poetl may not have been going "after Pop", but Keldon for sure looks like he's trying to restrain him from responding to Pop... not to talk about any tactics. Still think it's "melodrama"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the T-Wolves feed:

Pop clearly yelling at Poetl here. Poetl may not have been going "after Pop", but Keldon for sure looks like he's trying to restrain him from responding to Pop... not to talk about any tactics. Still think it's "melodrama"?
    Yes, I do. Pretty normal scene.

Thread Information